• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot's Soulless Devotion To The Sony Brand Is A Real Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nydius

I don’t see any of Nintendo’s characters doing The Carlton and getting all their fellow NPCs to join in.

Suck it, Kotaku!

Alfonso Ribeiro Dancing GIF

Sounds like disgruntled ex-playstation fans who are still salty that the system evolved over the years with new IPs and gameplay that isn't focused on the (often less successful) weird Japanese stuff anymore who are also unable to appreciate the irony of whining about the celebration of older stuff is a partial graveyard for a reason.

Kacho

Sounds like disgruntled ex-playstation fans who are still salty that the system evolved over the years with new IPs and gameplay that isn't focused on the (often less successful) weird Japanese stuff anymore who are also unable to appreciate the irony of whining about the celebration of older stuff is a partial graveyard for a reason.
What do you think K K' Dash , is this an accurate assessment?

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Jesus Christ. Prime example here of why games journalism is entirely unnecessary at this point in time.

peek

LOL, okay now im 100% convinced those guys at kotaku just purposely write articles celebrating the opposite of what the general wide audience likes OR dislikes...

If its hated by the masses, kotaku must come in and defend it and say its amazing.

If its loved by the masses, its garbage and youre a dumbass for liking it.

blacktout

Super smash Bros sounds devotion to Nintendo is a real issue and it will never achieve mainstream success

Came here to say this. People love the way Smash celebrates Nintendo's legacy, and rightly so. Why shouldn't Sony have a franchise that serves the same purpose? At least this one isn't a half-assed Smash rip-off like Sony Allstars was.

Sony has a rich past that many people feel deep affection and nostalgia for. I would rather that they lean into that than chase GaaS dollars down the toilet.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
This is such a brain-dead take. Astro Bot celebrates the 30th anniversary of PlayStation in the actual game. Of course it's going to reference the many games and franchises that have been big on PlayStation throughout the generation - it's a celebration of those games.

I don't know about anyone else, but Astro Bot definitely reminded me of some of the gems I'd forgotten about from previous generations, which led me to go back and pick them up again. And they're still just as fun today as they were back then. Only an utterly joyless taint would view this game as "soulless" and "depressing."

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
it's a celebration of those games.
This is literally just a phrase giant, soulless corporations use to hauk merchandise.

Apple does this when they want you to buy the new thing that works 1% better than the old thing. McDonalds does this when they do their Monopoly gimmick. Ford does this when they're trying to upsell customers on the more expensive model. Paul Newman drove the ZR1 in 72. Wasn't that a beautiful time in your life? What's another $8,000 in the grand scheme?

Don't you want to belong to a rich warm culture of joy and happiness? Then open your ***damn wallet peasant."

Nydius

This is literally just a phrase giant, soulless corporations use to hauk merchandise.
Says the guy who endlessly shills for soulless GaaS trash made by these same corporations. I’ll take a trip down nostalgia lane over any of the trash games you keep hyping up like the second coming of Christ.

Or are you applying to be a writer for Kotaku because, based on your posting history, you’d be a shoe-in.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Apple does this when they want you to buy the new thing that works 1% better than the old thing. McDonalds does this when they do their Monopoly gimmick. Ford does this when they're trying to upsell customers on the more expensive model. Paul Newman drove the ZR1 in 72. Wasn't that a beautiful time in your life? What's another $8,000 in the grand scheme?

Don't you want to belong to a rich warm culture of joy and happiness? Then open your ***damn wallet peasant."
It's not "a phrase," they aren't even calling it that in marketing, it's what the thing actually is. And what is being "upsold" in a game that's $10 cheaper than regular MSRP PS5 games at launch? Not following your logic.

Klayzer

Says the guy who endlessly shills for soulless GaaS trash made by these same corporations. I’ll take a trip down nostalgia lane over any of the trash games you keep hyping up like the second coming of Christ.

Or are you applying to be a writer for Kotaku because, based on your posting history, you’d be a shoe-in.
I typically ignore his topics, it's the same shit repackaged with more shit on top.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's not "a phrase," they aren't even calling it that in marketing, it's what the thing actually is. And what is being "upsold" in a game that's $10 cheaper than regular MSRP PS5 games at launch? Not following your logic.
You're engaging with my argument because you suspect there may be truth to it.

bundylove

Kotaku link - If you aren't happy clicking them

It's definitely something that some noticed. It's stand out levels were based off of God of War and Ape Escape after all, but that was the point of it, it was a shameless celebration of Sony with some cribbing of Nintendo.

A sterile robot was never going to have the charm of something exciting and well designed like Kirby but I'm not sure it needed a hit piece written about how it's little more than an advert of a glorious past that has long since vanished
How bout you shut the fuck up and actually play the game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Settle down, I'm engaging with you because you responded to me. You still haven't answered my question.

Where is the "upselling" in a game that's cheaper than the standard price at launch?
It leverages nostalgia for sales. It's a cheap trick.

Remember when you were 14 years old and played Days Gone until 1:00am in the morning? Here's a Deacon Funco Pop character who does a silly animation when you go up to him. Rich history my @$$.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It leverages nostalgia for sales. It's a cheap trick.

Remember when you were 14 years old and played Days Gone until 1:00am in the morning? Here's a Deacon Funco Pop character who does a silly animation when you go up to him. Rich history my @$$.
So you're using terminology that you don't understand in a way that doesn't make sense. Got it.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
How bout you shut the fuck up and actually play the game.
Seriously, I wouldn't even consider the GoW level a "stand-out level." It's the same quality as the rest, which is admittedly great, but there are dozens of great levels in the game. The Ape Escape one was different because the gameplay was like Ape Escape, which was a nice surprise.

Last edited:

bundylove

Seriously, I wouldn't even consider the GoW level a "stand-out level." It's the same quality as the rest, which is admittedly great, but there are dozens of great levels in the game. The Ape Escape one was different because the gameplay was like Ape Escape, which was a nice surprise.
Hence my point. The game has a lot more to offer then these add on levels for nostalgia

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
We really need to stop posting and make it ban worthy to give traffic to Kotaku.

They don’t write a single thing anymore or if ever, that isn’t just troll bait.

They get places like our site to already give them 4 pages of discussion on what was clearly made to just bring out ragers. They want the negative attention.

Stop feeding them any and they’ll be dead within 60 days.

Nydius

Some of the most 'stand-out' levels for me were the spooky ones where you have to use the light bulb to highlight your path forward. As much as I enjoyed the Uncharted and God of War levels, I knew what they were going to be. The Loco Roco themed one was probably my favorite, Ape Escape being a close second, for authenticity to the source.

Last edited:

K' Dash

What do you think K K' Dash , is this an accurate assessment?

The question has two subjects:

1. I hate what modern PlayStation has become, leadership decided that Concord would lead the new era of PS Games, that’s the only argument I need. Yes, I love and prefer PS2/ late PS3/PS4, over what we have now, who doesn’t?

2. How many times can Astrobot be about PS products/IPs without getting boring? I think the IP has potential, but they need to change course for the next game.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Yeah with these comments of yours we can see your agenda.

Is instigation with thes articles count as console warring?

Would ask a mod
The thread has been up all day without any comments from them towards me, it was going fine until you started swearing and calling people cunts because they don't exclusively play on PlayStations.

My history of posts mention negative and positive things towards games and consoles from various game companies. I'm sorry that you have been made upset by my posts, I'll try to take your delicate sensibilities into account when reading and posting articles from around the internet.

hinch7

Given your angrily written console warring missive a few posts back, maybe you should leave the mods out of it.

You might not like their response.

Yet you had the time to write a expletive filled post shitting on PC users, Nintendo users, and Xbox users...

Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette
Reads like something KingThrash would say. Maybe some alt or parody account idk.

Last edited:

bundylove

The thread has been up all day without any comments from them towards me, it was going fine until you started swearing and calling people cunts because they don't exclusively play on PlayStations.

My history of posts mention negative and positive things towards games and consoles from various game companies. I'm sorry that you have been made upset by my posts, I'll try to take your delicate sensibilities into account when reading and posting articles from around the internet.
I just got to read your nonesense

JimboJones

Kinda fed up with all these pc and nintendo cunts.

Pc cunts coming into every ps5 and ps5 pro thread jerking off to how awesome pc is , its not fuck off and then you have these nintendo retards who play thr same ahit games the lasr 40 years with zero innovation on a garbage hardware shitting on asrtobot saying its all a mario rip off like where the fuck were you when astros playroom came out??

You pc shills and nintendo retards can get together and suck eachother off.

Nintendo ripps you off with a 400 ass old hardware but noone says anything.
Pc cunts spend thousand every year on their rig just to play the same games everyine else plays but oh wow its 4k 200 fps fuck off.
Xbox fucked all of you and your console is trashcan worth with more and more games not coming out on it or your games go full multiplatform but you still suck xboxes dick.

I said it befor i say again and will atand by it.
I refuse to invest into any of those ecosystems just based on those users mindset.

I am a ps fan since psone days and always will be for the reason that ps users are actually real gamers that play games and dont have time to ahit on everything else.

We dont give a fuck about anything else other than games and here we actually plau games and pay for them. Not this gamepass ahit and what else.

Grow the fuck up and realize , without playstation the gaming industry would be nowhere near where its at.
Ah c'mon don't be like that, you act like there is no PS cunts around here giving Nintendo users and PC users a hard time for simply enjoying their platforms of choice.😅

Three

Its a really impressive game. Been slowly going through it still. I dont think cameos are a problem. I just think a lot of how its done in Astro Bot is pretty lame. Its basically Funko Pop meets Fortnite, just the most mainstream conglomeration of IP imaginable. Luckily the team behind it is brilliant.
This is contradictory I believe. They cannot be "dead IP" and" the most mainstream IPs" like Fortnite uses. Kat, Parapa the rapper, and most of the IPs in it are anything but mainstream hence why they're not ongoing IPs. I think to both complain about those showing the "risky games of the past they no longer do" and it being "most mainstream conglomeratation of IPs" cannot both be true at the same time.
But I wouldnt be sad to see them doing something else without flying PS controllers and PS coins and a giant PS5 ship surrounded by 3rd party Funko Pops. Whatever they do next had the potential to be much better if they nail a better IP. Still undoubtedly a top tier game though, like getting that Burger King game a couple gens ago but it was made by genius game designers.
I get that you don't like the fact that it is PS centric but the IP is fine.

SenkiDala

Well the person who wrote this exagerate a lot. BUT I agree that Astro seems "blank" its universe don't have any identity. As a gaming history fan this is SO FUN to go through the game and discover all the references that the game includes.

But yeah Astro is blank, the characters the design of the enemies, the hero and the environment... Everything is soulless. For me the game reeks of "demo", a small homage game, without any scope or personality of its own.

I thought so when I finished the VR game, when I finished the free game on PS5 and finally the last one too. It's super fun to play, we have a great time, but yeah, no personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom