• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I know but there is a costume I want and I neeeeeds it.
You can complete it at any time. I haven't started it yet so I wouldn't know which costumes you're talking about.

didnt even realize unique kills even existed in unity. syn made it a little bit too easy but letting you know where entrance points and exact places you needed to go
It invented the concept. :p Yea that was the point. They felt that it was too vague so they made the options more prevalent. Entrances can be turned off I think.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You can complete it at any time. I haven't started it yet so I wouldn't know which costumes you're talking about.

It invented the concept. :p Yea that was the point. They felt that it was too vague so they made the options more prevalent. Entrances can be turned off I think.

yeah but i think they took it to the opposite extreme. it was literally like
lay here for unique kill
lol. they could have maybe made it a bit more subtle

KJRS_1993

The worst thing about this series right now is the controls. Holy shit are they bad.
I'm enjoying Syndicate a whole lot and it's much better than Unity ever was, but I'm going to think twice about buying another one if it's the same control scheme.

It's absolutely impossible to arrange a "perfect" kill, and more than once will you fail a mission because the control scheme is not fit for purpose.

Dmax3901

Sequence 8 is all kinds of weird. Spoilers regarding what it contains:
really dull, frustrating missions that don't really make much sense within the framework of the overarching story. Why would Jacob work for this guy? He's clearly not just turning on Starrick on a dime. It was clear to me there was more up his sleeve and I don't see why Jacob wouldn't see that too.

Also, did anyone notice Jacobs accent changed when he was talking to Roth? He went from proper English to more cockney like Roth.

really dull, frustrating missions that don't really make much sense within the framework of the overarching story. Why would Jacob work for this guy? He's clearly not just turning on Starrick on a dime. It was clear to me there was more up his sleeve and I don't see why Jacob wouldn't see that too.

Also, did anyone notice Jacobs accent changed when he was talking to Roth? He went from proper English to more cockney like Roth.

Because it's Jacob. Evie would of saw it. lol.

Ammogeddon

Yes! I was playing that part earlier and noticed the accent change. He's obviously having an identity crisis.

Enjoying the game nonetheless.

Crossing Eden

yeah but i think they took it to the opposite extreme. it was literally like
lay here for unique kill
lol. they could have maybe made it a bit more subtle
That's what turning the HUD off is for. ;) *Light* all day everyday.

Dmax3901

Yes! I was playing that part earlier and noticed the accent change. He's obviously having an identity crisis.

Enjoying the game nonetheless.

I thought perhaps the Sequence 8 voice acting/mo cap session was earlier on and Jacob's actor hadn't settled on a voice yet? That might also explain why Sequence 8 feels standalone and a little out of place. A 'deleted scene' maybe.

burgerdog

So do you guys recommend the game? I actually enjoyed Unity, so if you guys think that this game is better then I'll buy it when it's out for PC.

RedAssedApe

Banned

glitch in the animus lol

Crossing Eden

Anyone else feel they're constantly out of money in this game? I have plenty of resources but never enough CASH.
Nah, actually I've reached that point like in every AC game where I have too much money. Sitting on 80K with all upgrades purchased. >_> Try doing some cargo hijacks and upgrading the money section in the gang skill tree, you get a shit ton of income in your chest.

So do you guys recommend the game? I actually enjoyed Unity, so if you guys think that this game is better then I'll buy it when it's out for PC.
I gotta say, the more I play the less I like it. I'm at 55% story completion and I'm pretty bored. The load times suck. The controls are a struggle.

The game feels long. I feel like I've been playing forever and still a ways to go. Too long.

ryseing

I gotta say, the more I play the less I like it. I'm at 55% story completion and I'm pretty bored. The load times suck. The controls are a struggle.

The game feels long. I feel like I've been playing forever and still a ways to go. Too long.

Yeah, the quality definitely decreases as the game goes on. See

Sequence 8 is terrible. Just awful.

Also, the final fight is absolutely atrocious.

I'll write up my final impressions as soon as I have some time tomorrow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I understand the hate for it at launch because it was broken but, playing the PC version a year later, and I'm kind of stunned that Unity doesn't get a better reception from people LTTP. I think they fix a lot of the design issues from earlier in the series, especially the arbitrary fail states, and the assassinations are the best in the series though I haven't played Syndicate.

No argument here. I am thoroughly enjoying Unity, granted a year late with plenty of patch support. While there is still plenty to nitpick(lopsided ratio of collectibles/dud missions; combat problems; parkour foibles), there is quite a lot to still like about this game.

Dmax3901

It's a solid 7/10 for me. I wouldn't pay full price for it (I got it in a bundle and intend to sell it soon after I finish it), but it's great to jump into every now and then for some harmless fun.

I've had a handful of "Oh for fucks sake" moments, where the game design has killed me or made me fail a mission, but other than that it's the most fun I've had with an AC game since Black Flag. Almost everything that made Unity an absolute chore is improved here, the story has more focus (ignoring Sequence 8), main characters are 50% likeable and the missions aren't too tedious.

Somehow I'm managing to enjoy all the repetitive side activities this time around, which I think is due to the fact that I can get behind the characters. The activities have meaning, however small, so it feels worthwhile.

P.S. Oh and I swear to god they need to ditch the whole "become anonymous to continue" bullshit. It shouldn't matter if some dickhead from ten metres away can see me, I still have plenty of time to pick this lock, open this door, sabotage this bell etc before they could possibly intervene.

I was really impressed with this game for the first few hours but there are a lot of minor things with it that piss me off. The sheen has worn off. Here's a list.

• I went to their website and unlocked a bunch of bonus items by doing "activities" like watching trailers and answering survey questions. I then got codes for a bunch of in-game items, which I redeemed. Probably 10 things in total. When I logged into the game, it would alert me like "You've unlocked this gun, push the touch pad to see it" and it would do that 10 times, for each item I had redeemed. The problem is that it does that EVERY TIME I log into the game now. So every time I start the game, I have to wait for it to scroll through all these alert message before I can really do anything. I have to assume that's a bug they're aware of because it's obviously broken.
  • When you are using skill points, and want to switch to the other character to spend their skill points, it dumps you all the way back into the game rather than letting you stay in the menus. That's a minor thing but annoying anyway.
  • The controls aren't good, especially with the zipline. It's usually hard to target exactly where you want it to go, and frequently it won't even come close to what I'm intending, shooting me up to another building altogether, rather than the one I intended. And despite the fact that they made it easier to get down from the tops of buildings, it still takes too long. Getting around is just a chore overall and it's not novel anymore.
  • The carriage driving is lame, and kills the framerate. Controls like shit and isn't fun. Horses and buggies end up flying everywhere with the game's awful physics and hit detection. it's kind of funny but also stupid looking.
  • The side activities get old to me. Despite the fact that there are less collectables than in Unity, it still feels like there are too many. The "glitches" in particular stand out as being totally worthless, as far as I can tell.
  • The number of unique enemy models is awful. There are maybe four. You fight literally the same guys OVER and OVER, and the guys on your own team look exactly the same as well.
  • The load times suck.
  • The appeal and look of London is wearing off, halfway through the game. While I do think the game is good graphically, and while they do try to make each section of the city look different, it still all feels very similar. I'm sick of looking at it and being in it at this point.
Then there are the normal bugs, like a girl sitting on a bench that isn't there, or people floating in the air. None of these things on their own is that bad but after spending about a dozen (probably more) hours on this game, they all just add up to a pretty bland and tedious game. And according to the menu system (which, by the way, tells you EVERY SINGLE TIME you unlock some new piece of information within it; I have about 60 items to read about in the menus, and I gave up trying to keep up with it all), I'm only halfway done. I'll probably finish it but I'm not really that excited.

Bottom line for me is that while it might be a good Assassin's Creed game, I'm just sick of this formula. I've been playing basically this same game for years now. It is BORING.

EekTheKat

Is it me or did UBIsoft not keep the human - building size scaling that was used in Unity?

Unity actually seemed to nail how large the doors and buildings were in relation to a human size, in this game several areas the scaling just seemed off with comically oversized doors attached to mundane houses.

This was a large part of what made Unity's Paris seemed great - the world was scaled properly in relation to the size of the characters.

I ordered Fallout 4 on the PC from GMG, and saved $30 CAD on that too.

I mean, fuck me, that's a savings of $60 from just two games. Seriously, this is why Steam NEEDS to have competition.

Steam's day one prices flat out suck. Those people who say everything should be on Steam... those people need to be dealt with... I'm not a member of the Mafia though.

Dominator

Beat it a few nights ago, really enjoyed the ending actually.

Them getting knighted by the Queen was a nice touch, even though they kill hundreds of people lol. Also the present day stuff actually had me interested. Definitely buying next years to see where it goes. I can see this being the game where they are easing more present day stuff into it, so I hope next years has even more.

burgerdog

I ordered Fallout 4 on the PC from GMG, and saved $30 CAD on that too.

I mean, fuck me, that's a savings of $60 from just two games. Seriously, this is why Steam NEEDS to have competition.

Steam's day one prices flat out suck. Those people who say everything should be on Steam... those people need to be dealt with... I'm not a member of the Mafia though.

I can't remember the last time I bought a game day 1 directly off steam. It's simply not what it used to be on that front.

Yeah I have no idea why but I assure you they are fantastic. It also includes a gun, knuckle and assassin glove. All awesome.

Cheers, it's great to know they're worth the download! I'd been looking at the time remaining on my download list with horror.

Crossing Eden

Is it me or did UBIsoft not keep the human - building size scaling that was used in Unity?

Unity actually seemed to nail how large the doors and buildings were in relation to a human size, in this game several areas the scaling just seemed off with comically oversized doors attached to mundane houses.

This was a large part of what made Unity's Paris seemed great - the world was scaled properly in relation to the size of the characters.
I feel that they nailed the archtecture. I wonder how the actual architecture was on mundane buildings in London.

bargeparty

HUD options are lacking. Why can't it just prompt the mission details when you start our something like that? It's either always display or never.

Same thing for something like the tool indicator. It should be contextual and automatically display in combat.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm actually kind of amazed for the first time EVER in an Ubisoft game at their civilian AI. There's actually some interesting stuff going on even if it is just more of animations than patterns.

about 25 hours in and I saw a dude catching rats for the first time

Crossing Eden

HUD options are lacking. Why can't it just prompt the mission details when you start our something like that? It's either always display or never.
I believe that option is called the memory(mission) log. Switch to light and switch the first option on iirc.

bargeparty

I believe that option is called the memory(mission) log. Switch to light and switch the first option on iirc.

Not really my point. There should be an option to have it display and then go away. Even if it's hidden and you start a mission the objectives should pop up briefly. Otherwise you don't know what to do.

Dmax3901

I was really impressed with this game for the first few hours but there are a lot of minor things with it that piss me off. The sheen has worn off. Here's a list.

• I went to their website and unlocked a bunch of bonus items by doing "activities" like watching trailers and answering survey questions. I then got codes for a bunch of in-game items, which I redeemed. Probably 10 things in total. When I logged into the game, it would alert me like "You've unlocked this gun, push the touch pad to see it" and it would do that 10 times, for each item I had redeemed. The problem is that it does that EVERY TIME I log into the game now. So every time I start the game, I have to wait for it to scroll through all these alert message before I can really do anything. I have to assume that's a bug they're aware of because it's obviously broken.
  • When you are using skill points, and want to switch to the other character to spend their skill points, it dumps you all the way back into the game rather than letting you stay in the menus. That's a minor thing but annoying anyway.
  • The controls aren't good, especially with the zipline. It's usually hard to target exactly where you want it to go, and frequently it won't even come close to what I'm intending, shooting me up to another building altogether, rather than the one I intended. And despite the fact that they made it easier to get down from the tops of buildings, it still takes too long. Getting around is just a chore overall and it's not novel anymore.
  • The carriage driving is lame, and kills the framerate. Controls like shit and isn't fun. Horses and buggies end up flying everywhere with the game's awful physics and hit detection. it's kind of funny but also stupid looking.
  • The side activities get old to me. Despite the fact that there are less collectables than in Unity, it still feels like there are too many. The "glitches" in particular stand out as being totally worthless, as far as I can tell.
  • The number of unique enemy models is awful. There are maybe four. You fight literally the same guys OVER and OVER, and the guys on your own team look exactly the same as well.
  • The load times suck.
  • The appeal and look of London is wearing off, halfway through the game. While I do think the game is good graphically, and while they do try to make each section of the city look different, it still all feels very similar. I'm sick of looking at it and being in it at this point.
Then there are the normal bugs, like a girl sitting on a bench that isn't there, or people floating in the air. None of these things on their own is that bad but after spending about a dozen (probably more) hours on this game, they all just add up to a pretty bland and tedious game. And according to the menu system (which, by the way, tells you EVERY SINGLE TIME you unlock some new piece of information within it; I have about 60 items to read about in the menus, and I gave up trying to keep up with it all), I'm only halfway done. I'll probably finish it but I'm not really that excited.

Bottom line for me is that while it might be a good Assassin's Creed game, I'm just sick of this formula. I've been playing basically this same game for years now. It is BORING.

It's funny, this was how I felt playing Unity, somehow with Syndicate it's nowhere near as tedious. I think it comes down to expectations. I went into this expecting a mediocre game, came out with often-fun timesink.

Crossing Eden

Not really my point. There should be an option to have it display and then go away. Even if it's hidden and you start a mission the objectives should pop up briefly. Otherwise you don't know what to do.
Ohhhh. Doesn't pressing start show what the objective is?

B-Dex

The plat is mine! Really tempted to grind out the perks since most are nearly done. Except multi-counter kills and counters hot and road rage. Tedious luck involved for all of those makes me not want to.

Oh man, the more I play of this, the more I feel pretty firmly that it's my favorite Assassin's Creed title.

I'm on sequence 6, I think, and just did the first mission in
WW1. Holy shit, this game just keeps on giving.

Did they change it from Unity? In Unity it's great- the color and type of icon tells you what you need to do. So you can play totally hudless and still know what the objectives are.

For the first time in the series Unity really nailed being able play Hud-less (icon consistency, use of high ground to find nearby objectives, audio cues in the world for different collectible types, one button interface toggle when you really need it, etc) and I'm going to be really disappointed if Syndicate really took a step back.

RedSparc

Banned
I had a fun week with this game. Best Buy esentially paid me to play it. I didn't pay anything for the game due to collected rewards points on a tv I bought in late July, gave me $10 for the preorder and $43.70 after the platinum trophy. All in all, just as good as black flag, (better town, sans boss pirate shit)

Overall the game would have been more enjoyable if they squashed Jacob in the beginning and made Evie the main protag, but Whatevs.

Zipline had issues, it makes sense to only allow it at the base of the buildings and on top but I wanted to use it in the middle of courtyards, which was frustrating at times.

The train was a nice home base, needed a money pit ala Scrooge McDuck. Heists would of been cool, lots of valuable shit lurking around in Victorian London.

The boroughs needed a Shadow of Mordor type system if you let them sit too long they get taken, I dunno it's late...

Definitely play it if you like historical fiction.

berva

Neo Member
This is the second best Assassins Creed game behind 2.

I've put in 55 hours and enjoyed every minute of it.

So about the ending.
that was Minerva right? Not Juno? She looked different then last time I remember.

I'm pretty happy they didn't do another "Sage" thing. And it looks like Rebecca won't join us for next year's. Also that was real dumb of Hastings to say "kill them all" and then let the one new chick do most of the work.

valkyre

Man i read this thread trying to decide whether or not Syndicate deserves a purchase, and it feels like i am riding some sadistic seesaw! :p

One poster's experience gets me very excited, then the next throws me back to reality and the cycle repeats itself. :S

At this point i feel like i should just flip a coin lol!

Top Bottom