• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atheists in Malaysia should be hunted down, minister says

Renekton

My father in law says its mostly for show, we're chinese, but he's friends with Datuk Jamal one of the louder voices in the red shirt movement, they hold rallies and are very pro bumi (native Malaysians) (and quite anti chinese). He says Datuk Jamal is just doing it to get attention.
Makes sense. This statement coincides nicely with the IPIC 1MDB $603m bombshell.

Meanwhile, even in the other thread, on neogaf, there's inexplicable passive aggression for atheist people.

Religion is a memetic disease that keeps us primitive.

Holy shit you are right

20604715_10104238184406428_6117249457623108252_n.jpg

What do the prophets of old say about posting dumb shit on facebook?

Monocle

Seems reasonable. After all, you can't be good without religion! The good people should hunt down and murder the not good people, right?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What a fucking shithole. Being an atheist is against human rights? Lolwut?

Never visiting that country, that's for sure.

Izuna

Banned
You know, I spent a day with a dude from Saudi Arabia who was okay with saying that Atheists were the evil people in the world. I didn't want to argue that point because it was a little scary how he said it.

Religion fucking blows.

Jonnax

What do the prophets of old say about posting dumb shit on facebook?

Might be dumb shit in your world. But in theirs they possibly have no problem killing or witnessing the killing of an Atheist.

Imagine they were in the jury of a trial of a person that killed an 'apostate'

cyress8

Banned
Another check mark on religion being such trash. Religious folk (all religions) get your people in line please. You guys have too many people in them that want to harm people just because they are different.

Religion is so fucking stupid, it really does bring out the worst in people.

Those tweets are scary. Why aren't those folks just content with their God handling atheists in the afterlife?
That's what I never understood, if I'm so evil then God will deal with me himself right? Why are you getting involved, why are you trying to do his work for him?

Audioboxer

Meanwhile, even in the other thread, on neogaf, there's inexplicable passive aggression for atheist people.

Religion is a memetic disease that keeps us primitive.

It's statements like that which do antagonise some, and others just don't like seeing anyone's feelings being hurt, even religious people they might not agree with.

However, that being said, I tried to give some brief reasoning to Zakalwe in that other topic why there can be lots of over the top criticism/statements and push back http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245744514&postcount=193 Or as some try to pass it all off as, fedora tipping.

(Yay, I'm now one of the self-quote wankers! lol)

Ultimately, religious belief should be a personal belief, and a lot of the visceral pushback comes about to challenge governments or movements that are trying to dictate by law, or at least infer through intimidation, that one must have a belief. Or a society must be built on one religion. A secular society is often the best way we've decided on trying to honour everyone's feelings as best we can. Therefore, freedom of speech will forever be intertwined with freedom of religion, even although many who are religious will never like freedom of speech being used to criticise, satirise and mock. One could argue exposing people to that over long spells of time is precisely what can start to liberalise religious minds to accept their faith is personal and that others not having a faith, or not their faith, can be co-existed alongside without outrageous or violent conflict. You have your right to feel offended, but being offended does not give you carte blanche to get people locked up, arrested, hurt, killed or abused in the name of God.

Look at a lot of the later generations of Christians and Catholics in Western countries. They've had to for years gone by put up with contempt, mockery, ridicule and criticism, to the point where it's just part of the society and people need to put up with it now. While belief in God is sliding a bit in many Western countries, the greater point is a lot of Christians and Catholics have liberalised over the years, and in effect that has helped pass things like gay marriage and view gender equality in better terms. It's not to say there still isn't vocal Christians and Catholics against many things in their society, but even they for the most part due to the exposure they face have to accept all they will have is their speech and protest. I mean, you don't tend to see as much violence and attacks coming from fundamentalist Christians and Catholics these days in the Western societies that strongly promote freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

The answer to anything God/religion isn't a full fledged war on trying to convert everyone to non-belief. That is an edgy atheist/fedora tipping stance if any. Probably the worst of the worst. The answer is to make sure a societies backbone is as secular/liberal as can be, and then that both freedom of speech and freedom of religion are paramount. That then allows open debate, challenge and criticism which in return over spells of time works its own magic to help de-radicalise and liberalise many who want to have a God in their life. On a side note, education needs to be protected too, as it's another area religious movements often go after to try and censor/restrict/remove teachings into things like evolution, biology, archaeology and more. Thankfully outside of private faith schools, most of our societies do pretty well in defending public schools teaching a varied curriculum.

Venfayth

The problem is religious reasons to commit violence. If a religion contains an incitement to commit violence against anyone for any reason, it's a problem. I think that's most religions though?

linkboy

Another check mark on religion being such trash. Religious folk (all religions) get your people in line please. You guys have too many people in them that want to harm people just because they are different.

They're not going to get their people in line, because they believe they're the line and atheists (and non-believers of their religion) are the ones out of line.

Aiii

So not worth it
The problem is religious reasons to commit violence. If a religion contains an incitement to commit violence against anyone for any reason, it's a problem. I think that's most religions though?

Pretty much all the old ones, definitely all the Abrahamic ones.

When will people realize that a surefire way to strengthen a movement is to persecute it

Not really true in all cases. Certainly there are plenty of movements in history that were eradicated simply by killing everyone in it.

Oppo

Seriously, the whole fedora neckbeard meme is tiresome.

"waah, I don't like their hats, here's a gif of some dweeb with a katana"

agreed; there's way, way too much of that kneejerk bullshit. (which maybe I am also doing here, but the point stands either way ;)

Jag

Minister and all the wannabe bloodletters seem to not have actually read the Quran as within Al Baraq: "there is no compulsion in religion"

But death for apostasy seems to be fairly supported even if not carried out, not just in Malaysia either.

Shouldn't the UN human rights council step up here?
If a government plans to murder people for their faith or lack thereof thats a clear human rights violation.

Where is the international pressure? Where are the sanctions?

There are two sets of idiots in this story. The idiots who would kill because a book says so as well as the government, and the atheists who don't understand the meaning of being one and still congregate like a fucking religion.

There are two sets of idiots in this story. The idiots who would kill because a book says so as well as the government, and the atheists who don't understand the meaning of being one and still congregate like a fucking religion.

This type of situation is exactly why Atheists feel prompted to meet up with each other and feel some sense of community.

Every sort of group gathering or meetup is like a religion now, got it.

Azoor

Shouldn't the UN human rights council step up here?
If a government plans to murder people for their faith or lack thereof thats a clear human rights violation.

Where is the international pressure? Where are the sanctions?

The Human Rights council is lead by Saudi Arabia...

Audioboxer

Yeah, but what idiots do you think most societies would see as objectively more worrying/dangerous instead of just roll your eyes/cringe worthy? The ones getting together to drink beer, eat pork, have pre-marital sex (or same sex!) and be a bit loud and obnoxious about how they're certain there is no God? Or the ones actively trying to get people locked up, arrested, killed, hurt or threatened for blasphemy, what people wear or who they want to have sex with? One side is maybe a bit too liberal in their use of free speech from time to time (senseless antagonization doesn't always help), the other side routinely wants to totally eradicate free speech and replace it with religious law/code with abusive or life threatening consequences.

So yeah, maybe there are idiots on both sides, but one side certainly goes out of its way to have a far higher proportion of the human rights abuses, violence, oppression and intolerance.

This example from me is completely lacking in nuance as well, just treating it like two unified sides of belief or non-belief, which is pretty ridiculous. However, it's a somewhat hyperbolic illustration to try and have you think about what the general idiot is like on the side of 'edgy atheist', versus the general idiot on the side of religious/doctrinal law/demands. Follow this hyperbolic post up with some of my earlier posts about why it's the case atheists in Malaysia of all places maybe are being noisy, over the top and banding together. It's a form of strength in numbers protest against government officials (and apparently their fellow citizens) who seriously want to cause them violent or oppressive harm for not believing in a God.

Zakalwe

Banned
The righteousness of the terrible is a horrific thing. It's a force you simply can't reason with, and given enough numbers behind it would be one without reckoning. In every kind of bigoted view it should be feared, but when religion's been twisted like this it's truly disgusting and terrifying.

I keep telling myself that things have to get worse before they get better, that things like the advent of the internet giving voice and unity to bigoted views that had felt more isolated before are just stepping stones to our enlightenment, but progress seems to be stalling all over the world and it isn't just religion that's showing hatred on this level. The very same malice is being levelled at anyone threatening the white patriarchy: Black Lives matter is racist, Feminism is fascist, the straight white male's survival is at risk! And there are comments like the ones shown here, it's just slightly more veiled because they don't have the absolute authority of the divine. They absolutely do not feel it any less, though.

It's just hate, the darkside, full on Sithness. People get that sickness somehow and it eats them and people around them. All of this is obvious, and I'm not trying to downplay the grossness of the comments in the OP. I just find this kind of irrational hatred terrifying, and it seems to be everywhere.

When will people realize that a surefire way to strengthen a movement is to persecute it

I'd say you'd strengthen the movement a lot more by treating extremely harmful views with kid gloves instead of going at it hard. And this is actually proof of just that. You've got a high ranking official advocating hunting down atheists. Why? It's not simply because they don't fall into line with religion, but rather their voices can actually change others. Through mocking and criticism you can change some views. Maybe they'll still be religious, but they could loosen up on some of their more extreme views because they see how ridiculous they are. That's what officials like this fear. Which is why you have threats of hunting down those that would be expressing those dissenting views.

Machina

Banned
The righteousness of the terrible is a horrific thing. It's a force you simply can't reason with, and given enough numbers behind it would be one without reckoning. In every kind of bigoted view it should be feared, but when religion's been twisted like this it's truly disgusting and terrifying.

I keep telling myself that things have to get worse before they get better, that things like the advent of the internet giving voice and unity to bigoted views that had felt more isolated before are just stepping stones to our enlightenment, but progress seems to be stalling all over the world and it isn't just religion that's showing hatred on this level. The very same malice is being levelled at anyone threatening the white patriarchy: Black Lives matter is racist, Feminism is fascist, the straight white male's survival is at risk! And there are comments like the ones shown here, it's just slightly more veiled because they don't have the absolute authority of the divine. They absolutely do not feel it any less, though.

It's just hate, the darkside, full on Sithness. People get that sickness somehow and it eats them and people around them. All of this is obvious, and I'm not trying to downplay the grossness of the comments in the OP. I just find this kind of irrational hatred terrifying, and it seems to be everywhere.

Religion poisons everything

Monocle

Being an atheist means you have to be an antisocial weirdo who doesn't hang out and bond with people who share your way of thinking?

Humans are social creatures who will sieze on any common ground to connect with others. It's profoundly obtuse to equate that with religious behavior.

Get back to me when atheists knock on your door and ask you to burn your Bible and pledge your undying loyalty to Einstein.

A social gathering of like-minded individuals is a problem how? I doubt they are trying to convert theists. Seems like it would be great for dating and friendships when people know they are on the same page.

Being an atheist means you have to be an antisocial weirdo who doesn't hang out and bond with people who share your way of thinking?

Fuck all the way off.

Where did i say that?

You said that. Stop projecting.

Being an atheist means you didnt choose a side. Atheism is for yourself not to be part of a group. This is not football.

Atheism is not a defiance against religions either.

You dont need to bond with other people who do not have a religion and you shouldnt have to walk around feeling like you have to. Being from the malay race this tribal warfare situation manifests itself in so many different facets.

Me being an atheists is no ones business but mine. Walking around labelling yourself is stupid. You are a human and thats it.

If you need to bond with people go and make some friends.

Top Bottom