• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.
time to rewatch that revelation and transformation for the 10th time today
invoker-gdlk.gif
invoker-gdlk.gif

DarkKyo

Personal journal for this nonsense? He is just as free to express his opinions to others as you are.

If he's not looking to talk about it, why post it on a public forum? Does he just need a place to write it down or does he need people to know his opinion yet not respond to it?

I'm all for a difference in opinion and it can be enjoyable to discuss that, but the purpose of his post was kind of silly.

This week reminded me of the week when Eren got eaten. I wasn't into anime at that time and I didn't watch the show, but back in high school my classmates were talking about it quite a lot. They were saying stuff like the "I can't believe the main character die this early" etc. I even remember a lot of internet news articles about it.

4 years later, now I'm in College and it's almost like I'm back in high school with some of my colleagues talking about it with other classmates. I'm even getting family members calling me about it saying that they heard some big stuff happening in AOT, they thought it was the basement reveal XD

Very odd critique to have of the series considering the execution of the reveal this past episode.
Just the right word, bullshit critique. ;) I have no problem with people who don't like it, it's just when you use certain criticism that doesn't make sense. It literally had one of craziest reveals I've ever seen in any medium, and #trustyourfriends from season vs Female Titan also gave Eren some harsh, harsh lessons.

time to rewatch that revelation and transformation for the 10th time today
invoker-gdlk.gif
invoker-gdlk.gif
reveal kills me every time :eek:

9GA9g.gif

Maybe if you don't want replies then save this kind of stuff for a personal journal?

People are free to reply if they want, I just won't be responding to their arguments about the show. It's all subjective opinion, any debate would likely be a pointless waste of time. Most people seem to love it so I'm obviously in the minority.

FluxWaveZ

Rewatched season 1 in the past couple of days and it cemented the fact that I really enjoy this show. I never had the issues that many others seemed to have, and the political/mystery intrigue was always as compelling to me as the action.

Rewatched season 1 in the past couple of days and it cemented the fact that I really enjoy this show. I never had the issues that many others seemed to have, and the political/mystery intrigue was always as compelling to me as the action.

I agree. For me the intriguing part is the politics and individual motivations. So I really appreciate what season 2 has done so far to flesh out the motivations for side characters who didn't seem that important before but now suddenly super important.

xevis

Banned
Finally started watching the second season.

The production values seem to be way down. Animation quality is lower. Lots and lots of CGI. The new theme song is ass. What went wrong here? :(

I like the main trio but it seems most of the time this season is spent on characters I don't give two shits about. The creators love to tease the viewer regarding the mysteries but it's starting to feel more like a middle-finger than a tickling feather at this point.

So much this. After the tight scripting in Season 1 (well, apart from some mid-season-filler) it's pretty clear the latest season has no idea wtf to do with the awesome premise. Beast titan? Tiny titans? Titans in the walls?
Conspiracies? Ugh. Gimme a break.

xevis

Banned
Are you up to date mate?

Beware of spoilers in the thread

Yep, all caught up. I assume I don't need spoiler tags to discuss stuff?

Production values are a little lower but nothing that is a big deal for me so far at least.

It's super weird though. The first season was insanely popular. I assume the creators made all the money. So why is the latest season done on the cheap?

kirblar

I think a lot of it is because of S2 not having an urban/vertical setting for the arc. All the spider-man style fighting and stuff- it's just not present in this arc like it was in the first batch of eps. They were doing a ton w/ 3D animation for that.

turmoil

Banned
All anime talk and speculation is fine not tagged, I asked because it seemed that you haven't reached last episode revelation.

I dunno, maybe they thought that the installed fanbase wouldn't care?

The only moments that were evidently cheap to me were the static horses in the stable and the 3d Colossal Titan, and it made me laugh instead of getting angry so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DarkKyo

Yep, all caught up. I assume I don't need spoiler tags to discuss stuff?
I think all he was saying was that if you hadn't caught up yet to be careful because there's no show spoiler tags in this thread.
The only moments that were evidently cheap to me were the static horses in the stable and the 3d Colossal Titan, and it made me laugh instead of getting angry so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah the only bleh thing to me so far has been the CG Colossal. Especially because the Armored one looks so awesome in comparison, and even the drawn shots of Colossal's face look amazing so there is a stark difference in the quality/look.

I never mind CG horses though, I'm not looking at them closely enough in the shots they are used in.

ShadyK54

Spent the past couple of hours catching up on the past 3-4 episodes that I've missed since I haven't been keeping up with the show for whatever reason.

That reveal and preview!!

OfYGY.gif

Really want to reread the manga now lol.

Can't wait for tomorrow's episode! Now to watch the dub.

DarkKyo

I agree that it's charming in a "my first manga" kinda way.

Oh come on, the style is incredibly solid! It's only noticeably rough in the first 30-40 chapters, but even then it does the job. For the content/type of story it is I think it's perfect. Mature horror shonen featuring lots of distorted flesh monsters? The art style is perfect for that.

FluxWaveZ

Death stares aside, she is a pretty boring character. The problem is she has no agency of her own. If they gave her something to do other than think about Eren all day, she'll become a lot more interesting.

After rewatching Season 1, I came to appreciate the character more. I thought she was fairly plain, but previous episodes make it clear that she's not some kind of Mary Sue. She can be brash and impulsive, letting her emotions take control even if she doesn't let it appear that way on the surface. Like, during the confrontation with Annie where she just goes "fuck it, enough talk" and draws her swords, when Eren and Armin would have rather continued talking. More scenes like that would be cool; I think her immediate assault in this episode could be an example.

It would be nice if she was a bit less obsessed with Eren, though.

After rewatching Season 1, I came to appreciate the character more. I thought she was fairly plain, but previous episodes make it clear that she's not some kind of Mary Sue. She can be brash and impulsive, letting her emotions take control even if she doesn't let it appear that way on the surface. Like, during the confrontation with Annie where she just goes "fuck it, enough talk" and draws her swords, when Eren and Armin would have rather continued talking. More scenes like that would be cool; I think her immediate assault in this episode could be an example.

It would be nice if she was a bit less obsessed with Eren, though.

Also there'll probably be awesome characterization when we know more about the "electricity going through her body" activation when she tried to save Eren from being murdered (when younger). Seems like there is more to her than we think.

Speaking of weird scenes, Eren fused with Annie-titan during ep 25 when Annie froze herself. I wonder if that'll allow him to use strengthened skin this coming episode or I wonder what that's about.

HardRojo

I just wish Mikasa had more of a lively look, rather then the stereotypical "lost stare" and quiet girl. If she stopped acting like a fucking ghost then I'd care more about her character.
Sasha can go get caught by a Titan any day, most stupid character in the show so far.

Tcab96

Death stares aside, she is a pretty boring character. The problem is she has no agency of her own. If they gave her something to do other than think about Eren all day, she'll become a lot more interesting.

As much as I really like Mikasa, I agree with you somewhat. Back when she believed Eren had died, we saw her character grow just a bit when she began fighting to live right before Titan Eren intervened. It felt like a step back when Eren entered the picture again. I was really interested to see where Mikasa would go without him but then he's back again. It was a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom