• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atheists in Malaysia should be hunted down, minister says

Atheists in Malaysia should be ”hunted down" by authorities as there is no place for groups like this under the Federal Constitution, a minister said today.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim said the public should aid authorities in locating groups like the Kuala Lumpur chapter of Atheist Republic so that action could be taken.

”The (Federal Constitution) does not mention atheists. It goes against the Constitution and human rights.

”I suggest that we hunt them down vehemently and we ask for help to identify these groups," he said in a press conference at Parliament today.

The Arau MP added that most of these Malaysians especially Muslims turn into atheists as they lack religious education.

”They actually don't want to be atheists but it happens because of the lack of religious education. They are misled with a new school of thought," Shahidan said.

He also urged religious groups especially the muftis to help educate Muslims who have become atheists.

”We need to return them to the faith and correct their aqidah if they are Muslims. To all Mufti's and state exco's, take note," Shahidan stressed.

A photo of the gathering by the Kuala Lumpur chapter, or ”consulate", has caused uproar from some in the Muslim community recently after it was highlighted by pro-Islamist blogs, leading to violent and death threats on social media.

Deputy minister in charge of Islamic affairs Datuk Dr Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki said yesterday Putrajaya will investigate the local group, even roping in the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, as it allegedly involved the faith of Muslims in the country.

Atheist Republic has over a million followers and supporters on social media, with hundreds of ”consulates" worldwide including in neighbouring Indonesia and the Philippines.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/atheists-malaysia-hunted-down-minister-says-100400984.html

Accidentally double posted this after catching it on reddit. Here is another possible link I added that has riled up the government officials

A Picture of Malaysian Atheists Has Led to a Government Crackdown on Ex-Muslims

Atheist Republic, an online Facebook group with more than 1.7 million followers around the world, frequently holds meetups for members in larger cities. It's not just a chance to interact in person, though the importance of that shouldn't be understated. They can do a lot more when they get to organize in person. The Metro Manila ”Consulate," for example, even raised money for disaster victims in the Philippines.

Last week, the Consulate of Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia got together for dinner and drinks and they took a picture of the group to celebrate the occasion.

W72lHpt.png

The government will investigate if there are Muslims who have joined the Kuala Lumpur Atheist Club, as made viral on the social media recently, said Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Dr Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki.

According to Asyraf Wajdi, jurisdiction on Islamic faith is under the Syariah Criminal Enactment of each state, while at the Federal Territories level, it is under the Federal Territories Islamic Religious Department (Jawi).

”If it is proven that there are Muslims involved in atheist activities that could affect their faith, the state Islamic religious departments or Jawi could take action. I have asked for Jawi to look into this grave allegation," he told reporters after officiating the Indera Mahkota Division Umno Youth Delegates' Conference here today.

More @ http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...-led-to-a-government-crackdown-on-ex-muslims/

20604715_10104238184406428_6117249457623108252_n.jpg

20621186_10104238184426388_5926047170747201444_n.jpg

“The (Federal Constitution) does not mention atheists. It goes against the Constitution and human rights.

“I suggest that we hunt them down vehemently and we ask for help to identify these groups,” he said in a press conference at Parliament today.

The Arau MP added that most of these Malaysians especially Muslims turn into atheists as they lack religious education.

“They actually don’t want to be atheists but it happens because of the lack of religious education. They are misled with a new school of thought,” Shahidan said.

^Well, there are some nice progressive thoughts for the day!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Right better put Malaysia on the list of places to never visit.

To think that my ex-boss thinks that Malaysia is a great country to visit though me and his co-worker knew better.

How fragile must your faith be if an atheist scares you enough to panic and order murder.

It's a number game, I wouldn't be surprised if they believe that if they convert more people onto their side they will get through the pearly gate in the sky.

orochi91

Having read the OP, I'm not entirely sure what Atheist Republic did to trigger this condemnation.

Other than simply existing?

Mohonky

To think that my ex-boss thinks that Malaysia is a great country to visit though me and his co-worker knew better.

At one point, it was. Same with Brunei, but both have become increasingly conservative with theological reasoning becoming more and more prevalent.

cameron

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim said the public should aid authorities in locating groups like the Kuala Lumpur chapter of Atheist Republic so that action could be taken.

“The (Federal Constitution) does not mention atheists. It goes against the Constitution and human rights.

“I suggest that we hunt them down vehemently and we ask for help to identify these groups,” he said in a press conference at Parliament today.

Hunt down atheists/apostates because atheism is against human rights, he says.

Time to hire this guy.

This is some bullshit though. How do you prove someone is atheist? Couldnt you just be like "yeah I believe in god" and go back to being atheist?

Ha, during witch hunts they really don't prove anything. It incites mobs and horrible acts happen as the "misconstrued" statement gives an apparent green light to the actions. There's no rule of law.

Membership of the church of the flying spaghetti monster to skyrocket.

I can't believe this is a thing from a public official anywhere (rather, I don't want to believe but it's hardly shocking...)

So having looked this guy up, I discover the following:
From Wikipedia said:
According to Joceline Tan, columnist for The Star, Shahidan has a "larger-than-life personality" and is known for his "warlord style of politics".[5] He has held numerous positions in sports administration, including the presidencies of the Malaysia Athletic Federation, the Amateur Swimming Union of Malaysia and the Perlis Football Association.[11] In 2010, he called for Facebook to be banned in Malaysia, citing national security issues after a Facebook account holder was found to have insulted Islam and the current as well as the former Prime Ministers of Malaysia.[12]

Shahidan is a leading proponent of Salafism—a puritanical Sunni Islamic movement opposed by Malaysia's religious establishment—within UMNO. In 2010 he arranged for a group of young Salafi clerics, including Fathul Bari Mat Jahya, to join UMNO to boost the party's standing with conservative Muslim voters.[13] While Chief Minister of Perlis, his government passed anti-apostasy laws in the State Assembly and sought to loosen restrictions on polygamy in the state.[14]

What a wonderful fellow.

Eusis

I swear to fuck, if I could be dictator of the world first damn thing I'd do is ensure freedom from having religious views forced down your throat. And "insults to *religion*" do not count as forcing views.

LordKasual

Banned
This is too real and too depressing.

FUCK

I'm actually in disbelief over what I just watched. It's like an anti-moral of a story.

My mother's reaction to me saying i'm an atheist was...memorable. Understanding, but memorable.

My siblings would describe themselves as "spiritual". My parents are more traditional religious.

I will never voluntarily tell my extended relatives.

Time to hire this guy.

This is some bullshit though. How do you prove someone is atheist? Couldnt you just be like "yeah I believe in god" and go back to being atheist?

never heard of the inquisition?

someone is randomly chosen. you are tortured to death to confess that you are a heretic. if you confess you die because you are heretic. if you refuse you die due to the torture.

It's a number game, I wouldn't be surprised if they believe that if they convert more people onto their side they will get through the pearly gate in the sky.

Malaysia is a really nice country to visit, just maybe not to live in.

South East Asia has gone to shit lately.

Audioboxer

Accidentally double posted this after catching it on reddit. Here is another possible link I added that has riled up the government officials

A Picture of Malaysian Atheists Has Led to a Government Crackdown on Ex-Muslims

Atheist Republic, an online Facebook group with more than 1.7 million followers around the world, frequently holds meetups for members in larger cities. It’s not just a chance to interact in person, though the importance of that shouldn’t be understated. They can do a lot more when they get to organize in person. The Metro Manila “Consulate,” for example, even raised money for disaster victims in the Philippines.

Last week, the Consulate of Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia got together for dinner and drinks and they took a picture of the group to celebrate the occasion.

W72lHpt.png

The government will investigate if there are Muslims who have joined the Kuala Lumpur Atheist Club, as made viral on the social media recently, said Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Dr Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki.

…

According to Asyraf Wajdi, jurisdiction on Islamic faith is under the Syariah Criminal Enactment of each state, while at the Federal Territories level, it is under the Federal Territories Islamic Religious Department (Jawi).

“If it is proven that there are Muslims involved in atheist activities that could affect their faith, the state Islamic religious departments or Jawi could take action. I have asked for Jawi to look into this grave allegation,” he told reporters after officiating the Indera Mahkota Division Umno Youth Delegates’ Conference here today.

More @ http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...-led-to-a-government-crackdown-on-ex-muslims/

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
another destination crossed off the map.

I will never understand how time can march on with science explaining away all the craziness of the world and pushing outside the bounds of our little planet and still there are fucks that believe the earth is flat. That god is real and hates other people who read the wrong book. That vaccines will hurt babies.

Never has he ever been so right.

Audioboxer

All that people look so happy.

Probably don't feel so happy reading the comments all hoping they get arrested, jailed or even killed (you can read them translated on that website I linked to). With that going on, on social media, it certainly doesn't help having a government minister then come out and say a week later to hunt down atheists.

I wish we could truthfully say we as the US welcome them as refugees, but they are brown and likely from families with Islamic religious backgrounds.

The world is a shitshow of religious zealot cunts.

I like how he mentions human rights before he says "hunt them down" as though these aren't contradictory. And Atheists are supposed to be the immoral ones lol

Probably don't feel so happy reading the comments all hoping they get arrested, jailed or even killed (you can read them translated on that website I linked to). With that going on, on social media, it certainly doesn't help having a government minister then come out and say a week later to hunt down atheists.

Holy shit you are right

20604715_10104238184406428_6117249457623108252_n.jpg

20621186_10104238184426388_5926047170747201444_n.jpg

Abrahamic relgions' usefulness arguably ended 100 years ago, time to let it go people. It absolutely blows my mind how Southeast Asia is indoctrinated by a religion that came from figuratively a world away.

Top Bottom