• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

I left the game idle on the start menu (the one after the title screen) for a few minutes and a new rendition of

Earth

from ACII started to play. Wasn't the full song but you'll recognize the melody when it plays. Soooo good.

Nemesis_

I loved Elise in Unity. But that was about it.

I'm actually really tired of Ubisoft trying to create these new Ezio types of men in their games. But then I'm not really sure - since everytime they've tried to do something else they've got something boring like Altair, Connor et al

Setsuna

Not only that but the lighting looks much worse. Not a single scene has the level of cinematic HDR beauty that Unity's art, exposure, coloring, global illumination, etc. gave it. That's what happens when you go back to the lighting from Black Flag.

Thats not even true

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thats not even true
People continue grasping at ways to put this game down. haha
AkkSVzo.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
I think Arkham Knight kind of spoiled me on grappling hooks in general. I keep trying to jump and grapple.

I understand why they didn't, but I kinda wish they just went all-out Arkham with the grappling hook and make you able to zipline up to a building from pretty much anywhere.

That said, I think the zipline is one of the biggest gameplay additions since the dual blade in ACII. It's a total gamechanger. Having Evie in the Shau Jun outfit ziplining left and right really, really makes me want a China/Japan setting. Ninja-ziplining between buildings could be so amazing.

Ubisoft plz.

Toa TAK

Banned
I left the game idle on the start menu (the one after the title screen) for a few minutes and a new rendition of

Earth

from ACII started to play. Wasn't the full song but you'll recognize the melody when it plays. Soooo good.
Man I'm getting tired of Ezio's Family reappearing in the music for these games. It's a great theme, but I don't like the idea of it becoming the series theme.

The weak HUD display options are a real pain. I wish I could just get a map, some simple indicator when an enemy is more than 1 level higher than me, and maybe an indicator of when I should push triangle because some unseen enemy is about to shoot me without having a hula hoop for half the game.

The art design in this game is gorgeous, but it's always competing with the typical Ubisoft trash UI. Every element desperately wishes it was at the fucking center of the screen. I can't get a view of the city from the observation points without a rundown of my collectibles taking up a quarter of the screen and a constant reminder "HEY, HOLD R2 + L + ○ LEAP OF FAITH" plastered across the screen.

Look at this gorgeous view:
iM4Rige.jpg

Yoday

Man I'm getting tired of Ezio's Family reappearing in the music for these games. It's a great theme, but I don't like the idea of it becoming the series theme.
It's iconic and works well as a series theme. I wouldn't be surprised if we heard it in the movie.

nOoblet16

The weak HUD display options are a real pain. I wish I could just get a map, some simple indicator when an enemy is more than 1 level higher than me, and maybe an indicator of when I should push triangle because some unseen enemy is about to shoot me without having a hula hoop for half the game.

The art design in this game is gorgeous, but it's always competing with the typical Ubisoft trash UI. Every element desperately wishes it was at the fucking center of the screen. I can't get a view of the city from the observation points without a rundown of my collectibles taking up a quarter of the screen and a constant reminder "HEY, HOLD R2 + L + ○ LEAP OF FAITH" plastered across the screen.

Look at this gorgeous view:
iM4Rige.jpg

But you can get rid of almost everything on the HUD.
The sync point is the only place where you get those elements pop up, everywhere else you can get an almost completely HUD free game, except for the rope launcher prompt and the icons for missions/objectives which are just coloured dots.

Yoday

London at dusk/night in the rain looks absolutely stunning. I really hope they stick with this lighting system. While the lighting in Unity was better I very mich much prefer the day/night cycle and added weather effects.

But you can get rid of almost everything on the HUD.

You can get rid of a lot of the elements of the HUD. A whole lot of it though, you can't. The screenshot was taken with "all" HUD elements "hidden". You can't hide the constant reminder of how to do a leap of faith. You can't hide the "-----------------------L1-----------------------" anytime you're close to a building or the "<&#9671;>L1"s that pepper the skyline when you are on a ledge. You can't hide the hexagonal new mission icons when you are in the vicinity that want to be on the screen even when you're not even looking in the direction of them.

You can hide the hula hoop but that also hides any indicator of enemy strength so you don't know who you are going up against. It also hides the information about when you need to counter, as in some cases the enemies don't telegraph it at all.

nOoblet16

You can get rid of a lot of the elements of the HUD. A whole lot of it though, you can't. The screenshot was taken with "all" HUD elements "hidden". You can't hide the constant reminder of how to do a leap of faith. You can't hide the "-----------------------L1-----------------------" anytime you're close to a building or the "<&#9671;>L1"s that pepper the skyline when you are on a ledge. You can't hide the hexagonal new mission icons when you are in the vicinity that want to be on the screen even when you're not even looking in the direction of them.

You can hide the hula hoop but that also hides any indicator of enemy strength so you don't know who you are going up against. It also hides the information about when you need to counter, as in some cases the enemies don't telegraph it at all.

Like I said, those things in your screenshot only exist at synchronization points and nowhere else, everywhere else the only HUD elements that come up are the rope launcher prompts and the mission icons. And honestly the game would be quite impossible to play if it didn't have the hexagonal mission icons because it's a big city and you wouldn't know where to go. As for the rope launcher prompt it'd be annoying to just keep pressing L1 to test if it's going to work or not. These elements are not intrusive at all because one of them is small and the other one is a prompt that is white in colour.

The only HUD elements that I have turned on are the combat ones because the combat is not designed to be played otherwise and as such it becomes needlessly difficult.

Earth

God damn Jesper Kyd is the GOAT composer. It's amazing how much of the ambiance of AC2 is tied up in his music, I'm immediately transported back not just to Venice but also that mind-space of mystery, of desperately trying to find those glyphs to get another glimpse of the 'ones who came before', of the feeling that there's some grand plan in place and all would be revealed in time. That feeling is never coming back, is it?

Is this game worth $99 AUD (Or $140 AUD for the Gold Edition) or is it better to wait for maybe a few more patches / a price drop (which doesn't happen in Australia as often as America)?

Altairre

It's way too late for that and I don't really mind it. It's the first theme that comes to mind when I think about this series.

eizarus

Banned

Earth

Here's a link to the Syndicate version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8sNGsaq7x4

Personally, I don't mind at all. I absolutely loved the Rogue version of it.
It'd be cool to hear a new rendition of the AC3 main theme.

All the good AC games (except 4) feature it at some point.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Earth

Jesper Kyd man.... guy is fantastic.

It's literally the only recognizable theme I can think of for Assassin's Creed. They may as well lean into it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
God damn Jesper Kyd is the GOAT composer. It's amazing how much of the ambiance of AC2 is tied up in his music, I'm immediately transported back not just to Venice but also that mind-space of mystery, of desperately trying to find those glyphs to get another glimpse of the 'ones who came before', of the feeling that there's some grand plan in place and all would be revealed in time. That feeling is never coming back, is it?
While I enjoyed kyd music I found Lorne Balfe work on ACIII Theme to be probably the best they've had.
If there was a Theme for AC series it should of been that one.

Like I said, those things in your screenshot only exist at synchronization points and nowhere else, everywhere else the only HUD elements that come up are the rope launcher prompts and the mission icons. And honestly the game would be quite impossible to play if it didn't have the hexagonal mission icons because it's a big city and you wouldn't know where to go. As for the rope launcher prompt it'd be annoying to just keep pressing L1 to test if it's going to work or not. These elements are not intrusive at all because one of them is small and the other one is a prompt that is white in colour.

The only HUD elements that I have turned on are the combat ones because the combat is not designed to be played otherwise and as such it becomes needlessly difficult.

I can think of a lot of ways the game would still be playable by making those rope launcher and mission icons far less intrusive, but even that's not really what I'm after (though I think it would make for a better experience overall and even removing them from the HUD wouldn't be nearly as detrimental to gameplay as you suggest). A simple option to hide these elements would be a lot easier to implement and let people run around and enjoy the scenery to their hearts content.

The combat stuff is a bit of a different issue because I think it's a weakness that combat is designed to rely so heavily on the HUD rather than more organic player feedback. My expectations for the series are so low that it doesn't really stand in conflict with my expectations, though. I do wish you could separate the stealth elements from the combat elements. I just REALLY hate that hula hoop. Both how it looks and its implications for stealth game play.

Ennosuke

Oh man what a relief! Combat improved, Free running improved, the mini map isn't overloadeD, the sidemissions are fun, the upgrade system is improved, no mobile app shit and I think London is way more interesting than Paris.

Can anyone tell me what exactly happened with this mission? Spoilers for the first mission you get from the "C" icon follow:

So I guess I tracked the guy down. Halfway through what I presume is the final fight he countered me twice and then I was no longer able to do any attacks. I threw a smoke bomb which stunned him but still I couldn't perform any attacks but he could attack me. I switched to throwing knives and after throwing two he just vanished and the mission concluded. Here's a video: https://youtu.be/ehrJGhA5KcA?t=1625

Did I just break the scripting for the mission? How did this play out for other people?

Fury451

Banned
Wait, wait, wait. Gaf, is this the general consensus here on this game? Cus I was not interested but if its like AC 2 and Brotherhood...

So far, I would say it's my personal favorite. Feels like they finally nailed the combat and movement, and the characters are well done and interesting.

My opinion on the series is kind of all over the place, but for what it's worth I think Rogue/Freedom's Cry (Black Flag to a much lesser extent), Unity, and 2 are the best in the series besides this one.

So yes, I think saying this is a combination of the best strengths the games have had is true.

So far, I would say it's my personal favorite. Feels like they finally nailed the combat and movement, and the characters are well done and interesting.

My opinion on the series is kind of all over the place, but for what it's worth I think Rogue/Freedom's Cry (Black Flag to a much lesser extent), Unity, and 2 are the best in the series besides this one.

So yes, I think saying this is a combination of the best strengths the games have had is true.

Damn, you have made my interest for this game skyrocket lol Im gonna hold out and see if any Black Friday deals come up. Thanks!

ironcreed

Banned
I love the holiday season and hate it at the same time. I am going to be juggling this, Halo 5, Forza 6 (getting it late), Call of Duty: Black Ops III, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 for the rest of the year. Madness.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love the holiday season and hate it at the same time. I am going to be juggling this, Halo 5, Forza 6 (getting it late), Call of Duty: Black Ops III, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 for the rest of the year. Madness.

I'm definately trying to get the bigger part of Syndicate done before Fallout 4 hits.

But yeah, the struggle is real haha.

Elginer

I know them feels. It's what made me fall in love with this franchise. That amazing sense of mystery and lore -- like you were uncovering this ancient secret and trying to put the pieces together.

AC desperately needs to try and recapture that spirit that AC I and II had.

That said, Syndicate is a fantastic game so far. The combat is fun and fast and the characters are fun. Evie is a boss.

Evie is a beast. Taker her to the fight club and see what happens, her moves are insane.

It's unfortunate the game doesn't have a stat tracker, because so far the Jacob/Evie playtime ratio for me has to be 10/90%.

I had been playing them about evenly, but I've slowly started to use Evie a bit more.

Edit: my one complaint on the game so far is the music, or rather the lack of it. What's there is mostly good, but there's not much of it.

I picked this up mainly due to GCU and pre-order bonus reward certificates, wasn't terribly excited after Unity. That being said, I am really enjoying this thus far. Played about 6 or 7 hours and I see myself playing a good deal more. The only problem is all the other games coming out.

I wonder how this has sold. Not many "likes" on PSN thus far. My friends list also shows only a few people picked it up.

Impulsor

Wait, wait, wait. Gaf, is this the general consensus here on this game? Cus I was not interested but if its like AC 2 and Brotherhood...
I totally agree with that too. Loving it. It feels like traditional Assassin's Creed without the bullshit and with most of the improvements.

LinLeigh

I preordered just for Evie but damn this game is fun.

Way better then Unity. It is one of the better entries. Can't wait to get the platinum.

Just picked up the Rooks edition today, and ordered another for my bro for Xmas, seems like a decent entry for the series. We both enjoyed Unity, but felt it's the weakest of the series with forgettable characters mainly.

I know it was mentioned earlier that the game seems to run just a smidge smoother with the hud turned off and I can confirm this after switching back and forth a few times. It defintely has a slight judder when the hud is on. I noticed it right away just by standing still and moving the camera around watching trees rustling and birds flying in the sky. It's definitely enough of a difference though that I'll be playing this way from here on out.

Was Unity actually fixed on PS4? I normally buy the last year AC version when the new one comes out but I'm not sure this time with all the news about bad performance...

Alienous

Was Unity actually fixed on PS4? I normally buy the last year AC version when the new one comes out but I'm not sure this time with all the news about bad performance...

It's ... playable, I guess. The frame-rate is awful, but there is some fun to be had. Just a little, though.

ironcreed

Banned

The only thing I ever encountered was some stuttering here and there on PS4, which was improved. I never had any of the weird missing face glitches or anything, lol. I thought it was a great game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anyway to turn off those building arrows that show you where the access points are? I turned off everything in the HUD and they were still there but it was Evie's tutorial mission that I was playing. I prefer to locate the entrances myself. Am I stuck with them for the entire game?

I know you play on console so this might not be helpful. But I made a toggle for Unity that lets you toggle those things off.
You can also bind the toggle key to an Xbox controller button so a keyboard isn't necessary.

http://www.moddb.com/games/assassins-creed-v-unity/downloads/toggle-objective-marker-onoff

I can probably do it for Syndiacte too when it releases on PC, it's the same engine so I assume it will work.

Top Bottom