• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else feel that the Anime is better than the manga?

It's not even close

Pst, that's always the case! Just don't tell the mange readers cause we need them so these series can get animes!
Seriously though, I just wanted to throw this out there... this show's definitely getting picked up for a second season right? Cause, jesus, let's start an angry mob right now if not.
This show is amazing!

Based on the recommendation here I got to ep 14 of Shin Sekai Yori. It's a different sort of anime that I don't really feel will have the same crowd as Attack on Titan. It's a nice show but I don't think it's in the same sort of story and realm as Blue Gender and Attack on Titan. I can see why the OT for it wasn't very popular. I don't think I'm hooked on the story, I'm just kind of watching it.

Someone recommended Fafner earlier. Will give that a try after I finish Shin Sekai Yori. Not to go off topic but when you get to episode 8 of that show...

manfestival

Based on the recommendation here I got to ep 14 of Shin Sekai Yori. It's a different sort of anime that I don't really feel will have the same crowd as Attack on Titan. It's a nice show but I don't think it's in the same sort of story and realm as Blue Gender and Attack on Titan. I can see why the OT for it wasn't very popular. I don't think I'm hooked on the story, I'm just kind of watching it.

Someone recommended Fafner earlier. Will give that a try after I finish Shin Sekai Yori. Not to go off topic but when you get to episode 8 of that show...

I really enjoyed fafner but its really not like this show. Still a good show though

Sykotik

Based on the recommendation here I got to ep 14 of Shin Sekai Yori...

I took the recommendation for Shinsekai Yori as well. In the exact same boat as you, but I watched through episode 25. Not my kind of thing, at all. I waited for a big pay-off up 'til the very end, and I never got it.

You know what's weird? I'm waiting on the new ep of Breaking Bad and ep 23 of Attack on Titan with near identicle enthusiasm. Both are probably going to be depressing as hell, lol.

Cizard

I really enjoyed fafner but its really not like this show. Still a good show though

Fafner is a bit similar in that it has people risking their lives fighting against impossible odds but besides that it's pretty different. Titan originally reminded me a bit of Gantz for the same reason.

Shikoro

You know what's weird? I'm waiting on the new ep of Breaking Bad and ep 23 of Attack on Titan with near identicle enthusiasm. Both are probably going to be depressing as hell, lol.
The whole episode is basically a filler with a hint at the end of what's to come. Another long week ahead...

froliq

Watched 22 episodes last weekend and 23 just now. The wait begins. Glad I didn't get in from the start, these waits would've killed me.

Soma

Ep. 23

ibofknSo6qdJgo.jpg
With a guest appearance by Yu from Persona 4!

Lots of derp faces this episode but no recaps for once!

Also,
that reveal was a lot more... erotic than I remember from the manga. I'm not complaining though.

Attack On Titan 23

Fantastic tense episode though I do have one major complaint
They completely ruined the "smile" that Annie has when Mikasa goes on her "it's time to slice of the fem Titan again. The smile Annie made in the manga was super creepy and titan like, the laugh in the anime just made her look human. Link to the image for anime only viewers who are curious http://i.imgur.com/ZiiU5dL.jpg

Also not sure what was up with the complete 10 minute filler scene in the beginning of the episode, yeah it was pretty well done but I'm not sure what the point of it was.

It's only "filler" because some people want all-action all the time.

I was thinking when I first started watching the show it actually could have benefitted from a couple more 'exposition' episodes.
I mean, Erin's Mom's death is horrifying, but I feel it would have had much more impact if she had been developed as a character at all.
But I also see the importance of starting with a bang...
I think they're making great choices so far.
Edit, I have to wait for the torrent, my computer is far too slow to view it by streaming, so I'll leave you guys to it.

Not completely. They changed / stretched it, yes, but not that much (especially compared to last week).

They completely made up
the entire scene of Marlo finding his superiors selling weapons on the black market, everything up to that point was canon. When they're in the court yard and he says they need to move up that's when Armin appeared in the manga

kirblar

They completely made up
the entire scene of Marlo finding his superiors selling weapons on the black market, everything up to that point was canon. When they're in the court yard and he says they need to move up that's when Armin appeared in the manga
Neither of the scenes added in the past two episodes are bad. (In fact, the Ep22 one was really good.) They also have to end S22 and S23 where they did - and there's not really enough content in the Manga to do it without obnoxious levels of stretch-out.

GoT has added scenes too and you don't see people complaining.

Erigu

They completely made up
the entire scene of Marlo finding his superiors selling weapons on the black market, everything up to that point was canon.
Yes, but they used that to lead into the rest of Annie's manga speech. So overall, there's not that much new material, actually.
That being said, while the animated version is more eventful and better fitted for the running time, I do feel the manga did a better job of conveying Annie's thoughts. Considering that was a rare peak into her mind and worldview, that's rather unfortunate.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 23:
BEHOLD THE TRUE FACE OF EVIL WITH ITS DISTINCT ROMAN NOSE! Indeed and unsurprisingly we finally confirm the identity of The Female Titan and yea the obvious answer was indeed obvious. As an aside, I get irked at cartoonishly obvious super corruption being done out in the open, I mean seriously , that is so brazen it is being as to be caught. Anyway, really glad, we didn't drop this Female Titan business and I can only hope that Eren doesn't choke again, still not getting over the fact he whiffed those punches.

Neither of the scenes added in the past two episodes are bad. (In fact, the Ep22 one was really good.) They also have to end S22 and S23 where they did - and there's not really enough content in the Manga to do it without obnoxious levels of stretch-out.

GoT has added scenes too and you don't see people complaining.

I said the filler was good, I just don't understand the point of it outside of the obvious adding to make a full episode. Honestly I was fine with the filler expanding upon an extremely minor character in the manga, what I didn't like was
the added lines they gave Annie

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh, so the MP Courrptuion is filler as well, I now hate it even more. I mean seriously you do this shit on the down low for a reason, otherwise you just wasted some money when several passerbys ID you in court.

Akito

Episode 23
That was good, I'll take a little padding that expands on what actually happened in the manga over the recap at the beginning of the episodes any time.

Jigolo

Coros/Koros/Qoros that bitch. Now that it's finally been revealed, someone needs to kill her.

Episode 23 spoilers:
I can't believe she killed Marco

Coros/Koros/Qoros that bitch. Now that it's finally been revealed, someone needs to kill her.

Episode 23 spoilers:
I can't believe she killed Marco

That's not correct
she just stole his 3D Gear after he was already killed, the only way she could killed him is if she transformed into her fem titan form, ate him despite us never seeing her eat anyone outside of Eren to transport, then went back to human form without anyone noticing her

Sorral

Just finished watching episode 23 and my god, have to wait another long week. That ending was amazing though and worth it.

EP23 spoiler:
Annie's laugh and reaction. I think that's more freaky than her titan form.

To be honest, the anime isn't really like what many manga-readers made it out to be. It is nowhere near the bad stuff they said about it. It is amazing actually. >_>

kirblar

To be honest, the anime isn't really like what many manga-readers made it out to be. It is nowhere near the bad stuff they said about it. It is amazing actually. >_>
Much like GoT readers who complain about the series - they'll never be satisfied.

Jigolo

That's not correct
she just stole his 3D Gear after he was already killed, the only way she could killed him is if she transformed into her fem titan form, ate him despite us never seeing her eat anyone outside of Eren to transport, then went back to human form without anyone noticing her

Thats right. I went back and watched the ep where
Marco was killed and he did get bitten in half. So she probably stole the gear so that she would have a spare 3D Gear for things like...when she tried to capture Eren?

A lot of the stuff people complain about doesn't happen until after this season ends. I still like it, though.

kirblar

Thats right. I went back and watched the ep where
Marco was killed and he did get bitten in half. So she probably stole the gear so that she would have a spare 3D Gear for things like...when she tried to capture Eren?
Marco's off-camera death suddenly has an ominous air that it didn't have prior to this revelation.

Subitai

I don't know how you guys can watch this without giving into the manga.

The good news is that you have got more self control than me and haven't because right now the manga is at a series of much, much more frustrating difficult-to-wait for next chapter cliffhangers.

I actually thought they were gonna draw it out a little longer and build Annie more given how the episode started. Like maybe even more about how she can be so cold and warm blooded. I guess the black market incident is all we'll get. Anyway, still great episode for me even if the action was sparse.

Also, the best don't f*ck w/ Mikasa moment yet!

Sorral

Much like GoT readers who complain about the series - they'll never be satisfied.

This is true about some people. I won't disagree although some people do end up with some genuine concern, so it is hard to just scuff off everything they say.

A lot of the stuff people complain about doesn't happen until after this season ends. I still like it, though.

Ah, fair enough. The way some people spoke is that it will be very early though.
I still don't think that I will let it ruin my enjoyment of it especially after what they have shown in the anime so far.

I don't know how you guys can watch this without giving into the manga.

Just have a busy week and the next episode will be here before you know it. Not that a busy week is fun...

Ep 23 :

So, yeah, despite this episode not having a ton of helicopters and acrobatic I can't say that I didn't enjoy this episode as much as any of the more action oriented ones we've seen. Thoroughly enjoyed it in fact.

Expected stuff was expected. I don't think the Female Titan's identity was all that much of a mystery at this point but I'm loving the way they handled the revelation. I'm a little confused as to why there was a roadblock with going inside of the dark area, anyone want to shed some light on that?

Collete

That Annie laugh gave me serious chills....I never expected her to smile like that...Creepy....DANG CLIFF HANGERS!!!
Though I definitely didn't expect them to try and do a sneak operation like this. Though with her transforming, I have no idea how they can survive underground without the place caving in.

Also this is kind of spoilers to episode 23, but now I can finally post this video!

Nichijou/AoT opening crossover

FluxWaveZ

I'm a little confused as to why there was a roadblock with going inside of the dark area, anyone want to shed some light on that?

I think it might have something to do with the fact that
Annie wouldn't be able to transform in a place like that because of how cramped it would be?

Ep 23 :

So, yeah, despite this episode not having a ton of helicopters and acrobatic I can't say that I didn't enjoy this episode as much as any of the more action oriented ones we've seen. Thoroughly enjoyed it in fact.

Expected stuff was expected. I don't think the Female Titan's identity was all that much of a mystery at this point but I'm loving the way they handled the revelation. I'm a little confused as to why there was a roadblock with going inside of the dark area, anyone want to shed some light on that?
Annie
is no dummy and Eren is easy as fuck to read. She also knows that
Armin is a very perceptive kid
and they both got a good look at each other just a few episodes ago.
She was also using Marco's gear so she knew she'd
risk setting off alarm bells in the survey corps. I also agree that this episode was enjoyable despite the lack of action. It helps that the plot is moving forward like this and that valuable time isn't being spent on random people having flashbacks while staring into the sky slackjawed.

When's Annie?

Erigu

Ep 23 :
Expected stuff was expected. I don't think the Female Titan's identity was all that much of a mystery at this point
I don't think it really was supposed to be at that point anyway. It felt more like "let's still frame it as a reveal of sorts for those who weren't paying attention, but the actual twist would be that the good guys knew."

I think it might have something to do with the fact that
Annie wouldn't be able to transform in a place like that because of how cramped it would be?

Annie
is no dummy and Eren is easy as fuck to read. She also knows that
Armin is a very perceptive kid
and they both got a good look at each other just a few episodes ago.
She was also using Marco's gear so she knew she'd
risk setting off alarm bells in the survey corps. I also agree that this episode was enjoyable despite the lack of action. It helps that the plot is moving forward like this and that valuable time isn't being spent on random people having flashbacks while staring into the sky slackjawed.

When's Annie?

I guess within the context of,
"It's clear the jig is up with Armin's questioning", it makes more sense but I cant help but feel that just going along with them would have raised less alarms and put her in an inherently less dangerous situation. She'd already picked up on the fact that they hadn't come across anybody in the vicinity and it seems to me that going off into the dark puts you in less danger if all you have to handle are 3 people who can't use their maneuver gear vs. an entire army waiting for you on the outside with terrain that puts them at an advantage. I didn't really feel like there was any "AHA, GOTCHA" moments in this episode that would have lead to Annie immediately coming to the conclusion that going Titan to save her butt was the best possible action. I guess I felt like that there wasn't very much incriminating evidence against her as the maneuver gear situation, at best, only incriminates her for taking out the captured Titans within the wall.

... but that's just me. Also,
2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom