• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

What was dragged out here?
They inserted that dream sequence and scene with Erena and Mikasa so they could drag things out and end the episode on that scene with Mike.
It's the exact same problem as with the first series: they're going to regularly drag things out so the episodes (and cours) end on specific points. I get where they're coming from, but clearly, the 24 minute/episode and cours formats don't agree with the source material.

Cuburt

Don't really like the new opening song.

The ending of the first episode felt too nihilistic to me, even for this show, and I thought the sense of dread and hopelessness prior to Titan Eren introducing supernatural powers, were the best stuff of season 1.

The animation was also disappointing, seemed noticably worse than season 1 at parts, though I never thought this show was much of a looker.

Kind of cool to see them pick right up with the wall titan cliffhanger and introduce the beast titan, but I feel it didn't move things along enough nor did we get to spend enough time with everyone's favorite characters, after such a long hiatus. Felt underwhelming, especially if they are going for a 12 episode season, it should have been a bit tighter and punchier imo.

Idk, I was generally pretty hyped having finally seen the whole first season a few months ago, though, I felt the season started much stronger than it ended. This return makes me think it's a better show to just binge a season at a time and hope it gets back to the highs rather than drag out it's mysteries.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Season 1 was ok. Good concepts, horrible execution with over exposition and repetitiveness at times.

Will wait for Netflix i guess

My sister is a manga reader and told me that it feels weird to see
people who are already dead in the manga acting all natural and looking so, well, alive

I'm not the biggest fan of manga, so I only could make it until
Reiner and Berthold reveal their true identities to Eren in such an anticlimatic way before deciding it would be better to wait for the adaptation (4 years ago). I'm guessing this season will end before that scene?
I was hoping we could get a 2-cour season so I could see that animated, but maybe I'm misremembering and the current events in the anime are closer to that than I remember.

MBS

Banned
E1 was brutal and intense right where S1 ending left of, but the time interval between episodes and seasons is really killing the hype that the first season had built and that's a shame.

Defuser

c8wkas7uaaasy-gl7ofd.jpg
The meme lives on.

Fantastic episode for me. The beast Titan was fantastically animated and voiced.

I echo the opinion that the 4 year gap between seasons will negatively impact the world wide impact this season has, especially in comparison to the first. The return of Attack on Titan should have felt like more of an event.

Macka

As an anime only guy, I'm not sure if I should even bother watching this.

12 episodes, and then...what? Another year plus wait? Even longer? After already waiting almost four years?

Mendrox

My sister is a manga reader and told me that it feels weird to see
people who are already dead in the manga acting all natural and looking so, well, alive

I'm not the biggest fan of manga, so I only could make it until
Reiner and Berthold reveal their true identities to Eren in such an anticlimatic way before deciding it would be better to wait for the adaptation (4 years ago). I'm guessing this season will end before that scene?
I was hoping we could get a 2-cour season so I could see that animated, but maybe I'm misremembering and the current events in the anime are closer to that than I remember.

Nya season will end with that whole fight. :) brutal

Soi-Fong

Can people not talk about the manga in this thread?? Some of us waited nearly 4 years and skipped the manga entirely waiting for the anime and would appreciate it being able to go through this thread not having to step on egg shells.

Can people not talk about the manga in this thread?? Some of us waited nearly 4 years and skipped the manga entirely waiting for the anime and would appreciate it being able to go through this thread not having to step on egg shells.

It's almost wishful thinking. Even if this thread is going to be extremely strict about it you can bet some jackasses will make conspicuously accurate speculations. I know likely most of what these 12 episodes will cover and yet I consider tapping out of this thread because in all likelihood someone can't help themselves but spoil stuff from way down the line.

Sadist

Great ep and awesome introduction to the Beast Titan. Exactly the voice I had in mind for him hehe.

Was that hairy Titan
Eren's father
?
No, because you know, Grisha Jaeger lived inside the wall and saw the gear used frequently by the corps members. The Beast Titan is an outsider obviously

Hellraider

That was a pretty damn good start.

Episode 26 spoiler

I'm usually a fan of the more abrupt no bullshit death scenes but this particular one was well executed. The combination of confusion and absolute dread stayed for just the right time for the audience to trying to process whatever the fuck just happened and for poor Mike to have his miserable final moments be as painful as they were.

The only problem is that I've been a manga reader before it was c- *ahem* before the anime started and having not watched anything for 4 years and also having piled up a year's worth of manga chapters my memory of the universe needs some tidying up.

Veitsev

As an anime only guy, I'm not sure if I should even bother watching this.

12 episodes, and then...what? Another year plus wait? Even longer? After already waiting almost four years?

We are likely never getting the whole thing fully animated. Give up and plan to read the manga, its readily available on Crunchyroll.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Man anime-gaf probably the most nitpicky community on gaf holy shit.

I enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to the twists.

J@hranimo

Banned
Finally got around to watching it. Really good episode! Beast Titan's voice is 10/10 for me. Hope they got a good English VA for the dub.

The outro though......That sure is interesting to say the least.

Finally got around to watching it. Really good episode! Beast Titan's voice is 10/10 for me. Hope they got a good English VA for the dub.

The outro though......That sure is interesting to say the least.

It's one of those EDs that only has significance once later knowledge is revealed. Manga readers probably got a few references.

HardRojo

Fucking hell people at least make it clear that your spoilers are from the manga (which aren't even allowed in the thread I believe) and not from the episode. I already spoiled myself from what seems to be a big plot point because I thought it was from this week's episode. You read the manga, that's fine, don't ruin it for everyone else.
Was that hairy Titan
Eren's father
?
Come the fuck on it says right there in the first line of the OP!
No manga talk beyond what has been covered up to the current episode please. Also don't be that guy who thinks they are clever by constantly hint-hinting at stuff, or the person who constantly asks questions that would obviously be a spoiler if answered.
You know what, I'll just avoid everything because it seems people will talk about the yet-to-be-aired parts of the manga anyway.

No but at the end of the month the show will be on Toonami, so you'll have a dub by then

Is the dub actually worthwhile though? I watched it subbed and when I suggested it to my gf I suggested dubbed but ended up suggesting she opt for subs halfway into the first episode since the tone of a number of interactions was way off. Did it get better?

Yeesh, that ending scene was messed up. I just did a rewatch of the first season, and nothing in those episodes was anywhere near as disturbing (for me at least). It was interesting to see, but I hope the whole season isn't so dark...

Is the dub actually worthwhile though? I watched it subbed and when I suggested it to my gf I suggested dubbed but ended up suggesting she opt for subs halfway into the first episode since the tone of a number of interactions was way off. Did it get better?

Yeah, Funimation did it justice overall I'd say. Say what you will about it compared to Yuki Kaji, but Bryce Papenbrook who plays Eren put his voice through as much of a ringer as he could during Eren's berserk Titan sequences.

Kayhan

+1

Kayhan

Good first episode of the new season.

Started kinda slow but ended really strong. Goddamn that poor guy at the end.....

New OP is straight trash. The ED is pretty creepy but fitting.

aadiboy

Seasonal anime usually get 2 or 3 seasons and then stop, with very few exceptions. It's unlikely AoT will ever be fully animated, especially since they waited too long to do season 2.

The hairy titan is clearly King Kong. He's a monkey and he ain't up to no good. He's there to ruin your day. Mike learned the hard way what happens when you got up against KING KONG.

Seriously, is he a Titan or is he a Monkey in a Titans body? He's so weird and lanky and it's just disturbing too look at him. Gah!

Animation was alrite.

Lynd7

We are likely never getting the whole thing fully animated. Give up and plan to read the manga, its readily available on Crunchyroll.

Why do you say that? Isn't the manga on its path to ending? It won't go forever, there's no reason they can't keep making more as the manga continues and finishes.

BaasRed

Banned
What's the pacing like so far? If it's slow I'll just watch it when it's done, if it's fast though I might watch sooner.

this episode remained me that humainty is still pretty fucked. miche kinda of confused me what did he expect to do with crippled legs and no 3d gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom