• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeb

you guys are going to get hit by some mind-blowing reveals, though most of them will likely be in seasons 3 and 4.

Can we please not do this?

Enough hinting, it says clearly in the OP, you guys may not get this, but your raising expectations and reducing shock value.

Please at minimum, spoiler tag it.

zeshakag

One thing I forgot to mention is that during Eren's monologie/flashbacks might've been the rare (if not only) time I've felt sympathy for our "supposed" MC, dem tear animations

Also really felt for Bertholdt here with tears/fear in his eyes as he gets attacked by Mikasa
My Colossal Titan can't be this cute

Cd0EfuJ.gif

Yeah. Eren was very sympathetic in this particular moment. He wanted very hard to believe that Reiner and Berthold were good, refusing even to buy it during the flashback secret meeting. So much so that his reaction was calm denial until Mikasa took action.

An anime/tv trope I don't like is when flashbacks are from the show's POV, aka just previous clips. I know this is due to budget constraints, but I feel flashback slides would be much more compelling if you just drew out those flashbacks from the flasherbacker's POV.

b39a342d6bc7a6530d66307631382683e1eea99c_hq.gif

It's your fault Annie got caught Reiner.

ZdkDzk

I never picked up on Reiner looking like their Titan forms, but the way Reiner kept misdirecting Connie and the constant reaction shots from Bert made them really suspicious.

I love how in sync the audience and the characters are during the reveal. It was becoming incredibly obvious that Rein and Bert are titans to both the characters and audience, and we're both getting ready for things to get tense, Reiner just says it and leaves everyone shocked.

I also love how them knowing and trying to capture Rein and Bert retroactively explains why that first conversation was so awkward and weird (Since there's no hole, I guess we should just go home RIGHT NOW and worry about the mystery titans later). It's stuff like that that show how well thought out the show is. It's the first anime in a long time that actually feels like a mystery, rather than just a show with mysteries in it.

On a side note, everyone keeps saying that Ymir is the one who killed Regime's friend, but they have different teeth. Flashback titan has flat, human teeth like most titans, but Ymir has razor sharp teeth like the Beast Titan. I doubt it's an animation error since they show the flashback twice. So either Ymir's titan form changed over time, or there's another Titan that looks nearly identical to Ymir.

A scene with both

The more I think about it, the more I like how the reveal was done. It drops the bombshell on you without any fanfare or dramatics. The twist eschews any narrative convention that usually comes with twists. In fact, the episode keeps going as if nothing happened and makes you question if that nuke of information really did explode. And then Reiner just flatly says that he's the Armored Titan and Bertholdt's the Colossal. Meanwhile, you got Mikasa hanging back, she clearly heard it, but she's trying to maintain the facade that they came up with to trap the two underground.

And then hell breaks loose.

LordOfChaos

One thing I forgot to mention is that during Eren's monologie/flashbacks might've been the rare (if not only) time I've felt sympathy for our "supposed" MC, dem tear animations
QySz7LH.gif

Felt the same way, this might have been the one time I felt for Eren. I'd usually been in it more for everyone around him.

K' Dash

Man I really wish the story would move FORWARD, 25 minutes of nothing and a mind-blowing Revelation doesn't make for a good show, fuck this.

ElyrionX

I don't get Reiner freaking out. What's going on with him in that scene.

I've never read the manga but is it possible that the Titans built the wall to herd the humans as a food source? Though if that's the logic then I'm not sure why they would suddenly want to wipe them out.

ElyrionX

Honestly surprised so many people were surprised about Reiner and Bert. I thought it was obvious way back in the first season. I thought the casualness here was a nice acknowledgement that "yeah it's just time to admit this and stop pretending you don't know".

I don't get this. What kind of hints were there? If some of the stuff posted in here like the scene with Reiner drinking from his cup when Eren mentioned the Armoured Titan are supposed to be hints, then any goddamn person can be a Titan. WTF. Those are way too subtle to be hints and could have meant literally anything.

FluxWaveZ

I don't get Reiner freaking out. What's going on with him in that scene.

It was put nicely here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235937587&postcount=979

The more I think about it, the more I like how the reveal was done. It drops the bombshell on you without any fanfare or dramatics. The twist eschews any narrative convention that usually comes with twists. In fact, the episode keeps going as if nothing happened and makes you question if that nuke of information really did explode. And then Reiner just flatly says that he's the Armored Titan and Bertholdt's the Colossal. Meanwhile, you got Mikasa hanging back, she clearly heard it, but she's trying to maintain the facade that they came up with to trap the two underground.

And then hell breaks loose.

I immediately liked how they pulled off the reveal. Big twists having a grandiose presentation can kill off some of the impact through how predictable it's conveyed, ironically enough. Subverting that really makes the audience go "wtf" and think about what they just read/heard in a way that a "proper" reveal wouldn't.

How the crucial dialogue is sandwiched between non-essential dialogue, how the focal points of the reveal are shoved aside as the camera pans away from them, how quickly Reiner's lines are delivered after "We need to talk,"... I really enjoy it.

It was put nicely here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235937587&postcount=979

I immediately liked how they pulled off the reveal. Big twists having a grandiose presentation can kill off some of the impact through how predictable it's conveyed, ironically enough. Subverting that really makes the audience go "wtf" and think about what they just read/heard in a way that a "proper" reveal wouldn't.

How the crucial dialogue is sandwiched between non-essential dialogue, how the focal points of the reveal are shoved aside as the camera pans away from them, how quickly Reiner's lines are delivered after "We need to talk,"... I really enjoy it.

Yeah, everythign about that scene deemphasizes the reveal. The camera panning away and pulled way too far back even when Reiner says that he's the Armored Titan. There is movement, but not from the ones who matter, but from Armin, Hange, and the others and they are moving away from Eren, Reiner and Bertholdt. It's using an establishing shot to drop this big piece of information. I love it.

jm89

Man I really wish the story would move FORWARD, 25 minutes of nothing and a mind-blowing Revelation doesn't make for a good show, fuck this.

I think the pace they are going at it is pretty good, i was expecting the reiner and bertholdt revelation to happen at the end of the season.

I love reading this thread after a big episode like this and seeing everyone's theories for what's going to happen next and examining every scene from previous episodes.

Some of you are so far off and others are so close

Was it really a surprise to any of you guys? Reiner looks a lot like the titan and somehow didn't die when he was in Annie's grasp.

FluxWaveZ

Was it really a surprise to any of you guys? Reiner looks a lot like the titan and somehow didn't die when he was in Annie's grasp.

It was for me, yeah, especially after how long it's been since the last season. I don't spend too much time thinking about where the story might go and I just let it lead me along, so I didn't look into the hair styles of the titans or anything. Nothing about Reiner and his buddy particularly alarmed me (except for maybe how he just lifted a titan who bit him in a recent episode), especially after their flashback to who was presumably their friend getting eaten by a titan.

Auctopus

Whilst I had guessed who the other titans were, could someone explain the scene where the link everything up as to who it is? I somehow lost the script a little there.

Brakke

Banned
Not going to speak to the actual content of the new ending sequence, but the stuff that's in there relates to stuff that the anime won't get to for at least another season or two. Only reason they can get away with it is because it's so far out that there are zero clues to its context in the anime so far. I wouldn't even read into it too much because I'd be hard-pressed to call anything in that ED sequence "spoilers" because its designed to be extremely vague, but you're definitely on the right track in looking for clues in there.

Fuuuuuuck right off with posts like this. Can't believe y'all still doing this.

Manga readers just don't post if y'all can't keep yourselves under control.

any goddamn person can be a Titan

Well yeah, probably. At least now you're getting it!

Whilst I had guessed who the other titans were, could someone explain the scene where the link everything up as to who it is? I somehow lost the script a little there.

After it was discovered that Annie was the Female Titan, they began to do research into the other recruits from her class and found that Reiner's and Bertholdt's history was spotty just like hers and they all hailed from the same area as Annie.

Another high point in the series, next episode will be epic as well. (everyone loves fighting titans). Cgi Colossal was kinda annoying, and I hope they show Reiners arm being cut off more clearly in the blurays. Music never disappoints, only 6 more episodes left still makes me mad as hell.

I mean, it was a great episode but I again feel like we barely know any more than we did going into the episode.

Why did Reiner want to destroy humanity and why is happy to give that up if Eren returns with him?

And I kinda guessed Reiner was the armoured Titan (he looks just like him), the other guy being a colossus Titan was cool I guess, but what more do we know?

The Titans have a home or is it just Reiner and his friend who used to have a home? I'm trying to remain patient and I'm hoping for more answers next week, but this drip feed is frustrating to say the least...

mm04

WHAT THE F@$%! Damn, that was a great episode. I felt betrayal like Eren did on that reveal. Now I'm going to have to re-watch Season 1 dammit. They've actually done a good job of not showing Eren as a Titan at all this season because when the right opportunity finally arose at the end of this episode for him to transform, I was friggin' pumped. Of course, to be continued right at that moment. And Mikasa is stone cold. Holy crap, her ruthlessness on anything Titan-related and wanting to protect Eren is almost scary...and I loved it. Bertholdt gasping for air after having his neck slit and she standing over him for the killing blow was like wow.

DarkKyo

Fuuuuuuck right off with posts like this. Can't believe y'all still doing this.

Isn't that just stating the obvious though? Look at all the hidden stuff that's in season 1 openings and endings that make sense now, it's just the way the show is.
After it was discovered that Annie was the Female Titan, they began to do research into the other recruits from her class and found that Reiner's and Bertholdt's history was spotty just like hers and they all hailed from the same area as Annie.

Also what I found weird was Reiner and Bert were missing completely from the last altercation with the Female Titan. I assume they were just in another town at the time, but it seems pretty convenient that they were gone from the last couple episodes of season 1 while their comrade was getting beat to hell by the humans.

KarmaCow

Yeah, what do people want lol?

Eh, I sorta get it. This episode was dealing with the fallout of the fight from the last episode (and even had a two minute long recap for some bizarre reason), then they just casually dropped the huge reveal, flashed back to build up what was already revealed, and then cut right at the climax. Now it could be way worse, since stuff is happening but it tends to feel like the current episode is always teasing at something while the next episode will have the satisfying conclusion. It's kinda draining.

Erigu

what I found weird was Reiner and Bert were missing completely from the last altercation with the Female Titan. I assume they were just in another town at the time
You should know where they were and why. Watch the first episode of Season 2 again.

Brakke

Banned
Isn't that just stating the obvious though? Look at all the hidden stuff that's in season 1 openings and endings that make sense now, it's just the way the show is.

It was also obvious that Reiner was Armor Titan but there I am a couple weeks ago getting a pile of nasty PMs from lunatics because manga reader innuendo got people on edge.

Just keep manga shit to yourself or leave the thread. It's so easy.

DarkKyo

It was also obvious that Reiner was Armor Titan but there I am a couple weeks ago getting a pile of nasty PMs from lunatics because manga reader innuendo got people on edge.

Isn't that on you for throwing out speculation in a factual way? You got everyone in a panic and then blamed manga readers for trying to tell them you didn't know shit.

I'm hyper sensitive about spoilers and have never dropped a spoiler regarding any franchise, game, show, etc on these forums. I can guarantee you that.

You should know where they were and why. Watch the first episode of Season 2 again.

Really?? I guess I'm having trouble placing that, I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, what do people want lol?

People want the TL;DR version. It happens the same with some novels. People want the abridged version, where all the the important things happen one after another, without pause, that way they don't have wait.
It doesn't matter they would have to teleport characters or skip time in some places, that it would lose any sense of realism with a rushed pace, that character would suffer if you don't have time for characterization of secondary characters, that it would lose things like suspense or drama if you eliminate the slow build-up phase.

And the funny thing, it's never fast enough for them. Even discounting this episode, we just came out of a previous episode with both titan action (which people always complain when they don't have it) and plot reveals (Ymir) and they are already complaining.

IJoel

Watching the S1 episode where Eren first turns again is awesome. So many shots with Annie, Bert, and Reiner together. Watching their expressions - it ties in so very well with the current state of events.

jediyoshi

Watching the S1 episode where Eren first turns again is awesome. So many shots with Annie, Bert, and Reiner together. Watching their expressions - it ties in so very well with the current state of events.

This could probably just be a happy coincidence, but I'd like to think this was very deliberate

iYEQTGe.png

Only reason I sympathize a little with them is because it's only 12 episodes after a years-long wait.
I can understand that, but the story got moved forward with this reveal.

The Survey Corps mission right now, aside from plugging the hole and getting to the basement, is to figure who Annie is working for and to see if anyone else is working with her. Then were given the information regarding Reiner and Bertholdt and they want Eren for reasons. The story is moving forward.

Brakke

Banned
I remembered when the one scout gets eaten last ep, they replayed her in the intro to this one, she yells like "Father, no!". That was supposed to be a "Lord Our Father" or a crying-for-mommy kind of thing, right? That lady didn't actually recognize the Titan as her actual dad, yeah?

kirblar

I remembered when the one scout gets eaten last ep, they replayed her in the intro to this one, she yells like "Father, no!". That was supposed to be a "Lord Our Father" or a crying-for-mommy kind of thing, right? That lady didn't actually recognize the Titan as her actual dad, yeah?
It seemed like some sort of child abuse/PTSD type deal.

Pretty sure it was her having a PTSD moment and recalling a shitty childhood somewhat. Gonna have to go to manga readers for that but I'm pretty sure religion in the series is very adhered to the whole Wall-religion stuff.

Brakke

Banned
It seemed like some sort of child abuse/PTSD type deal.

Oh shit, duh. Damn what a bummer of a way to go.

Pretty sure it was her having a PTSD moment and recalling a shitty childhood somewhat. Gonna have to go to manga readers for that but I'm pretty sure religion in the series is very adhered to the whole Wall-religion stuff.

Yeah makes sense. I didn't think she was praying or whatever, just coulda been a generic exclamation. Like when Grandpa Jojo shouts "oh my god!!" in Stardust Crusaders, that's not religious.

Sometimes I have a hard time with subs and getting inflection.

kirblar

The line is actually an addition to the Anime. Not quite sure what they were going for w/ it.

I hear stuff's happening but I haven't even started season 2 yet due to work. That will soon be over though and I plan to marathon season 1 again then go straight to 2 since it's been a long while.

usp84

I hear stuff's happening but I haven't even started season 2 yet due to work. That will soon be over though and I plan to marathon season 1 again then go straight to 2 since it's been a long while.

If you want to watch season 1 again then do it after you watch season 2

Xbro

Here's what I was talking about. This is preceded by Annie asking Reiner 'What now?'. I think in one of the translations(I believe the official) he says "wait for them to gather"

This is episode 7

88random

I like how they did that reveal scene, especially all those effects. The manga looks a little bit bland, it isn't very good artistically.

For those who want all the answers so soon I can say only one thing: Be very, very, very patient. The mistery is part of why this manga/anime is so good to follow.

Also, don't attack Kyo for those stuff about the ED, there's absolutely no reason to.

Don't count on us for that, that "father" thing wasn't in the manga.

The line is actually an addition to the Anime. Not quite sure what they were going for w/ it.

That's interesting, still, I appreciate it. Coupled with ending of the first episode it drives home the theme that even these veteran scouts are still vulnerable to fear/terror the Titans invoke when they're about to kill you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom