• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmanoBuff

Well that's just dumb.

This fear of spoilers nonsense goes too damn far sometimes.

The fact that you don't like it doesn't make this rule dumb. You call it fear for spoilers, I say it is respect for those who haven't watched the episode yet.

GAFfers come from all parts of the world and most of us don't have access to the episodes at the exact same times as the rest.

dan2026

The fact that you don't like it doesn't make this rule dumb. You call it fear for spoilers, I say it is respect for those who haven't watched the episode yet.

GAFfers come from all parts of the world and most of us don't have access to the episodes at the exact same times as the rest.

And I would argue that it is daft to come to this thread after a new episode has released and not expect people to be talking about it. Why not wait until you see it?
Its just common sense.

But hey, like the man said. A'int my rules.

AmanoBuff

And I would argue that it is daft to come to this thread after a new episode has released and not expect people to be talking about it. Why not wait until you see it?
Its just common sense.

Well, I always come to this thread to check impressions of the episodes, which almost everyone is respectful enough not to spoil.

But hey, if you like to keep calling the rules dumb and daft, you must have noticed something here that most of us other GAFfers must have failed to notice.

duckroll

Its just common sense.

Sure, but not everyone keeps up with exactly when a new episode is released on Crunchyroll, or when it airs in Japan. I think it's fair to at least have some buffer so people don't accidentally click on a thread and see a ton of spoilers for the latest episode 2 minutes after it airs in Japan. It's a big forum and having a bit of consideration is nice. No one is stopping anyone from discussing the show. Showing a little consideration is not too much to ask I think.

shira

Sure, but not everyone keeps up with exactly when a new episode is released on Crunchyroll, or when it airs in Japan. I think it's fair to at least have some buffer so people don't accidentally click on a thread and see a ton of spoilers for the latest episode 2 minutes after it airs in Japan. It's a big forum and having a bit of consideration is nice. No one is stopping anyone from discussing the show. Showing a little consideration is not too much to ask I think.

Meh not much to discuss anyway. OK episode. I guess the preview sort of confirms
Annie

dmr87

Hnnngh Levi, that is all.

We haven't heard anything about a Season 2, right? I pay no attention to the manga, does the story continue there?

Akito

Episode 22
The padding is strong with this one. That said it wasn't so bad,
Levi vs. Female Titan was short but pretty good and the scene where they had to dump Petra's corpse hit right where it hurts, fuck you Dieter :(
Preview is kinda spoiler-ish if you haven't figured it out yet.

FluxWaveZ

Episode 22 was a good episode. A pretty sad one, too.

Seeing Petra thrown off of the cart hurt. And then the squad—emotionally destroyed—go back to town where people complain about taxes and shit, support for the Survey Corps is pretty much gone and Eren is to be handed over to the "bad guys."

I thought
Levi's sprained ankle was gonna be more significant when it happened but I guess it was just to give a reason as to why he couldn't clean up Dieter's mess. Almost seemed like Levi could have just killed the female titan right there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 22:
Well, if last week was the high of highs, this week was the emotional low of lows as we finish off the Female Titan arc with little resolution, other then Eren recovered, the Female Titan incapacitated but not defeated and a lot of devastation and mourning of the lost members of the Survey Corp, which is while good, kind of strikes the same notes that the last arc did. It isn't bad but is certainly feels a bit redundant. Also, it looks like the next arc is going to be more buffoonery from the Military Police, oh goodie goodie gumdrops.

kirblar

There is zero padding in this episode. Nothing's added that wasn't in the Manga. Yes, it's not an action episode, but the toll/human cost of conflict is a major theme of the series and this episode explores that.

Jigolo

Very good ep.

Moral of the ep, don't piss off Levi. SO BADASS. It makes me want to see what Erwin can do when he has to fight. The animation in this episode was stellar.

I enjoyed watching the return to the city and the flashback reminding us that Eren has now experienced both sides. The hate felt real and I thought was portrayed very well. The people Erwin has to put up with after every expedition, all the anger of the people. But oh man, when Petra's father went up to Levi, so sad.

I can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.

Akito

There is zero padding in this episode. Nothing's added that wasn't in the Manga. Yes, it's not an action episode, but the toll/human cost of conflict is a major theme of the series and this episode explores that.
Yeah, go check again.

After a few episodes of showing what Erwin's whole team can do, this episode really hit hard in showing that at the end of the day they can just get easily outmatched. This episode gave a lot of good insight into Levi and Erwin too. They aren't heartless, but they have to handle this every time they go out, and someone in that group has to make the tough choices.

shira

Dat
body dump
was toll enough

shira

Hnnngh Levi, that is all.

We haven't heard anything about a Season 2, right? I pay no attention to the manga, does the story continue there?

It's supposed to be 25 episodes. Unless there is a really interesting bowtie ending in 3 episodes

Go_Ly_Dow

Question regarding the latest episode.

Was it the guys retrieving their dead friend that lured all the Titans or were they lured by the dead bodies?

Branduil

Attack on Titan 22

i4CzsJDqgblIS.jpg

Dang, the writers of the anime really dislike
Levi's squad members. All these anime-original scenes to twist the knife of their deaths even further.

This episode had a lot of anime-original "filler," but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Levi actually has more characterization than he had in the manga, LOL.

shira

Attack on Titan 22

Levi's squad members. All these anime-original scenes to twist the knife of their deaths even further.

This episode had a lot of anime-original "filler," but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Levi actually has more characterization than he had in the manga, LOL.

Is there a list or wiki of all the charachters, I have no idea who is who aside from the main 3 and Levis.

kirblar

S2 definitely going to happen, cause money talks (also feels like there will probably be a natural stopping point for it in the Manga coming up soon), and I suspect "S3" will actually be an adaptation of the prequel novels. I would expect 13 eps per season from here on out.

Is there a list or wiki of all the charachters, I have no idea who is who aside from the main 3 and Levis.

I'll post a list for you. One of the last names is lolololol.

Dresden

Eren
Mikasa
Armin

Levy

Jean
Potato
Moe
Annie
That Tall Girl
The Bald Kid
Reiner
Sweaty

That Coach Guy
Childhood Rescuer

Those Dead People

LogicStep

Fucking wow that beginning. Good ep, next one seems like it will be interesting.
Will Annie get found out?! Armin might be on to something?

kirblar

I'm just going to do the ones who haven't really gotten focus from the original crew.

Reiner Braun 2nd
The blonde guy w/ Jean/Armin when the female titan hit. Helped out Eren along w/ Bert when he was in danger of failing the 3DMG test.
Bertholdt Fubar 3rd
The brown haired buddy of Reiner. Pushed to help Eren after explaining he/Reiner were the only other ones from the 104th class who had actually had to run from the titans when Wall Maria fell. (The bonding scene on the bed.) lolwtf @ his last name, though.
Connie Springer 8th
The short bald dude
Sasha Braus 9th
POTATO GIRL
Christa Renz 10th
The blonde girl who saves Armin/Jean/Reiner when their horse goes missing. Normally being followed around by....
Ymir
The taller girl with the weird Dom/Sub relationship with Christa. Darker hair/features.

Don't worry, you haven't missed anything really. The combined characterization screen time of these guys so far is about 0:15 and that was all back during training.

Right in the gut, this episode was so emotional; That part when
Petra's dad comes humbly to Levi asking about Petra's marriage...so powerful
. She was one of my favorite characters.
Gunther's wife/mom (?) asking about him was another one of those moments
...These writers for AoT are very good at their craft! Hopefully these same people are the ones that stay for season 2...Great episode again, although not as action-packed.

I don't want it to end....

Velti

Neo Member
Attack on Titan 22

Geeze. One of the better episodes as of late, but yeah, real downer. Good pacing and character development with some good animation, despite some use of stills. I am forever impressed by the continuous string of unique faces.

Good gracious, Levi... talking to Petra's dad, there. HNGUH...

Also, dem's some good horses. Look at them, stopping for their riders! I bet they're like Anglo-arabs- thoroughbred Arabian crosses. Arabians are build for distance- too bad these horses don't resemble them at all.

Broke my heart even more. I don't remember those extra scenes with
Petra
from the manga but damn..twist the knife even more, will ya?

Good episode.
Those spoiled humans complaining about taxes and shit need to be Titan food immediately.

Soma

Y'know I actually liked this episode quite a bit.

Most of it was anime-original but felt somewhat natural after the events that took place.
I always felt it was strange that the manga never touched on what the Corps did with the bodies of the fallen soldiers before they returned home. The story never really took a moment to breath and reflect on the mission failure and this episode gave some of the characters some needed development.

Few more episodes to go, here's hoping that the studio can close out this show on a good note.

Namikaze

Ep. 22 was really good, and now I have a few questions. Heh.

What was the significance of the Female Titan crying?

Also, why was she so intent on capturing Eren? She's been searching for him since around ep. 17, but what was she going to do with him once they escaped the forest? It wasn't like she was trying to kill him.

Also, why was she so intent on capturing Eren? She's been searching for him since around ep. 17, but what was she going to do with him once they escaped the forest? It wasn't like she was trying to kill him.

Uhh.....Every single person in this thread has the same questions dude. No one knows.

FluxWaveZ

It kinda made me laugh. First thought was
that her fellow titan-humans wouldn't be too pleased with the fact that she fucked up. I think bringing Eren into the fold might be why he was supposed to be captured.

Magwik

Banned

Can't answer the second but to answer the first my best bet would be
because she failed her mission.

shira

There's a wiki and it will spoil everything for you.

I need like something in the OP where I can match a face to a bio. But there's like 20 new people that popped up in the last few episodes
but they all just fucking died in the last one

Right in the gut, this episode was so emotional; That part when
Petra's dad comes humbly to Levi asking about Petra's marriage...so powerful
. She was one of my favorite characters.
Gunther's wife/mom (?) asking about him was another one of those moments
...These writers for AoT are very good at their craft! Hopefully these same people are the ones that stay for season 2...Great episode again, although not as action-packed.

I don't want it to end....

Well it's pretty much a straight adaptation, so you wouldn't really notice a writer switch outside of the very rare cases like these where there's anime-only material.

Episode 22 – The Defeated - 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (6)

Well that felt like a really pointless episode and a waste of time. I dont think it was really necessary to drag out these feelings that weve already experience lots of times in the past 21 episodes for an entire episode itself.
we'd already seen Levi battle emotions with the death of his squad people last episode if I recall, Dieter and the other guy didnt really seem to be important figures anyway. Maybe the Petra scene was alright just for showing people back home and what not. But thats it. Eren scenes, and at least Jean and Armin's as usual were also great. Additionally why is the reveal taking so long to come to pass. I wanted at least more action before this anime winds down not some other town hall discussion to close out an action anime :(

mugwhump

Episode 22

Pretty good stuff here. The anime-only material continues to impress me; it's really filling some holes left by the manga. I'm also glad for the filler because it means the last few episodes probably won't be so streeeeeeeeetched.

However, watching this episode right after 21 solidified my somewhat controversial opinion that this show does titan MMA significantly better than it does 3DMG scenes.
Levi's action scenes in this ep were honestly just retarded.
LOOK AT ME I'M A FUCKING HELICOPTER SWAA SWAA MOTHERFUCKER
In the manga it wasn't that bad, since Levi was basically the only one who did the helicopter bullshit, but in the anime everyone and their mom does it, and it doesn't even make sense. They couldn't spin around without wrapping their cables around themselves. And they barely even animated Levi this ep, he was just a shiny blue line for most of it.

Aaaanyway. Really looking forward to the next 3 episodes!

She's horny and wants to snu-snu. She's crying from frustration.

mugwhump

^^Yeah, hopefully.

And I just realized something sad about ep22.
Levi gave Deiter Petra's emblem and pretended it was Ivan's :(

Also regarding the wall size thing I was talking about on the last page, here it is:
wallsizeineurope_zps878d1f6a.png

It's based on an in-between slide in the anime which said the outermost wall has a diameter of 1000 km. Personally I think it just means that the anime guys suck at geography, but yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom