• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypron

...motherfucker

Edit: I don't even know if this is true or a hint at something but goddamn. That'll be stuck in my head

Like other people have said it'd make no sense. The beast titan doesn't know what the 3D manoeuvring gear is so he has to come from outside the walls.

Brakke

Banned
Ahh dang I'm not going to pay for this. Does Crunchy Roll move things to free after a couple weeks? What's the lag?

What was with the giant animals in the season 2 OP?

Real talk I have no idea. It is not representative of anything the manga has.

It's probably just fancy imagery, not the usual opening spoiler.

Unless this goes into a weird dinosaur battle filler arc. Which would be fun.

Eridani

Ahh dang I'm not going to pay for this. Does Crunchy Roll move things to free after a couple weeks? What's the lag?

Each episode should become free a week after it airs, though free episodes are also limited to a 480p resolution.

Veitsev

Why do you say that? Isn't the manga on its path to ending? It won't go forever, there's no reason they can't keep making more as the manga continues and finishes.

Anime is largely just a glorified advertisement campaign for its source material. Once the manga is done there won't be a great incentive to keep spending lots of money animating it. We waited 3-4 years and we got 12 episodes. I think if they were really serious about completing it we would have gotten more or gotten content earlier and more consistently. The first season was 24 episodes and covered 32 chapters. The manga is currently at around 90+ or so chapters. Following a similar pacing would mean it would take at least 30 additional episodes (not including this season) to catch up to where the manga is now. Its not unrealistic to expect 40-50 episodes to be required for a complete adaptation and that assuming the manga is nearing a conclusion.

Look at the Monogatari Series for an example of a studio that has been given the greenlight to fully adapt the source material. Shaft has provided a consistent flow of episodes and it helps that its mostly dialogue driven so its cheap. Contrast that with AoT which requires a huge budget to pull of properly and I don't think its realistic to expect a complete adaptation. Wit Studio is also adapting Ancient Magus Bride for Fall 2017 (24 episodes) and then Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Season 2 in 2018 which doesn't bode well for another AoT season by them any time soon.

I hope I am wrong but its not common for long series to be fully adapted.

Yeah I feel like we would have gotten more AoT if Kabaneri didn't exist. But Kabaneri is pretty awesome so I can't complain too much.

Permanently A

Monkey Trouble's voice is real nice, also that paunch belly is kinda disturbing, he didn't look like that in the manga to me.

I thought the scene with Mikke's death was a bit overdone, I would have just cut it after Monkey left with the Gear.

Kaizer

Banned
Yeah I feel like we would have gotten more AoT if Kabaneri didn't exist. But Kabaneri is pretty awesome so I can't complain too much.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Kabaneri a lot & I'm happy its getting a second season. It definitely filled the AoT void for me last year.

Awesome first episode. Brutal, and extremely intriguing. The old monkey beast Titan propped a ton of questions. So a human titan can control basic titans, and this one can even speak? Weird that he didn't know the gear they use, low key feels like he is from another time esp with the design. He also didn't give a fuck about killing humans or titans lol.. and the religious people are openly hiding information from everyone, and noone knows why. She should have just captured him and tortured the dude in some basement. He may not be afraid of death, but I wonder how much pain he can endure before he is more open in discussing information.

I was saddened that the nose guy died. I was hoping he'd survive, esp since they stated only Levi is better than him. His nose also should offer massive help. I thought he might make it, but then I got reminded AoT is the anime version of Game of Thrones. Noone other then Eren & Mikasa are safe until the end of the series, everybody else ticking lifebomb strapped onto their body.

Hows the hype for season 2? My sis just told me in her university right now there isn't much hype which is surprising, I would have thought everyone would lose their minds with this coming out. :\

Still hoping Magi s3 can come out at the end of the year so I can get a dose of both of these great series. :')

JoJo had "DONT POST MANGA SPOILERS" in big red sparkly letters and it still didn't work.

Snap, it doesn't have to be a series that's based on manga material. Even the DBS OT has issues of people not spoiler tagging content based on descriptions of episodes not yet aired. Even the "speculations" is obvious someone read upcoming episode titles. People just gonna spoil. =/

I think shows based on light novels that haven't had a surge of popularity yet is pretty fine.

1EbW2XZ.png

Pfftt is this some Hunger's Game ripoff??

Joking, love Sasha.

Wow that was a great episode, it went by so fast too, that's a good sign. I'm getting intrigued again by this show, can't wait for next week but still not feeling the OP with dinosaurs. Sasha best girl still, how can anyone hate her!

After going through all of Season 1 (BD version) and reading the manga up to where the first S2 episode ended my love for AoT has been rekindled because I just absolutely adore the world building and intriguing plot.

That said, the pacing of even this second season is so slow -__-

Another good episode, I have to say. Sasha's story translated perfectly well from manga to anime here. I had already loved her as a character, so it's not like I needed this part of the story to convince me other wise, but still seeing her in action this episode will have gotten more than a few people sold on her prowess as a fighter.

I think that is something season 1 lacked, there wasn't much to say for the cadets outside of Eren, Annie, and Mikasa for obvious reasons. We only really deviated from their abilities to see performanes of more strategic qualities put on display by Armin and Jaune - Reiner too, especially during the three chasing down the female titan.

I think, what people are gonna love about season 2 was the kind of stuff we saw today. On the back of every volume of the manga there are the top 10 cadets - not just Eren and Mikasa.

Geg

The pacing has been fine for the most part so far, with only a few added scenes just to give Eren and co some screen time where they originally didn't appear much until scenes that will happen in the next episode. It's nothing close to the poor pacing of the Female Titan arc's anime adaptation, at any rate.

Great episode, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Sasha's story here in the manga.

I wouldn't mind my pacing qualms quite as much if it weren't for the fact that we're also only getting 12 episodes after 4 years and might have to wait years for more, once again. I've stopped reading the manga some months after the first season finished airing and wouldn't you know it, four years later the anime still won't get as far as that.

Thanks a lot production committee, production I.G. and WIT.

kirblar

Pfftt is this some Hunger's Game ripoff??

Joking, love Sasha.
Nah, Overwatch. Takes her how many tries to get a headshot w/ Hanzo? edit: Then she has to resort to melee!

They're doing a really good job adapting this portion of the series to TV while not abandoning characters for weeks/months.

The pacing has been fine for the most part so far, with only a few added scenes just to give Eren and co some screen time where they originally didn't appear much until scenes that will happen in the next episode. It's nothing close to the poor pacing of the Female Titan arc's anime adaptation, at any rate.

Great episode, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Sasha's story here in the manga.

Yep, the pacing was fine, what happens it was mostly a 'side story', flashback of a side character included, instead of advancing the main plot, which is what people want.

They are wrong, of course. The important thing is not if this was "side" or "main" story, the important is if it was an enjoyable episode by itself. And it was.
It was creepy (titan eating), it was badass and heroic (Sasha), it was dramatic (the girl, and Connie too), and it teased a mystery (the Titan in the house). So all the qualities that people like from AoT.

Also, precisely in this Arc AoT starts being more a ensemble cast series, instead of focusing so much on Eren, which imo is good as Eren can be a bit tiring.

Kolx

Liked this much better than the first one and I thought the first one was good. This episode reminded me of how I felt watching the 1st half of AoT.

Demoli

Felt like a filler episode which is weird when there's only twelve.

Sometimes in the manga business, authors do these """filler""" chapters while they try and come up with what to do next, and often use them to develop side characters or the world around them if it makes any sense. We did get some nice Sasha development at least

S2EP2

I still hate those 3D horses, but its not quite BerCLANK level yet. More screen time for Sasha is always nice, altought i don't quite get how theace wouldn't have killed the titan but oh well we got a good shot out of it.

That guitar ROAR at 2:41 in this clip of the new episode was awesome.

Wasn't sure about the character moments in the first half of this ep but they stuck the landing imo.
The writing overtly sets Sasha up to die (flashbacks, opportunity to sacrifice herself and redeem her earlier selfishness) but then is uncharacteristically merciful. And then when you think the episode is gonna end on a happy note, it shifts to the final scene with Connie :'<

LordOfChaos

I still hate those 3D horses, but its not quite BerCLANK level yet. More screen time for Sasha is always nice, altought i don't quite get how theace wouldn't have killed the titan but oh well we got a good shot out of it.

Not quite is quite the understatement, this episode was what, 5% 3D graphics? BerClank was like 80% until they decided to hand draw the rape horse. Not in the same league by miles.

Felt like a filler episode which is weird when there's only twelve.

Sometimes in the manga business, authors do these """filler""" chapters while they try and come up with what to do next, and often use them to develop side characters or the world around them if it makes any sense. We did get some nice Sasha development at least

This episode was not filler. You guys were given some important information.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
decent episode but I want some answers already!

This episode was not filler. You guys were given some important information.

I did not sense anything important this ep:

Was it:

The priest knew about the wall titan or the titan with weak limbs just chillin on top of the house?

BizzyBum

Sooo that titan wasn't even big, I'm surprised Sasha didn't comment on that. That's pretty fucking brutal it was eating the crippled mom as she's still alive with her daughter right there. This show continues to get darker as time goes on. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom