• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Anyone bought Ayesha Plus from the PS Store yet?

The product description said it has the "first print" bonus, but it didn't specify which. Usually, product description would say the name of the DLC.

Anyone knows if it's just Ayesha's White Diamond "wedding" costume or if it also includes Rinka and Wilbell's Bride Sapphire and Little Garnet?

So first screens of A16 are up here. Some people are panicking, thinking that time management might be gone in this one. In the one image which looks to be gameplay it just says "Head towards mainstreet", but there is no date shown.

I'm not impressed. So far.

The latest update has this tidbit:

Life Task System

This is a completely new goal management system that displays which tasks you should be doing at that point in time. For example, it will say, “I want to do a lot of mixing!” or “I want to advance the story!” It is a management system tailored to a variety of play styles.

I'm not really sure how to interpret this, tbh.

The latest update has this tidbit:

I'm not really sure how to interpret this, tbh.

Sounds kind of like Clippy from Microsoft Office. "I see you're trying to do more alchemy! Here are a few uncompleted tasks that are specifically about alchemy!"

That could actually be kind of neat, assuming there are a bunch of people who get overwhelmed by all the stuff you can do in the game at any given time. That said, I would hope it's more an optional guide and not a strict system.

That could actually be kind of neat, assuming there are a bunch of people who get overwhelmed by all the stuff you can do in the game at any given time. That said, I would hope it's more an optional guide and not a strict system.

Cynical me wants to say it sounds like annoying handholdy popups for increased accessibility. Hopefully I'm either completely wrong or it's optional.

It'll get licensed, hopefully by someone good like NIS or NIS and not someone bad like anyone else

I'll be ok if Funi licenses it since it will at least get some kind of decent release probably with a dub too.

Sentai licensing it means it'll probably get a crappy release, dvd only and no dub.

Not only I haven't played the game yet, most of the promotion materials are focused on the girls so I don't hold my breath for this.

I find it just silly how the anime promotion is focusing a lot on the girls while the story so far has anything but. Especially with all the focus on Nio and Windell acting like they are super important to the story.

Christhor

I find it just silly how the anime promotion is focusing a lot on the girls while the story so far has anything but. Especially with all the focus on Nio and Windell acting like they are super important to the story.

Well, I'm going to guess it's because of how insanely popular Wilbell, and to a lesser extent, Nio are in Japan. It's interesting that outside of Escha and Logy themselves, the Ayesha characters seem to be a lot more popular. Can't say that I really disagree though, Ayesha had some fantastic characters.

Scher

Well, I'm going to guess it's because of how insanely popular Wilbell, and to a lesser extent, Nio are in Japan. It's interesting that outside of Escha and Logy themselves, the Ayesha characters seem to be a lot more popular. Can't say that I really disagree though, Ayesha had some fantastic characters.

Why is Nio popular? She's barely even present in Ayesha, and what few scenes you get with or are not particularly interesting. At best, I felt Nio's existence did nothing more than drive the plot forward.

OceanBlue

Why is Nio popular? She's barely even present in Ayesha, and what few scenes you get with or are not particularly interesting. At best, I felt Nio's existence did nothing more than drive the plot forward.

I can't speak for others, but I like her character archetype. The other characters in Ayesha weren't particularly well-developed anyway so she was one of my favorites.

I personally am surprised Wilbell is popular (especially more popular than Linca and Escha), but I liked Nio the most in Ayesha so maybe it's just me. :V

Pretty impressed at how popular Solle is though.

But, it just kinda feels like a bait and switch for the anime. All the trailers are mostly girls doing cute things which isn't really how the plot is, unless the anime is basically going to ignore that and do its own thing instead.

Christhor

I personally am surprised Wilbell is popular (especially more popular than Linca and Escha), but I liked Nio the most in Ayesha so maybe it's just me. :V

Wilbell was my favourite in Ayesha, after Keith of course, but that's a given. I just found her very endearing. It was cute how hard she was trying to act like this great witch and an adult, despite being a kid who obviously had a long way to go. Her events in Ayesha were great.

Overall, I really liked the characters in Ayesha. All of the playable characters were great and interesting to some extent. I even liked the side characters like Ernie, Harry and Marietta. The only real duds in my opinion were Ranun and Fred, who were kinda dull.

But, it just kinda feels like a bait and switch for the anime. All the trailers are mostly girls doing cute things which isn't really how the plot is, unless the anime is basically going to ignore that and do its own thing instead.

The anime is probably going to have quite a bit of filler, probably mostly cute girls doing cute things-esque filler. It would be difficult to make an entire anime of the game without any filler, considering not all that much happens plot wise until later on in the game. Unless they were to focus on each assignment and make that its own episode, but that might get a bit boring.

Christhor

Fred was a nice guy, sure, but ultimately pretty boring. That might have been because I expected him to be like this series' Hagel though. Not easy to live up to that.

Fred was a nice guy, sure, but ultimately pretty boring. That might have been because I expected him to be like this series' Hagel though. Not easy to live up to that.

Duke's a little better in this regard (that Japanese poll where Duke placed last in the Escha & Logy rankings was straight-up bullshit) but no one replaces Hagel. Actually I miss him and Pamela both.

Daouzin

Bought Atelier Totori thanks to your guys' suggestion. I'm really enjoying it, I'll probably play some other Atelier games now, but I just got the ability to create Chims and I'm like, jesus, there is a lot going on in this game.

Ranking up has been pretty easy, but now I have like half the map unexplored and my armor just isn't up to snuff anymore.

Basically wondering how punishing the game is and if it matters how many years I take to beat the game? Feeling like I might be focusing on the wrong stuff.

Starting Year 3 and my Adventurer's rank is Platinum.

Should I be worried? As for winning the Year 5 event with Totori, is there anything I should do ahead of time to prepare?

Rarutos

Bought Atelier Totori thanks to your guys' suggestion. I'm really enjoying it, I'll probably play some other Atelier games now, but I just got the ability to create Chims and I'm like, jesus, there is a lot going on in this game.

Ranking up has been pretty easy, but now I have like half the map unexplored and my armor just isn't up to snuff anymore.

Basically wondering how punishing the game is and if it matters how many years I take to beat the game? Feeling like I might be focusing on the wrong stuff.

Starting Year 3 and my Adventurer's rank is Platinum.

Should I be worried? As for winning the Year 5 event with Totori, is there anything I should do ahead of time to prepare?

Game ends automatically after a certain date. I forget what day exactly, year 6 month 3 or something like that.

If the event you're talking about is the swimsuit contest, no one in particular has to win, you just have to have high/max friendship with all the ladies, I believe.

Truth.

Ayesha's cast is way better that E&L's.

I think you keep money and equipment.

Maybe also adventuring equipment (all the items that make you walk faster on the world map, allow you to warp home to the workshop instantly, bigger basket, etc.). Can't remember if Totori was the first game to make those separate equipment slots as opposed to things that sit in your basket.

GrimmUK

Banned
How long are these games developed for? Do they have multiple teams working on them? Seems like they have to be pretty rushed to crank out a 40 hour JRPG every year.

Daouzin

Maybe also adventuring equipment (all the items that make you walk faster on the world map, allow you to warp home to the workshop instantly, bigger basket, etc.). Can't remember if Totori was the first game to make those separate equipment slots as opposed to things that sit in your basket.

Haven't made any of those items, but they sound awesome.

zoku88

I think Meruru was the first for putting those items in equipment slots. I might be wrong though.

LuuKyK

How long are these games developed for? Do they have multiple teams working on them? Seems like they have to be pretty rushed to crank out a 40 hour JRPG every year.

GUST is pretty small. I think the team working on the Atelier games is around 20 people tops. So yeah, its quite impressive.

Durante

I'm not sure I like the sound of this "Life Task System". I hope it's really just a hint mechanic and not a fundamental change.

On a console no less, which we often hear is totally impossible for small Japanese developers :p
Gust are just incredibly productive.

Christhor

https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope/status/451375021529636864

Figure this is as good a place as any. It looks like TK might be hyping up for an Ar Nosurge announcement? I can't imagine any other reason to mention Qoga's anniversary.

It's a shame about the mess that Gust did with these games. Ciel Nosurge isn't actually completely out yet, they haven't released all the DLC chapters yet. And despite that, Ar Nosurge is a direct sequel to it, which apparently will be pretty confusing unless you know at least some of Ciel. It's a pretty baffling decision from Gust if you ask me, which leaves TK in a pretty difficult position, as far as localisation goes. I'll still support them if they announce the localisations though.

https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope/status/451375021529636864

Figure this is as good a place as any. It looks like TK might be hyping up for an Ar Nosurge announcement? I can't imagine any other reason to mention Qoga's anniversary.

It's a shame about the mess that Gust did with these games. Ciel Nosurge isn't actually completely out yet, they haven't released all the DLC chapters yet. And despite that, Ar Nosurge is a direct sequel to it, which apparently will be pretty confusing unless you know at least some of Ciel. It's a pretty baffling decision from Gust if you ask me, which leaves TK in a pretty difficult position, as far as localisation goes. I'll still support them if they announce the localisations though.

That's really weird--based on what I've heard of Ciel, I wouldn't think it to be a high localization priority, and if Ar Nosurge relies so heavily on it...

(whatever, I haven't even cracked my LE of Qoga, which was sort of a dumb purchase anyways given that I've never played any of the Ar Tonelico games and it's apparently the worst one. I R SMRT)

zoku88

That's really weird--based on what I've heard of Ciel, I wouldn't think it to be a high localization priority, and if Ar Nosurge relies so heavily on it...

(whatever, I haven't even cracked my LE of Qoga, which was sort of a dumb purchase anyways given that I've never played any of the Ar Tonelico games and it's apparently the worst one. I R SMRT)

Well, its probably better that you don't play it. It's not a very good game. (though, I only felt AT2 was the only good game in that series, anyway.)

Christhor

Yeah, I have no idea how TK should handle this. Ciel is not a game that would appeal to a whole lot of people, even within the Gust fanbase. And even then, how would they release it? Would they do it like Gust did and release it bit by bit, through DLC? Or release a complete edition, which doesn't even exist in Japan yet?

Qoga wasn't the best, it didn't even have a very good combat system to make up for other aspects of the game. Ar Nosurge looks better in most ways though, from what I've seen.

zoku88

How are the atelier ports on the vita?

I've only play Meruru Plus. It has a "pop-in" problem. More or less, sometimes when you enter into a new environment, it takes a while for 'charcter' models to appear.

By 'character', I mean NPCs (like in towns) and monsters (in fields.)

It can be kinda annoying when you want to recruit a member into you're party and you're waiting for them to pop-up.

ohlawd

I heard Totori Plus' got some framerate problems.

I wanna see for myself to compare to vanilla Totori but y'know, still 40 bones.

^ lol that's like a problem in every PS3 Atelier game. I was SMHing when I encountered this again in E&L. We on dah 5th game, son.

zoku88

Huh, really? I don't remember that in Totori on PS3. But it's been so long, maybe I just don't remember.

Kinda annoying when you have to wait like 20s to talk to someone. Or run into an invisible enemy.

ohlawd

Huh, really? I don't remember that in Totori on PS3. But it's been so long, maybe I just don't remember.

Kinda annoying when you have to wait like 20s to talk to someone. Or run into an invisible enemy.
oh yeah? My memory is pretty shit tbh. I know Ayesha has it, E&L definitely has it. Pretty sure they all do. Characters in Meruru would pop in at the city for sure. Ceci in Totori popped in.

Arthea

I liked first Ar Tonelico game more or less: all musical aspect of the world and even characters, I liked AT2 less, and I wish I never bought Qoga. I finished it, but the game
where you undress girls during every fight for more powerz
, is surely not my thing. There are some good things to be found in this game, but everything else is fanservice of the worst kind.
in other words, don't play it!

zoku88

oh yeah? My memory is pretty shit tbh. I know Ayesha has it, E&L definitely has it. Pretty sure they all do. Characters in Meruru would pop in at the city for sure. Ceci in Totori popped in.

My memory is also total shit.

I sorta remember that Ceci thing, though. Though maybe that is a false memory now XD

I haven't played Rorona or the newer ones...

Durante

There is character pop-in on the PS3 games. It may be longer on the PSV versions though (I haven't tried them), it's certainly never 20s on PS3.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Damn, I was waiting for the Vita version of Ayesha for the extra costumes, I hope it doesn't have problems. Is anyone playing the JPN version right now?

Arthea

There is character pop-in on the PS3 games. It may be longer on the PSV versions though (I haven't tried them), it's certainly never 20s on PS3.

ya, it was especially bad in Meruru, to the point that I was thinking that character is not in their place, it took that long for them to pop in.

Top Bottom