• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peco

I watched all the 22 episodes in one sitting. This shit is good even if kind of predictable. But unfortunately I have no self control, so I'm starting the manga as well. Will continue to watch the anime though, I don't give a fuck, I WANT IT ALL.

kirblar

question, will eps be perma weekly like naruto, or in seasons like a tv series?
Seasons. Like Game of Thrones. Within ~6 months they'll probably have enough material for 12-13 new episodes. S4 will probably be the prequel series. And I wouldn't expect this coming out any faster than once a year.

Akito

Seasons. Like Game of Thrones. Within ~6 months they'll probably have enough material for 12-13 new episodes. S4 will probably be the prequel series. And I wouldn't expect this coming out any faster than once a year.
More like one year for each season with 12-13 episodes.

LiK

Aw, was expecting someone to have gone and made use of this
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176040684

AiOzfZd.png

Would be more awesome if the Heavy was the Colossal Titan in the pic.

Jex

It's one of the few series that would benefit from condensing movies. 1 for the Trost arc, 1 for the Female Titan arc, and have movies from here on out.

It would just benefit from better writing in general. Even compressing the arcs to enable them to flow better wouldn't help in terms of improving characterization across the board, which is something the series needs.

88random

Are new seasons confirmed or just an assumption?

Akito

I don't know if an indefinite 1:1 ratio is a good idea.
That's basically what the pace is currently and while not being optimal, it's still better than having to deal with a ton of filler epiosdes. I just don't think they want to wait too long for the next season to come out, you have to grab the money while it's hot.

lord pi

Neo Member
Is there any other anime similar to Attack on Titan in theme where humanity is backed up against the wall and the situation is pretty much always hopeless? And is good as well? I know Blue Gender is one -- which I also enjoyed. Any others?

I'd recommend Shin Sakai Yori (From the New World). It's on both CR and Hulu, I believe.

Necrovex

I'd recommend Shin Sakai Yori (From the New World). It's on both CR and Hulu, I believe.

Fully agree with this. It hit a rough patch for a few episodes (mole rats!!!!!), other than that, it is a fantastic show and one of my favorites from last year.

mugwhump

Him being the most skilled soldier we've seen so far, it doesn't seem that far fetched to me. The whole leg part was kind of odd, though, since it had little plot relevance afterwards (
why'd he go "damn, I can't fight" later on if he didn't even need his legs to swing around on his 3DMG and cut those titans to shreds, anyway?
).

Actually legs are pretty important for 3DMG. One of the diagrams showed the harnesses they use to distribute weight around the body, and apparently it's their legs that are supposed to take most of the weight.

Nibel

Just watched some scenes from Ep. 21 again

The scene where Eren transforms and the music kicks in with the crazy badass animation - one of the best moments in the entire show for me, you could feel the rage

koryuken

Just watched some scenes from Ep. 21 again

The scene where Eren transforms and the music kicks in with the crazy badass animation - one of the best moments in the entire show for me, you could feel the rage

Ok after watching all 22 episodes, I like the show quite a bit but the plot is too similar to Evangelion IMO.

Hapless hero with a female bodyguard (like Rei Ayanami). He is humanity's last hope in fighting the giant monsters but doesn't know how to control his power (Eva). Goes berserk upon seeing his comrades die. People who are supposed to be on humanity's side betray him (Shinji's dad).

kirblar

Ok after watching all 22 episodes, I like the show quite a bit but the plot is too similar to Evangelion IMO.

Hapless hero with a female bodyguard (like Rei Ayanami). He is humanity's last hope in fighting the giant monsters but doesn't know how to control his power (Eva). Goes berserk upon seeing his comrades die. People who are supposed to be on humanity's side betray him (Shinji's dad).
This series is using a massive amount of tropes - both Shonen and otherwise- but it's doing them very very well - it's intentionally not allowing the audience to feel comfortable around Titans ever and avoiding the issue of "First one was hard, second one less hard, now we've leveled up and kill 50 a day!" that plagues many similar series.

I think there's a few sly tributes to FMA in the series- one being the Arm/Leg getting severed in Ep5.

vareon

That's way of a stretch IMO.

wwm0nkey

Its like those people who say RahXephon is a clone of Eva due to minor similarities.

Dali

Fullmetal alchemist is like Eva too gaiz.

1) female body guard winry (like literally the one that takes care of his body)
2)ed gets angry when he sees his comrades killed... And when called chibi.
3)bad dudes pretending to be good guys (Bradley)

It's all there. It's like every vg character is David bowie. Every anime is an Eva ripoff. How was I so blind!

kirblar

Anyone else feel that the Anime is better than the manga?

It's not even close
Episode 21 blew the Manga out of the water because it was able to capture so much more emotion and nuance (Eren almost slipping into berserker-mode, for instance) that just doesn't have the same effect on the page. It's definitely an improvement on screen.

Alternately you can appreciate how the superficial parts of Evangelion have had a fundamental influence on anime from the last 14 years.

It's not even close
MANGA
+ can breeze through filler in a 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes
+ incredible arcs that won't be in the anime for at least six months to a year
+ fantastic art during important action sequences
- horrific art during the non-important sequences (although it's MUCH better lately)
- really hard to tell characters apart at first

ANIME
+ god-tier first opening
+ pretty catchy second opening
+ can tell characters apart
+ second chance to subtly redo some scenes from the manga (like ep 21 mentioned above)
+ better at juggling flashbacks
+ incredible animation sometimes
- awful animation sometimes
- awful pacing overall
- some episodes could be removed entirely and nobody would miss them

They aren't REALLY that different, so they make good companions to each other. If someone wanted to experience Titan I'd ABSOLUTELY tell them to power through the anime, then speed-read the remaining manga without bothering to go back to the volumes that were already covered.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the third season of the anime comes out and the manga doesn't have enough material. Maybe they'll pull a FMA (non-Brotherhood) and make their own ending.

LiK

It's not even close

yup, better art, awesome animated action sequences and fantastic music.

i understand some manga people want to get through the story quickly but i like the tension and mood the anime has WAY more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom