• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Which PS3 game is the best point to jump into the series for a newcomer?

If dual-language is important to you, I'd say Atelier Totori most definitely.

Atelier Ayesha is I think a little bit easier in terms of easing the player into the experience, but it's the only one that's English dub only.

Plus I just love Atelier Totori to bits. XD

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just wanted to say am real glad to see this thread and excellent job with it OP! Very happy to see others enjoying this great series. This series is one of the classics that I hope never goes away.

Which PS3 game is the best point to jump into the series for a newcomer?

Atelier Escha & Logy is also a good place to start as well.

While the some of the games are connected in terms of timeline, you don't really need to have play the previous game to get the story and such.

Durante

If dual-language is important to you, I'd say Atelier Totori most definitely.

Atelier Ayesha is I think a little bit easier in terms of easing the player into the experience, but it's the only one that's English dub only.

Plus I just love Atelier Totori to bits. XD
I agree 100%

Take Escha & Logy's alchemy system, graphics and battle system, and everything else from Totori, and you have the perfect Atelier game.

Christhor

I agree 100%

Take Escha & Logy's alchemy system, graphics and battle system, and everything else from Totori, and you have the perfect Atelier game.

What would the "everything else" from Totori entail? Now, I'd definitely love to have some more kingdom building, as shallow as it might have been, from Meruru.

I'm currently about 3 hours into Rorona (just received my second assignment). I have to say the time crunch aspect of the game is a turn off for me. It wasn't too bad during the first assignment. I managed to get the max evaluation, got my relationships up to 9ish, and finished enough quests to start getting requests from the ruins area. But now that i see it takes 2 days for one weapon/armor crafting material i'm starting to lose interest. I'm the type of person who loves to experiment with crafting and it doesn't look like it's going to be possible with the time requirements.

So a couple questions:

How much free time can i expect to have to mess with crafting and still get max evaluations and do plenty of quests? Seeing it takes 2 days to make an ingot is a bummer. Last one of these i played was Mana Khemia and i remember a crafting skill tree and i don't remember it using up time.

Do later games in the series lighten up the time crunch or is it a staple of the series?

Any input would be appreciated.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm currently about 3 hours into Rorona (just received my second assignment). I have to say the time crunch aspect of the game is a turn off for me. It wasn't too bad during the first assignment. I managed to get the max evaluation, got my relationships up to 9ish, and finished enough quests to start getting requests from the ruins area. But now that i see it takes 2 days for one weapon/armor crafting material i'm starting to lose interest. I'm the type of person who loves to experiment with crafting and it doesn't look like it's going to be possible with the time requirements.

So a couple questions:

How much free time can i expect to have to mess with crafting and still get max evaluations and do plenty of quests? Seeing it takes 2 days to make an ingot is a bummer. Last one of these i played was Mana Khemia and i remember a crafting skill tree and i don't remember it using up time.

Do later games in the series lighten up the time crunch or is it a staple of the series?

Any input would be appreciated.

Rorona is definitely the strictest of the PS3 games in terms of time. It does become manageable later on when you get
a homunculus
assistant.

The official website's been updated with information on the vocal artists working on Atelier Shallie. They include:

matryoshka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_q7LtFqdgM

Nasu Asaco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5MJz_4UkY

canoue/Haruka Shimotsuki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2qT81VMPfA

They're all really good. I want to share this cool animated music video from matryoshka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaVu3IxxavA

The setting and music gives a dark and bleak feeling in this video. I imagine a sad story going along with this song.

Artwork/3D models and info for three new characters are up on the official website as well as siliconera:

http://atelier-ps3.jp/shallie/#cha

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/14/atelier-shallie-changes-world-depending-play/

Shengar

So I continue my first Atelier Totori playthrough and managed to achieved diamond rank by 2/2 of year 3. Now I'm confused what am I supposed to do lol
Anyway, maybe I'll focus on defeating big monsters now. But even monsters like Roc hit like a truck, Maybe that's because I'm still using initial equipment of every character, and I want to create a new equipments. The problem is, I don't know how. Any direction, or tips? I feel overwhelmed by the game here.

Coxy

So I continue my first Atelier Totori playthrough and managed to achieved diamond rank by 2/2 of year 3. Now I'm confused what am I supposed to do lol
Anyway, maybe I'll focus on defeating big monsters now. But even monsters like Roc hit like a truck, Maybe that's because I'm still using initial equipment of every character, and I want to create a new equipments. The problem is, I don't know how. Any direction, or tips? I feel overwhelmed by the game here.

You need to make ingots to make weapons, you can buy the recipes from hagel I believe, then go synth some ingots, dont worry about trying to make particularly high tier metals, if you can make low level ingots with good abilities it's just as good. once you've made some ingots bring them back to hagel to make weapons

The official website's been updated with information on the vocal artists working on Atelier Shallie. They include:

matryoshka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_q7LtFqdgM

Nasu Asaco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5MJz_4UkY

canoue/Haruka Shimotsuki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2qT81VMPfA

They're all really good. I want to share this cool animated music video from matryoshka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaVu3IxxavA

The setting and music gives a dark and bleak feeling in this video. I imagine a sad story going along with this song.

Artwork/3D models and info for three new characters are up on the official website as well as siliconera:

http://atelier-ps3.jp/shallie/#cha

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/14/atelier-shallie-changes-world-depending-play/

Nice. I know at the very least that Nasu Asako did this piece for Escha and Logy. Beautiful song.

UberTag

I made a startling discovery today while playing Atelier Totori.

I baked a Chim Pie with my 5th Water of Life and then I took all of the other pies away.
My other Chims ATE the Chim Pie. They're cannibals!
AU7Amsc.gif

Atolm

Finished Atelier Ayesha a few days ago (got the platinum trophy as well) and so far I found it the best one yet by a wide margin. Less creepy fanservice (even the bath scene is very tame this time), better soundtrack, a far more interesting world & setting...and much better characters, imo. I loved both Wilbell and Keithgriff, but everyone is great.

The only thing I didn't like that much was the alchemy system, I finished the game and yet I don't understand how does it work, it isn't like Totori or Meruru. But since you don't need to worry about quality or traits for the requests for the most part, it doesn't matter much either.

I made a startling discovery today while playing Atelier Totori.

I baked a Chim Pie with my 5th Water of Life and then I took all of the other pies away.
My other Chims ATE the Chim Pie. They're cannibals!
AU7Amsc.gif

You think that's bad. (minor Rorona spoilers)

Finished Atelier Ayesha a few days ago (got the platinum trophy as well) and so far I found it the best one yet by a wide margin. Less creepy fanservice (even the bath scene is very tame this time), better soundtrack, a far more interesting world & setting...and much better characters, imo. I loved both Wilbell and Keithgriff, but everyone is great.

The only thing I didn't like that much was the alchemy system, I finished the game and yet I don't understand how does it work, it isn't like Totori or Meruru. But since you don't need to worry about quality or traits for the requests for the most part, it doesn't matter much either.

#teamayesha

Ayesha lays the groundwork for Escha & Logy's system, but the latter is better at showing you what properties will carry over from ingredients so it's a little easier to grok.

Atolm

Oh and by the way, the lack of Japanese dub in Ayesha didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The English dub is fairly competent, even if it's only a partial dub and not fully voiced like the Japanese track.

Great, so now I have to decide if I want it on PS3 or Vita.

both, duh

Also, that Amazon listing has a description, and where would they get such a thing if not from the publisher? SO EXCITE.

Also also, bets on how likely that June 13 release date actually is?

Great, so now I have to decide if I want it on PS3 or Vita.

both, duh

Also, that Amazon listing has a description, and where would they get such a thing if not from the publisher? SO EXCITE.

Also also, bets on how likely that June 13 release date actually is?

Seems soon but Koei does kinda do that at times, announcing things that are pretty close to release.

They have mentioned they'll have more announcements come May so this is probably one of them.

webkid94

Just when I had the platinum for Escha&Logy in my sights, I SOMEHOW missed some scenes and
Clone nor Nio never came to the fallen ruins, no honeycombs in sight, the whole dialogue with Flameu is totally weird and distant, she goes down, laughs and disappears
. But I managed to get the LV 99 adventurer and Lv 50 Alchemy trophies and Lucille's ending and beat Palace of Paupers' superbosses (hate the remix music for Regullveig), so I don't have to do those again (but probably will for super hard Flameu).

I really wish Gust would keep this exact battle system + synthesis for future games, I think they finally got the right balance down here. The double draw is awesome, the six person loadout is genius and the 4 month tasks are easy to follow. Building the
dreadnought
totally reminded me at first of Totori's
ship building
, but thankfully here it is so much easier and less head pounding.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Was Rorona Plus released for PS3 in Japan? What about Ayesha Plus or Totori Plus?

Was Rorona Plus released for PS3 in Japan? What about Ayesha Plus or Totori Plus?

The Rorona remake is called Shin (New) Atelier Rorona (like how the Dynasty Warriors games is named in Japan). It was released for both the PS3 and PSV.

The Plus games are Vita ports of the original PS3 game. And only been released on the PSV.

I'm guessing they are dropping the New part and renaming it into the Plus line for consistency?

Just when I had the platinum for Escha&Logy in my sights, I SOMEHOW missed some scenes and
Clone nor Nio never came to the fallen ruins, no honeycombs in sight, the whole dialogue with Flameu is totally weird and distant, she goes down, laughs and disappears
. But I managed to get the LV 99 adventurer and Lv 50 Alchemy trophies and Lucille's ending and beat Palace of Paupers' superbosses (hate the remix music for Regullveig), so I don't have to do those again (but probably will for super hard Flameu).

I really wish Gust would keep this exact battle system + synthesis for future games, I think they finally got the right balance down here. The double draw is awesome, the six person loadout is genius and the 4 month tasks are easy to follow. Building the
dreadnought
totally reminded me at first of Totori's
ship building
, but thankfully here it is so much easier and less head pounding.

Dunno if you intend to go back or not, but I think the key to getting the different dialogue and whatnot is
finding all the lithograph pieces
. Not sure but I think without that
you never go talk to Clone and Nio about what it all means
. So you didn't necessarily miss some scenes, you just need to make sure you've examined every possible dungeon first. Some of them are easy to miss (
the ones that aren't attached to a boss fight, that is
) but once you're in the right place it'll be obvious.

ohlawd

Did they change anything for New Rorona other than graphics?

Probably updated the battle system too to match Meruru or Ayesha's.

Christhor

Sweet, a physical release for the PS3? I'm all over that.

Ayesha is my favourite in the series so far too. It just felt to me like what Totori should have been. The alchemy system didn't click with me either, until halfway through Escha & Logy, because they never really explained how it worked. At one point (maybe when Ayesha+ comes over?) I'll go back to Ayesha and see if the alchemy system works for me now, or if it was just improved that much on in Escha & Logy.

Did they change anything for New Rorona other than graphics?

Probably updated the battle system too to match Meruru or Ayesha's.

Well besides the new graphics and battle system, more playable characters:

Astrid, Totori, Meruru, Esty

There's also a garden, a time capsule feature, decorating your workshop, costumes, new dungeons and judging on what the wikia says, the assignment system has been revamped to follow Atelier Escha and Logy's.

ohlawd

They did upgrade it to Meruru's system.

I hope we get Ayesha Plus with dual audio as well.

Well besides the new graphics and battle system, more playable characters:

Astrid, Totori, Meruru, Esty

There's also a garden, a time capsule feature, decorating your workshop, costumes, new dungeons and judging on what the wikia says, the assignment system has been revamped to follow Atelier Escha and Logy's.

holy shit I thought this was a shoehorned effort. Decorating your workshop? This is some Animal Crossing goodness in here.

Rarutos

holy shit I thought this was a shoehorned effort. Decorating your workshop? This is some Animal Crossing goodness in here.

That's why they called it "New" in Japan rather than "Plus." It's a remake, rather than a port. If they call it Plus here, I fear people might just think it's a port rather than a enhanced remake. But oh well, it's consistent?

Christhor

That's why they called it "New" in Japan rather than "Plus." It's a remake, rather than a port. If they call it Plus here, I fear people might just think it's a port rather than a enhanced remake. But oh well, it's consistent?

It would be best to call it New, agreed, but for the most part I feel like the people who are into this series will know about it being a remake either way.

Rarutos

It would be best to call it New, agreed, but for the most part I feel like the people who are into this series will know about it being a remake either way.

True enough! Putting a Rorona Plus on PS3 might get people asking for Totori and Meruru Plus for consoles too though, lol

Rarutos

I actually want Ayesha+ more than this though. Mostly because I'm on the fence buying the PS3 version right now.

That came out in Japan not too long ago so I wouldn't expect news about it so soon or anything. I'm happy we're probably getting both.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So reading up on getting the endings of totori....

Holy crap I have to do all of the endings in order to get the true end? Won't that take absolutely ages?

Please tell me I can get them in one playthrough.

Holy crap I have to do all of the endings in order to get the true end? Won't that take absolutely ages?

Probably not, though you can sort of do it if you keep saves at crucial points along the way so you don't have to start from scratch. Unlike Ayesha and Escha & Logy, the Arland series would only allow you to see one ending at a time based on whatever ending flags took precedence--you don't get to choose out of all the possible endings you've unlocked. A big reason why I've never platinumed the previous games.

That said, once you know your way through the game subsequent NG+ playthroughs can be quite a bit quicker.

You can get them all on one playthrough, I did it. You'll probably need to check a guide though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Huh, alright. I guess I'll just play it casually for the first playthrough and then go for every ending in the second in NG+.

Top Bottom