• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It would be a disappointment if this is set in the future and somehow the titans overwhelmed current or future humanity. An alter history approach would be fine, though.
Does Germany or any other Euro countries have a "Giant Forest" like Titans has, or are those trees/forest unique to that future/story?
They are titan trees.

DarkKyo

Not sure why one would assume the series is set in a specific real world country.

It's likely the distant future of our earth. At one point they talk about oceans and deserts in the world outside the walls. I think this and the fact that there is basically a lot of similarities to races/countries/culture from our world and stuff like a massive redwood forest is enough to consider it possibly being our own world.

From the start I personally considered the titans to be perhaps a biological weapon from the past that wiped out most societies when they ran rampant.

kirblar

I should look into this anime my friend keeps telling me to watch it.
Go. Watch everything. Do not google anything. Do not youtube anything. Return to this thread only after having finished them all! (totally serious, you don't want to spoil this stuff.)

This isn't the future of our world unless you have a great explanation for why the best guns they have or 1700 style rifles and cannons. What exactly would a Titan do against a bunch of fighter planes? Also wouldn't it make more sense to hide in oil rigs or other floating devices where the titans couldn't possibly reach you?

FluxWaveZ

This isn't the future of our world unless you have a great explanation for why the best guns they have or 1700 style rifles and cannons. What exactly would a Titan do against a bunch of fighter planes? Also wouldn't it make more sense to hide in oil rigs or other floating devices where the titans couldn't possibly reach you?

I also had the feeling that this was actually set in a future of our world based on a very specific line of dialogue which I can't recall right now.

Micerider

I don't think so. The closest to those are probably the redwood trees in North America.

The connection between the two countries is certainly interesting.

Well, there is nothing like the Redwood trees in Europe, but there are some old forests (especially in Poland and Belarus) with 40ish meters oaks. Should be sufficient to hold off Class 15 meters titans.

Otherwise, the "country" represented makes me think of a mix between Black Forest (Germany) and Tyrol (Austria, Switzerland, Italy). Mainly inspired by Alpine germanic landscapes and culture IMO.

Edit : the Alsace region in France would also fit the bill.

DarkKyo

Regenerate?

Society crumbled and they lost the capability to run heavy technology, having to restart most of it with later generations.

Edit: Purely speculation on my part, obviously.

I also had the feeling that this was actually set in a future of our world based on a very specific line of dialogue which I can't recall right now.

Except the series very clearly says the year and the titans have only been around 100 years.

Regenerate?

Society crumbled and they lost the capability to run heavy technology, having to restart most of it with later generations.

Edit: Purely speculation on my part, obviously.

You can kill titans with cannons they're just horribly inaccurate, once the weak point is known any fighter pilot could target that with guided missiles. Also nothing has shown a Titan regenerate from nothing so you could probably nuke them.

Erigu

They straight up say that Mikasa is Half-Asian. Lol.
They said her mother was Oriental (東洋人). Not the same thing.

It's likely the distant future of our earth. At one point they talk about oceans and deserts in the world outside the walls.
Doesn't mean much of anything. A similar and simpler argument would be "the characters are human beings and we don't know of other places with human beings, so it has to be Earth".
A lot of fantasy stories out there have human beings, horses, dogs, cats, oceans, deserts, familiar sounding names and ethnic groups, etc, and yet aren't set on Earth.

They said her mother was Oriental (東洋人). Not the same thing.

Doesn't mean much of anything. A similar and simpler argument would be "the characters are human beings and we don't know of other places with human beings, so it has to be Earth".
A lot of fantasy stories out there have human beings, horses, dogs, cats, oceans, deserts, familiar sounding names and ethnic groups, etc, and yet aren't set on Earth.

I am pretty sure the subtitle specifically cites Asia as a place that existed "Long ago". I could be wrong though, it has been a few weeks.

mugwhump

Does Germany or any other Euro countries have a "Giant Forest" like Titans has, or are those trees/forest unique to that future/story?

That's interesting.

Also, somebody calculated the size of the walls based on the map/diagram of the walls in the show, and the walls would barely fit inside the entire European continent. But I feel like that's probably just a reflection of the author's poor math/geography skills.

So I think between the giant trees and the maps not reflecting any real geography, we have to assume that it takes place in some parallel universe.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That's interesting.

Also, somebody calculated the size of the walls based on the map/diagram of the walls in the show, and the walls would barely fit inside the entire European continent. But I feel like that's probably just a reflection of the author's poor math/geography skills.

So I think between the giant trees and the maps not reflecting any real geography, we have to assume that it takes place in some parallel universe.

Pause.

In the early episodes, I'm pretty sure that they state that the 2nd level walls are 150 miles away from the center.

Erigu

somebody calculated the size of the walls based on the map/diagram of the walls in the show, and the walls would barely fit inside the entire European continent. But I feel like that's probably just a reflection of the author's poor math/geography skills.
Not sure why you would blame the author when he didn't give any numbers.
I also wonder how you could possibly calculate anything based on the maps/diagrams shown in the show. It's not even like they're to scale or anything.

kirblar

I stumbled into this show a couple days ago... and now I'm caught up. Is there any anime similar to this?
FMA: Brotherhood is very good, although the rushed first third suffers a bit from the pacing. (There was a prior adaptation that covered the same space before making up its own ending.) This show is very one-of-a-kind though.

LiK

FMA: Brotherhood is very good, although the rushed first third suffers a bit from the pacing. (There was a prior adaptation that covered the same space before making up its own ending.) This show is very one-of-a-kind though.

yup, FMA or FMA: Brotherhood has a very similar feel to me as well.

Branduil

Not sure why you would blame the author when he didn't give any numbers.
I also wonder how you could possibly calculate anything based on the maps/diagrams shown in the show. It's not even like they're to scale or anything.

They probably asked the author for the numbers in the show.

Erigu

They probably asked the author for the numbers in the show.
Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember the TV series mentioning numbers either (aside from the height of the walls, of course)...

The spin-off novels did give some numbers though: Wall Maria would be 3,200 km long, and mankind would inhabit 720,000 km² of land (which would imply a radius of around 480 km, and make Wall Maria around 3,000 km long if it were a circle so it checks out).
Big numbers. Not sure about their canonical value at all though.

jediyoshi

Pretty rad mikasa figure
http://www.tomopop.com/maneuver-your-way-to-this-figma-mikasa-preview-31882.phtml

yyRZS6L.jpg

orBiG6N.jpg

CCw10FW.jpg

BuOzIWb.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It is impossible to escape the spoilers. I saw a fucking image macro spoiling who the Colossal Titan is. Show ruined. ;_;

kurahador

I stumbled into this show a couple days ago... and now I'm caught up. Is there any anime similar to this?

Just watch the first series until episode 25 (i think) and move on to FMA:Brotherhood.

NEO0MJ

I wonder how people fluent in german feel when they watch these, must be very confusing to listen to something and read something else.

It works for people who don't know german because we categorize it as gibberish since we don't know any meaning associated with the words in the language.

Just imagine a video with people speaking in English, but the subtitles are completely different.

Subitai

Just to remind everyone, Levi and Mikasa ARE WORKING TOGETHER NOW!

Remember when she wanted to kill him and Eren and to talk her down?

JulianImp

Did I click into Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (PLEASE SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING) again?

Really. Why are people still posting manga spoilers and, what's even worse, not even bothering to spoiler tag them?

Just to remind everyone, Levi and Mikasa ARE WORKING TOGETHER NOW!

Remember when she wanted to kill him and Eren and to talk her down?

Two silent badasses which are the best at slaying titans, and which are royally pissed off due to
the female titan owning their closest friends
... It's hard to avoid overhyping their confrontation, and I really hope we don't get too many flashbacks or idle exposition in the few episodes we've got left.

Talking about the end of the season, I'm still thinking about waiting for the anime... I honestly don't enjoy reading manga nearly as much as watching its anime adaptation, but I'm not sure if I'll have to wait so long to watch the continuation while avoiding spoilers that are very likely to pop up as more of the plot gets revealed through the manga.

Dali

Really. Why are people still posting manga spoilers and, what's even worse, not even bothering to spoiler tag them?.
I wonder if this happened in harry potter movie threads. I mean it says it clearly in the title and just about every other page seems like someone is still posting a spoiler and reprimanded for it. Between th warning in the title and it being a topic of discussion pretty consistently throughout this thread at some point it's gotta be intentional.

LiK

Thread title says no manga spoilers and duckroll already gave a strong warning. No one wants to know anything here that hasn't been mentioned on the TV show. Pretty easy rule to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom