• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist Of Arland |OT| Now With Dual Audio

cpooi

this game runs worse than Totori Plus

great accomplishment

Totori Plus runs ok once you swap out of default costume. I can only assume that the translucent skirt ate up too much memory bandwidth.

BTW, is there any way to delete save files in Totori+? I kinda made too many.

Falk

that puzzling face
Gust hasn't ever really seemed to care about maintaining a stable framerate. The games go anywhere between 60 and 15 and judder-hell in the space of seconds in the same scene for no apparent reason.

Translucent skirts > good framerate. Glad to see they have their priorities straight unlike western devs.

So, is the story a focus in this game, or is it mostly about crafting items?

I was intrigued by a review that praised the somewhat grim setting. That it was apparently inspired by the 2011 tsunami caught my eye in particular.

However, ever since seeing that review, I have been unable to find many second opinions verifying the quality of the story in this game. All I've come across have been various statements praising (or denouncing) the crafting system or combat. As I understand it, the combat is a lower priority than in most JRPGs, how does this work exactly.

Basically, I was interested in this game, checked out some early reviews that raised my confidence in it, came across some more divisive opinions, and now I am left uncertain if I'd like the game. I guess my absolute musts are:

Decent exploration element (if the only areas to fight monsters are repeated too often I may lose interest.
Good combat (doesn't have to be revolutionary, just something that doesn't bore, you know?).
Good character development (I've heard the main character remains pretty the same for most of the game, is this true? Is it true for the other characters?)
Party dynamic (Party members don't have to be permanent, but frequent interaction keeps things interesting.)
Some quests other than crafting (I bet the crafting is actually a pretty good system to customize the way the player handles things, but if every quest in the game is simply a request for "item X", then It'd be disappointing to say the least.)

This game seems interesting and initially I was ready to jump in based on faith in NeoGAF's taste. But after some double checking, I was slightly dissappointed that this game may not be right for me. So I thought I'd ask for some advice, so I can plan my spending in the PSN Anniversary sale before I do or do not get this game.

For the record, JRPGs I've played include:

Tales of series.
Golden Sun series.
Persona series.
Xenoblade.

And probably half a dozen more I can't think of off the top of my head. Point is, I still have yet to really get acquainted with big names like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, for example.

I was intrigued by a review that praised the somewhat grim setting. That it was apparently inspired by the 2011 tsunami caught my eye in particular.

However, ever since seeing that review, I have been unable to find many second opinions verifying the quality of the story in this game. All I've come across have been various statements praising (or denouncing) the crafting system or combat. As I understand it, the combat is a lower priority than in most JRPGs, how does this work exactly.

Basically, I was interested in this game, checked out some early reviews that raised my confidence in it, came across some more divisive opinions, and now I am left uncertain if I'd like the game. I guess my absolute musts are:

Ayesha is the most story focused of the PS3 Atelier games. It has a pretty strong narrative pushing things along compared to most of this series, it's actually one of the things I like about it.

Ayesha is the most story focused of the PS3 Atelier games. It has a pretty strong narrative pushing things along compared to most of this series, it's actually one of the things I like about it.

Cool, it seems like the narrative simply being "keep your shop in business" like I here it is in some earlier games might be a little bit too "Harvest Moon" for me.

How are the other aspects?

Cool, it seems like the narrative simply being "keep your shop in business" like I here it is in some earlier games might be a little bit too "Harvest Moon" for me.

How are the other aspects?

If I may contribute, I'd say that it's the Atelier game with the best music as well. I also loved the gloomy almost melancholy aesthetic it has going.

got me there. not a single crash so far.

framerate is the worst out of the Plus ports though

Ha, that doesn't surprise me. The English launch trailer had plenty of scenes with clearly-chugging framerate, so I thought it didn't bode too well.

Wonder how Escha Plus will do.

Decent exploration element (if the only areas to fight monsters are repeated too often I may lose interest.
Good combat (doesn't have to be revolutionary, just something that doesn't bore, you know?).
Good character development (I've heard the main character remains pretty the same for most of the game, is this true? Is it true for the other characters?)
Party dynamic (Party members don't have to be permanent, but frequent interaction keeps things interesting.)
Some quests other than crafting (I bet the crafting is actually a pretty good system to customize the way the player handles things, but if every quest in the game is simply a request for "item X", then It'd be disappointing to say the least.)

This game seems interesting and initially I was ready to jump in based on faith in NeoGAF's taste. But after some double checking, I was slightly dissappointed that this game may not be right for me. So I thought I'd ask for some advice, so I can plan my spending in the PSN Anniversary sale before I do or do not get this game.

I'm currently in my first play so i could just be doing it all wrong but the setting and world has not struck me as particularly grim so far, neither has the game struck me as particularly story focused, nor has the game been very creating focused compared to previous games I've played.

So far, i have a general goal with no clearly defined paths of progression, a handful of characters that i bump into randomly and the option to perform alchemy to fulfill requests and get money when i need it. I've done more combat and gathering than anything else, to be honest. There do seem to be a pretty good variety of areas to do this is, but i don't think the environments are particularly stand out.

It is fun, but it didn't seem very focused and that can be stressful for me personally because i know I'm racing against a clock but i don't know what to do.

Durante

I just looked up some Vita screenshots and it seems like it's native res with AA. Gust is reliable.

Is there an easy way to tell? I have it open next to me. Assume I'm blind and will never be able to tell just by looking at the visuals.
For me, it's just "does it look fugly?". If that doesn't apply it's harder to explain ;)

Jisgsaw

Tales of series.
Golden Sun series.
Persona series.
Xenoblade.

And probably half a dozen more I can't think of off the top of my head. Point is, I still have yet to really get acquainted with big names like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, for example.

Well, to sum up what you do in an Atelier game (PS3 games at least):
- You search the map for ingredients
- you kill ennemies for ingredients
- With all that, you make alchemy, trying to make the best possible bombs/armor/whatever
- Thus you can unlock new areas, complete requests, and be stronger for the new areas
- In between you have chats with party members (this being incredibly hard to track/unlock in the Arland trilogy, as everything is date dependant, but became much much easier in Dust trilogy).

So I guess you could imagine a gameplay repartition a bit like Persona: you have maps with ennemies you can beat (and harvest points), and on the other side, you have the live in town where you do alchemy, and sometimes meet up with party members.

But really, Ateliers are like no other jRPGs. The focus solely lies in the alchemy and the planing of it (everything takes time); the story and character interactions are really mostly breahters.

terrisus

Just got a Vita last week, and this is the first upcoming game that caught my interest.
Will definitely be getting this.

Merun

It is fun, but it didn't seem very focused and that can be stressful for me personally because i know I'm racing against a clock but i don't know what to do.

Take it easy. Dusk trilogy is really lenient on their clock. Just keep on exploring and crafting, and the story will unfold by itself. You will reach your goal by the end of the 3 years ( I reached it after 2 years ), unless you made a massive screw up like sleeping for months.

ohlawd

On the store it just shows a more expensive special edition available for purchase, with the regular one next month.
Or am I missing something?

iamalreadydead.jpg

no, the game is 40 bucks. first month is the game plus free costumes for the weirdos. next month is just the game, still same price

yehurdead.jpg

terrisus

no, the game is 40 bucks. first month is the game plus free costumes for the weirdos. next month is just the game, still same price

yehurdead.jpg

Oh, the version that releases next month is the same price?
Bah, thought it would be a less expensive version.

Part of me is tempted to pick this up now and update my Vita so I can play it... Part of me is tempted to just say screw it to the extras, wait it out till the golden week sale and hope it's discounted then like Totori and Meruru were last year.

Tough tough call... especially since I still haven't beaten Meruru or Rorona (and haven't bought Rorona plus yet).

Falk

that puzzling face
Tough tough call... especially since I still haven't beaten Meruru or Rorona (and haven't bought Rorona plus yet).

Welp. Rorona Plus changes so much for the better it really should have been called something more than "Plus".

it was New Atelier Rorona in Japan, but KT called it plus over here for some dumb reason

Probably to keep it with the same naming scheme. I know I almost didn't buy Totori and Meruru because of playing the original Rorona and being pretty disappointed... but I really wanted a bunch of jrpgs for when I repurchased a Vita (I bought P4G a few days before from the golden sale before my vita arrived, then I bought both Atelier games and Ys as well).

A little disappointed that Rorona+ hasn't been on sale stateside that I've seen for me to give it another chance.

Anyone know how long the sale of the special edition is going to go on for? (edit) For Ayesha that is. (edit 2) Guessing Feb 10th since that's when the normal version releases.

But really, Ateliers are like no other jRPGs. The focus solely lies in the alchemy and the planing of it (everything takes time); the story and character interactions are really mostly breathers.

How big are the areas? Do they have hidden areas you can return to after a while, like Metroid games? What I mean is, are there parts of areas that you can only enter after crafting a particular item that lets you proceed, or are the areas mostly static?

What is the main draw of the game? Simply the crafting?

Also, this is a little random, but how does the game compare to Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth?

Vylash

How big are the areas? Do they have hidden areas you can return to after a while, like Metroid games? What I mean is, are there parts of areas that you can only enter after crafting a particular item that lets you proceed, or are the areas mostly static?

What is the main draw of the game? Simply the crafting?

Also, this is a little random, but how does the game compare to Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth?

they're fairly small but there's a bunch of them, and no

the main draw is fun characters (not in Ayesha tho) and a really deep and addictive alchemy system (also not in Ayesha) and strategically managing your time

and it's way better than Neptunia, I love Neptunia but it's not even a contest, Atelier's gameplay is the main selling point while it's kind of an afterthought in Neptunia

Steel

Banned
I don't know why I'm going into another atelier after mildly disliking most of what was in Totori, but for some weird reason I feel like I need to play this game.

I mean, I guess I found the crafting interesting? And I respect the game for what it is even if I didn't love it.

In either case, I'm wondering how this compares to Totori? I'd be OK if it's about the same(oddly enough?) but is it much better?

Edit: Looking at the post above mine, I'm getting the imrpession that this might be significantly worse than Totori? Have I made a mistake?

Vylash

I don't know why I'm going into another atelier after mildly disliking most of what was in Totori, but for some weird reason I feel like I need to play this game.

I mean, I guess I found the crafting interesting? And I respect the game for what it is even if I didn't love it.

In either case, I'm wondering how this compares to Totori? I'd be OK if it's about the same(oddly enough?) but is it much better?

Edit: Looking at the post above mine, I'm getting the imrpession that this might be significantly worse than Totori? Have I made a mistake?

i'll put it like this, everything that people liked about Totori and the Arland trilogy in general is gone in Ayesha, but if you weren't a big fan of Totori then that might be a really good thing

they're fairly small but there's a bunch of them, and no

the main draw is fun characters (not in Ayesha tho) and a really deep and addictive alchemy system (also not in Ayesha) and strategically managing your time

and it's way better than Neptunia, I love Neptunia but it's not even a contest, Atelier's gameplay is the main selling point while it's kind of an afterthought in Neptunia

i'll put it like this, everything that people liked about Totori and the Arland trilogy in general is gone in Ayesha, but if you weren't a big fan of Totori then that might be a really good thing

Too bad to hear repeat visits are without new sections. At least there is more than just a few of the areas.

Also, if the characters and alchemy are way better in other games, how so? Should I just get one of the Arland trilogy?

Vylash

Too bad to hear repeat visits are without new sections. At least there is more than just a few of the areas.

Also, if the characters and alchemy are way better in other games, how so? Should I just get one of the Arland trilogy?

basically it's like this

Arland = focus on characters and the interactions between them + a lighthearted and carefree world at the expense of it's story (though Totori still has a pretty good story)

Dusk = a more story driven focus + a more dismal world and atmosphere at the expense of it's characters

they tried to strike a good balance between everything but i don't think they really got there until Escha, probably because they have to crank these things out yearly

Jisgsaw

In very rare cases, the areas expand a little, but that's more the exception.

The alchemy is the main focus of the gameplay, that's why it's better than in most (any?) other game. Except Ayesha, were they simplify it a bit too much. But you realy have to play it to understand, there's no good way to explain it through texts.

Concerning characters: the story being a bit in the background, they can focus on character interactions, what makes them a bit more interesting than the story-tool a lot of characters usually are. If you watch animes, think about it like this: Atelier is a Slice of Life type anime, whereas any other jRPG is more a shonen/epic anime.

Ayesha is for me (and a lot of Atelier fan) the weakest entry in the series (on PS3). Escha improved on it in every way though, and stands as my personal favorite Atelier (and would be my favorite Gust game if not for Mana Khemia 2).

In very rare cases, the areas expand a little, but that's more the exception.

The alchemy is the main focus of the gameplay, that's why it's better than in most (any?) other game. Except Ayesha, were they simplify it a bit too much. But you realy have to play it to understand, there's no good way to explain it through texts.

Concerning characters: the story being a bit in the background, they can focus on character interactions, what makes them a bit more interesting than the story-tool a lot of characters usually are. If you watch animes, think about it like this: Atelier is a Slice of Life type anime, whereas any other jRPG is more a shonen/epic anime.

Ayesha is for me (and a lot of Atelier fan) the weakest entry in the series (on PS3). Escha improved on it in every way though, and stands as my personal favorite Atelier (and would be my favorite Gust game if not for Mana Khemia 2).

So, as a newcomer, should I start with Totori (sounds like it's the best of the "complex alchemy style"), Ayesha Plus, or Escha & Logy Plus?

Jisgsaw

So, as a newcomer, should I start with Totori (sounds like it's the best of the "complex alchemy style"), Ayesha Plus, or Escha & Logy Plus?

I think Ayesha would be a good starting point.
The alchemy system is less complex than in other Atelier games, but isn't bad or too easy either; my previous post was a tad exagerated/subjective. It'd make a good starting point to make a good learning curve in case you like it and try some other Atelier games.

Having not played this at all yet which version is recommended. It being portable doesn't matter to me.

I'd guess the Vita version, as it has added content. And portability definitively is a plus for these games.

Top Bottom