• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the last name: I found out from an action figure. No need for someone to have gone in on manga or wikis or anything just normal related products.

But it's also one of the reasons I don't post in threads like this. Because it's hard to separate out small details like that which can be big spoilers for people.
Funnily enough I just got these 2 yesterday, and Levi is just Levi on the box while Mikasa's full name is displayed on her box

img_8322royvp.jpg

I just watched the OVA's again (all 5) there is no mention of this, In fact he (Levi) just introduces himself to the Survey Corps as just Levi while his 2 friends use their complete names.

BizzyBum

Well, whatever. Let's stop talking about it so other people aren't spoiled by it coming in.

If something else slips I won't be visiting this thread anymore.

I swear if Christa/Historia turns out to be a titan I'm done. Well, not really but the show will have to do some great convincing for me.

I'm fine as long as the next human-titan reveal is not from 104 cadets, then I'm good. I don't mind if Krista turns out to be one after that.

But I think we're done with new human-titans for a while, since Beasty ran away (if he ends up being a human-titan), and we have 5 shifters now. This depends on how Armored and Colossal's kidnapping goes though. If they end up running back to "homeland/hometown", then I won't be surprised if we see more of them.

I have a different read of the Mikasa and Eren reaction to Reiner's confession. I believe Eren's "I don't believe you" is just him giving Reiner a chance to take back the confession and allow the group to still get both Reiner and Bertholdt underground. Mikasa is listening to see if it works and only attacking when she realizes Reiner is not going to back down from this confrontation.

RangerBAD

I have a different read of the Mikasa and Eren reaction to Reiner's confession. I believe Eren's "I don't believe you" is just him giving Reiner a chance to take back the confession and allow the group to still get both Reiner and Bertholdt underground. Mikasa is listening to see if it works and only attacking when she realizes Reiner is not going to back down from this confrontation.

I think there was some disbelief still, but, yeah, he was trying to go through with the plan.

turmoil

Banned
About Mikasa's feelings, I guess her behavior is understandable, she doesn't know if tread Eren like a brother or a romantic interest, if she is protecting him or he is protecting her. So far she has lost her family, lost her foster family, became a refugee, going through military training, etc. hell any of that alone can break a person.

Yeah, it is pretty much "sad anime kid with a traumatic past is socially awkward" trope once again, but I can't avoid feeling a little empathetic. Problem is that so far she doesn't show any internal struggle towards her situation.

That said, I hope the last season is her raping Eren for 24 episodes + OVAs

Puruzi

Banned
About Mikasa's feelings, I guess her behavior is understandable, she doesn't know if tread Eren like a brother or a romantic interest, if she is protecting him or he is protecting her. So far she has lost her family, lost her foster family, became a refugee, going through military training, etc. hell any of that alone can break a person.

Yeah, it is pretty much "sad anime kid with a traumatic past is socially awkward" trope once again, but I can't avoid feeling a little empathetic. Problem is that so far she doesn't show any internal struggle towards her situation.

rGIFjgu.png

If anything I felt empathy for Reiner and Bertholdt primarily due to Reiner's comment of "half-assing" and "we were just kids". Really felt a child soldier vibe with that, whether or turns out to be true or not remains to be seen.

Yeah, it's kinda shitty that even in supposed non-spoiler threads people still throw out spoilers. The worst are people who knows what happens then post a vague hint (sometimes not so vague) thinking they are acting slick or something.

This happened a lot in the Walking Dead thread so I don't even go there anymore.
Shit like this happened in the GoT threads all the fucking time. I didn't get spoiled since I wasn't a huge regular, I'd just pop in and see someone losing their shit because someone hinted towards book material.

Aikidoka

Damn, the prospect of Mikasa laying down the law in the next episode has me excited for the first time this season. Looks like there's going to be some bad CG to deal with though.

edit: I guess I'm relieved about avoiding a
zombie apocalypse scenario.
The whole last third of this episode was really well done

Mendrox

I just watched the OVA's again (all 5) there is no mention of this, In fact he (Levi) just introduces himself to the Survey Corps as just Levi while his 2 friends use their complete names.

He is talking shit and spoilerin anime only people. Thank him guys. What a trainwreck..

NEO0MJ

Even though I dropped this I was waiting to see how people react to the revelation, and to see who possibly read the manga and was dropping hints.

NSFWish?
giphy.gif

Faiz

Funnily enough I just got these 2 yesterday, and Levi is just Levi on the box while Mikasa's full name is displayed on her box

Meanwhile it's on product listing for toys on Amazon. Figuarts packaging is smart but...

If anyone is actively avoiding aforementioned last name spoilers, the link itself is spoiler free but the listings show it. Link is spoiler tagged just to reinforce the face but the text has no spoiler

Meanwhile it's on product listing for toys on Amazon. Figuarts packaging is smart but...

If anyone is actively avoiding aforementioned last name spoilers, the link itself is spoiler free but the listings show it. Link is spoiler tagged just to reinforce the face but the text has no spoiler

Whoever is making the product listing/description made the spoiler, the box itself doesn't feature it in any shape or form.
I haven't seen any official licensed Levi figure with his full name on the Box or instructions.

Faiz

Whoever created the product description made the spoiler, the box itself doesn't feature it in any shape or form.

Let me get this straight, the argument is that I didn't get the spoiler from an action figure but from an action figure listing, potentially on the largest online retailer of goods? Ok, fine. Here, let me amend my post.

FigNewton said:
Regarding the last name: I found out from a listing for an action figure potentially on the largest online retailer of goods. No need for someone to have gone in on manga or wikis or anything just shopping for normal related products.

But it's also one of the reasons I don't post in threads like this. Because it's hard to separate out small details like that which can be big spoilers for people.

The point remains the same, even with the split hairs. You pick up small things like this from unexpected places without reading the manga and without going into wikis. Innocently shopping for AoT toys and BOOM there it is. And it's easy to forget that it isnt something that's been revealed in the show especially when it's four years past it's initial airing. When I saw it my reaction was basically "Oh, huh, interesting, wonder why they were never Made an issue of it. Weird." It wasn't until later when I read that bit of the manga that I realized what was actually going on.

Let me get this straight, the argument is that I didn't get the spoiler from an action figure but from an action figure listing, potentially on the largest online retailer of goods? Ok, fine. Here, let me amend my post.

The point remains the same, even with the split hairs. You pick up small things like this from unexpected places without reading the manga and without going into wikis. Innocently shopping for AoT toys and BOOM there it is. And it's easy to forget that it isnt something that's been revealed in the show especially when it's four years past it's initial airing. When I saw it my reaction was basically "Oh, huh, interesting, wonder why they were never Made an issue of it. Weird." It wasn't until later when I read that bit of the manga that I realized what was actually going on.

Yeah but what are we arguing here? just because people might get easily spoiled somewhere else doesn't make it right to be spoiled here because the poster assumed it was common information already or because by this time they should have been already be spoiled by Amazon or a YouTube comment already. Still doesn't make it right to drop common knowledge spoilers if they haven't being addressed or shown yet in the Anime.

If you post a spoiler because as you say "you forgot" that's something it hasn't been revealed yet then the onus is on you, you are responsible of what you post here, period, doesn't help he doubled down saying it was in the OVAs when in fact it wasn't either.

HardRojo

Man what happened here? People couldn't keep their knowledge inside their pants again? Not reading posts above just in case. Is it so hard to understand that manga and plot talk beyond what's been aired is off limits?

Man what happened here? People couldn't keep their knowledge inside their pants again? Not reading posts above just in case. Is it so hard to understand that manga and plot talk beyond what's been aired is off limits?

It's a shame some people act a bit loose with spoilers. I'm on manga but brother isn't and boy was he crushed about Reiner turning heel since I was going on how much of a bro Reiner is before the episode started.

DarkKyo

It's a shame some people act a bit loose with spoilers. I'm on manga but brother isn't and boy was he crushed about Reiner turning heel since I was going on how much of a bro Reiner is before the episode started.

I read the manga but I'm watching the series with my gf, and Reiner was her favorite, so last episode was pretty hard for her :(
Where did the term shifter come from?

Honestly I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the story or if it's just a descriptor term that fan communities came up with that felt right.

Faiz

Yeah but what are we arguing here? just because people might get easily spoiled somewhere else doesn't make it right to be spoiled here because the poster assumed it was common information already or because by this time they should have been already be spoiled by Amazon or a YouTube comment already. Still doesn't make it right to drop common knowledge spoilers if they haven't being addressed or shown yet in the Anime.

If you post a spoiler because as you say "you forgot" that's something it hasn't been revealed yet then the onus is on you, you are responsible of what you post here, period, doesn't help he doubled down saying it was in the OVAs when in fact it wasn't either.

What I'M arguing is that it's easy to fuck up in situations like this because information comes from all kinds of places and my philosophy is it's best to just not post so you don't fuck up. Which is why these have been my only comments in this thread. I read it because I enjoy the perspectives of people getting the story for the first time, I don't comment on the story itself so I don't fuck up.

You were just arguing to prove a minor part of my comments wrong. Which is another reason I often avoid threads like this...

Arkeband

Banned
Being anime purists watching a show based on an ongoing manga that gives you a season once every 4 years, being overly concerned with Levi's last name is beyond paranoid. Relax people. Not everything is as mind blowing a revelation as the one last episode that has been withheld since the very beginning of the series.

So I finally got around to watching the last episode lol. Such a WTF!?! moment for me. I pretty much realized Reiner was the Armored titan as soon as they revealed Annie especially after he escaped her hand (though I was thrown off a bit by this season's flashbacks with his friend getting eaten). Would have never called Bertholdt for the Colossal though. Amazing how nonchalantly they reveal it like "Hey, so we're getting a beer later. Want to bail and come with?". Like holy shit. Not only that, but it's kind of directed like a side conversation that you could totally miss if you're not listening. Then everyone else's reactions. Bertholdt is like "REALLY?! WTF are you doing dude?!" and Eren's trying to play it off to keep cover but pretty much lays out what we're all thinking like "Hypothetically if you were telling the truth, did you really think I'd say. Ah cool. Yeah I'll come." and Reiner's realization that he's apparently lost it and totally fucked up so I might as well role with it because no turning back now. Such a crazy ass reveal.

LordOfChaos

So I finally got around to watching the last episode lol. Such a WTF!?! moment for me. I pretty much realized Reiner was the Armored titan as soon as they revealed Annie especially after he escaped her hand (though I was thrown off a bit by this season's flashbacks with his friend getting eaten). Would have never called Bertholdt for the Colossal though. Amazing how nonchalantly they reveal it like "Hey, so we're getting a beer later. Want to bail and come with?". Like holy shit. Not only that, but it's kind of directed like a side conversation that you could totally miss if you're not listening. Then everyone else's reactions. Bertholdt is like "REALLY?! WTF are you doing dude?!" and Eren's trying to play it off to keep cover but pretty much lays out what we're all thinking like "Hypothetically if you were telling the truth, did you really think I'd say. Ah cool. Yeah I'll come." and Reiner's realization that he's apparently lost it and totally fucked up so I might as well role with it because no turning back now. Such a crazy ass reveal.

"Can you also walk my dog this weekend? Oh, also my dog is the Monkey Trouble Titan"

Nerokis

Why are you people still talking about spoilers, a mod deleted those posts, let's move on.

Seriously, this thread is a pain to read through. Avoid fostering a culture of paranoia, PM a mod if you feel a manga reader is using additional information to influence how people interpret the anime, and focus on discussing the show. If the GoT thread can manage to be mostly relevant discussion, even with the sometimes heated whining about book readers, the AoT thread should be able to manage at least one full page without all this spoiler discussion.

finally watched the episode and i have to say, i laughed so hard during that reveal.

i knew it was coming, but the way it was executed was almost comical.

Reiner:
"we're the colossal and armored titan that destroyed the wall years ago"

*side chatter*
"Conny! how was your day today?"

Reiner:
"we want you to come with us back to our hometown"

*side chatter*
"i just picked the biggest booger"

toooooo goood lol

can hardly wait for the next episode!! really sad that this season is so short, there is so much stuff to cover.

Dali

So I have a friend that says he's only watched season one and isn't a manga reader. I told him about the chatter about people saying everything was telegraphed in the first season's op and ending. He's at my place and I start episode 1 of this season immediately after telling him this. So he's watching the op super close now. At one point it shows everyone lined up on the wall like they are doing a salute then it shows them from behind only it's not the same group of people which he pointed out. I never paid attention. Anyway, the people it was showing from behind all have their heart glowing like the beast titan running with the dinosaurs and the whale. The people shown from behind are ymir, Reiner, berthold, eren, I think historia, some other guy that he said was in eren's training group in season 1 that I don't remember, and Connie. So basically he was saying he thinks the op is saying they are the titans. Pretty sure historia is a titan so I think he may be right considering all the others except connie and other guy are confirmed titans.

Yonafunu

So I have a friend that says he's only watched season one and isn't a manga reader. I told him about the chatter about people saying everything was telegraphed in the first season's op and ending. He's at my place and I start episode 1 of this season immediately after telling him this. So he's watching the op super close now. At one point it shows everyone lined up on the wall like they are doing a salute then it shows them from behind only it's not the same group of people which he pointed out. I never paid attention. Anyway, the people it was showing from behind all have their heart glowing like the beast titan running with the dinosaurs and the whale. The people shown from behind are ymir, Reiner, berthold, eren, I think historia, some other guy that he said was in eren's training group in season 1 that I don't remember, and Connie. So basically he was saying he thinks the op is saying they are the titans. Pretty sure historia is a titan so I think he may be right considering all the others except connie and other guy are confirmed titans.

It's the guys from their group

from left to right:
Reiner, Berthold, Eren, Jean, Armin and Connie

Moaradin

Haha wow, that was great. I always knew something was up with those two, but I don't think anyone could have expected the reveal to go down like that. So good. I love how Bertolt was like "Are we really fucking doing this? Right here!? Right now!?". The tension building afterwards was A+.

Now that I think about it, Reiner and Bertolt are pretty young despite how they look, right? Wouldn't that make them, like, 10 or 11 years old when they attacked the wall? Pretty fucked up if true.

TBH I'm kind of hate-watching this show at this point. It's such a mixed bag. Some cool characters, nice design, some good action, unique concepts, but the plot and stupidity of most of the characters within it annoys me greatly. I like the main trio but it seems most of the time this season is spent on characters I don't give two shits about. The creators love to tease the viewer regarding the mysteries but it's starting to feel more like a middle-finger than a tickling feather at this point.

I don't give up on shows so I'm not going anywhere but so far this season has not done anything for me.

I'm not looking to argue about this, but I wanted to get that off my chest.

frontovik

Banned
I don't think anyone is looking to argue this with you, most of us are loving the show. Maybe if you don't want replies then save this kind of stuff for a personal journal?

Personal journal for this nonsense? He is just as free to express his opinions to others as you are. He has a negative perception of it and is simply seeking not to get attacked by the defense force for his thoughts. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. Feel free to criticize negative views of the show, but don't expect a rebuttal from the poster in any case.

Personally, I'm not invested in the show either, as I'm really only in it for the action and music. Everything else about it is just mediocre and cliched.

Personal journal for this nonsense? He is just as free to express his opinions to others as you are. He has a negative perception of it and is simply seeking not to get attacked by the defense force for his thoughts. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. Feel free to criticize negative views of the show, but don't expect a rebuttal from the poster in any case.

Personally, I'm not invested in the show either, as I'm really only in it for the action and music. Everything else about it is just mediocre and cliched.
You must not watch many animes if you think this series is cliche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom