• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remembered when the one scout gets eaten last ep, they replayed her in the intro to this one, she yells like "Father, no!". That was supposed to be a "Lord Our Father" or a crying-for-mommy kind of thing, right? That lady didn't actually recognize the Titan as her actual dad, yeah?

She was having a psychotic regression due to the stress of being eaten alive.

I remembered when the one scout gets eaten last ep, they replayed her in the intro to this one, she yells like "Father, no!". That was supposed to be a "Lord Our Father" or a crying-for-mommy kind of thing, right? That lady didn't actually recognize the Titan as her actual dad, yeah?
She was having a psychotic regression due to the stress of being eaten alive.

Some people interpreted, saying she was (sexually?) abused when she was younger, and when she was in that position (all stretched out, vulnerable), it reminded her of when she was being abused. Also the shock. Idk.

Anyhow, not related to the Titans.

LowParry

Some people interpreted, saying she was (sexually?) abused when she was younger, and when she was in that position (all stretched out, vulnerable), it reminded her of when she was being abused. Also the shock. Idk.

That's.....a very odd interpretation.

Either way, you know the saying "my life flashed before my eyes". Pretty much what she went through. Could be anything.

LordOfChaos

It's not implausible, but I don't think we need to jump that far.

In the real world a soldier confronted with their own death and immense pain may ask for their mother for instance. Imo, her mind just went back to a childhood scolding instead of processing the immense pain and imminent death. Not necessarily that she was abused in worse ways, there's no direct evidence of that (and the show and manga are pretty shy about sex, for all the other violence they show)

LowParry

Now that I think of it, didn't we get a flashback of Rein and Bert with Ymir eating at one of their comrades? They seemed shocked about seeing Ymir transformed on the tower. I'm guessing we'll see this further explained later but is it pointing out that maybe there are factions with Titans?

Man, just can't stop thinking about this episode. I've lost count on the amount of times I've replayed the reveal and what followed.

I was wondering whether Season 2 would make me feel that same hype and excitement that Season 1 had. but it's delivering so far!

Does anyone know the particular piece of music when Mikasa dices Reiner and Bertholdt?

This reaction was perfect
Starts off thinking its a chill episode and talks about how reiner is his favourite before it all comes crashing down. The scream when Mikasa slices reiner is great.

Haha, he's entirely in disbelief at first.

EDIT:
lol that scream
KuGsj.gif

Yonafunu

Whew, now that that's out of the way:

no Reiner and Berthold in the OP lineup

Starts off thinking its a chill episode and talks about how reiner is his favourite before it all comes crashing down. The scream when Mikasa slices reiner is great.

EDIT:
lol that scream
KuGsj.gif

I knew this was going to be Junk Putty before I even clicked it. That guy has great reactions.

Kolx

I love reading this thread after a big episode like this and seeing everyone's theories for what's going to happen next and examining every scene from previous episodes.

Some of you are so far off and others are so close

Stop. Like really just stop. Telling us some of the theories here are true doesn't help at all. If you come here just act like you know nothing beyond what the anime revealed so far.

LordOfChaos

Really I thought there was a big dip compared to last season. A lot less action and a lot more static scenes. I assume they are saving budget.

Really hoping it's saved up for a big sploosh next episode and onwards.

It doesn't dip near as low as say DBS, but yeah, when I was watching the first season I thought it was some of the better, more consistent anime out there and the second season isn't as high, but I guess I've also watched more in the interim and learned more of what goes wrong.

Unfortunately from the next episode preview, the 3D Graphics Titan remains. Probably too much to hope for its replacement in the blu ray release. But I hope the Reiner vs Eren fight is gloriously hand animated.

That's plausible.

Her "mind", wanting to protect her from the immense stress of her incoming death, took her back to a moment of similar stress when she was able to survive by pledging clemency to her father.

It's a young person thing where everything you do in life has to be observed by someone else in order to have any value.

It's pretty vain, but I find it useful. Filmmakers would screen versions of their movies for audiences and watch their reactions to see when they gasped, when they clutched their armrests, or shouted in triumph. With this episode, everyone has a consistent reaction to certain moments.

I hope when they finally get to the basement, there's just a handful of characters left, and they finally open the door and reveal...

the father, titan-sized with his mouth open, who promptly swallows all the remaining characters as they trip and fall through the door. The father burps and grins. End series.

MBS

Banned
Whoa, this caught me off guard. One of the greatest plot twists i've ever experienced in any media. I'm sure there were tiny clues in season 1, but it's been 3 years and nobody really thought much about it anyway (except manga readers). It's a shame that we 're actually in midway of S2 and we 'll probably have to wait for another 1-2 years or so. I'll seriously consider reading the rest of the manga after this season ends.

Whoa, this caught me off guard. One of the greatest plot twists i've ever experienced in any media. I'm sure there were tiny clues in season 1, but it's been 3 years and nobody really thought much about it anyway (except manga readers). It's a shame that we 're actually in midway of S2 and we 'll probably have to wait for another 1-2 years or so. I'll seriously consider reading the rest of the manga after this season ends.

This is me, depending on how S2 ends. Though I'm definitely going to rewatch all of Season 1.

Unbounded

I haven't read the manga.

I had guessed that Reiner and Bertolt were titans, (For fucks Sake, the second ending made that ABUNDANTLY clear who were and who weren't Titans after the Annie reveal.

Also the whole bit of Reiner managing to survive Annie's crushing grip.

And Annie Magically knowing where Eren was after failing to crush Reiner.

And the fact that the Armored Titan bore some VERY clear similarities to Reiner.

What I didn't figure out was
That Bertolt was the colossal titan. I had assumed that he was the titan Mikasa and Eren were fighting in the "Great escape" ending. I'm guessing that was a bit of fun misdirection on their part.

That said
There isn't much left in the way of "who is and isn't a titan" I guess. Only one left would be Historia, and I'm just going to assume this gets much bigger than "who is and who isn't a titan"

mm04

EDIT:
lol that scream
KuGsj.gif

Haha wow I love that reaction vid. It's funny because it kind of mirrors how Eren felt about the whole thing. Just complete disbelief and shock. And then you've got Mikasa who doesn't even hesitate on going for the kill shot on 2 guys she knew and trained with from the get go. I mean no hesitation at all. Be glad she's on your side, Eren.

Dali

Finally some goddamn answers! It wasn't much but I'll take it. The scene was so weird though. They're revealing their identity in such a nonchalant way and it's not even the focus of the scene.

LowParry

Finally some goddamn answers! It wasn't much but I'll take it. The scene was so weird though. They're revealing their identity in such a nonchalant way and it's not even the focus of the scene.

I seriously thought it was just bad subtitles. I think everyone had that reaction. Ended up rewinding twice just to be sure.

What are these "endings" people are talking about that helped them figure out who the titans were?

The ending credits

I seriously thought it was just bad subtitles. I think everyone had that reaction. Ended up rewinding twice just to be sure.

The scene completely deemphasizes the reveal. Everything you've been taught about reveals and twists from other media was used against you to make you question what had just been said.

turmoil

Banned
It was a masterful deconstruction of the titan fighting genre!

I just hope that Reiner and Krista overcome their differences.

HardRojo

Just watched the episode. When Reiner revealed the truth about both titans in such a nonchalant way I was like WHAT!? I suppose next week's episode will be a really interesting one.

Did he really just say the N-word at 22:22?

Cuburt

I know y'all saw that. On the tower. I saw it. I figured something major out and I didn't read the manga.

n9CBcsJ.png

Quoting this because it was another moment that someone caught from earlier in the season.

Bertholdt about to bite himself to transform when Ymir jumped up on top of the tower.

Sotha_Sil

One of the biggest S1 clues was in plain sight. In the ending credits for the episodes in the second half of S1 (Survey Corps intro episodes), they had
Annie, Bertholt, and Reiner standing together looking at a picture of the walls

One of the biggest S1 clues was in plain sight. In the ending credits for the episodes in the second half of S1 (Survey Corps intro episodes), they had
Annie, Bertholt, and Reiner standing together looking at a picture of the walls

Only Bertholdt was looking at the wall

Edit: Regardless all this OP/ED analyzing I feel is reaching (regardless of the end result), I've seen many other OPs/EDs that give things away blatantly so personally I'm not one to go heavy into them beyond looking at the scenes/characters/etc. whilst listening to the track playing.

Dysun

That caught me with my pants down. Didn't even have an inkling that was going to happen. Season 2 is freaking great

proto

I kinda liked the nonchalantness of it. When you get that wide shot of everyone walking away while Reiner and Berthold are talking to Eren and you see the subtitles. I definitely did a double take to "OH SHIT".

Also, the elongated silence before after the flagpole snapping was super well done.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I knew it w/out reading manga, he looks exactly like his transferred form too lol. Still got hyped though when Mikasa swooped in and handled business like a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom