• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't know why, but the 900p in Unity and this game look so much worse than the 900p in Battlefront for whatever reason.

In some ways I feel like Black Flags is still the best looking AC game on consoles.

Unfair comparison, to be honest. Flag was 1080p on PS4. But then again, it was an upscaled PS3 port, with insanely less level of detail. Black Flag was a joke compared to Unity and Syndicate in terms of density.

Black Flag's biggest town was like 10% of either Paris or London, and it still required a loading screen.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Does it seem like Evie is the intended "primary" of the two characters to anyone else?

I really like that she is - I actually am thinking I would've preferred the game just being Evie.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does it seem like Evie is the intended "primary" of the two characters to anyone else?

I really like that she is - I actually am thinking I would've preferred the game just being Evie.

Evie is a beast. Taker her to the fight club and see what happens, her moves are insane.

It's unfortunate the game doesn't have a stat tracker, because so far the Jacob/Evie playtime ratio for me has to be 10/90%.

Lime

I'm just kinda tired of Jacob and all the previous assassins who have a personality that's trying to ape Ezio. It's why I like Evie so damn much. Connor will probably be my favorite bro until then.

Still, I've got faith in Ubi to deliver. Especially after that open secret/spoiler, whether or not it's the next game, they'll do a female protagonist in the mainline game. It's just a matter of when. How couldn't they when they've done characters like Aveline, Connor, or Altair beforehand? I'm holding out hope, and it's partially why I hold them to a higher standard compared to other developers.

What's this open secret spoiler you're talking about?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Welp, this game just entered my wishlist.
For fucks sake, Halo, Call of Duty, Fallout, Star Wars are already too much.
But <3 Evie

Crumbtiny

I noticed the same thing. "Hesitation" is a good way of putting it, everytime I want to parkour the character takes a split second to think about what I just told her to do.

Especially when climbing up walls the pause is very noticable. It's rather frustrating, isn't it?

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way. It's strange because I thought reviews were praising the game's parkour as fluid, but to met it feels like a step back.

I like the grappling hook a lot, but often i feel like i'm spending too much time looking for the next grappling point for so the locomotion doesn't feel all that fast and fluid. In previous games it seems like it was pretty easy to just quickly run to your destination using the rooftops. Traversal just seems a little slower here and that's kind of disappointing. The grappling hook mitigates some of that, but it has it's kinks. Carriages are surprisingly easy to drive though.

Still enjoying the game though, the stealth system is really enjoyable and it's a nice feeling of accomplishment to take out a stonghold or extract a target without raising a ruckus.

Enjoying it overall though.

Setsuna

Evie is a beast. Taker her to the fight club and see what happens, her moves are insane.

It's unfortunate the game doesn't have a stat tracker, because so far the Jacob/Evie playtime ratio for me has to be 10/90%.

Are fight clubs repeatable?

Wolfe

Unity somehow butchered the French Revolution setting. Any hate it gets is well deserved just for that fact.

That's exactly what I'm talking about though, the french revolution isn't even what the game is about, it's just the time period the game takes place in. It's central to the plot and a lot of the characters drives but the game is ultimately about Arno and his journey.

Granted I get that most people seem to hate Arno and his story as well lol. Personally I enjoyed it but as I mentioned earlier I haven't followed the AC games so I'm somewhat removed from the overall story thus far (for example the modern story in unity blows but in the end didn't bother me as I could just ignore it not being invested in it from any of the previous games).

Still having trouble getting used to the countering. Window seems really small.

It's less of the window when it flashes yellow and more a signal that this person is going to attempt to attack.
(In previous games, the entire visibility of the signal was the counter window. Now it's SOME AMOUNT into the future)

If you're far enough away, they'll miss. Otherwise you can wait for the right moment when they DO strike to counter.

I know it's not something anyone can say for certain, but I remember hearing the Assassin's Creed games are kind of rough on PC. Think this one will be more of the same? I want to try it but not sure which platform to go for.

Dimorphic

I feel like the hate for Unity isn't anywhere near justified. Bug hate, yes. But that's been fixed. Take the game on a whole now and the mainline missions are good, the story is interesting and graphically is quite beautiful.

In short, game was fine.

SilentRob

I don't know why, but the 900p in Unity and this game look so much worse than the 900p in Battlefront for whatever reason.

In some ways I feel like Black Flags is still the best looking AC game on consoles.

That's because resolution is only one of many factors when judging a game's graphical capacity. However, it's an easy number to compare something with so people just take it as the definitive way to judge a game's graphics by.

Vire

That's because resolution is only one of many factors when judging a game's graphical capacity. However, it's an easy number to compare something with so people just take it as the definitive way to judge a game's graphics by.

I don't even mean Battlefront looking better in the sense of lighting, particle effects or whatnot. I just meant it looks sharper in terms of clarity even though it's the same resolution. AC just looks blurrier for whatever reason, it's probably the Anti-Aliasing solution they are using.

Beef

I played a small amount of the first assassin's creed in 2007, I stopped playing after quickly loosing interest. Have not played anything else in the series. Cut to 2015, gamefly'd Assassin creed syndicate arrives for PS4.

Screwed around for 2-3 hours. Movement mechanics and stealth feel super clunky. Weapons, combat and assassination sequences lack heft. Open world elements don't seem fleshed out. Didn't have any connection with the characters or setting.

What am I missing GAF? Am I playing this wrong? Why the acclaim for the series?

Dmax3901

I feel like the hate for Unity isn't anywhere near justified. Bug hate, yes. But that's been fixed. Take the game on a whole now and the mainline missions are good, the story is interesting and graphically is quite beautiful.

In short, game was fine.

Story was completely uninteresting, characters were flat, writing was atrocious and the setting was utterly wasted.

In short, opinions.

Vire

I played a small amount of the first assassin's creed in 2007, I stopped playing after quickly loosing interest. Have not played anything else in the series. Cut to 2015, gamefly'd Assassin creed syndicate arrives for PS4.

Screwed around for 2-3 hours. Movement mechanics and stealth feel super clunky. Weapons and assassination sequences lack heft. Open world elements don't seem fleshed out. Didn't have any connection with the characters or setting.

What am I missing GAF? Am I playing this wrong? Why the acclaim for the series?

The appeal, at least for me with the Assassins Creed series is the ability to relive certain pieces of history and explore different time periods and locations like Victorian London.

The sense of freedom and ability to climb anything and run across rooftops is also an exhilarating feeling, as well as perfectly planning an assassination by using some alternate means or route other than the obvious run up and stab the guy is generally satisfying.

Sure, it's not the best controlling series, the combat is a bit naff - but the worlds are usually beautiful to explore and the feeling of parkour is fun. I have yet to play Syndicate though.

Beef

The appeal, at least for me with the Assassins Creed series is the ability to relive certain pieces of history and explore different time periods and locations like Victorian London.

The sense of freedom and ability to climb anything and run across rooftops is also an exhilarating feeling, as well as perfectly planning an assassination by using some alternate means or route other than the obvious run up and stab the guy is generally satisfying.

Sure, it's not the best controlling series, the combat is a bit naff - but the worlds are usually beautiful to explore and the feeling of parkour is fun. I have yet to play Syndicate though.

So usually more of an exploration game? Alright, I dig it! Not typically my interest in games, but I can totally see the appeal. Thanks for clarifying. Many of the components I most care about in gaming are just much more polished in MGS V, AC:S feels like a real step back in comparison.

SeanR1221

I've enjoyed what I played so far (up to part 4).

For the train, do you just fast travel to it basically? You can't then ride it to a specific location?

ryseing

Caribbean setting certainly helped Black Flag. Game looked like a postcard.

That's exactly what I'm talking about though, the french revolution isn't even what the game is about, it's just the time period the game takes place in. It's central to the plot and a lot of the characters drives but the game is ultimately about Arno and his journey.

Granted I get that most people seem to hate Arno and his story as well lol. Personally I enjoyed it but as I mentioned earlier I haven't followed the AC games so I'm somewhat removed from the overall story thus far (for example the modern story in unity blows but in the end didn't bother me as I could just ignore it not being invested in it from any of the previous games).

But if you're going to use the French Revolution as a backdrop, you should use it for more than a half assed Romeo and Juliet love story. Unity felt like an overreaction to 3, where the team just heard "less history stuff!" and went to almost no history content, instead of understanding why people hated 3's history stuff (terrible execution). French Revolution is too compelling to cut all the history out of, and moving it to the coop missions was very shortsighted.

I was never terribly attached to the modern day stuff, so I'm fine with Ubi moving past it. I'm more concerned that the main game tells a compelling story, and Unity failed to do so in any shape or form. I was never given a reason to care about Arno or Elise, and when their relationship is driving the game, that's a problem.

Kin5290

I've only just gotten to London but already I wish that we didn't have to play as Jacob.

Wolfe

But if you're going to use the French Revolution as a backdrop, you should use it for more than a half assed Romeo and Juliet love story. Unity felt like an overreaction to 3, where the team just heard "less history stuff!" and went to almost no history content, instead of understanding why people hated 3's history stuff (terrible execution). French Revolution is too compelling to cut all the history out of, and moving it to the coop missions was very shortsighted.

I was never terribly attached to the modern day stuff, so I'm fine with Ubi moving past it. I'm more concerned that the main game tells a compelling story, and Unity failed to do so in any shape or form. I was never given a reason to care about Arno or Elise, and when their relationship is driving the game, that's a problem.

I can understand that, from my viewpoint as someone that never got into AC (played a bit of 2 but it never hooked me and just never had the drive to check out any of the subsequent games even though I've read a fair bit about the overall plot) I quite enjoyed the story. I liked that amidst all of the Assassin Vs. Templar save the world stuff this game tells the story of a character caught up in the middle of that mess without actually being involved in the overarching narrative. A personal story about the guilt of a lost loved one and the struggle to bring that chapter of the characters life to a close. I get that a common critique is Arno's lack of character but I found his character fine and felt invested in his motivations. Nothing special but for me not nearly "nothing likable" levels. Edit: Elise I didn't care much for but her character was much more revenge driven to the point of casting aside the ones she cares for and that is always off putting to me (in a character).

I don't think the story was amazing or anything just that it worked well for me. Also the gameplay improvements to freerunning felt great, didn't have much issue with the combat and never ran into any major bugs so in the end I really enjoyed my time with the game (still going through the DLC). Actually made me quite excited for Syndicate when I previously had no interest.

The game definitely deserves all the negativity it got on release for all of the issues it had but it really feels like that plus peoples want to dislike the game drives the convo around it every time it comes up anymore, when story aside the game runs great now. I mean I still see people refer to it as a buggy mess when anyone inquires about the game.

Yoday

Does Syndicate have that same "smeared vaseline" look of Unity?
It seems to be using an updated or higher quality version of the post process AA that Unity had. It still has a little bit of blur, but nowhere even remotely close to the blur fest of Unity.

oh my god, the side activities for capturing territories where you have to go in an area, kill a bunch of enemies and the full sync is to rescue rooks and keep them alive is one of the worst things I have seen in any assassins creed game...and I have literally 100% completed them all.

First of all, when a Rook is freed, he just seems to immediately alert every enemy in the area. And then they rush straight into all of the enemies

Secondly, if the Rook gets hit 2 or 3 times then they die. You have to start over, because if one Rook dies then you fail the full sync

Thirdly,you cant tell when a Rook will be freed. There are enemies pathing back and forth through the area, some of them are intended to be watching that Rook but you cant really tell for sure. I was just planning out a path to take where one would hopefully be freed upon killing the last enemy near them...nope, some enemy pretty far away triggered them being set loose.

and lastly, there are multiple rooks to free in this area that I am in right now. I would have to come up with some crazy route to keep 1 enemy that triggers them being freed alive while not getting any alerts at all...even when a group of people are bunched together and walk together.

This is fucking ridiculous

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Whoever designed the game's knockout animation to take 20 seconds and whoever gave the guards eagle vision should probably be fired from video games

DOWN

Banned
Does Syndicate have that same "smeared vaseline" look of Unity?
Not only that but the lighting looks much worse. Not a single scene has the level of cinematic HDR beauty that Unity's art, exposure, coloring, global illumination, etc. gave it. That's what happens when you go back to the lighting from Black Flag.

She is the character playing the "assassin's creed/pieces of eden" part in the game, for me she is the main character, I don't touch Jacob outside the forced missions, Jacob for me is a funny/douche sidekick at best.

Shame they were scared of having a main game with a female character as lead. She is great. Looking forward to play as her in the Jack the Ripper DLC and of course to keep playing Syndicate.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought Evie was the most boring character, just like the majority of other Assassins.

No standout traits just 'I am assassin. Watch me do Assassin things'

RedAssedApe

Banned
do you get anything that makes ziplining and moving around the world faster? going up is fine but between building is soooo slow. kind of feel parkour in this game is a lot slower than i remember.

Basketball

I thought Evie was the most boring character, just like the majority of other Assassins.

No standout traits just 'I am assassin. Watch me do Assassin things'

yeah I feel the same way

The game would be a total snooze fest with just her .. She is like Aveline a bit (just doing my assassin stuff .. mission focused) nothing real exciting or standing out features about her

plus all her outfits minus the legacy ones look the same

the customization in general sucks

RobbieNick

I'm undecided on whether to buy this on PS4 or wait until the PC version. On one hand if I get it on PS4 I can play now and the PC version comes out around the same time as Star Wars Battlefront. On the other hand, 60 FPS/1080P on PC.

Kalentan

Uuugh... People saying this is good makes me want to get it... I liked Unity despite others not liking it... Though maybe that's cause I got it for like $20 after a lot of it had been fixed. xD

I wonder if I should get this after my next pay check.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm undecided on whether to buy this on PS4 or wait until the PC version. On one hand if I get it on PS4 I can play now and the PC version comes out around the same time as Star Wars Battlefront. On the other hand, 60 FPS/1080P on PC.

Yeah, I'm a little tempted to buy the PS4 version even though I have the Gold Edition pre-ordered on Steam, haha. I'm sure I can find something to eat up my free time for the next few weeks.

carlsojo

do you get anything that makes ziplining and moving around the world faster? going up is fine but between building is soooo slow. kind of feel parkour in this game is a lot slower than i remember.

I think Arkham Knight kind of spoiled me on grappling hooks in general. I keep trying to jump and grapple.

This game provided it's ported well to PC and with the additional enchantments you get will be pretty sweet imo. The image quality isn't that bad, but the sub-native resolution is definitely noticeable on PS4 (I've been playing many 1080p games on ps4 so it sticks out more)

AF is probably at 4x, framerate is generally good but there are some drops in populated areas.

Still I gave this game 3 chances ( I installed it 3 times lolz) but I will be taking back tomorrow, since I'm going to concentrate on my other games before Fallout 4 drops shortly. I may purchase it later on though, like in a sale.

Top Bottom