• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Top tip, don't use shadows as breaking markers in turn 2, they move :p

lol yeah those threw me for the first few laps--the daylight cycle is nice, though.

And nice lap times! After watching my 19.9 replay, I could probably find enough to match the 19.3. Probably.

Good luck on your quest for 18s!

JamboGT

lol yeah those threw me for the first few laps--the daylight cycle is nice, though.

And nice lap times! After watching my 19.9 replay, I could probably find enough to match the 19.3. Probably.

Good luck on your quest for 18s!

Use third gear a lot is my tip, I only drop to 2nd for one corner, the penultimate corner before the back straight, then short shift into 3rd before the corner onto the straight.

Use third gear a lot is my tip, I only drop to 2nd for one corner, the penultimate corner before the back straight, then short shift into 3rd before the corner onto the straight.

God mode confirmed. First try - ugly flappy lap - 8 tenths quicker. Going back to get me some .18 :D

disap.ed

I would find this reassuring if you weren't 4 seconds off the pace. ;)

Lol, I am not having bad dreams because of it.

After playing it I'd agree with that. pCars with a 360 controller is just an unpleasant experience.

I just find the handling in AC more predictable, when I am doing a mistake I always know it was my fault. In pCARS the snap oversteer is unpredictable and you are left without a chance to recover. (All with the XB360 controller, can't speak for wheels)

Anyway, question: you and all the guys that have tried the game, what do you guys think? Like, how good is it?

I really like it because driving wise it is exactly what I wished pCARS would be, although the complete package is far from release worthy IMO. In some things I would say pCARS is further along than AC (still can't understand why you can't go and leave the pause menu with the controller)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Holy shit holy shit holy shit it's here!!!!

But I can't buy both AC and GT6 so close to each other... which one? Decisions.
Being a Steam's EA release and all I guess there's no demo yet? Curious to see how it performs on my current rig (only got a HD5850 1GB OC) before going in, otherwise waiting past middle of January might be best (prolly getting a new card).

i'm running 3D surround, the game is 3D vision ready and has perfect 3D, (5760x1080 3D) 2xaa, 16xaf

Goddamn

Business

OK, I forgot something major I wanted to put in the first post!

Until the game's scoreboard goes public there no point in being the fastest in world. Which is why I'd like to keep setups and fuel levels at default for our challenges. At least for the time being. IMO, they just add to the time sink, and can alienate people who aren't savvy with a virtual wrench. I just want to make it as easy as possible to participate.

It looks like no one here has really gone down the setup path anyway yet, so hopefully no harm, no foul. If everyone did a low fuel run etc, then fuck it. Let's just carry on!

I know not everyone is going to be happy with that, but just hang tight until global scoreboards appear. We'll switch to setups at that point, and share them to make it easy for people who don't want to do it themselves.

Cool? If people hate that, please speak up! However you guys want to do it, is how it should be. That was just my 2 cents.

Well I somewhat regret not having taken a screenshot but I thought (rightly) that this wasn't a time that would set any sort of benchmark. To be honest I was all over the place and no two laps looked any similar so I'd say the limit is well below that for this combo.

For the record, I had autoclutch on and I think that was it for assists. I didn't mess with the car setup at all and I agree leaving them alone may the best for these challanges. I use a modded G27 wheel (I don't know how you guys do it with a controller) with a custom OMP 320mm rim and custom paddles. If you ask me if it works better than the standard G27 I don't know what to tell you, the ff is a bit softened due to the bigger rim and the paddles are a bit harder to reach, but hey, I think it looks dope.

Gutted I won't be able to touch this game for a while but I hope we are still running some hotlap competitions for some time.

Shaneus

T'was weird... game was utilising all three GPUs but even though all frame counters said it was 60fps, damn well looked like it was 30. Until I clicked outside the window then back in (shifting it into single-GPU mode) then it was smooth as butter. Sure it'll be fixed, but for now that kinda sucks.

Also can't use RadeonPro, which also sucks.

Anyone know how to adjust the seating position up/down as well? I have the FOV set right with the +/-, but from there I'm stuck.

PS. 1:26:140 (shut up), but that's just coming to grips with it. Sure I'll improve :) We're using no assists, right? (I have auto-clutch on, but whatever)

Seanspeed

Banned
Holy shit holy shit holy shit it's here!!!!

But I can't buy both AC and GT6 so close to each other... which one? Decisions.
Being a Steam's EA release and all I guess there's no demo yet? Curious to see how it performs on my current rig (only got a HD5850 1GB OC) before going in, otherwise waiting past middle of January might be best (prolly getting a new card).
Get GT6 man. AC is an early release game, without a whole lot of content. GT6 will be a complete package out-of-the-box.

AC is good, so I don't see it losing popularity anytime soon. It will be here when you need it. :)

T'was weird... game was utilising all three GPUs but even though all frame counters said it was 60fps, damn well looked like it was 30. Until I clicked outside the window then back in (shifting it into single-GPU mode) then it was smooth as butter. Sure it'll be fixed, but for now that kinda sucks.
Probably microstuttering. Common with multi-GPU setups in unoptimized games.

p3tran

Banned
Get GT6 man. AC is an early release game, without a whole lot of content. GT6 will be a complete package out-of-the-box.

AC is good, so I don't see it losing popularity anytime soon. It will be here when you need it. :)

I agree with Sean. if it is you are getting only one of these right now, gt6's content is something that will take many months after release if not years for the AC community to make.
AC is the most exciting pc news for me in a while though... finally a pc racer I can relate to and enjoy 8)

yeap. it does. good job 8)

Seanspeed

Banned
Well I completely suck today. I cant get anywhere close to what I was doing yesterday. My ghost just consistently pulls away from me, corner after corner and I have ZERO clue what I'm doing wrong. I'm not exactly happy with my laps, but I don't understand what I was doing yesterday that made me so much quicker.

I could put in low 1:21's consistently and now I'm struggling badly to get into the 1:21's at all.

fwjb0uz.png

Any of you top guys wanna post a video of your laps? I need some inspiration. ;)

Shaneus

Probably microstuttering. Common with multi-GPU setups in unoptimized games.
Snot microstutter. I vaguely recall seeing this ages ago and the problem is something like the GPUs running at slightly different clocks. Which sounds about right. Only happens on the second monitor.

p3tran

Banned
Well I completely suck today. I cant get anywhere close to what I was doing yesterday. My ghost just consistently pulls away from me, corner after corner and I have ZERO clue what I'm doing wrong. I'm not exactly happy with my laps, but I don't understand what I was doing yesterday that made me so much quicker.

I could put in low 1:21's consistently and now I'm struggling badly to get into the 1:21's at all.

Any of you top guys wanna post a video of your laps? I need some inspiration. ;)

so it was BEGINNERS LUCK yesternight :D
:p

JumboGT posted a video yesterday of his 1.20.6 lap. it should be included with the gaf leaderboard for reference.
for improvement, just keep third gear in all turns expect the second before the big straight.
at least that's what jumbo did and got from that video down to low 19's. and it worked for Takeover too.

myself am gonna jump in later on. hopefully the wheel settings Jumbo gave me yesterday, with a little finetuning to cut the enormous rattle, they will help.
right now, I feel so fuckin'slow in this game my cheeks almost turn red from embarrasmen :D lucky for me I have this enormous beard hiding it :D lololol

p3tran

Banned
LbQG0CI.png

Everyone is welcome to come and join in on the fun. Wheels, controllers, TC, STM, however you enjoy yourself. If you are running with something other than a wheel and no aids, please include that with your time to make it easier for comparison.

If you'd like to include videos or pictures of your lap (or laptime), please do. It makes it a little more fun.

It's about having fun and hopefully improving your skills. No one is too slow. Hopefully everyone can find a natural rival. The more people who participate, the greater that chance.

Rules? Do we need any? We're all adults. No need to BS anybody.

Post your times, and I'll keep this updated, and bumped.

1. JamboGT - 1.19.392 Picture
2. Funky Functionality - 1:19.904 Picture
3. Polyphony - 1.20.636 telem picture
4. jimforspeed - 1.20.616 picture
5. SpeedOfNuts - 1.20.668
6. Funky Functionality - 1:19.904
7. Seanspeed - 1:20.964 controller video
8. schennmu - 1.21.524 controller/ABS, picture
9. P3tran - 1.21.626

etc etc

**reference video from JumboGT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGRDLG99bpk&feature=youtu.be
here, although the leaderboard need updating i think.

Seanspeed

Banned
so it was BEGINNERS LUCK yesternight :D
:p
Haha. I'm getting back on it, though. I think I'm just a bit rusty as its been a while since I've sat down and really looked for improvement like this. I've forgotten how the smallest things can make a big difference.

Here's my last few stints. Feeling pretty consistent by the end, even if I was still a hair away from my best time.

myself am gonna jump in later on. hopefully the wheel settings Jumbo gave me yesterday, with a little finetuning to cut the enormous rattle, they will help.
right now, I feel so fuckin'slow in this game my cheeks almost turn red from embarrasmen :D lucky for me I have this enormous beard hiding it :D lololol
Nah man, a couple of these guys are pretty damn good obviously. That 1:20.6 video is ok, but I'd like to see one of a low 1:19. It'd be really nice if we could race ghosts like in Forza as that helps enormously to figure out where you can gain time.

Is there any sort of timeline for future additions? I'm really itching to actually race with people.

p3tran

Banned
Nah man, a couple of these guys are pretty damn good obviously. That 1:20.6 video is ok, but I'd like to see one of a low 1:19. It'd be really nice if we could race ghosts like in Forza as that helps enormously to figure out where you can gain time.

Is there any sort of timeline for future additions? I'm really itching to actually race with people.
lol no shit they are good :D first time the JumboGT dude announced his time, it was right after I depleted a gas tank on the track (15 laps?), and my best time was a good 2secs behind :D shocked I was
I blame the wheel though! :D

about improving time, I think a good chunk of it is hidden in riding out nicely all the curbs leading to finish line. at least for me. sometimes i cover more than 1.5sec delta in that part alone.

about game features and timeline, I dont know.
maybe tomorrow I'll call again Aristotelis, to congratulate him and also to ask maybe about this.

by the way, those of you that are proficient in steam sales etc. how do you recon the game did/does saleswise?

JamboGT

Yeah you can get all over the kerbs at the end, lots of time to get there.

Am sure my time will be easily beaten though, one of my workmates once he sits down to it will absolutely destroy me, that much is certain!

LbQG0CI.png

Everyone is welcome to come and join in on the fun. Wheels, controllers, TC, STM, however you enjoy yourself. If you are running with something other than a wheel and no aids, please include that with your time to make it easier for comparison.

If you'd like to include videos or pictures of your lap (or laptime), please do. It makes it a little more fun.

It's about having fun and hopefully improving your skills. No one is too slow. Hopefully everyone can find a natural rival. The more people who participate, the greater that chance.

Rules? Do we need any? We're all adults. No need to BS anybody. Until the game's scoreboard goes public there no point in being the fastest in world. Which is why I'd like to keep setups and fuel levels at default for our challenges. At least for the time being. IMO, they just add to the time sink, and can alienate people who aren't savvy with a virtual wrench. I just want to make it as easy as possible to participate.

Post your times, and I'll keep this updated, and bumped.

1. JamboGT - 1.19.392 Picture
2. Funky Functionality - 1:19.904 Picture
3. CLR_CMOS - 1.19.964 picture
4. Polyphony - 1.20.636 telem picture
5. jimforspeed - 1.20.616 picture
6. Seanspeed - 1:20.624 controller video
7. SpeedOfNuts - 1.20.668
8. TJP - 1.20.980 picture
9. p3tran - 1.21.120 picture
10. schennmu - 1.21.310 controller/ABS, picture
11. Addy - 1:22.936 picture
12. disap.ed - 1:23:172 controller ABS/TC
13. _machine - 1.23.948 picture
14. Addnan - 1:23.952
15. Shaneus - 1:26:140

Video - reference lap from JAmboGT :)

JamboGT

Am a big lad but you don''t all need to call me jumbo :p

Going back to my thoughts on the game, was discussing it in work, and what really sets it apart is that it felt comfortable straight away, there were no real nuances you had to learn before going quickly. And that's because it reacts as you would expect, it is done so well that it all feels natural, well as far as driving a car is natural that is. And I think for a sim that's the best thing you can say about it, it just feels right.

Addnan

1:23.952

I don't know how to get good drive out of the corners. Watching that video he is reaching 5th gear at the end of the first straight, I am just about topping 4th gear. Continues through the lap. I can't get the power down quick enough, so never get to a high enough speed.

-Amazing looking new racing sim from a dev with a strong pedigree
-GAF excited about it and having weekly leader board challenges

Yeah, I give in. Just bought it. Can't wait to play it after work today.

JamboGT

I don't know how to get good drive out of the corners. Watching that video he is reaching 5th gear at the end of the first straight, I am just about topping 4th gear. Continues through the lap. I can't get the power down quick enough, so never get to a high enough speed.

Hey Addnan, do a few laps not dropping below 3rd gear, makes it easier to get out of the corners without spinning up too much, also in turns one and two go deep on the entry on the brakes and then go for a really late apex, helps with exit speed.

At the end of the lap use the kerbs, helps straighten that section out and allows you to get on the power earlier there too.

p3tran

Banned
Am a big lad but you don#'t all need to call me jumbo :p
whoops! :D

anyway, your settings seem to work. 2 laps in, already cut my yesterday time by half a sec, and on those curbs I got like >1sec difference, before getting excited and running out of the track :)
so thanks 8)
untitled-29xfn6.jpg

now only to finish some stupid work things and get some time to finetune the stupid wheel...
it still rattles like shit. but at least it has some better precision now

JamboGT

It's strange, am not getting much in the way of shaking and I use the same wheel.

Going to be a couple of days till I get another go I think, bit of a crunch time for us right now, looking forward to getting a few more laps in though, have probably managed a total of about 30 laps so far :/

Zeth

I've been using the controller settings posted a few pages back - they work pretty well but I'd like to tinker a bit more. Anyone else have a setup they like?

Seanspeed

Banned

Put your foot down harder. You've got to use a little bit of restraint, but its not exactly a wheelspin monster, either. If you're still in 4th gear at the end of the straight, something is wrong. I'm at the end of 5th gear by then.

Speaking of that straight, where are you guys braking at the end of it? I see Jambo braking around 80m or so and I simply cant manage to slow down from that point. I'm about at 95m, just a fraction after I pass the 100m board.

EDIT: Alright Petran, I knew you'd catch up to me sooner or later. Aargh, need to be quicker!

p3tran

Banned
Yeah, I give in. Just bought it. Can't wait to play it after work today.
yeah, well, here's a wish: I wish that all the battles you loose have outcomes as this one :D
best 35e I spent in a long time.. :)

It's strange, am not getting much in the way of shaking and I use the same wheel.

Going to be a couple of days till I get another go I think, bit of a crunch time for us right now, looking forward to getting a few more laps in though, have probably managed a total of about 30 laps so far :/
indeed its strange.. and this wheel is new. probably less than 4-5 hours playtime on this before AC dropped.

After selling my wheel, I bought this one "just in case", and maybe for gt6, until the fuckheads at microsoft and sony figure out their shit, and someone creates a wheel that plays for everything...
but the first one I received (same model), it was borked, the brake pedal would press itself at 10% all the time, so I had it changed.
I thought this second one was good, but my opinion was based on that the brake pedal did not get stuck :D

so, what are you crunching? you have hinted that you work on games, and racing games to be more exact.. us in this topic, i think most of us we like racing games..
so, SPEAK!! :)

EDIT: Alright Petran, I knew you'd catch up to me sooner or later. Aargh, need to be quicker!
D.U.D.E.!! you are racing with a fuckin'360 pad!! I need at least a full second ahead of you else I quit gaming!!! :D

JamboGT

Speaking of that straight, where are you guys braking at the end of it? I see Jambo braking around 80m or so and I simply cant manage to slow down from that point. I'm about at 95m, just a fraction after I pass the 100m board.

I still can't match that corner exit into turn 1 on any of my following laps, not sure how I managed it that time, just run into the gravel if I try it now so braking earlier!

Ah what I am working on, won't say much as it is off topic, but it is NASCAR 2014, this is the first game I have had any real input on the last one I was QA and then setup challenges and things. This time I am working a bit on design as well as setup so it is quite exciting if busy!
The game has got mixed reactions in the past but on console with 43 cars on track I am pretty proud of it, and on track feel is much improved this time we think! As well as myself we have an ex iracing world champ working on the handling as well so he keeps my ego well in check when it comes to racing games! (I have no ego anymore :()

p3tran

Banned
I still can't match that corner exit into turn 1 on any of my following laps, not sure how I managed it that time, just run into the gravel if I try it now so braking earlier!

Ah what I am working on, won't say much as it is off topic, but it is NASCAR 2014, this is the first game I have had any real input on the last one I was QA and then setup challenges and things. This time I am working a bit on design as well as setup so it is quite exciting if busy!
The game has got mixed reactions in the past but on console with 43 cars on track I am pretty proud of it, and on track feel is much improved this time we think! As well as myself we have an ex iracing world champ working on the handling as well so he keeps my ego well in check when it comes to racing games! (I have no ego anymore :()

nice! even though I am mediterranean, and nascar is far from popular here, I will be sure to check it out! to tell you the truth, I thought that guys who only do left turns could not perform well in ..magione :D so you surprized me twice here :D
also, if that dude ruins your ego, next time tell him that his title "world champ iracing" sounds BORING! like yoshida on david cage levels boring! lolol that should chip him nicely I'd say ;)

edit:
thats my shadow creeping up yo ass BT :D (ps that thing not in my game, so settings?)

JamboGT

Haha, well I am from Northern Ireland so not the biggest thing there either, we do have a couple of road courses though ;)

To be honest I enjoy it, oval racing is such a different type of racing and to be honest it is difficult!

Seanspeed

Banned
D.U.D.E.!! you are racing with a fuckin'360 pad!! I need at least a full second ahead of you else I quit gaming!!! :D
I really don't feel its hurting me that much. Not with the X-Bow at least. I don't ever feel like I'm fighting it or that I could do anything drastically better if it weren't for the controller.

With the Lotus 49, though, well, lets just say that I'm going to struggle if we do a hotlap competition with it. Its extremely difficult to drive and requires some seriously smooth inputs to keep it in check, which a controller is not good for.

Ok, glad to know I can give up trying to do it. :)

Didn't the NASCAR games have a decent reputation in terms of the driving model? I haven't played any of em, but I certainly thought they were at least respectable in the 'sim' department.

JamboGT

Yeah that turn 1 was a freak :/

Yeah the handling was pretty good I have to say, when you went over the limit it got quite iffy though and we have worked to improve that. Am certainly having a lot more fun with it now.

edit:
thats my shadow creeping up yo ass BT :D (ps that thing not in my game, so settings?)

Yeah, I don't know what's happened. I went to make a video of a lap and noticed it was like that. It's not limited to the rear either. There's a weird box that appears and disappears around my whole car. I don't know if it's a bug, or something's corrupted or what. It's not a shadow settings issue however. I went through those, and no change. I'll look into it when I get home.

_machine

Still getting used to this G25 and really limited on time, but here's my time for now if I can't make the time to improve it:
There's definitely easy 1-2 seconds to catch, but I'd like to fiddle with the car a bit more to cure some of the understeer.

Same gear selection here. I originally tried staying in 3rd for the last 4-corner complex to reduce wheelspin, saved all kinds of time, then did exactly what you described for the corners above (as those two together are the most important corners on the track in terms of potential time savings).

My main problem area is nailing the braking/turn-in off the back straight... I tend to find myself dipping the outside wheels into the gravel off that curbing mid-corner all too often.

p3tran

Banned
Same gear selection here. I originally tried staying in 3rd for the last 4-corner complex to reduce wheelspin, saved all kinds of time, then did exactly what you described for the corners above (as those two together are the most important corners on the track in terms of potential time savings).

My main problem area is nailing the braking/turn-in off the back straight... I tend to find myself dipping the outside wheels into the gravel off that curbing mid-corner all too often.

well, basically at the level you are competing (well, 1.19 and below ) and unless some secret path appears that trims the times further, I'm guessing all of you are fighting right on the edge between "best lap" and "accident" to further improve laptimes :)

so you are good already, no worries 8)

disap.ed

So turned off Stability Control completely and did a 1:23:172 from 1:24:412 yesterday.
Still a lot of mistakes so I could imagine making a low 1:22:x or even 1:21 time when achieving a "perfect" lap (for my proportions this is)
Everything else the same (XB360 controller, ABS, TC)

Am a big lad but you don''t all need to call me jumbo :p

Going back to my thoughts on the game, was discussing it in work, and what really sets it apart is that it felt comfortable straight away, there were no real nuances you had to learn before going quickly. And that's because it reacts as you would expect, it is done so well that it all feels natural, well as far as driving a car is natural that is. And I think for a sim that's the best thing you can say about it, it just feels right.

I agree, if the development continues as planned they have a real gem on their hands. There's something about it that reminds me of the good old F355 Challenge. I want that car in AC!

I will try to get some more laps in tonight, Seanspeed is a good motivation for us controller plebes.

Addy

Neo Member
1:22.936

Wheel/pedal setup 2 aids, auto clutch and blip&cut.

Still locking up brakes and late apexing a lot, so hopefully I'll shave some time off.

I'm playing around with the FFB settings a lot on my wheel and in the game. Not getting much feedback on grip, pretty much only bumps on the road and locking up brakes chatter. The netKar pro demo has some of best FFB I've ever felt. So I'm not sure if it's my setup or what.

I have a Fanatec PWTS with ClubSport pedals, in game running 55% gain and .10 damping, any higher gain and it's just a buzzsaw.
p3h3tOg.jpg

Ally1987

guys, help me here! I cant change the camera view. on controller setup it ses button C to change the camera, but it wont change when I press C?

Top Bottom