• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atheists in Malaysia should be hunted down, minister says

Madness

I think eventually Albania will probably be one of the last Islamic theocracies or muslim majority countries that isn't a repressive and hardline state? Turkey, Malaysia, even Pakistan are all going backwards from being open and secular.

This is all Saudi influence. They have been allowed to go unchallenged,to fund hardline groups and promote their hardline Wahabbi Sunni ideology everywhere.

I think eventually Albania will probably be one of the last Islamic theocracies or muslim majority countries that isn't a repressive and hardline state? Turkey, Malaysia, even Pakistan are all going backwards from being open and secular.

This is all Saudi influence. They have been allowed to go unchallenged,to fund hardline groups and promote their hardline Wahabbi Sunni ideology everywhere.

I wonder what will happen when the dictators of central asia die or are deposed too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am so glad that with the newest Constitution, my country allows diversity of faiths. Even if it was from '91, it's still pretty recent.

I hope the situation improves for Atheists in Malaysia. I just can't grasp a country doing this to its citizens.

Replicant

The (Federal Constitution) does not mention atheists. It goes against the Constitution and human rights.

What kind of batshit insane talk is this? So hunting them down is in line with the constitution and human rights? Fuck you, shit PM.

So over religion too. They've done nothing but turning humans into shittier being than they already are for nebulous reasons.

What kind of batshit insane talk is this? So hunting them down is in line with the constitution and human rights? Fuck you, shit PM.

Not the PM, but an MP currently working as a minister in government. Mind, I'd not be surprised if the PM also had a dim view of atheists.

Really, this sort of shit makes me increasingly understand why a friend of mine in Malaysia A) Is wary of questioning or adjusting his faith too deeply and B) Wants to find some way of getting out of the country.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Holy shit you are right

20604715_10104238184406428_6117249457623108252_n.jpg

20621186_10104238184426388_5926047170747201444_n.jpg
Comments like these on social media are pretty common when it comes to anything that goes against the teachings of Islam. Some people chose to ignore them or act like they don't exist but they do. The total lack of tollarence is something we should all be mindful of regardless of your views.

Stay safe Malaysian atheists!

How fragile must your faith be if an atheist scares you enough to panic and order murder.

Agreed. I am a Muslim, and there is nothing in the original text that justifies forcing somebody to believe in God, let alone murder them in the name of a religion. Muslims should be ashamed of themselves for the abominations that they have been perpetuating...What a fucking disgrace!

Gorger

Gives me chills just reading this... just harrowing. I find it unfathomable someone can be this backward and ignorant in 2017. The people in the picture looked like an awesome bunch I hope they stay safe.

FUME5

Malaysia is a strange place.

Holidayed there 25 or so years ago, wouldn't consider it at all these days.

Now where's that Malaysian poster who likes to shit on Australia to tell us that this is blown out of proportion.

Replicant

Malaysia MP: 'Denying husbands sex is abuse'

Mr Mohamad Zulkifly (Malaysian MP) touched on this in a speech to parliament, saying that denying a Muslim man the chance to marry a second wife also amounted to "abuse".

How can someone lack so much self-awareness and humility?

So much entitlement and selfishness for someone who thinks of himself as a religious person.

Renekton

I think they're comments from the Facebook photo of the atheist meet up. So you know, you'd hope Facebook would actually suspend any that are incitement to violence. FB is probably going to FB though.
Non-Muslims Malaysians speaking out against this on FB have a good chance of being dragged off by police for inciting public unrest.

Right better put Malaysia on the list of places to never visit.

To think that my ex-boss thinks that Malaysia is a great country to visit though me and his co-worker knew better.

It's a number game, I wouldn't be surprised if they believe that if they convert more people onto their side they will get through the pearly gate in the sky.

It's actually pretty nice as a vacation spot. Malaysia is a little like the US where metropolitan areas are more liberal (think around the levels of 80s-90s conservative American) whereas rural areas are largely uneducated and fundamentalist.

Having read the OP, I'm not entirely sure what Atheist Republic did to trigger this condemnation.

Other than simply existing?

By having Malays in the picture. Race is a key driving factor in Malaysian politics, and race and religion are intrinsically intertwined there.

I made a post that gives an outline about the interplay of race and religion in Malaysia

I think you guys are blowing this headline a bit out of proportion.

First of all, this only applies to local Malays, of which there appears to be a few in that photo. Malays in Malaysia are born into the Muslim faith, and it is against the law for a Muslim to leave the faith Malaysia.

So if you're an Atheist visiting Malaysia, you're not gonna be "hunted down". Unless you're trying a to convert a local Muslim, that's against the law too. I mean, I'm an Atheist Chinese and they don't give a crap about me.

Also, this is just another minister who is talking shit to get attention, there's a lot of precedent for this in our politics. The guy mentioned above talking about marriage and all is of the same ilk. The news will be reported, guy gets the attention he wants, authorities do nothing, news fizzles away after a few days. Repeat ad nauseum.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Thanks religion!

I think you guys are blowing this headline a bit out of proportion.

First of all, this only applies to local Malays, of which there appears to be a few in that photo. Malays in Malaysia are born into the Muslim faith, and it is against the law for a Muslim to leave the faith Malaysia.

So if you're an Atheist visiting Malaysia, you're not gonna be "hunted down". Unless you're trying a to convert a local Muslim, that's against the law too. I mean, I'm an Atheist Chinese and they don't give a crap about me.

Also, this is just another minister who is talking shit to get attention, there's a lot of precedent for this in our politics. The guy mentioned above talking about marriage and all is of the same ilk. The news will be reported, guy gets the attention he wants, authorities do nothing, news fizzles away after a few days. Repeat ad nauseum.

Disgusting.

So fuck the local Malaysian atheists?
Rhetoric doesn't matter? Because atheists haven't been hunted down and murdered in other theocratic countries?

Sentilly

Neo Member
Whenever I see news like this come out of Malaysia I worry for the future of my relatives there.

I dunno I think the country is just one national crisis or disaster from another race riot or some sort of racially based civil conflict.

digdug2k

Right better put Malaysia on the list of places to never visit.

To think that my ex-boss thinks that Malaysia is a great country to visit though me and his co-worker knew better.
Thank God you managed to find a place to live that's completely free of religious nuts and racists, eh? Oh wait... no? Well at least you'd never see one elected to public office... ?

Thanks religion!

Disgusting.

So fuck the local Malaysian atheists?
Rhetoric doesn't matter? Because atheists haven't been hunted down and murdered in other theocratic countries?

Rhetoric does matter. But for us living in Malaysia, we've been bombarded with rhetoric like this for years and nothing ever happens so it's easy to be cynical and shrug it off as another stupid minister saying stupid things. If you're looking at it from the outside, it definitely looks more alarming.

There's been an upswing of this sort of race-based statements recently because there's a general election due to be announced within the next six months or so. The ruling coalition knows that they've lost the vote of the urban Muslims (which tend to be more liberal and secular), and their strategy to counter that to appeal to the rural voters by brandishing conservative Islamic credentials. So this is like Michele Bachmann saying idiotic things in the run up to Congressional elections. Like the US, Malaysian politics is getting more and more polarised and that's sad, because we were a much better place in the 90s.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Rhetoric does matter. But for us living in Malaysia, we've been bombarded with rhetoric like this for years and nothing ever happens so it's easy to be cynical and shrug it off as another stupid minister saying stupid things. If you're looking at it from the outside, it definitely looks more alarming.

There's been an upswing of this sort of race-based statements recently because there's a general election due to be announced within the next six months or so. The ruling coalition knows that they've lost the vote of the urban Muslims (which tend to be more liberal and secular), and their strategy to counter that to appeal to the rural voters by brandishing conservative Islamic credentials. So this is like Michele Bachmann saying idiotic things in the run up to Congressional elections. Like the US, Malaysian politics is getting more and more polarised and that's sad, because we were a much better place in the 90s.

Look at Russia and Turkey.
Progress can be undone.

And you think atheists or accused atheists in the more rural areas are safe?

Come on.

Jag

Imagine being so insanely insecure in your religion that you want to kill others for leaving it.

Look at Russia and Turkey.
Progress can be undone.

And you think atheists or accused atheists in the more rural areas are safe?

Come on.

Progress HAS been undone.

Which is why it's important that we go and vote the government out during the upcoming elections. There's whispers that the opposition are making a lot of inroads into the rural voter base riding on the government's financial scandals, so the ruling party is running scared and their only weapon is to be 'Islamer-than-thou'. Statements like this are like waving the anti-abortion flag - it's meat to a conservative base that will hopefully see that as more important that corruption.

I'm atheist myself. It was never an issue when I was growing up; only recently. My only weapon against this conservative trend is my vote.

SRG01

What the hell happened to Malaysia (and SE Asia) these past few years? It used to be a pretty relaxed country. My ex is ethnic Chinese from neighbouring Brunei and she never had any issues...

Renekton

The ruling coalition knows that they've lost the vote of the urban Muslims (which tend to be more liberal and secular), and their strategy to counter that to appeal to the rural voters by brandishing conservative Islamic credentials.
Actually urban Malays have become religiously conservative as well. KL now is a sea of tudungs, compared to few wearing it during the 90s.

Jimrpg

What the hell happened to Malaysia (and SE Asia) these past few years? It used to be a pretty relaxed country. My ex is ethnic Chinese from neighbouring Brunei and she never had any issues...

Religion and Politics is a pretty deadly cocktail, religion is used mostly to keep people in check here. Now they're using it to get attention possibly to gain whatever emotional response they need to keep the conversation about them going (just like my response above I suppose). Cheap and easy.

My father in law says its mostly for show, we're chinese, but he's friends with Datuk Jamal one of the louder voices in the red shirt movement, they hold rallies and are very pro bumi (native Malaysians) (and quite anti chinese). He says Datuk Jamal is just doing it to get attention. The red shirt movement was a response to the constant yellow shirt 'bersih' (clean) rallies and attempt to get the government to clean up their act.

Honestly its just bad to pit one 'race' against another just to increase political numbers.

Bastables

Minister and all the wannabe bloodletters seem to not have actually read the Quran as within Al Baraq: "there is no compulsion in religion"

Raguel

This saddens me as my wife is from Malaysia and we visit almost every year. There are so many great people in Malaysia and it's depressing how the government is regressing. There is a lot of racism and religious fanatics holding office in the government hell bent on making it hard for other ethnicities such as Chinese and Indians. They even put certain provisions to prevent other ethnicities to be in government positions. The country is beautiful and the food is amazing with some great people. The larger metropolitan areas are liberal and progressive but they can only do so much when the government is such a shit show. Malaysia is a prime example of why we need the separation of government and religion.

Top Bottom