• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot's Soulless Devotion To The Sony Brand Is A Real Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabieter

I don't see a problem in crossover. It's the reason i like smash and Mario kart. It's a non issue if the gameplay is good.

StueyDuck

Nah, if you look deeper, most of these weird/controversial/braindead takes are 99% from Kotaku, so yeah...
Oh, Kotaku is ground zero for most of it for sure.

but they are all bunk these days, I don't follow/read/watch any gaming outlet anymore because they are all shit now. In my opinion, they've never been real journalists, but at least back in the day, people just wanted to talk about the game itself.

Dafegamer

Oh, Kotaku is ground zero for most of it for sure.

but they are all bunk these days, I don't follow/read/watch any gaming outlet anymore because they are all shit now. In my opinion, they've never been real journalists, but at least back in the day, people just wanted to talk about the game itself.
It's probably worse on Twitter actually, but it's usually from individual Journalists, not necessarily from GameSites

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Why didn’t they say this about Mario Kart and Smash?
Youtube Evil Smile GIF by Best.Cover.Ever

Arachnid

Lmfao. No one said that about Smash. It just celebrates a history of successful games. No way you didn't smile seeing the Hunter and Maria from Bloodborne

ReBurn

Gold Member
I believe the Kotaku writer is way overthinking it. It's no surprise considering how much he fellates himself in the same article.

Over the past few years I’ve gotten pretty good at being able to quickly intuit whether a piece of media is real or fake. Anyone can hone this skill and I enthusiastically recommend doing so. For example: I have not yet seen Cloud, the new feature directed and written by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Kurosawa is a more spatially proficient filmmaker than about 95 percent of his contemporaries, and even just watching the trailer, it’s abundantly clear: this is a real movie. I also have not seen Piece by Piece, an upcoming documentary about Pharrell Williams where everything is made out of Legos. And yet, beyond a shadow of a doubt: fake movie.
"(I'm an expert)" for sure.

Astro Bot is meant to be PlayStation fan service and it's full of that on top of being a great video game.

Alebrije

Kotaku = click bait.

Do not know how Much money are needed to keep afloat that place but it seems not much. If they can keep the bussiness with just click bait articles good for them. The problem are not them but the people that fall on their click bait behavior.

Hookshot

Gold Member
It's fine if you want to, but it is kind of disengenuous to pick an Astro Bot frame where his face is a line. It doesn't look like that in the game.
They are just images from google. Astro bot's was the first, Kirby's is further down because it wouldn't let me upload the first.

Gojiira

Cool then how come Nintendo doesn’t get this same scrutiny with the number of celebratory, self referencing games? If Smash Bros which is a good game but is nothing but a Nintendo celebration gets a free pass, then why is Astrobot which is a good game and character but a celebration of Playstation any different?
Yeah fuck off Kotaku.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’m convinced they try and find angles that will offend people for clicks. I’m probably one of the biggest Nintendo fans and while I can clearly see the Mario Galaxy Series comparisons the game clearly goes toe to toe with Nintendo. Astrobots animations are is so endearing that I forgot I was an alpha male. The levels from different games keep it fresh and appealing.

One of the best platform games I’ve played in years and every reason for them to continue the series.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It is a nostalgia trip. And people like that.
To be fair, I never had a PlayStation growing up—I was absolutely a Nintendo fanboy—so I have almost no nostalgia for the stuff in Astro Bot. And it’s still, easily, my game of the year, and maybe even my favorite Sony game ever.

God that game is so good.

Trilobit

lZXehjP.png

Did the director for Days Gone write this under a pseudonym?

I personally think it's refreshing that Sony is finally paying attention to their vast wealth of older and amazing exclusives. And I hope it means that we'll get sequels of Ape Escape etc.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

Really? Have you played the game?

No, but I'm just talking about the aesthetic and branding from a marketing standpoint.

From what I've seen, it lacks a bit of character. It could easily mistaken for something like Wall-E and the name 'Astrobot' is also, relatively unoriginal.

I don't agree with sentiment that it's pandering to Sony though.

Last edited:

Fess

It is a nostalgia trip. And people like that.
Yeah. Don’t overthink it, just enjoy. And if you’re too young to sense any nostalgia from this then too bad go be nostalgic over GTAV or whatever instead. For me it’s the best Playstation 1st party game, like ever I think. What else could top it today?
Only thing I don’t like is the length, I’m concerned that I might finish it soon, I don’t want to 😞

Interfectum

Yeah. Don’t overthink it, just enjoy. And if you’re too young to sense any nostalgia from this then too bad go be nostalgic over GTAV or whatever instead. For me it’s the best Playstation 1st party game, like ever I think. What else could top it today?
Only thing I don’t like is the length, I’m concerned that I might finish it soon, I don’t want to 😞
Go for the Platinum. Will stretch it out a bit.

Fess

Go for the Platinum. Will stretch it out a bit.
I’ve cleared everything 100% before moving on so far, only playing it when the kids are watching too, means a couple hours per week, stretching as much as I can, don’t want it to end 😕

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom