• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slight correction. Nick says the "higher will" told them to monitor Krista, not the other way around.

Doh, I mis-heard. Thanks for correcting me!

This changes everything! :O That means Ymir might be part of the church and monitoring her. The other way round seems more interesting (her monitoring the church) but this makes much more sense due to her "special" family background. If Ymir is really monitoring her, and If Krista ended up entering the Military Police, and Ymir being out of the top 10, she'll lose her job for sure. :S Or maybe her job is to get into top 10, and slip Krista into top 10 via some secret connection. Krista did mention she didn't think she would end up top 10...

First episode of season 2 was ok but these last two episodes have been pretty meh.

Is it better to just read the manga at this point?

I never loved the anime as much as everyone else did. The characters are all pretty meh. The single thing that carries this series is the mystery of where the Titans come from and maybe the role of Erin's father in all this.

I just rewatched the entirety of the first season and barely anything happens that moves the story or character development along.

Zoe

First episode of season 2 was ok but these last two episodes have been pretty meh.

I never loved the anime as much as everyone else did. The characters are all pretty meh. The single thing that carries this series is the mystery of where the Titans come from and maybe the role of Erin's father in all this.

I just rewatched the entirety of the first season and barely anything happens that moves the story or character development along.

If there's anything the manga is good at, it's drawing out the story. You may get some satisfaction from catching up to where it is now, but there's no conclusion in sight.

Jesus man. I came into this thread because I loved season one and just started S2 but man some of you suck the joy out of it. I hope it gets better here because the show is enjoyable and it'd be nice to discuss it.

J@hranimo

Banned
The One and Done™;234118885 said:
Jesus man. I came into this thread because I loved season one and just started S2 but man some of you suck the joy out of it. I hope it gets better here because the show is enjoyable and it'd be nice to discuss it.

The 3 episodes of S2 that are out have all been pretty good imo. Pace has been quick with no boring parts at all. Give it a watch :)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Yes, the manga is great and it's probably at it's best right now. I also tried waiting a while after season 1 ended but just said fuck it and read the manga and I don't regret it.

With the anime's schedule, your grandkids will be waiting for season 3 to come out.

The One and Done™;234118885 said:

To be fair I'm really enjoying Season 2 myself, but I find it easy to understand the disappointment. We're a quarter of the way through and we've seen very little from the MC's. It's not hard to imagine we're going to only get a small progression this season and people waited so very long for it. Doesn't mean it isn't good, but people were going to be disappointed due to the wait and short season.

Kvik

I am finally caught up to episode 3 and it's been an enjoyable watch so far. Sasha bursting out of the door in that dramatic name reveal gets a chuckle out of me. I didn't remember reading that in the manga, though.

I don't think we'll get the full lore reveal this season, however. There's still a lot of ground to cover.

To be fair I'm really enjoying Season 2 myself, but I find it easy to understand the disappointment. We're a quarter of the way through and we've seen very little from the MC's. It's not hard to imagine we're going to only get a small progression this season and people waited so very long for it. Doesn't mean it isn't good, but people were going to be disappointed due to the wait and short season.

I suppose. But a large portion of that is people's own expectations clouding their judgement. Maybe it's because there are a lot of manga readers but as someone who's not reading the manga, I'm really enjoying it and very intrigued by this universe.

Also regarding the apparent "animation issues", I must be totally blind because I love the art style and animation. There really isn't any other show it reminds me of. It has its own visuals.

I've read the manga, but I think these episodes have been really well done. The direction is pretty damn good. The scouts going along the wall just by the light of their torches was incredibly tense. Sure, there is some bad animation going on with the use of CGI and some stills, but honestly, I don't have a problem with it. Those shortcuts are usually happening for establishing shots. If the Sasha fight happened with stills and CG, I'd be mad, but a quick shot of soldiers on horseback isn't going to break the series for me.

I don't really have a problem with the animation. I guess I'm not sensitive to it? Maybe I don't have the experience to determine what is good and bad animation. I'm watching Dragon Ball Super now too (maybe that's a low bar, I wouldn't know), and Attack on Titan looks way better than that to me. I'm really liking Season 2 so far. They are really going hard with the mysteries way more than they did in Season 1. They made it really intriguing to me more so than the Female Titan's identity was in the first season. Heck it's kinda hard to remember that the basement is the real goal with all of these questions being raised.

I've really enjoyed these first three episodes. I like them better than the first season. I feel like the mystery is more compelling this time. Less overall yelling and more horror. I find the titans unbelievably disturbing at times and really effective.

I've really enjoyed these first three episodes. I like them better than the first season. I feel like the mystery is more compelling this time. Less overall yelling and more horror. I find the titans unbelievably disturbing at times and really effective.

Yeah the part where they start picking up speed for no reason was pretty creepy.

Also when the crew realize those Titans didn't need to stop moving at night.

Looking forward to the next episode, but man I've missed Eren kicking ass. Hope we get some of those heavy hitting episodes soon.

I am enjoying the mystery parts of this world so much, so many questions, who build those walls? that giant talking monkey! how is that possible? Titans can walk at night?
It's like all these rules that were laid out last season are being shattered.
It's like watching LOST all over again.

kirblar

I am enjoying the mystery parts of this world so much, so many questions, who build those walls? that giant talking monkey! how is that possible? Titans can walk at night?
It's like all these rules that were laid out last season are being shattered.
It's like watching LOST all over again.
Unlike LOST, there actually is a series bible here.

Auctopus

Surprised by this thread, i thought the tone of the last two episodes have been more interesting than a lot of Season 1. Glad we're exploring more than repetitive Titan fights.

Not that I'm against action but I really like the moments like the
abandoned village with the mother being eaten in front of the daughter before the ensuing escape and fight

BizzyBum

Surprised by this thread, i thought the tone of the last two episodes have been more interesting than a lot of Season 1. Glad we're exploring more than repetitive Titan fights.

Yeah, I agree with this. I was actually disappointed with the S2 opener (probably because I overhyped it after a 4 year wait) but after watching all 3 episodes so far I am now digging this season. The best parts of S1 were before Eren turned into the Titan, IMO. It was a more gritty and grounded "we're all fucked" experience. This season is returning to that and even being more horror than action. I'm sure we'll go back to magical Titan fighting pretty soon, though.

So Conny definitely heard that Titan speak and wasn't hallucinating, right? I already deduced that the villagers were turning into Titans during the last episode but this episode with Conny's "welcome home" plus that commander's inner monologue at the beginning in the village plus finding no holes in the wall pretty much confirms it.

Also I believe Reiner heard it too but dismissed it as nothing because
I am 99% certain he's the steel Titan and in on this.

Not that I'm against action but I really like the moments like the
abandoned village with the mother being eaten in front of the daughter before the ensuing escape and fight
That kind of scene is what drew me into the series the first place. Seeing Smiles pluck Erens mom out of the rubble to eat her. Goddamn that was brutal.

rizzo0

So maybe I'm forgetting something but right before the titans came at the end , blonde hair dude had a scary ass look on his face while holding a bracelet or something couldn't really tell and then he was asking Ymir about it, THEN she looks back at him with some even weirder face...wtf was that about? Lol

DarkKyo

So maybe I'm forgetting something but right before the titans came at the end , blonde hair dude had a scary ass look on his face while holding a bracelet or something couldn't really tell and then he was asking Ymir about it, THEN she looks back at him with some even weirder face...wtf was that about? Lol

They are definitely setting something up to happen in the next few episodes I would say. The characters are clearly reacting to things that the viewer doesn't know about yet.

The fact that it spoke and called itself a subject of something.

But what was intriguing for me was:

The Titan's devotion and dedication to wait for "you know who" for all these years at the same spot, I wanted to know why and what the relationship between those 2 was, for me that was more intriguing that the Titan speaking

We do, yes.

Volume 22, episode 89.

Thank you,
I was like, what?? don't blue ball me like that!

Current manga spoilers:
I was answering the question literally. We don't see the origins of that specific titan.

When I asked if we get to know more about him, I didn't mean him in particular but more about his odd behavior, his devotion for waiting for an specific person etc

So why is this OVA A crucial since none of the events touched in it will be expanded upon?

After watching you know Titan's can speak before meeting the Beast Titan but also that they hold a huge reverence for Ymir, whoever she may be.
So at the end of the most recent episode we find out that Ymir is in fact somebody we know, she was one of the trainees and has been around since the beginning of the first season. There's also the implication with this that she could also be a titan, so Annie wasn't the only one. That's pretty huge.
It also makes the shot of Hanji reacting to the name 'Ymir' make sense too.

pbayne

Caught up on season 2 so far and its been pretty good so far.
I remember not liking these parts in the manga too much but i think the anime has done a very good job reestablishing some dread and tension. Actually making the regular titans seem scary/threatening again i think was important because they were slowly becoming chumps by the end of season 1.

I've been enjoying season 2. I have one pet peeve though: it's become obvious at this point that once some rule about how the titans behave or what they're capable of is established, you're only a few episodes away from some new titan showing up to be the exception to that rule. I don't know how long that trick will keep working. It's still interesting for now, but I hope they don't just fall into a formula with that trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom