• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

All Eren needs to do is to create an opening for Mikasa to slice Reiner's nape open. Although I have no idea how she can actually pierce the armor.

Unbounded

Only Bertholdt was looking at the wall

Edit: Regardless all this OP/ED analyzing I feel is reaching (regardless of the end result), I've seen many other OPs/EDs that give things away blatantly so personally I'm not one to go heavy into them beyond looking at the scenes/characters/etc. whilst listening to the track playing.

The OP's and ED's for this series have been pretty blatant.

"Hey guys, to this side of the wall we have all of our good guys. To the other side of the wall we have bad guys."

"Hey guys, titans so far have tended to have at least some similarities to their human counterpart. We had a blonde female titan, and it was made by a blonde female human. What a coincidence, right?"

"Huh. That armored Titan is a fucking tank and only one character has constantly been played up as a tank, but hey! Total coincidence! He's also to that side of the wall that's been designated: "bad guy side", but that's probably just a coincidence. He also has the exact same hairstyle, build, and general look that not a single other character in this show has had so far, but yknow..."

"Oh, in that one OVA the titan said "Ymir-sama", we happen to have a character named Ymir, and she's also on "bad guy side". Neato."

"By the way, Reiner, Ymir, Historia, and Bertolt don't show up with the rest of the squad in the opening, but why is that? Who knows!"

"Oh also he didn't get crushed by the female titan, but hey. Shit happens. Sometimes when you have someone literally the size of the palm of your hand in a vicegrip they manage to helicopter their way out. You get so shook that you just run towards the guy you know can actually turn into a titan."

They were like two steps short of blaring out "HEY GUYS, THESE ARE THE TITANS!!!" on the rooftops.

If only muh Petra was a titan ;_;

Petra lives in our hearts
on a tree

3884007-ibjvsksgmtehk1.gif

The OP's and ED's for this series have been pretty blatant.

"Hey guys, to this side of the wall we have all of our good guys. To the other side of the wall we have bad guys."

"Hey guys, titans so far have tended to have at least some similarities to their human counterpart. We had a blonde female titan, and it was made by a blonde female human. What a coincidence, right?"

"Huh. That armored Titan is a fucking tank and only one character has constantly been played up as a tank, but hey! Total coincidence! He's also to that side of the wall that's been designated: "bad guy side", but that's probably just a coincidence. He also has the exact same hairstyle, build, and general look that not a single other character in this show has had so far, but yknow..."

"Oh, in that one OVA the titan said "Ymir-sama", we happen to have a character named Ymir, and she's also on "bad guy side". Neato."

"By the way, Reiner, Ymir, Historia, and Bertolt don't show up with the rest of the squad in the opening, but why is that? Who knows!"

"Oh also he didn't get crushed by the female titan, but hey. Shit happens. Sometimes when you have someone literally the size of the palm of your hand in a vicegrip they manage to helicopter their way out. You get so shook that you just run towards the guy you know can actually turn into a titan."

They were like two steps short of blaring out "HEY GUYS, THESE ARE THE TITANS!!!" on the rooftops.

For me the only Titan that as obv (aside from Annie) was Reiner due to his design being similar to the Armored Titan, but again I've admitted that I went into a false sense of security due to how Reiner was portrayed in this season, especially so with the last episode in Reiner/Bertholdt having flashbacks of a Ymir-lookalike devouring their friend way back then.

But anyways, half your post isn't even addressing stuff from the OP/ED. Reiner helicoptering out of AnnieTitan's hand is within the actual episodes, I never watched the OVA, within the 2nd OP Reiner, Annie, Ymir, Christa, Bertdholdt are all present so I'm not sure where you're going with this, etc.

kurahador

I really love that reveal and being nonchalant is really effective in anime considering how much obvious Reiner being a Titan was due to the hair and coloring.
And they really did the last scene justice.

At the start of this season knowing it'll be 12 episodes, I was afraid it was going to end at this point (already forgot most of the manga already). Glad I was wrong. Next few weeks is going to be awesome.

This reaction was perfect
Starts off thinking its a chill episode and talks about how reiner is his favourite before it all comes crashing down. The scream when Mikasa slices reiner is great.

LOL, love it!

Quoting this because it was another moment that someone caught from earlier in the season.

Bertholdt about to bite himself to transform when Ymir jumped up on top of the tower.

YOOOOO!!!

BizzyBum

Holy fuck what an episode.

That was the most nonchalant megaton reveal I think I ever witnessed. Fucking amazing they even had it during another conversation going on with the subtitles. I think everyone had to pause and go back with that one.

I was super disciplined and stayed spoiler free, however I knew with like 99% certainty that Reiner was the armored titan since early in season 1, honestly. I didn't pick up on a lot of the hints that people are now posting but they just looked way too similar, especially with the buzz cut hairstyle. But Bertholdt as the colossal? Holy shit I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years.

Next episode is going to be ridiculous.

Next week: MID BOSS FIGHT.

$5 says Eren botched the fight yet again.
Not really a fair fight when the other is already claimed as the ARMORED titan XD
Eren got his ass handed a lot of times by Annie and only barely manage to beat her by going anime canon berserk.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Holy fuck what an episode.

That was the most nonchalant megaton reveal I think I ever witnessed. Fucking amazing they even had it during another conversation going on with the subtitles. I think everyone had to pause and go back with that one.

I was super disciplined and stayed spoiler free, however I knew with like 99% certainty that Reiner was the armored titan since early in season 1, honestly. I didn't pick up on a lot of the hints that people are now posting but they just looked way too similar, especially with the buzz cut hairstyle. But Bertholdt as the colossal? Holy shit I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years.

Next episode is going to be ridiculous.
Hell yes to this. I loved going HOLY SHIT wait what after reading subtitles lol. They did a damn fine job with this reveal. Hyped for the next one as well!

Kvik

Not really a fair fight when the other is already claimed as the ARMORED titan XD
Eren got his ass handed a lot of times by Annie and only barely manage to beat her by going anime canon berserk.

I've re-watched the next week preview, and it looks like (preview spoiler)
half of Eren's titan face is melted, whether he actually managed to take down Reiner before it happens remains to be seen

It'll be a miracle if everyone came out unscathed.

DarkKyo

I've re-watched the next week preview, and it looks like (preview spoiler)
half of Eren's titan face is melted, whether he actually managed to take down Reiner before it happens remains to be seen

It'll be a miracle if everyone came out unscathed.

Eren's really gotta start getting better at (not a spoiler but is referring to Kvik's preview spoiler text)
the whole body-regen-during-battle thing. Female titan was able to heal perfectly given the time and concentration, meanwhile Eren is famous for losing massive chunks of his titan during battle yet he can't stop attacking to heal up.

I knew this was going to be Junk Putty before I even clicked it. That guy has great reactions.

Yo! Who JunkPutty fan in here? I love this guy, such good vibes man. After finishing the episode I got anxious waiting for his reaction, an added bonus every time. He's also done great reactions to other anime and he's so genuine, his Your Lie in April reactions are gold.

Lol 12hrs later, I still cant believe how nonchalantly Reiner gave that reveal.
low key one of my favorite reveals ever.

Ok so I just re-watched ending of ep 1. Anyone think Eren's mom was killed by a human titan? I'm trying to think who has that hair style now, or facial structure... :\ At this point I feel like Oprah except "you're a human, he's a human titan, everyone's a human titan!!!!"

Kvik

Eren's really gotta start getting better at (not a spoiler but is referring to Kvik's preview spoiler text)
the whole body-regen-during-battle thing. Female titan was able to heal perfectly given the time and concentration, meanwhile Eren is famous for losing massive chunks of his titan during battle yet he can't stop attacking to heal up.

Eren fight like a younger man, with nothing held back. Admirable, but mistaken.

But seriously, I can't see Eren winning this fight. He's going to be more agile, sure. But Reiner can just tank and soak the damage, that is if Eren's blows manage to shed Reiner's armor.

Anyone think Eren's mom was killed by a human titan? I'm trying to think who has that hair style now, or facial structure... :\ At this point I feel like Oprah except "you're a human, he's a human titan, everyone's a human titan!!!!"

I doubt it. Shifters kills, sure, but they don't eat. Only mob titans eat indiscriminately.

dani_dc

Eren fight like a younger man, with nothing held back. Admirable, but mistaken.

But seriously, I can't see Eren winning this fight. He's going to be more agile, sure. But Reiner can just tank and soak the damage, that is if Eren's blows manage to shed Reiner's armor.

Let's not forget that Reiner skills are second only to Mikasa (who's on a class of her own).

zY4OcnO.jpg

ElyrionX

I completely forgot what the Armoured Titan did in S1. Was he the one who broke the wall that Eren subsequently sealed in his Titan form?

I read the nonchalant reveal as being a concession to the fact that anybody paying attention will already know the twist, so it would be farcical to play it in a typical 'twist!' style. I'm surprised it caught so many off-guard.

I'm also surprised so many enjoy reaction videos, fuck me...

It's pretty vain, but I find it useful. Filmmakers would screen versions of their movies for audiences and watch their reactions to see when they gasped, when they clutched their armrests, or shouted in triumph. With this episode, everyone has a consistent reaction to certain moments.

These reactions are natural and spontaneous though. These other guys know there's a camera on them and are forced to react otherwise they have no video. It's not genuine.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
With the way armour titan broke down that wall, I also failed to see the purpose of a wall or gate at all when he's around. He just smashes right through it and I can't see any existing walls in their world able to withstand his attack.

mileS

As far as how nonchalant the reveal was I think its important to remember how Bertolt was looking at Reiner. He didn't want him to do that clearly. Also Reiner clearly didn't want to handle things that way either. You can tell he's conflicted or may even have a personality disorder at this point.

Erigu

I completely forgot what the Armoured Titan did in S1. Was he the one who broke the wall that Eren subsequently sealed in his Titan form?
No, that was the Colossal Titan.
The Armored Titan didn't show up then, but he did five years prior, when he and the Colossal Titan breached Wall Maria.

Cuburt

Starts off thinking its a chill episode and talks about how reiner is his favourite before it all comes crashing down. The scream when Mikasa slices reiner is great.
The reactions to this episode were entertaining for the reasons you'd expect but this was on some whole other shit.

I actually thought Eren's reaction didn't seem so believable when I saw the episode since they had all the evidence and a confession yet Eren is completely in shock and in denial when the truth is right in front of his face. This dude single-handedly convinced me that Eren's reaction is well done since he so thoroughly feels that betrayal, it's pretty hilarious to see how closely his reaction actually mirrored that of Eren's.

"That was not a chill episode." lol

Joni

No, that was the Colossal Titan.
The Armored Titan didn't show up then, but he did five years prior, when he and the Colossal Titan breached Wall Maria.

Indeed. Colossal Titan breaks the outside gate, that allows titans to run into the city. Armored Titan breaks the internal gate after that. The gate between the city and the next walled area. I don't know why they can't do both themselves.

You know you're fucked when a titan is capable of the anime-ninja run.

She actually had a reason to run like that. The elite team sliced through a bunch of her muscles so she couldn't move her arms. Which is also why she kicks Petra like that. Love that whole sequence.

kurahador

With the way armour titan broke down that wall, I also failed to see the purpose of a wall or gate at all when he's around. He just smashes right through it and I can't see any existing walls in their world able to withstand his attack.

IIRC, all the wall that has been broken into so far seems to be the area around the gate.
I don't think the other part of the wall is easily penetrable.

gconsole

I didn't realize so many people recorded themselves watching Attack on Titan.

It is called reaction video. And you have reaction for everything now, not just movie or show.

It's a young person thing where everything you do in life has to be observed by someone else in order to have any value.

And I don't know why old people like you feel the need to insult young people thing. It doesn't make any harm, and it's quite entertaining seeing other people react to the same thing you had before, that's why it becomes so popular now. You comment has less value than the reaction video.

jediyoshi

Characters have explicitly discussed this earlier this season. The only parts that have been vulnerable are the gates themselves. They floated the possibility that embedded titans give strength to the walls.

It's a young person thing where everything you do in life has to be observed by someone else in order to have any value.

I think legally you're not allowed to call out 'young people' in the off topic section of a gaming forum discussing an anime.

That was hilarious. The way he outright pauses to tell us how awesome Reiner is, in particular for slicing through the female Titan's hand and saving Armin, just for those particular elements to be turned around

laugh.gif

re-watching season 1. episode 10 after eren semi transforms and blocks the canon shot, reiner, Bertholdt and annie immediately get their odm gear and go over the wall to see what happened to eren
whoo.png

DarkKyo

She actually had a reason to run like that. The elite team sliced through a bunch of her muscles so she couldn't move her arms. Which is also why she kicks Petra like that. Love that whole sequence.

Wow you're right, I totally forgot. Seeing it out of context just made me think it was an intentional move.

I think legally you're not allowed to call out 'young people' in the off topic section of a gaming forum discussing an anime.

I think you are probably right. Sorry to those who like reaction vids, it's not really my place to comment on what the next generation is into.

Watching Reiner's breakdown again, it seems like he's conflicted between his original mission and his affection for his friends. They make a clear distinction between his duty as a warrior and a soldier. He says something like if he didn't know there were people like them (presumably speaking of his friends), he wouldn't have been so "half-assed," which in this context I feel means bailing on his original mission. He offers Eren a chance to come with him so he won't have to destroy anymore walls or people, leading to his belief that he is "half-assing" what he was sent there to do. When Eren declines, Reiner decides to go all in on his warrior side.

aBarreras

i dont watch the anime, i read the manga, so the thing that happened i read it a lot time ago, but last night my brother was watching last night episode, and god damn, i love Mikasa hahaha

she is everything Eren will never be

DO people really want Eren to be OP? Eren even in Titan form isn't the best.

we want him to not be Shinji Ikari and shit his pants everytime something bad happens

You can not expect Eren's titan form to own everybody let alone more experienced Titan users, he IS getting better as he learns to control and channel his Titan form, there is this raw/pure strength Eren's Titan has that no other Titan seems to have, other Titans have more experience going for them but that gap is closing.

SRG01

Watching Reiner's breakdown again, it seems like he's conflicted between his original mission and his affection for his friends. They make a clear distinction between his duty as a warrior and a soldier. He says something like if he didn't know there were people like them (presumably speaking of his friends), he wouldn't have been so "half-assed," which in this context I feel means bailing on his original mission. He offers Eren a chance to come with him so he won't have to destroy anymore walls or people, leading to his belief that he is "half-assing" what he was sent there to do. When Eren declines, Reiner decides to go all in on his warrior side.

There's a lot I still don't understand about all of this. Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie are working for someone, but who? More importantly, why would these new titans come after them if they're titans too?

Also, Reiner didn't know Ymir was a titan... so where did she come from?

There's a lot I still don't understand about all of this. Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie are working for someone, but who? More importantly, why would these new titans come after them if they're titans too?

Also, Reiner didn't know Ymir was a titan... so where did she come from?

All in due time, we will get our answers for all this, the creator is not making things up/improvising ala LOST.

Socivol

That was a good episode AoT is one of the only anime shows I wish that would give you more filler episodes to really flesh out the characters. It seems like everything is happening extremely quickly and you never have time to digest what just happened. I have a question though, how did Hange know that Historia's last name was Reiss? She didn't mention that only that her name was Historia. How did Hange also know that she was royalty just by hearing her first name?

I just rewatched the episode again. The way Hange casually mentioned in the middle of the ep about the titans possibly boring a hole underground to get in while Reiner just dropped the bomb on Eren. Which was the trap they want to set up for Bert and Reiner in the flashback. This episode is so good.gif

IKizzLE

To put shit into perspective...

It has only been a day and a half since Eren fought the Female Titan.
In the span of 36 hours, Eren found out 4 of his friends have the same power as him.

I just rewatched the episode again. The way Hange casually mentioned in the middle of the ep about the titans possibly boring a hole underground to get in while Reiner just dropped the bomb on Eren. Which was the trap they want to set up for Bert and Reiner in the flashback. This episode is so good.gif

Regarding the hole underground: we know is impossible based on the short story presented before/after the break in ep. 25. Nice catch regarding Hange's trap though.

The flashback might also be the reason why Armin is doing that side death stare earlier in the episode, because he doesn't really know what/how to react. If you're trying to hide something, you don't just suddenly allude to it when it's unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom