• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

lem0n

I'm playing this on an Alienware X51 (the small one) and it makes my fans turn on MAX. Like, a jet plane. Been playing BF4 and have not had them get even close to that high... anyone else experience this?

Shaneus

Awesome news Three60, can't wait. :D

Shaneus, stock setup. I just did a longer stint to test effect of lower fuel. No aids, fanatec csr @ 900 degrees, clubsport pedals and H shifter. With sequential shifter it's much harder - rear tires lock up very easily on downshifts.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35281432/assetto_corsa/xbow_magione_1_18_600.jpg

1.18.600 on 4th lap. I still can't pull off a perfect lap though. This track is really hard. And a lot of time can be lost be pushing it too hard.. Really have to do it smart and take it easy. A lot of time can be gained on the straightaways, so make sure to get the exit of the corners right.

And thanks guys. :)
That's interesting... I noticed that too. I'm probably disadvantaged because I have a load-cell spring on my G27 stock pedals, too. I'm not overjoyed with the G27 stock H-shifter either, it's just too clunky and cheap feeling. I think I might try and take the leather off and see if that makes a difference.

Alternately, are there any cheap H shifters or mods for the stock G27 one to make it better?

TJP

That's interesting... I noticed that too. I'm probably disadvantaged because I have a load-cell spring on my G27 stock pedals, too. I'm not overjoyed with the G27 stock H-shifter either, it's just too clunky and cheap feeling. I think I might try and take the leather off and see if that makes a difference.
The G27 pedals are really shithouse! Hats off to those who can use these; I'm always stuggling with locking wheels under heavy braking as there is zero feel. If you find a nice mod (other that the GT spring mod sold on fleabay) please post it here.

I'd love to upgrade to a T500 with the loadcell pedals Thrustmaster released pictures of..perhaps after Xmas

The G27 pedals are really shithouse! Hats off to those who can use these; I'm always stuggling with locking wheels under heavy braking as there is zero feel. If you find a nice mod (other that the GT spring mod sold on fleabay) please post it here.

I'd love to upgrade to a T500 with the loadcell pedals Thrustmaster released pictures of..perhaps after Xmas

Sock mod. I discovered it in the iRacing forums. Cut a strip of sock, and cram it inside your brake spring. Fucking amazing.

Shaneus

I thought it was you who put me onto this? Might've been Takeover. But man, go Australian Made (tm)!
SDVrSObm.jpg

I bought it via eBay (he has an account on there) and no shit, I got it two days later. Pretty sure there's an ISR review for it as well.

TJP

I bought it via eBay (he has an account on there) and no shit, I got it two days later. Pretty sure there's an ISR review for it as well.
ISR did record a review and he has a website as well. I don't think he's on the Nixim Xmas card list either ;)

I'm done..

7XdazRN.jpg

Hats off to the fastest guys here; some amazing laps being recorded!

JamboGT

Hah, the stock DFGT pedals are probably not an advantage here but have gotten pretty used to them.

Just watched Kamkors lap, man I am jealous of those gearchanges haha

I have the replay of my fastest lap saved so will try to upload it over the weekend, much more inline and boring looking than Kamkors though!

Shaneus

ISR did record a review and he has a website as well. I don't think he's on the Nixim Xmas card list either ;)

I'm done..

7XdazRN.jpg

Hats off to the fastest guys here; some amazing laps being recorded!
Apparently it feels better than the Nixim (or not far off, anyway). Still, $30 is a steal. Support your fellow countryman!

DAT 5-3 downshift

Nice lap. Preloaded upshifts? Huge straightaway speed. The good exits probably have a lot t do with that :)

I jumped the gun, and had Jambo pick a car/track combo, but if you can get me yours in the next couple of hours we'll roll with that instead.

@TJP & Shaneus Yeah, I have a GTEYE. I like it better than any homemade contraption I've come up with. It does click when fully compressed as the ISR guys mention. No biggie, as I don't calibrate for all the travel anyways. I've forever been a sock guy, but the spring did make me convert to light shoes (Onitsuka Tiger or actually my Adidas water shoes are prob my favs). It's certainly no loadcell, but it's better.

kamkor

Neo Member
I have the replay of my fastest lap saved so will try to upload it over the weekend, much more inline and boring looking than Kamkors though!

Looking forward to watching it. :) Boring is usually faster, I'm suprised this lap was pretty fast. :D My best lap didn't have as much action/sliding.

DAT 5-3 downshift

Nice lap. Preloaded upshifts? Huge straightaway speed. The good exits probably have a lot t do with that :)

I jumped the gun, and had Jambo pick a car/track combo, but if you can get me yours in the next couple of hours we'll roll with that instead.

What are preloaded upshifts? I did normal shifting. When I could, I didn't lift off. I've also been shifting 5-3, because I'm not used to fanatec H shifter and kept screwing up with 5-4-3.

Yes, good exists made a big difference. Can be easily seen when following a ghost car. :)

About the combo, let's leave it as it is. :)

What are preloaded upshifts? I did normal shifting. When I could, I didn't lift off. I've also been shifting 5-3, because I'm not used to fanatec H shifter and kept screwing up with 5-4-3.

Yes, good exists made a big difference. Can be easily seen when following a ghost car. :)

About the combo, let's leave it as it is. :)

I'm not telling you :p You don't need any more speed! Just joking, I'm not sure it's even possible, or necessary in AC. It's an old iRacing trick that lets you preselect gears for super fast upshifts.

Cool. He picked a good one which I think will be fun. You'll get more chances to pick no doubt! I'll have something up in a few hours.

Describe in greater detail please, I am intrigued :)

OK, I will probably be putting a new sock in my pedal soon because I want it a little stiffer so I will take more detailed pics then. But in this pic you can see the person put a heavy rubber bumper inside the piston spring of his brake pedal cylinders. Instead of using a heavy rubber, you can just cut a strip of sock that you can wad up or roll up and pack the entire inside of the spring with the sock. You have to experiment with the feel a little bit and it does "settle" after the first few uses, but since then the brake feel has been consistent and feels very much like a real brake pedal. light, but resistant onset with a quick firm build in pressure that turns to very firm with heavy pressure. You can also glue pennies at the top and bottom of the inside of the cylinders so it is a flat even surface pressing against the sock and not the protruding alignment nubs. This will probably help the sock wear better over time.

PS - This mod is definitely better for PC as you can tweak your brake range settings, which I have never seen in a console game. However, I have not had a problem in GT5 with it registering a full brake pressure so it seems fine.

Where you see the black rubber stopper, replace that with a tightly packed wad of sock. Almost all of the spring will be full of sock.
img0125smalld.jpg

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
I leave you a Assetto Corsa video in which I've applied some filters to have a tonality, lighting, lens effect and realistic sound, all as though were captured from a camera in this position, its a onboard lap with Lotus 49 in Imola.

Congratulations kamkor!

aEUbTFE.png

Link to full results

*Get an avatar you lowlife!

If you'd like to continue working on your week 1 time, or you still haven't had a chance to get to it yet, feel free to continue posting times and I'll add them to the master list.

3ekTKtU.png

Everyone is welcome to come and join in on the fun. Wheels, controllers, TC, STM, however you enjoy yourself. If you are running with something other than a wheel and no aids, please include that with your time to make it easier for comparison.

If you'd like to include videos or pictures of your lap (or laptime), please do. It makes it a little more fun.

It's about having fun and hopefully improving your skills. No one is too slow. Hopefully everyone can find a natural rival. The more people who participate, the greater that chance.

Rules? Do we need any? We're all adults. No need to BS anybody. Until the game's scoreboard goes public there no point in being the fastest in world. Which is why I'd like to keep setups and fuel levels at default for our challenges. At least for the time being. IMO, they just add to the time sink, and can alienate people who aren't savvy with a virtual wrench. I just want to make it as easy as possible to participate.

Post your times, and I'll keep this updated, and bumped.

1. kamkor - 1.44.884 video, picture
2. Snubbers - 1:45,548 picture
3. CLR_CMOS 1:45.744 picture
4. Arucardo - 1:46.024 picture
5. JamboGT - 1:46.652 picture
6. Polyphony - 1.47.004 picture
7. Seanspeed - 1:49.3
8. subwilde - 1:51.928 picture

chifanpoe

I did all of the nixim mods to my G27 setup. They helped me out a lot.

http://www.nixim.com/index.php?pageid=brakemod

subwilde

This is probably a bad time and I'm hesitant to post first but I just bought my G27 on Tuesday. This should give other beginners somewhat of a reference point :p

No assists

cHY4BWt.jpg

Arucardo

1:47.460

Plenty of room for improvement though and I haven't touched the setup yet. Not sure how much time I'll have this weekend either :\

EDIT:
ackkckr.png

I think I'm underestimating the braking of this car way too much, should have plenty of time to be gained from braking.

Plenty of room for improvement though and I haven't touched the setup yet.

It should remain untouched:

I'd like to keep setups and fuel levels at default for our challenges. At least for the time being. IMO, they just add to the time sink, and can alienate people who aren't savvy with a virtual wrench. I just want to make it as easy as possible to participate.

This should be a really fun combo... putting in some laps ASAP today.

Seanspeed

Banned
Only done a few laps, but still, I'm only at 1:49.3 and I think I'm not going to come anywhere close to these better times. Maybe high 1:47's.

Shaneus

I read a small interview/intro with/of him not so long ago. Has a very interesting background, will be good to hear what he has to say.

TJP

Niels Heusinkveld (GSC, rF physics guru) talk and drives AC. Very interesting, and enjoyable.

http://youtu.be/hCNNV80nmms
Excellent stuff from Niels as per usual & well worth watching as he isn't all praise and no constructive criticism. Interesting comments from Niels regarding the long held notion of hard equals real which Niels, along with Aris from Kunos, doesn't believe is realistic at all.

At this point I'd love to see Niels make a few mods for Assetto Corsa; one can only imagine Game Stock Car powered by Assetto Corsa's graphics and physics engines.

TJP

Ravsim Assetto Corsa drive and comment: http://ravsim.com/2013/11/14/assetto-corsa-the-cars-the-star/

@Aristotelis Vasilakos: Nick Catsburg drives #assettocorsa :

First feeling of sim and car balance is very very very nice
I like the little oversteer you get under brakes once in ABS
I like the, almost impossible to save, second oversteer, same in real life

So who is Nick Catsburg? BMW Z4 GT3 driver in Blancpain Endurance Championship. LMPC driver in the European Le Mans Series.

Aristotelis Vasilakos also tweeted:
We don't have the budget to pay testimonials, so we gladly accept whoever is curious to try our sim :)

I leave you a Assetto Corsa video in which I've applied some filters to have a tonality, lighting, lens effect and realistic sound, all as though were captured from a camera in this position, its a onboard lap with Lotus 49 in Imola.

The Lotus looks absolutely gorgeous! But I'd say it seems a lot more forgiving in the turns than what I remember from Grand Prix Legends. And I miss the sounds of the air rushing by and the tire tread on the pavement...

Snubbers

Some awesome times being set so quickly!

The advice people are giving is great, my time's improved from late 1:48 to 1:47's just looking at what has been said, namely getting good exit speed's, and watching replays I'm often down too low a gear on some corners!

[edit] Faster times posted below!

Arucardo

I noticed you had my time wrong, so I had to improve on it ;)

acuoswc.png

No time to improve on this one, need to head back to the barracks soon.

Snubbers

Nice to see times falling..

[edit] Slight Faster time posted below!

To be honest, there was one corner that slightly went wider then I'd like, but not enough to trigger the slow down..

Awesome time CLR_CMOS, shame your wheel has to go back.. I might get closer to you, but I'm in the realms of needing a perfect lap..

Seanspeed

Banned
I cant get anywhere close(1:48.0). I think I'm just hanging this up til I get a wheel. I should have waited to buy it. So far, the only car I think that drives well with a controller is the X-Bow, so I got a false impression having that as the first competition.

Which is fine. The game needs a lot of work still. Hopefully when I come back, I'll actually be able to race in this racing game...

Snubbers

I cant get anywhere close(1:48.0). I think I'm just hanging this up til I get a wheel. I should have waited to buy it. So far, the only car I think that drives well with a controller is the X-Bow, so I got a false impression having that as the first competition.

Which is fine. The game needs a lot of work still. Hopefully when I come back, I'll actually be able to race in this racing game...

It took a while for me to get into the 1:47s, from then on it was learning the track braking points, and what lateral grip the car has, it seems you can take a lot more speed into the corner then I thought, as long as you aren't trail braking.

If it helps, here's my 1:45.892 lap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNcJ38RLiw

Snubbers

Bit more time shaved off here and there..

1:45,548

p6v65rG.jpg

I think I can maybe shave 1-200'ths off max, that's sliding it in on a couple of corners which is very hit or miss..

I'm not sure about the 'bouncing' that it does over the little bump sometimes, you have to be millimetre accurate to get it totally settled through some corners..

Top Bottom