• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

Damn thats crazy, so the best selling titles sold by Amazon this year in the US so far

1. Astrobot
2. EA College Football
3. Super Mario Wonder
4. Star Wars Outlaws
Crazy, hope that stays true for other retailers also.

I mean that is generally the case. Amazon usually reflects what the rest are selling, depending on deals of course. Like my metric wouldn't show up for Amazon for Star Wars Outlaws cause I got it from Target cause the free Steelbook

https://www.target.com/c/video-game...1?sortBy=bestselling&moveTo=product-list-grid

but look at Target's Current top sellers, Outlaws seems to show ahead of Astrobot, but this is likely cause the free Steelbook or something or Madden 25 being at the top instead of EA College Football. So the rest of the retailers seem to be in teh ball park of Amazon with a few differences based on likely deals, extras etc.

https://www.walmart.com/shop/new-&-trending-entertainment/new-video-games

Astrobot is number 2 behind Madden 25 on Walmart

So it seems a lot of the best sellers on all the major retailers seem to be in the same ballpark.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Joe Biden Smile GIF by PBS News

After 27 pages I still do not get the hype I am afraid to ask why? Can someone enlighten me?
It’s nice to be able to play a game like this without the main character having to rescue a princess yet again whilst going ‘woo hoo’ and ‘letsa go’ all the time.

I see that extra chromosome is treating Curd Eastturd well. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
That poor man could be enjoying Astro Bot, but instead has to cope he doesn't have a fun new platformer to play on his favorite piece of plastic. This is why being so dedicated to a single brand like a religion is dumb.

Last edited:
Joe Biden Smile GIF by PBS News

After 27 pages I still do not get the hype I am afraid to ask why? Can someone enlighten me?

Its timeless/classic platforming fun. The worlds are beautiful, Astro Bots mechanics are perfectly implemented, 60fps with 1440p - 4K dynamic resolution keeps the game super responsible and the image very sharp.

If you love platformers you'll love this.

Quantum253

Gold Member
I could see a spin off Pikmin style Astro game, where the PS speciality bots have similar attacks or abilities to their genre/game, while the generic bots are the main attackers

SkylineRKR

I heard from friends they can't find a physical copy anywhere. I don't know how many were shipped, but its safe to say this game will eclipse the numbers of the VR bound Rescue Mission and likely puts this IP in the limelight.

Unknown?

I heard from friends they can't find a physical copy anywhere. I don't know how many were shipped, but its safe to say this game will eclipse the numbers of the VR bound Rescue Mission and likely puts this IP in the limelight.
None of my Walmarts have them and even GameStop only has one or two and not even every GameStop has one. Very weird.

SkylineRKR

Now imagine this game was PSVR2 only, no way it would be selling like it does now. And this was pretty much the PSVR posterboy.

I am actually glad its the way it is.

Last edited:

nowhat

You think Sony lets Team Asobi go for a Kart Racer or Smash Bros like now after this game?
According to the FPS interview (I posted a link to it in the OT if you're interested) I got the impression that they're first taking some deserved time off, then work a bit on post-launch DLC (time challenges, more challenge stages), but their next project could be basically anything, not necessarily Astro-related. And that Sony wasn't dictating the direction for the studio to take.

You think Sony lets Team Asobi go for a Kart Racer or Smash Bros like now after this game?

God i hope not, what a way to kill a studios creativity, make a mario kart clone.

It's not even a good game objectively anymore, who want's a Kart Racer? go play Disney Speedstorm or you know Mario Kart.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
I'm a little surprised there's been no early sales data from Sony or any of their approved publications.

Perhaps we'll know how well it did at the end of the month?

Mownoc

I'm a little surprised there's been no early sales data from Sony or any of their approved publications.

Perhaps we'll know how well it did at the end of the month?
It took 3 months for Sony to announce numbers for Helldivers 2 and that was their fastest selling game of all time lol. We may hear numbers very soon, we might not. Hopefully we find out when their quarterly fiscal reports come out even if they don't do PR.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Earlier today I platinum’d Astro Bot. It was a great ride and I’m kinda bummed it’s over. I loved the boss battles, fun abilities, lush graphics, fluid gameplay, and I really felt a sense of accomplishment when persevering through some of the challenge runs … like Splashy Sprint and of course the Master Challenge.

Not sure if this is a spoiler but it’s a shame Square wanted licensing fees for FF and Kingdom Hearts characters. Sora and Cloud’s omission from the game was sadly felt.

Regardless, Astro Bot is a classic and my current GOTY.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Gold Member
I'm about 70% done with the game I think (trying to take my time and my kids keep begging to play). I really love this game... it's everything I want out of a platformer like this. Also, it's amazing how much my three young boys want to play this game. I have Switch, Xbox, PS5, etc and play Nintendo games all the time with them showing minimal interest. With Astrobot they are like a fucking magnet to this game. They were like that with the Playroom as well. Sony has something big here.

SantaBanana

Neo Member
I'm about 70% done with the game I think (trying to take my time and my kids keep begging to play). I really love this game... it's everything I want out of a platformer like this. Also, it's amazing how much my three young boys want to play this game. I have Switch, Xbox, PS5, etc and play Nintendo games all the time with them showing minimal interest. With Astrobot they are like a fucking magnet to this game. They were like that with the Playroom as well. Sony has something big here.
We have the switch and besides Mario kart, my son barely ever asks me to play. He's always playing fortnite on PS5 but he keeps playing astro bot since I got it this weekend. It is indeed quite something they have there

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is goty for me. I'm two galaxies in and if it manages to keep it up it could be a top 10 games of all time for me.

My only complaint is astro bots movement is a little weak compared to the likes of a mario but everything else matches and even exceeds the absolute top tier Mario levels.

No hyperbole. This game is incredible!

Copying from other thread! My thoughts after a few hours with the game.

nicoGec

A 10 from Jimquisition

It may reach 95 on MC if Edge is a 10

Last edited:

Dafegamer

A 10 from Jimquisition

Which would make it the highest rated PlayStation exclusive since the Original TLOU for PS3, damn. I still can't wrap my head around how it managed to outscore GOW and TLOU2, Game is a masterpiece but Wow I'm legit mind blown. All gameplay first too 😦

Dafegamer

A 10 from Jimquisition

Which would make it the highest rated PlayStation exclusive since the Original TLOU for PS3, damn. I still can't wrap my head around how it managed to outscore GOW and TLOU2, Game is a masterpiece but Wow I'm legit mind blown. All gameplay first too 😦

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
A 10 from Jimquisition

As inherently masturbatory a festival of nostalgia as it is, Sony’s answer to those requests is a more than worthy one. Astro Bot is adorable, it’s gorgeous, and as well as providing fantastic entertainment it’s also an autistic delight.

Chris Pratt What GIF

nial

A 10 from Jimquisition

Does anyone know when the Edge thing gets dropped?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Game was fun.
The button challenges not so much.
Not hard just annoying as fuck
I disagree, I found them really fun and after you die you immediately respawn which makes retrying very smooth.

Some of the Kirby Forgotten Land challenges way more annoying…..you could be doing perfect run but if you missed the target time even by one digit you have to redo it again.

jm89

A 10 from Jimquisition

Yeah I think it's getting close to 95. Alot of 100s coming towards the tail end.

Edge has higher weighting then other review outlets afaik, so could tip it towards 95.

Top Bottom