• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot's Soulless Devotion To The Sony Brand Is A Real Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Its a really impressive game. Been slowly going through it still. I dont think cameos are a problem. I just think a lot of how its done in Astro Bot is pretty lame. Its basically Funko Pop meets Fortnite, just the most mainstream conglomeration of IP imaginable. Luckily the team behind it is brilliant. But I wouldnt be sad to see them doing something else without flying PS controllers and PS coins and a giant PS5 ship surrounded by 3rd party Funko Pops. Whatever they do next had the potential to be much better if they nail a better IP. Still undoubtedly a top tier game though, like getting that Burger King game a couple gens ago but it was made by genius game designers.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Astro Bot, in its panoramic brand reverence, unintentionally acts as a reminder of a time when Sony was known for taking risks.

fLWMxbI.png

Killjoy-NL

Couldn't give a shit about Astro Bot, but this article is beyond retarded.

Also, Astro isn't soulless and ought to be Sony's mascot going forward.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I laughed how they made fun of Uncharted like its a shooting gallery and how Aloy always looks mad.

BlackTron

I kinda ever so slightly agree I detected this myself but only like .0001% that Kotaku did. The fact that all the franchises are dead and they're in this pearly white, indeed -robotic product that siphons off their memories -like a machine. A...a Sony machine!

It's not really a mark against the game, just perhaps a tone that I prefer 1% less than another platformers, nothing that would halt my desire to grab PS5 to play the game or make me want to write an article. A tiny speck of truth multiplied x over 9000

Robb

Gold Member
giphy-74.gif

I get that some people may not vibe with it, but this is like complaining Smash Bros. is nothing but ‘soulless devotion’ to Nintendo’s brand..

The game seems to be freaking amazing so it’s hardly a problem. If anything they should keep going in this direction and make even more amazing games. They obviously know their stuff.

Last edited:

Fahdis

So its only ok when the Red Tapeworms do it? Fuck off Kotaku. Astro is now the mascot for the Blue Pidgeons and he's cute af.

Dafegamer

Kotaku link - If you aren't happy clicking them

It's definitely something that some noticed. It's stand out levels were based off of God of War and Ape Escape after all, but that was the point of it, it was a shameless celebration of Sony with some cribbing of Nintendo.

A sterile robot was never going to have the charm of something exciting and well designed like Kirby but I'm not sure it needed a hit piece written about how it's little more than an advert of a glorious past that has long since vanished
=>Sterile Robot
=>exciting like Kirby

Pick a lie 🙄, at least bring up Yoshi for the obvious click bait article approval

Alan Wake

Well, we've noticed it's full of love for the PlayStation brand. And it's a PlayStation exclusive so... I don't see the big issue here. Especially since it's a 10/10 game. But I can also wish that Astro is made to stand on his own legs in the future. A hero with his own antagonist just like Sonic and Mario. They could still have some levels inspired by the history of PlayStation.

damidu

feels like some were sharpening the pitchforks for this game, and after universal acclaim this is the only stupid angle they are left with

Over the past few years I've gotten pretty good at being able to quickly intuit whether a piece of media is real or fake
god! eyes rolling one perfect tour. someone please put this clickbait factory out of its misery

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nostalgia is one hell of a drug, everyone likes that and imo if done right there's nothing wrong with it.

It's basically the same thing Smash Bros has been doing for quite some time now.

Mayar

I wanted to write something bad. Then I saw that the authors of the article were Kotaku and I immediately lost my desire. God deprived them of brains from birth, my parents taught me that you can't offend sick people...

SweetTooth

Gold Member
"I’d played—and enjoyed—the game’s predecessor, Astro’s Playroom, an hour-long pack-in PS5 title that existed mostly to explain why DualSense controllers cost 70 dollars"

I laughed so hard at this nonsense 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom