• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I think that the game won't sell well, and will be forgotten quickly, like a wet fart in the wind.

I am saying that as someone who wants a lot of Sony platformers.
What does won't sell well even mean in this context? What's your sales figure prediction for Astro Bot?

Also, there's considerably more hype for Astro Bot than for example Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and the latter sold over 4M copies as of June 2023. Would that be a low number for Astro Bot?

That's fine, but it isn't "proof". It is simply your own perception of other people's opinions. No one here is going to accept that as proof of anything and they shouldn't, because it just isn't.
It’s easy to say it isn’t “proof” because in order to “prove” my claim of review scores being inflated is technically an impossible feat. How could you scientifically “prove” something like that? We both know you can’t.

It’s not like a murder where I can find fingerprints on a weapon or DNA at the scene to “prove” someone did it.

I used the word “proof” because my evidence comes as close to “proof” as I can possibly get. My claim is obviously a theory, but it’s a theory based a large collective of opinions for these games when compared to their last-gen predecessors.

You may think that those sequels are all better or equal than the ones released last generation, but please be aware, you are in the minority on that.

Feel free to conduct a poll on this website for “which game was better” for each of those franchises (except for AstroBot obviously) and get back to me with the results.

Gotta pretty strong feeling my theory will materialize in the poll results. Overwhelmingly so, actually.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

I hope Sony learns from this that you CAN make great games that sell well that are smaller in budget and come out more frequently

AstroBot 2 as a PS6 launch title is basically guaranteed at this point

Now make Asobi bigger and have multiple teams/projects. Build them into the entire future of SCEJ from the ashes of what was shut down

Imagine Asobi taking on the Zelda series for instance?
This is greedy exec thinking.

Let’s take something that (really) works and drastically change it to make more.

Astrobot is charming as F and if they retained the guy who did the Rescue Missions OST, you'll be in paradise.

It's honestly full-on retarded on Sony's part that they've taken this long to give the masses a true Astrobot game. Playroom is a great pack-in but it is a fart in the wind compared to Rescue Mission. Team Asobi is the real deal and Astrobot is the IP that Sony should be running with.

Okay. So that means you can't have conspiracy/troll takes. Right.....
1) It’s not a conspiracy
2) It’s not a troll, I don’t troll
3) If I did troll, I wouldn’t spend so much time typing up so many elaborate and coherent posts across multiple pages of a review thread for a game I’m mostly excited to play, because I actually loved the PS5 pack in.

Again, feel free to conduct a poll on this site

Spider-Man vs Spider-Man 2
GoW 2018 vs GoW Ragnarok
HZD vs HFW

If I lose, I’ll pack it up and admit I’m full of shit.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It’s easy to say it isn’t “proof” because in order to “prove” my claim of review scores being inflated is technically an impossible feat. How could you scientifically “prove” something like that? We both know you can’t.

It’s not like a murder where I can find fingerprints on a weapon or DNA at the scene to “prove” someone did it.

I used the word “proof” because my evidence comes as close to “proof” as I can possibly get. My claim is obviously a theory, but it’s a theory based a large collective of opinions for these games when compared to their last-gen predecessors.

You may think that those sequels are all better or equal than the ones released last generation, but please be aware, you are in the minority on that.

Feel free to conduct a poll on this website for “which game was better” for each of those franchises (except for AstroBoot obviously) and get back to me with the results.

Well.....if you make a claim then it is up to you to provide evidence so the poll would be up to you, but it doesn't matter. I already said that I generally agree with what you are saying just not how you are presenting it.

Either way....think we agree that what you are presenting is not "proof" then. Just a theory. All good.

MrJangles

Neo Member
Am I wrong for thinking if this were a Nintendo game it would be at around 97/98 MC?

Like i've heard a lot of people say it's better than Mario Odyssey for one...

Rescue Mission is better than any 3D Mario game imo. This sounds like it's going to blow Mario out of the water and I say that primarily as a Nintendo fan. Never have I played a game like the original Astrobot where I was smiling ear to ear from beginning to end. It was a joyous experience and I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

For the record, I agree with that.
Well.....if you make a claim then it is up to you to provide evidence [….] I already said that I generally agree with what you are saying

Either way....think we agree that what you are presenting is not "proof" then. Just a theory.
Last thing I’ll say in this topic because I just gotta point out the irony.

So…I make a claim that review scores this generation are inflated by pointing out that the Metascores for the sequels are all equal or better than the last-gen predecessors (that are all perceptually held in higher regard by the general consensus)

You basically call me a clown, but agree with me that the prequels from last gen were all better games…and then ask me for “proof” of my claim…

Again…after agreeing that the old games were better - which logically and rationally implies that you also would agree that the newer games are less deserving of their scores than the older ones.

You went through all that effort to make my take seem unhinged and ridiculous, whilst indirectly agreeing with my take.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yup, still hurting

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Fbh

Gold Member
Nice, that's better than I expected but at the some time not surprising since Playroom was already so good as a free bonus.
Hopefully it sells well too and sends a strong message to Sony

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Last thing I’ll say in this topic because I just gotta point out the irony.

So…I make a claim that review scores this generation are inflated because the Metascores for the sequels are all equal or better than the last-gen predecessors.

You basically call me a clown, but agree with me that the prequels last gen were all better games…and then ask me for “proof” of my claim…

Again…after agreeing that the old games were better - which logically and rationally implies that you also would agree that the newer games are less deserving of their scores than the older ones.

You went through all that effort to make my take seem unhinged and ridiculous, whilst indirectly agreeing with my take.

Bullshit. What an absurd mischaracterization of what was said. I never once called you a clown. I never even asked you for "proof" of anything. You were the one who said it was proof and I said it was not. That's the crux of our disagreement.

What you fail to understand is that I can agree with your premise but disagree with your claim that your perception "proves" something. That's what I said from the beginning. So you really need to think about your perception ability considering how poorly you've read this back and forth between us.

Dacvak Dacvak was right. Your takes are really bad.

Last edited:
I have ordered a physical copy of Astro Bot for my kid.
Although, I inteded to buy it anyways as its my kid's fav charcter second only to Mario, the meta score of 94 sealed the deal for me.

So, PS5 has two exclusives (timed exclusive) games released this year with MC of 92+. Not bad. Not bad indeed.

Klayzer

Bullshit. What an absurd mischaracterization of what was said. I never once called you a clown. I never even asked you for "proof" of anything. You were the one who said it was proof and I said it was not. That's the crux of our disagreement.

What you fail to understand is that I can agree with your premise but disagree with your claim that your perception "proves" something. That's what I said from the beginning. So you really need to think about your perception ability considering how poorly you've read this back and forth between us.

Thank you GIF

Someone saying “that’s not proof” essentially implies that you’re asking for actual “proof”.

You never used the word “clown” but go look at your replies on the last page. Look at the gif you posted. Look at the posts you liked dogpiling on my take. You’re being very disingenuous. I haven’t read anything poorly at all.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Someone saying “that’s not proof” essentially implies that you’re asking for actual “proof”.

You never used the word “clown” but go look at your replies on the last page. Look at the gif you posted. You’re being very disingenuous. I haven’t read anything poorly at all.

This was not a request for proof.

Stating your own personal opinion does not "prove" anything.

Perhaps the gifs were uncalled for so I'll apologize for that. I say we leave it there.

No need to apologize. I’m not upset. Obviously a review thread for a PlayStation exclusive is probably the worst place to try and bring up a point about inflated review scores for PlayStation exclusives. Heck, my claim originally wasn’t even about PlayStation games specifically, it was about AAA games this generation as a whole.

PS exclusives were just the examples I used because they were the best and easiest examples I could think of in the moment to try and “prove” my point.

Spider-Man 2 being 3 points above Spider-Man 2018 on Metacritic is absolutely absurd. It was absurd back in October, it’s absurd now, and I have a strong feeling it will seem even more absurd as time passes and when we look back on those games several years from now.

I’m clearly not going to see much support here for what is an otherwise pretty reasonable claim, so I’ll go ahead and leave it there as well.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Laugh it up while continuing to not deny or disprove my point.

God of War Ragnarok - More of the same of 2018, but with none of the “freshness” or the “comeback story”…with some added bloat…and worse writing…and more annoying Atreus…and Kratos acting like a submissive pussy - 94 Metascore

Spider-Man 2
- More of the same of 2018…with woke trash writing…the same repetitive side content…disappointing visual leap…few more swinging mechanics - 90 Metascore

Horizon Forbidden West
- Better graphics…but bloated (in more ways than one) and worse than Zero Dawn in pretty much every way - 88 Metascore

Astro Bot
- Another high quality Astro Bot game…but very likely not of any higher quality than the highly praised “masterpiece” that released in 2018 - 94 Metascore
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Not really.

I haven’t even played Spider-Man 2…or HFW.

What I wrote isn’t based on my opinion but the general opinion I see across the net from people who compare those sequels to the predecessors.

I rarely, and I mean rarely see someone say that any of those sequels are better than the PS4 counterparts. It’s almost always the other way around.

And yet, the reviewers scored them all at least equal or better.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Saw that Sol, kazuya, Ryu and Ken appear in bot form in this. Look forward to seeing that on my tv screen.:messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

kevboard

just started playing, and the first thing that made me really happy is when I saw that they actually use the Playstation button colors for thr in-game UI...

Removing the iconic colors from the Controller buttons is still something I can't believe Sony did... like, why?

also, the game has Secret level exits... love it

Last edited:
It’s not personal opinion.

I haven’t even played a few of those games (though I have played most). A lot of it is based on countless comments and opinions I’ve read over the years from players who have played these games on NeoGAF, Era, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, even instagram comments. Not to mention some IRL acquaintances.

So no, those descriptions are not based on my opinion. They are pretty much consensus are far as I’ve observed over the years.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, where AI is going, Sony will be able to make a real physical Astro Bot!
Aw shit I bet if this game sells well (2m+) they’ll absolutely make a little Astro Bot robot toy.

Sorry man but a clown gif doesn’t really mean much in the way of constructive discussion.

Especially when it’s coming from one of the biggest fanboys currently active on this forum.

Signed, a 10 year lurker who’s cringed at too many of your posts over the last several years.

You’re an insane fanboy if you claim metacritic scores are wrong and yet haven’t even played the damn games

For fuck’s sake, get some perspective and self awareness

Last edited:
You’re an insane fanboy if you claim metacritic scores are wrong and yet haven’t even played the damn games

For fuck’s sake, get some perspective and self awareness
A fanboy of what?

I don’t need to play Super-Man 2, oops I mean Spider-Woke 2, oops I mean Spider-Man 2 to know that it’s Metascore is inflated and its not a better game than the 1st one. I’ve seen enough content from the game and enough opinions online to know exactly what that game is and where it stands against the 1st one, which I did play and enjoy.

From a gameplay standpoint they’re almost exactly the same game. Are you…actually gonna sit here and deny that?

Also, you using the word fanboy is, whew. Several layers of ridiculous irony going on there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom