• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So the next game by team asobi Will probably be astro bot world, there Will be no PlayStation references and they are going to create the lore, the vilain etc Will be insane

nial

I’m glad so many are loving it. Please give Ape Escape to this team.
I actually believe it's up next. Ape Escape is the one IP to get the most love in the entire game, and there's virtually a mini Ape Escape game in the Apes on the Loose level.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I actually believe it's up next. Ape Escape is the one IP to get the most love in the entire game, and there's virtually a mini Ape Escape game in the Apes on the Loose level.
I LOVED that level, also surprised this game bonus levels if you can find it.

Playroom was nothing more than small teaser demo but this full fledge game, I'm loving it.

I personally wan to see ASOBI Team give us new IP......I wan to see more quirky and unique games from these guys.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
why is thirs only #9 on ps store?? you better buy this instead of gaas crud GOTY

farley-fat.gif

PaintTinJr

Does this game require and day 1 patch updates?
I installed it from disc yesterday...wasn't fully paying attention for the full install of ~40GB IIRC, but I don't recall it doing the pause and download patch thing, It certainly didn't when I first put the disc in, because I was pleasantly pleased it seemed devoid of the typical day 1 patching that plagues the industry releases.

tommib

Second world done 100% and it's already a masterpiece for me ☺️ 10/10 without a doubt ☺️

If you have owned every PlayStation day 1 and played most of the big games over 30 years then this really is special. Emotional even. I ♥️ it
The whole thing just comes together by the time you finish the second world and you’re just in awe with the amount of ideas per second the game threw at you.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

TheAssist

Joe Biden Smile GIF by PBS News

After 27 pages I still do not get the hype I am afraid to ask why? Can someone enlighten me?

Its a very good game in a very under served market. If you like rouge lites, pixelart metrovanias, farming games, or FPS's your're fine. If you like good 3D platformers, you are probably starving for a good game.

As much as Sony and Firewalk misread the market with concord by releasing a completely serviceable and average game in a market that does not accept averageness, they did hit decently sized and underserved markets with Astro Bot and probably even more with Helldivers 2.

Weather or not you like these games or find them appealing does not matter, as long as people who do exist and in this case the hype comes from these people being largely ignored by AAA gaming the past few years, if not decade.

Also, its really fun if you play it yourself. Watching videos does not really do it any justice. But I guess if you did not enjoy Astros Playroom you wont like this. Which is fine of course.

Loving the game. It's strangely nostalgic, and it reminds me why I love gaming (when I have the time). My kids stayed up all night playing it. My wife, who is not a gamer, even got in on the fun.

I hope Sony and Team Asobi considers an "Astro Kart" to compete with Mario Kart. Do it, Sony!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sure but no wonder why Sony ditched Days Gone 2, lol. Who would want to work with this asshole?
Exactly. And one of the documented reasons for firing him was that he would shout on his team members and abuse them. Garvin even admitted that he did when he was at Bend Studios.

The team commented that the working environment is much better ever since Sony fired him.

Exactly. And one of the documented reasons for firing him was that he would shout on his team members and abuse them. Garvin even admitted that he did when he was at Bend Studios.

The team commented that the working environment is much better ever since Sony fired him.

This is the typical Jason's bullshit.

The team will miss him when their next game flops and half of them get fired.

Loving the game. It's strangely nostalgic, and it reminds me why I love gaming (when I have the time). My kids stayed up all night playing it. My wife, who is not a gamer, even got in on the fun.

I hope Sony and Team Asobi considers an "Astro Kart" to compete with Mario Kart. Do it, Sony!

This would be cheap. They must do their own thing, their genius doesn't deserve people labelling them Nintendo knockoffs and stuff like that.

sainraja

The base game is selling for $60, not $70.

Also, the main target market of this game is kids. It's not an adult game like RE, Elden Ring etc. Most kids like mine like to play these games multiple times just for fun. The replayability value of this game (for kids) is high, which I believe makes it worth every penny.

For people like me who grew up playing PS1-3 exclusives, this game is a gem. It seems like a history lesson making references to so many (160+) classic characters from Metal Gear, Uncharted, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, and more. The creativity and originality of this game is second to none.

People saying that it has copied elements of Odyssey are bluffing. I've played almost every Mario game to date starting from the original Super Mario Bros on Nes, and there is zero similarity between any Mario old or new game.
Well said.

Hugare

Bought the game yesterday

Been having fun with it, but seems veeeery overrated so far.

Game looks amazingly sharp, love the physics in it, the little animations and how it controls. The use of Dualsense is the best, ever.

But I dont think it compares to the best Marios, for example. Every new Mario comes with new tricks. Astro is a lot like Mario Galaxy. Some power ups are 1-1 to what you probably played in Galaxy or Odyssey.

And I have to say, the PS self masturbation is so cringy. I would rather have them make a game with their own design ideas (the original designs are great).

Like, make a ship that kinda looks like a PS5 controller that makes you go "oh, I see". But putting a PS5 controller there is just tacky, imo.

Im having fun with it, Im just not seeing a 94MC game.

Oh and its so frustrating noticing how underused is the Dualsense this gen. Going from Wukong to Astro is nuts. It feels completely dead in Wukong.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Bought the game yesterday

Been having fun with it, but seems veeeery overrated so far.

Game looks amazingly sharp, love the physics in it, the little animations and how it controls. The use of Dualsense is the best, ever.

But I dont think it compares to the best Marios, for example. Every new Mario comes with new tricks. Astro is a lot like Mario Galaxy. Some power ups are 1-1 to what you probably played in Galaxy or Odyssey.

And I have to say, the PS self masturbation is so cringy. I would rather have them make a game with their own design ideas (the original designs are great).

Like, make a ship that kinda looks like a PS5 controller that makes you go "oh, I see". But putting a PS5 controller there is just tacky, imo.

Im having fun with it, Im just not seeing a 94MC game.

Oh and its so frustrating noticing how underused is the Dualsense this gen. Going from Wukong to Astro is nuts. It feels completely dead in Wukong.

Which Mario is better in your opinion and why? I know you hate the length but you can play the most Nintendo platformers really fast too.

I strongly disagree with the criticism of PlayStation references. In fact, they should build on them even more. No one criticizes Nintendo games for their mashups, as they’ve become a beloved part of what makes those games so enjoyable. PlayStation could follow suit by embracing more creative collaborations and crossovers, which could only enhance the diversity and appeal of their games.

Hugare

Which Mario is better in your opinion and why? I know you hate the length but you can play the most Nintendo platformers really fast too.

I strongly disagree with the criticism of PlayStation references. In fact, they should build on them even more. No one criticizes Nintendo games for their mashups, as they’ve become a beloved part of what makes those games so enjoyable. PlayStation could follow suit by embracing more creative collaborations and crossovers, which could only enhance the diversity and appeal of their games.
As I said, I found the whole PS stuff to be really tacky. The original designs are great and they are totally capable of supporting a whole original game by themselves. So it loses some design points with me for that.

One thing is to use Astro Bots that look like Crash and etc. Other is to have a spaceship that looks exactly like a PS5. Its tacky af, imo.

Galaxy/Galaxy 2 are very like Astro Bot in terms of game design and even power ups. And yeah, they are better than Astro, imo. Hardly a controvertial opinion, since they are considered some of the best platforms ever.

The green platform that you can summon mid air? Exactly like the cloud power up from Galaxy 2. Floating like a balloon? Power up for Yoshi in Galaxy 2. If you know these games, you can spot the similarities instantly.

But I dont mind them, they are fun mechanics. And if you gotta copy from someone, copy from the best.

PS: I hated Mario Odyssey, btw. So Im hardly what you would call a Nintendo hardcore fan

Last edited:
This guy is an idiot. He's arguing with random people now, lol.

Filthy cartoon games, yeah! Spoken like a true adult - or rather, what a 14 year old edgelord thinks an adult would say. I ignored the drama when he whined about SJWs or whatever, since the purple people overreacted as expected. But it seems that the dude's really just a dork.

Last edited:

Fabieter

As I said, I found the whole PS stuff to be really tacky. The original designs are great and they are totally capable of supporting a whole original game by themselves. So it loses some design points with me for that.

One thing is to use Astro Bots that look like Crash and etc. Other is to have a spaceship that looks exactly like a PS5. Its tacky af, imo.

Galaxy/Galaxy 2 are very like Astro Bot in terms of game design and even power ups. And yeah, they are better than Astro, imo. Hardly a controvertial opinion, since they are considered some of the best platforms ever.

The green platform that you can summon mid air? Exactly like the cloud power up from Galaxy 2. Floating like a balloon? Power up for Yoshi in Galaxy 2. If you know these games, you can spot the similarities instantly.

But I dont mind them, they are fun mechanics. And if you gotta copy from someone, copy from the best.

PS: I hated Mario Odyssey, btw. So Im hardly what you would call a Nintendo hardcore fan

It's perfectly fine not to like the references. Personally, I enjoy crossovers, and as I mentioned, people generally don't seem to have a problem with games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.doing it.

Regarding the similarities, if you consider those mechanics to be copying, that’s like saying Breath of the Wild copied Assassin's Creed because both games use towers as a gameplay feature.

That said, you mentioned that Astro Bot isn't comparable to the best. If you're specifically referring to Galaxy, then I can agree to some extent—Galaxy is a masterpiece. However, I think Astro Bot surpasses most of Nintendo’s more recent releases, and don't forget Odyssey scored a 97 on Metacritic.

Hugare

It's perfectly fine not to like the references. Personally, I enjoy crossovers, and as I mentioned, people generally don't seem to have a problem with games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.doing it.

Regarding the similarities, if you consider those mechanics to be copying, that’s like saying Breath of the Wild copied Assassin's Creed because both games use towers as a gameplay feature.

That said, you mentioned that Astro Bot isn't comparable to the best. If you're specifically referring to Galaxy, then I can agree to some extent—Galaxy is a masterpiece. However, I think Astro Bot surpasses most of Nintendo’s more recent releases, and don't forget Odyssey scored a 97 on Metacritic.
Yeah, I also think that BotW copied AC towers lol

Wont say "copy". Just saying that its not as fresh as doing it for the first time. And Mario games are usually high on MC and popular reception cause they tend to innovate often.

Yeah, I believe Astro is better than Odyssey, by far. Odyssey is one of the most overrated games of all time, imo.

I just believe that Astro could have been much better without the tacky PS stuff, but thats just my opinion, some people love it.
And tho perfectly executed, I dont see much innovation, and then again, its fine.

Dafegamer

Says it doesn't compare to Mario... By literally comparing it to the best in the series when asked for comparison
michael-scott-constipated.gif

nial

In other news... will this guy ever find peace and stop choosing to be so damn bitter?

This guy is an idiot. He's arguing with random people now, lol.

Lmao, what a fucking jerk. I will post this anytime GAF comes up to defend this guy.
"Some small game" is some shit attitude not only because Team Asobi were respectful enough to his work to reference it TWICE, but also cause people there used to be fellow PlayStation Studios staff of his.
And I'm not shitting on Days Gone because it was the project of a large team, but I'm just glad that guy doesn't work at Sony anymore.

Really can't wait to play this. Not usually a fan of platformers but Astro's Playroom was one I somewhat enjoyed. Seeing the reviews for this, I hope that this game turns out to be the one that really gets me into platformers

MistBreeze

I have finished world 3 … I had my doubts but wow …
It is so rare to see a game gets better … expands, new ideas thrown at you, clever secrets and no repetition or boredom

I’ve played all main line 3d Marios and surprisingly it is up there with the best

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This year I played LOT OF JRPG back to back and most of them were pretty long games, so I dont mind play shorter game like Astro Bot.

To me game's worth solely depend on how satisfying it is rather than how long it is.

Top Bottom