• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I broke down and picked it up earlier today. I wanted to wait for PC but decided to just go for it. I'm in the 2nd main area and its dramatically exceeded my expectations. I predicted it would be a 91, but it really is better than that. Just super polished, fun, lots of fresh ideas. What surprised me is how elaborate some of the bosses have been. 10/10 boss fights.

Its an interesting game because it clearly takes a ton from Mario but it is still its own thing. Its almost a linear spectacle platformer. None of the platforming is very demanding or complex, but every step of the way you're treated to great graphics, physics, object interaction. Just leaves blowing or other small things can really make you stop and admire. I'd almost say the #1 spectacle thing in the game is the controller audio, so it had audio spectacle too.

I could easily see this taking my GOTY pick so far, but there is also some stuff I dont like. I do think the bots are honestly a bit annoying sometimes. Its all a little too cute for my tastes. The tree singing is pretty cringe. It leans into more of a Pixar style at times rather than a Nintendo style. The cameo stuff honestly doesnt do much for me.

So far I encountered 1 truly phenomenal level
the shrinking one.
. If they can work in more like that it will push it up for me to the top spot. Great game though so far. Easily the best thing Sony has done since like Gravity Rush 1.

Last edited:
I played for an hour yesterday.

Honestly ten minutes in I could not have been more whelmed and I was kind of confused about what was supposed to be so great about it. On top of a feeling that maybe Mario does just get this free nostalgia pass in my mind. Because this felt and looked so much more like a kid ass game than Mario ever does, fair or not.

Then I got my first power up and it really clicked after that. I've done the first three levels or so. It is extremely well made, and charming. Not exactly up my alley, but a quality game I'm glad to have supported.

in celebration of PlayStation's greatness and Xbox's Ls i'll be making some t-shirts available for pre-order soon

Some teasers

ECYOEOq.jpeg
U9fImdA.jpeg
yhiGkMi.jpeg
5iYWuOb.jpeg

Last edited:

AFBT88

Neo Member
I don't think +100 million gets anyone excited in PlayStation brass. PlayStation is in the needle moving business now. This reads like a nice single for PlayStation (still a win) but the analytics say go for the long ball now.

You miss a huge difference. Everyone crapped on Concord - I tried to provide an alternative viewpoint which was rare. Everyone crowing Astrobot - I try to provide an alternative viewpoint, which is rare. It's the "One of us. One of us" vibe you should be resisting.

Also, I genuinely think this game is awful. You could hook me up to a lie detector and I'd pass it with ease. Game critics and social media don't influence me as much as many.
This game objectively can not be awful. It's not a matter of "just my opinion". It's just plain wrong.

Trilobit

You mean a studio is using all available resources for an exclusive game to be the playable on a certain platform the best way possible and you say this?

That's like saying "i wonder how Wii Sports would play on a keyboard". Making a game around the hardware available should ALWAYS be a thing for console games and that's why this is feeling like an old-school modern experience.

If anything everyone else is underusing the dual sense.

About how it would've rated without being playable in this controler...they would do something else creatively. They did that with VR, on the first Astro Bot and the game also got GOTY awards that year so yeah. This is an incredibly talented studio.

Playing Ghost of Tsushima and experiencing the amazing rumble when you gallop over rock was very immersive. Or when they made the adaptive triggers have a great resistence when you used the rope with a hook.

I really hope developers will think creatively when adding their Dualsense effects and not just throw in some boring basic stuff that could have belonged on the PS4.

Raven117

People are too obsessed over game length. It's what has led to the open-world bloat fests that nobody finishes.

Quality over quantity. It's a 94 on the critic sites right now.

Do you want filet mignon or McDonald's? A Ferrari or a Honda? 5 minutes of Gal Gaddot sucking the very soul out through your urethra or a slampig who can "go for hours"?

It's your choice.
This. I remember back in the ps3 generation days, game length was a big discussion point as a lot of the games (frankly, the era of the military shooter) were 6-8 hours long.

Companies way over compensated and with the open world collect o thon being popular, games were artificially extended and turned into slogs.

Killer8

This. I remember back in the ps3 generation days, game length was a big discussion point as a lot of the games (frankly, the era of the military shooter) were 6-8 hours long.

Companies way over compensated and with the open world collect o thon being popular, games were artificially extended and turned into slogs.

Nobody finishes them. The drop off rate for open world games after about 20 hours of play time is massive.

The developers might be proud of the huge game worlds they created, but fuck all numbers of people ever get to fully see all their hard work.

It's a complete waste of everyone's time.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well, I consider practically all VR games glorified tech-demoes, give or take a few.
I don't disagree there - but Rescue Mission was literally the first time I've seen an actual game that not only takes advantage of the medium - but revels in it to enhance the best part of its mechanics, and it did so without tech-demo masturbation that the likes of Alyx did - or just being a glorified stair-master experience that you have to wear a helmet for like Beat Saber.
Mind you - I found both of those games remarkable in their own right - but if you put the ultra critical lense you did - well...

And we can argue lengths and what not - but none of the 'full-sized' ports are even remotely interesting from taking advantage of the medium perspective (either they are literal flat-games with motion controls tacked on like Skyrim and Fallout, or they are slightly more - like RE games, but still playing it ultra safe mainly just recycling the flat-experience with a few touch-ups).

That wasn't even a jab at Astro Bot, but this doesn't look like a AAA title to me.
Here - I sort of see your point though - but I don't think for the reasons you argue.
Ie. the raw-essence of AAA productions is all about lack of restraint and over-indulgence - which indeed, DOES come across 'visually' as well, but not so much on the 'are these looking highend' and more on the - are they including everything AND the kitchen sink. Because let's face it - AAAs mostly do.

So yes - in that sense Astro Both is almost antithetical to AAA (as are most Nintendo platformers). There's a distinct lack of overindulgence that you will find in your Ubisoft or EA releases, let alone Sony or R*.
*However* - that's kind of creative interpretation of the term - the term really is supposed to be referring to size of the budgets - and just because some games flaunt it less - it doesn't mean they were actually cheap(er).

Raven117

Nobody finishes them. The drop off rate for open world games after about 20 hours of play time is massive.

The developers might be proud of the huge game worlds they created, but fuck all numbers of people ever get to fully see all their hard work.

It's a complete waste of everyone's time.
It really is. There are only a small handful of games that need (or rather, deserve) to be that big.

Most would greatly benefit from tighter experiences.

sainraja

I broke down and picked it up earlier today. I wanted to wait for PC but decided to just go for it. I'm in the 2nd main area and its dramatically exceeded my expectations. I predicted it would be a 91, but it really is better than that. Just super polished, fun, lots of fresh ideas. What surprised me is how elaborate some of the bosses have been. 10/10 boss fights.

Its an interesting game because it clearly takes a ton from Mario but it is still its own thing. Its almost a linear spectacle platformer. None of the platforming is very demanding or complex, but every step of the way you're treated to great graphics, physics, object interaction. Just leaves blowing or other small things can really make you stop and admire. I'd almost say the #1 spectacle thing in the game is the controller audio, so it had audio spectacle too.

I could easily see this taking my GOTY pick so far, but there is also some stuff I dont like. I do think the bots are honestly a bit annoying sometimes. Its all a little too cute for my tastes. The tree singing is pretty cringe. It leans into more of a Pixar style at times rather than a Nintendo style. The cameo stuff honestly doesnt do much for me.

So far I encountered 1 truly phenomenal level
the shrinking one.
. If they can work in more like that it will push it up for me to the top spot. Great game though so far. Easily the best thing Sony has done since like Gravity Rush 1.
That must have been difficult for you to write... :D

Last edited:

Unknown?

I don't know enough about game budgets to give a definitive number.

All I'm saying is that I'm skeptical this game will make waves with anyone at PlayStation making long term strategic choices.

Rift Apart sold 4 million lifetime copies.

Astrobot reads like "What if we target 4 million lifetime copies with a game that costs half as much as Rift Apart?"

That's a solid single. It's great to get on base. A sure win. But analytics today is all about home runs. Maybe it goes on to sell 10 million lifetime and becomes a double / triple. Time will tell.
That's terrible management then. If all you are counting on is home runs then you are foolish and should make way for a real leader

digdug2

It really is. There are only a small handful of games that need (or rather, deserve) to be that big.

Most would greatly benefit from tighter experiences.
That is absolutely true. There's a Jason Schreier interview with the Astro Bot director who states that one of the secrets to the game’s success was his team’s restraint when it came to scope.

Bigger is not always better, and I wish that gaming companies would realize that. Stop wasting money on feature creep and bloat, pare your games down to be the best they can be.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
People are crowning this game way too soon. We saw what all the glowing reviews did for Hi Fi Rush. Social media vibe and the real world often differ quite a bit.

Cool story bro, go back to playing Concorde. Oh wait...

The game is an instant classic, one of the greatest 3D platformers of all-time and all but guaranteed (and deserving!) of GOTY.

Quantum253

Gold Member
People are crowning this game way too soon. We saw what all the glowing reviews did for Hi Fi Rush. Social media vibe and the real world often differ quite a bit.
But in Hi-Fi rush, it was mixed with rthyem game mechanics, and some people just don't like that type of thing. Astro is way more traditional than Hi-Fi

Raven117

That is absolutely true. There's a Jason Schreier interview with the Astro Bot director who states that one of the secrets to the game’s success was his team’s restraint when it came to scope.

Bigger is not always better, and I wish that gaming companies would realize that. Stop wasting money on feature creep and bloat, pare your games down to be the best they can be.

It’s like a breath of fresh air. Tight polished and fun games…. Who would have thought? We back in 1994?

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve read a lot about how easy the games is, and it is to a point, but some of the bonus levels are damn tough. I’m trying to finish the square ones atm. I’ve also noticed that you need quite a few bots to play the boss levels too, which is refreshing (I’m not overly looking for them all on my first playthrough), so I find that I need to go back to earlier levels quite often to find more bots.

Oh, and shout out to the special levels after the bosses too - they have all (I’ve completed 3 so far) been fantastic up until now.

Even the hub area is great, with lots to explore.

6hr game for $70 ... Sony are masters at this business

The base game is selling for $60, not $70.

Also, the main target market of this game is kids. It's not an adult game like RE, Elden Ring etc. Most kids like mine like to play these games multiple times just for fun. The replayability value of this game (for kids) is high, which I believe makes it worth every penny.

For people like me who grew up playing PS1-3 exclusives, this game is a gem. It seems like a history lesson making references to so many (160+) classic characters from Metal Gear, Uncharted, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, and more. The creativity and originality of this game is second to none.

People saying that it has copied elements of Odyssey are bluffing. I've played almost every Mario game to date starting from the original Super Mario Bros on Nes, and there is zero similarity between any Mario old or new game.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Looks like a super solid GOTY contender. Day 1 if it comes to Steam. Give this studio whatever they need going forward. Finally wish I had a PS5 in the house.

Last edited:

Romulus

Played it for about 2 hours and it's legit great.

But nothing compares to the PSVR version, that still feels like a combo of a AAA game mixed with a theme park ride.

bundylove

6hr game for $70 ... Sony are masters at this business

Bullshit buddy.
I am playing it for the last 4 hours and i am only in the second world.

I see people playing through system shock in 6 hours or less and i put in 45 hours.

But anyways whats your point? That someone on youtube can show everything as he knows whats where and what to where to go in 6 hours but in reality he spent at least double if not more on his first playthrough?

No really whats the point here???

iHaunter

Yeah it should be an open world 50+ hour game minimum.

Sony could also give the development to ubisoft to make that dream happen.
Yeah... Not every game needs to be Elden Ring 100+ hours. It's nice to have a succinct $15 hour game.

twilo99

Gold Member
Bullshit buddy.
I am playing it for the last 4 hours and i am only in the second world.

I see people playing through system shock in 6 hours or less and i put in 45 hours.

But anyways whats your point? That someone on youtube can show everything as he knows whats where and what to where to go in 6 hours but in reality he spent at least double if not more on his first playthrough?

No really whats the point here???

You can take 20hrs to complete one level if you like...

The point is that different games are held to a different standard in the media and on this very forum.

bundylove

The point is that different games are held to a different standard in the media and on this very forum.
Thats just fanboy talk. Nothing else.

You could never charge me more than a dollar for any sports game. To me thats not worth it. What kind of standard would this imply?

Say what you want fanboy. But this is one of the better games to play this year.

Should i say that hellblade 2 can be beaten in 6 hours and the only reason you cant any faster is cuz half of it is pure movie cut scene and the other half takes ypu through a slow and predeterment path. What standard is this?

It’s not a six hour game unless you are speed running it and know what you’re doing and have memorized the levels

Why don’t you play it before opening your mouth?

I’m taking my time 100%ing everything and have put in around 6 hours and I’m not done with level 2 yet

Is BOTW a 1 hour game as well?

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This is my GOTY i think. Such fun, im smiling nonstop at all the playstation and gaming throwbacks....it feels great to play, great soundtrack and tons of fun!!

"What did you say your name was?"

I am Astrobot!!

Top Bottom