• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Ep 21
franco-so-good.gif

Pretty much this.
Didn't expect Petra & co. go this early, but once they went after the Fem Titan I just said "welp, this is it".

What an incredible episode. Even though I'm a manga reader, I still got serious chills and goosebumps watching this episode. The soundtrack...oh god, the soundtrack.

Still heartbreaking.

Here's a few CR guest passes for those that want to watch it today. Quote post to see the codes.

Thank you! I used the last one. I'll be sure to post impressions soon.

Sarquiss_

What an amazing episode. It had everything and then some. The wait for the final few episode is going to suck.....but I will be strong and not marathon through the Manga.

Hopefully, we get a couple more seasons out of this series....

That was a fantastic episode. My God.

I'm more moved by the squad's death than anything else. It was particularly sad to see Oluo's reaction to Petra's death. I also liked Levi's return to the fray when he passed by the bodies of his squad.

Erwin's foreshadowing was really well done, in my opinion. He says that the best move might not reward them with a win and that risks may have to happen. Then, immediately afterward, Eldo tells Eren that allowing the three members to attack is the best move and that Eren's powers are too risky.

Wow......I can't remember the last time I got goosebumps from an anime. Whoever directed this episode deserves a goddamn medal.

But what was Eren staring at in disbelief right before the end? What did she show him? I HAVE TO KNOW

LogicStep

Wow......I can't remember the last time I got goosebumps from an anime. Whoever directed this episode deserves a goddamn medal.

But what was Eren staring at in disbelief right before the end? What did she show him? I HAVE TO KNOW
I'm guessing somehow she lets him know who she is. The whole fucking time I was like :O

kirblar

This ep was incredible, and blew the Manga out of the water. (I went ahead and blew through all of it to avoid getting spoiled inadvertently after that incident with the idiot about a month ago.) The emotion was just off the charts here.

Having done that, I now totally understand why it's paced the way it is. It's definitely a "decompressed" series, and the pacing helps serve to keep the audience off-balance and keep the audience from being desensitized to the violence. It also allows for real character development in the midst of everything, like in this ep, where the weight of all their previous decisions come crashing down on them.

Episode 21 – Crushing Blow - 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (5)
tumblr_msfcesHElk1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_msfcesHElk1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Well probably in the running for worst episode of summer 2013.
The first 12 minutes was so good with Jean and Armin continuing to provide the most important statements and such and then everyone finally rising up to strike back effectively, but then why would he write the story to go in that direction. This is like the hundredth time (3rd) Eren has tried to do something and fail, he ought to succeed for once especially in this the third or so arc and strike back effectively. Making him some perpetual loser is kind of odd. Even with this powerup that is supposed to put him in line with the other titans, losing that badly shouldnt have been thought up. Im just glad, at least my character, Jean is far away from the danger zone though, redeemed the episode. (though he most likely doesnt intend to kill off more of our same class of characters)
Interested to see what happens next.

Song choice was really awkward during the major action moment, it felt all out of line with the scene and having vocals playing for it didnt really do the scene any favors. Also was just plain ugly moment too.

-

I think they should consider giving us summary movies of both arcs, would really work.

Soma

(Vague manga spoilers) The animation team on this show better bring their A-game to the next few episodes I swear to god. :|

Well with all the flashbacks it wasn't necessarily their A-game but I'm pretty damn satisfied at how they handled this weeks episode despite a few derpy cuts.

kirblar

Well with all the flashbacks it wasn't necessarily their A-game but I'm pretty damn satisfied at how they handled this weeks episode despite a few derpy cuts.
The flashbacks are an absolutely necessary evil in order to preserve suspense and also to make things flow together thematically.

cj_iwakura

What an incredible episode. Even though I'm a manga reader, I still got serious chills and goosebumps watching this episode. The soundtrack...oh god, the soundtrack.

Still heartbreaking.

Here's a few CR guest passes for those that want to watch it today. Quote post to see the codes.

Thanks! Mine expired a little bit ago. Can't wait to catch up. (20 and 21)
Used the second one.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 21

iod5RV8uqAYG2.jpg
ibqfoN8HhWwzkc.jpg

Levi's squad didn't deserve this.

This was pretty good by Attack on Titan standards. There was one scene which seemed to be missing animation, which is concerning(please don't die animators), but otherwise this was obviously an episode with a lot of resources put into it, and deservingly so. For all the flaws of this show, the action(when animated) is pretty dang good.
The MMA Titan fight delivered the goods, as expected.
They obviously got some of their best animators to work on this episode, but don't take my word for it, take the .gifs:

http://i.minus.com/iZUgg7gyyvXAO.gif
http://i.minus.com/iowEAxM3hAsuT.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibrm7xUpbGAJMm.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibgMfrTZodDMIX.gif
http://i.minus.com/iOIDlAl5elqtl.gif

MrHicks

Banned
can someone tell me what the point is of creating an anime if the plan isn't to keep going untill the manga is complete?

such a weird thing

kirblar

can someone tell me what the point is of creating an anime if the plan isn't to keep going untill the manga is complete?

such a weird thing
Because the series is incredibly popular and is making a LOT of money. It'll be an "event" when it comes back for future (probably 13 ep) seasons.

kirblar

naruto etc make a shitton too
you don't see that going on hiatus every 13 eps
This is a monthly series where they have near-zero ability to run anime-only filler due to the series being very heavily structured around the many mysteries in it.

They've actually started a second manga adaptation based on prequel light novels, though - so it'll likely fill in for the main series in the future.

MrHicks

Banned
This is a monthly series where they have near-zero ability to run anime-only filler due to the series being very heavily structured around the many mysteries in it.

They've actually started a second manga adaptation based on prequel light novels, though - so it'll likely fill in for the main series in the future.

filler?
have they caught up to the manga already?

Branduil

filler?

No, they're not going to catch up. But you can't compare AoT to something like Naruto, it doesn't have a structure that allows for easy filler. Better comparison is Fullmetal Alchemist which was also a monthly manga.

MrHicks

Banned
No, they're not going to catch up. But you can't compare AoT to something like Naruto, it doesn't have a structure that allows for easy filler. Better comparison is Fullmetal Alchemist which was also a monthly manga.

so theres potentially dozens? of episodes left to turn into anime (no filler needed) but fuck it there gonna wait a year or some shit to then come out "surprise!!!!! new season!!!"

what a waste of time

kirblar

filler?
Only spoilering this as a precautionary measure. (only going over what parts of what chapters they adapted in this episode and how far in they are.)

This episode was the second half of Chapter 28, all of Chapter 29 and the first third of Chapter 30.

The series is currently on Chapter 48 and is a monthly series.

Branduil

so theres potentially dozens? of episodes left to turn into anime (no filler needed) but fuck it there gonna wait a year or some shit to then come out "surprise!!!!! new season!!!"

what a waste of time

Well they would have to stop at some point anyway. Adapting 25 episodes as it is killing the animators because of the poor production schedule.

what a waste of time

By the time the anime ends, there definitely won't be dozens. Maybe a dozen if they keep it at a mostly 1:1 ratio, but who wants that kind of pacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom