• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

LbQG0CI.png

Everyone is welcome to come and join in on the fun. Wheels, controllers, TC, STM, however you enjoy yourself. If you are running with something other than a wheel and no aids, please include that with your time to make it easier for comparison.

If you'd like to include videos or pictures of your lap (or laptime), please do. It makes it a little more fun.

It's about having fun and hopefully improving your skills. No one is too slow. Hopefully everyone can find a natural rival. The more people who participate, the greater that chance.

Rules? Do we need any? We're all adults. No need to BS anybody. Until the game's scoreboard goes public there no point in being the fastest in world. Which is why I'd like to keep setups and fuel levels at default for our challenges. At least for the time being. IMO, they just add to the time sink, and can alienate people who aren't savvy with a virtual wrench. I just want to make it as easy as possible to participate.

Post your times, and I'll keep this updated, and bumped.

1. Funky Functionality - 1:19.340 picture
2. JamboGT - 1.19.392 picture
3. markao - 1.19.536 video, picture
4. CLR_CMOS - 1.19.548 picture
5. Big Takeover - 1.19.648 picture
6. Snubbers - 1:19:800 auto-clutch picture
7. Seanspeed - 1:20.380 controller video, picture
8. jimforspeed - 1.20.616 picture
9. Polyphony - 1.20.636 telem picture
10. TJP - 1.20.640 picture
11. SpeedOfNuts - 1.20.668
12. schennmu - 1.21.064 controller/ABS, picture
13. p3tran - 1.21.120 picture
14. gutterboy44 - 1:21:808
15. Addy - 1:22.516 picture, auto clutch and auto blip
16. disap.ed - 1:22.220 controller ABS/TC picture
17. _machine - 1.23.948 picture
18. Addnan - 1:23.952
19. Shaneus - 1:26:140

Video - reference lap from JAmboGT :)

Korezo

Did AC get a update that fixed aliasing? Because now my game looks nothing like what it was at launch it much more clean with AA off or on. I can't even tell the difference with aa off or on and now I also get much higher fps than launch version.

Did AC get a update that fixed aliasing? Because now my game looks nothing like what it was at launch it much more clean with AA off or on. I can't even tell the difference with aa off or on and now I also get much higher fps than launch version.

Hmmm, not sure but you might be on to something. But the difference is clear to me.

Comparison:

No AA
4xMSAA
FXAA 6

Seanspeed

Banned
:O This game is good! Wow, just did a few laps for the weekly challenge. Felt fantastic right out of the gate. I cannot wait to play more. Wow, incredibly impressed so far. Will have to tweak my wheel settings after dinner.

Had to nuke my whole installation to get the weird shadow thing to disappear. :\

I did find someone on the official forums that had the same issue, but Kunos replied that they had fixed it on their end. Not sure what happened. I did do a lot of poking around, checking out all the ini parameters and such. I could have easily f'd something up. No big deal however. All fixed now.

Also, put yourself in there, man!

I don't have any more replays or lap times now, but I've got that screenshot I can use as a place holder ;-) Never did hit that .18 btw. I guess it wasn't so "ugly and flappy"! Funny how that happens.

It's great to see so many people having a go at a lap time. Good job by all. I called it a "weekly challenge", but if you guys want to move on quicker we can do that. Up to you folks. We'll give it to Wednesday at least. EDIT: Sorry, missed Metal's post. You're welcome to do the laps whenever you'd like (can). Bump the challenge, and gloat :) If other people want more time, we can do that however.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I just bought the game, after reading this thread.

Before hooking my DFGT up tomorrow, I decided to try classic Monza with the Exige. I actually fell over the grass wall at Parabolica, oops.

The game looks amazing on my HD7970, gets a decent FPS, and I hope it will play nice with the DFGT. Hoping the game progresses well on early access.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't have any more replays or lap times now, but I've got that screenshot I can use as a place holder ;-) Never did hit that .18 btw. I guess it wasn't so "ugly and flappy"! Funny how that happens.
You'll get there. No way you've hit a wall that quickly.

I'm down to a 1:20.380.

Figured out a few tricks. ;) I think I can break into the 1:19's with a really good lap.

markao

Kids finally stopped bugging me for candy, St Maarten (little bit like Halloween, just kids carry lanterns instead of being dressed up ;) ) and after that I finally had time to do a few laps.

Default set-up, pro assist (no clue what is active then or what not ? ), two wheels within white lines, no idea if there were other rules. First corner is still adventure every single lap, few little errors, but that more or less always the case, so there is some little time still to be gained. Timing seems somewhat bugged, at least the "sector times".

KTM X-BOW R - Autodromo Di Magione - two laps 1.20.0/1.19,852 (youtube)

xbowhujof.jpg

Addy

Neo Member
knocked off 4 tenths...maybe not update worthy but done for the night :)

1:22.516

Wheel/pedal aids- auto clutch and auto blip

rbxrOkb.jpg

Love the videos as always, markao.

I never used any grass, and I didn't put any wheels on the double-decker curbs, but I used all the legit curbing the track has (which is a lot!). Tack on 3/4 of second to your time by using the curbing at the two turns prior to the back straight.

I tried using the sector times on screen, but like you, I found it to be kind of weird. The delta timer is a must though.

Oh, hey. That's adorable!

If Marvel shows up, he'll put some numbers on the board too.
Unfortunately, after a brief stint with Assetto Corsa, I've regressed to rFactor 2, where it's warm and cosy. Although, after a little more development from Kunos I will no doubt return. It's just not the simulator for me at this moment in time. Without wanting to be disparaging towards AC, there's something so horribly Gran Turismo about it in its present form. Once the FFB, sound and soul have matured, maybe AC won't feel so clinical.

That being said, Assetto Corsa is just so fucking gorgeous. I can watch that BMW gif all day.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Get GT6 man. AC is an early release game, without a whole lot of content. GT6 will be a complete package out-of-the-box.

AC is good, so I don't see it losing popularity anytime soon. It will be here when you need it. :)

Probably microstuttering. Common with multi-GPU setups in unoptimized games.

Yeah you're probably right, this isn't like PCars where I was kicking myself for months to have missed it (no option to buy in the crow funding anymore, but now that AC and GT6 are here I'll probably wait for the full package even if they come around to offer buying in again); it's just that I know I'll be sad I won't be able to participate in tight and friendly hotlap competitions with you guys, it's cool to build and be a part of a nice, little community whereas I know GT will be a massive "event" once again: even tho I love (love!) the NRL there are guys who've been playing GT for ages and are crazy skilled... with AC I'd feel less at a disadvantage, even if finishing last, just because we'd all be starting from the same ground.

So yeah, for the time being GT6 it is. Hopefully my mate will get AC and letting me try it on my rig sooner rather than later.

Seanspeed

Banned
:D

actually I am replacing the wheel once again, hopefully the third one will work.
until then, gimme you pad settings so I can see what I can do to get out of last place in this competition :D
Haven't messed with the controller settings yet, actually.

I looked at them. I have no deadzone issues. Sensitivity feels fine for me. And I don't know what the other settings do. lol

Unfortunately, after a brief stint with Assetto Corsa, I've regressed to rFactor 2, where it's warm and cosy. Although, after a little more development from Kunos I will no doubt return. It's just not the simulator for me at this moment in time. Without wanting to be disparaging towards AC, there's something so horribly Gran Turismo about it in its present form. Once the FFB, sound and soul have matured, maybe AC won't feel so clinical.

That being said, Assetto Corsa is just so fucking gorgeous. I can watch that BMW gif all day.

I can certainly respect that point of view.

These things are always so divisive, and AC is no different. The high grip nature of it means you're always trying to extract behavior from the car, whereas in something like rF2 you spend most of your time limiting it. It's such a different approach, and one that makes AC feel quite a bit more accessible. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing however. You still have to work hard at the limit. It really depends on where you find your fun in these things because they are so different.

CLR_CMOS

Neo Member
Knocked off a few tenths... I usually hate hot lapping, but not in this game. The cars are just so much fun to drive.

oEFAfCO.png

Ally1987

there is no physical damages on the cars in this game? I smashed into to a wall and the car still look shiny new

markao

With GAF down earlier on, I also did few sessions and improved to 1.19.536, still few errors here and there More and more are hitting in that 1.19 mid range, so expect a good one to hit the 19 low mark.

2u0qzy.jpg

Sunte-Marten.jpg

Oh, hey. That's adorable!
That's not my neighbourhood :p
Here it is more; "Jimmy sing, I sad Jimmy sing, you wanna go to bed" Jimmy cries, mom shouts, Mark says something nice about candle, Jimmy cries more and I quickly hand over the Candy, Jimmy stops crying......repeat :p

Shaneus

I can certainly respect that point of view.

These things are always so divisive, and AC is no different. The high grip nature of it means you're always trying to extract behavior from the car, whereas in something like rF2 you spend most of your time limiting it. It's such a different approach, and one that makes AC feel quite a bit more accessible. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing however. You still have to work hard at the limit. It really depends on where you find your fun in these things because they are so different.
Hm, that's a really, really interesting clarification. Which one do you think is more accurate? IM(uneducated)O sims can tend to err on the side of being more difficult and possibly hyperrealistic in portraying things like lack of grip so they feel more "simmy". It's been a while since I've fired up rF2 (compared to GSC and obviously AC) but it feels like that could well be the case, at least with some sims.

markao

Ha, so it really is like Halloween :\ You had to go and ruin it! I still love the lanterns however.
It's quite cute, as they build there lanterns at their schools, learn some songs and than when the sun goes down they light them and travel trough the neighbourhood. (its more some people in my neighbourhood ;) )

disap.ed

New time
TGEvodz.jpg

It's getting better.

I had a strange bug, it once showed me a time of 1:22:140 after the hotlap but the personal best time stayed at 1:22:6xx (this was before the posted time)

And god I hate that you can't navigate through or even enter the pause menu with the controller.

Are there official forums where I could post this?

Snubbers

Awesome!!

I just re-arranged my (tiny) home office to squeeze in my racing rig, bit of tight fit, but it's worth it!!!

Finally I got a few hours on AC tonight.. I haven't got the wheel dialled in yet, and struggling with brakes!! But love the physics, the absolute best blend of all games I've played, really really enjoyable..

As an opening time, I managed a 1:19:800 (Wheel, Pro settings with auto clutch)

O0gq55O.jpg

Any tips on the brakes? I think I could shave quite a bit off with ABS, but I kind of want to stick with minimal assists,.. I need to adjust the clutch 'bite point' on my clubsports, it's way too high at the moment..

Hm, that's a really, really interesting clarification. Which one do you think is more accurate? IM(uneducated)O sims can tend to err on the side of being more difficult and possibly hyperrealistic in portraying things like lack of grip so they feel more "simmy". It's been a while since I've fired up rF2 (compared to GSC and obviously AC) but it feels like that could well be the case, at least with some sims.

I hate to give you a non-answer, but A. I'm not really qualified to answer that, and B. I don't ever, like never-ever, think about "real" when I'm playing. All I ever think about is in terms of fun, and engaging, and gratifying. "Real" is a bit too abstract for me when talking video games. It's not real, and I don't ever pretend that it is. I'm just trying to have a bit of fun!

I know there is a lot of very real math that goes into these things (the more the merrier!), but I think it's the creative freedom that makes them so different. Really what we're talking about is who made their sim the most fun to play. In turn that makes it as much about personal preference as chocolate or vanilla.

Sorry, I think I'm in a bit of a mood! Probably because I'm hungry! Got to eat and then turn some laps. I'm off the podium!

TJP

Big Takeover says it best below but I'll add my 2 cents worth:

*Game Stock Car - tested and played by real stock car drivers and notable Brazilian drivers such as Rubens Barrichello = good enough for me.
*Assetto Corsa tested by real world Ferrari GT racer Alessandro Balzan "Just finished to test @AC_assettocorsa I never never had a feeling of tyres and car like that. Later I will write all impression!#shockreal!" = good enough for me.
*pCARS - analysed and critiqued by Ben Collins and Nic Hamilton = good enough for me.
*SimBin DTM - tested and tweaked on feedback provided by at least 3 DTM drivers = good enough for me.
*rFactor 2 - ISI work alongside vehicle designers and manufacturers to get the car as close accurate in rF2 as possible = good enough for me.

Goes away and re-reads EVO magazine's McLaren HQ's report by Richard Meaden who drives McLaren's multi-million pound simulator that requires 4-6 technicians to run and Meaden descovers that the simulated MP4-12C is not a patch on the real thing. McLaren test driver says the same; good for testing parts and not much else. I then wonder if McLaren can't get their simulator 100% accurate then who can? In the end does it really matter?

These questions neatly ties into what Big Takeover posted:
All I ever think about is in terms of fun, and engaging, and gratifying. "Real" is a bit too abstract for me when talking video games. It's not real, and I don't ever pretend that it is. I'm just trying to have a bit of fun! I know there is a lot of very real math that goes into these things (the more the merrier!), but I think it's the creative freedom that makes them so different. Really what we're talking about is who made their sim the most fun to play. In turn that makes it as much as about personal preference as chocolate or vanilla.
I'm not meaning or trying to denigrate the hard work of any simulation developers as I find very much to like in all of the sims I listed above. In the end though for me sim racing is largely about how a respective sim makes me feel and what I find both interesting and believable (a highly subjective area). I'll never be one of the lucky few who've actually driven the vehicles in real lfe and in a sim so I'll never know how close to real they truly are; I'm satisfied if an actual professional driver has given his or her their 'thumbs up' assessment.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This game really needs to be able to export animation data to CG packages.

I had the 18! Shit. I could shoot myself. Missed the penultimate apex and got no drive out of the last corner, watched my 19.5 ghost walk away. I was right on its tail with its 1 second advantage, would've been 18.7ish. Ugh.

1:19.340

JamboGT

Oh dear, am going to have to have a go tonight then and get that 18!

If I get out of work at a reasonable time that is...

Top Bottom