• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
I don't think Annie is evil.

She didn't kill Armin and Eren when she had the chance and she helped that guy with the corrupt officers.

What I am saying is: Annie NOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!! please don't die!

Moaradin

Aside from the completely predictable reveal, it was a decent episode. With that business out of the way, hopefully we can get into some more interesting stuff.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I love how this show kills off lovable characters in violent and impulsive ways. That is probably more thanks to the manga, but it makes the whole experience feel exciting.

It's like no one is safe. That being said, I really miss
Levi's crew.
. I was getting used to them.

xam3l

Ok... I want more Mikasa on screen.

If there was something that I really loved here was
when she lost control

My favorite female anime character.

NEO0MJ

when she lost control

The last two times though it ended up feeling more like a tantrum, I feel like she's ruining things instead of helping. Understandable why she's so angry, though.

GuessWho

This show is fucking top tier and I generally hate anime. I look forward to every episode the same as I look forward to the next breaking bad.

Episode 23. Those last 5 minutes....

jXXrwhc.gif

Peco

I was expecting the creepy grotesque smile, but that erotic laugh is kind of better. Now I'm way too curious to know how they're gonna end this season.
Also, that ring, damn, it gets me every time.

Ep23/speculation
So based on the comments of the MP guys, not much time has passed since the Battle of Trost (along the lines of "give Annie some rest, she was actually in a fight"). That would indicate that Annie was not transformed&trained as a titan after her MP recruitment, but way before. Her advanced skills and knowledge make more sense then. So MP has no clue, makes me wonder now if Annie was actually acting by herself. Maybe she thought she was the only one and that's why she wanted Eren and was crying when they took him away again. Basically feeling lonely?
I wonder if her father knew, it would make sense to teach her hand-to-hand combat skills as she will need them in titan form. Infiltrating the MP is also a good way go get around, based on what Armin said about needing the MP to cross the walls etc.

sohois

Ep23/speculation
So based on the comments of the MP guys, not much time has passed since the Battle of Trost (along the lines of "give Annie some rest, she was actually in a fight"). That would indicate that Annie was not transformed&trained as a titan after her MP recruitment, but way before. Her advanced skills and knowledge make more sense then. So MP has no clue, makes me wonder now if Annie was actually acting by herself. Maybe she thought she was the only one and that's why she wanted Eren and was crying when they took him away again. Basically feeling lonely?
I wonder if her father knew, it would make sense to teach her hand-to-hand combat skills as she will need them in titan form. Infiltrating the MP is also a good way go get around, based on what Armin said about needing the MP to cross the walls etc.
I think the combat training she received is a pretty big indicator that her titan powers were known by others and specifically developed. Although the far bigger indication of this are the colossal and armored titans who have both been speculated to be human/titans, suggesting there is some kind of faction with titan powers.

Masked Man

I said wow
Could
Annie's unwillingness to enter the dark tunnels
also have had something to do with
the fact that titans are (to a certain extent) dependent upon sunlight
?

NEO0MJ

Could
?

The thought crossed my mind, but I shrugged it. Annie is a human that can turn into the titan, not the other way around. It's probably because she doesn't want to be cornered underground where she can't transform. It takes some time for titans to exhaust their energy supply in the dark so that wasn't a problem and Eren transformed inside a titan so they don't need sunlight or air to trigger their transformation.

Yeah, basically it was a call back to when they tried to make Eren transform in that well to be able to handle him w/o killing. Same strategy.

tensuke

Could
?

I don't think that would matter in human form, at least. I think
she was unwilling because she couldn't reliably transform down there and she thought it could be a trap.

tensuke

Ep23/speculation
So MP has no clue, makes me wonder now if Annie was actually acting by herself. Maybe she thought she was the only one and that's why she wanted Eren and was crying when they took him away again. Basically feeling lonely?

I definitely think that
her father knows, she mentioned before that he taught her how to fight, I have to imagine that's the only reason he'd do that, so that she could get in the top 10 and move to military police for whatever reason they have, and to fight as a titan, since humans have no real need for fighting techniques themselves. She also mentioned during the training fight with Eren/Reiner about how the best fighters are moved the furthest from the titans, and how much of a farce it all is. My guess is their "faction" has some kind of beef with the government/higher-ups. She also talks about humans as if she's not one a lot so I don't think she's all there.

Nibel

Attack On 23

That was a very solid episode.

Everybody knew episodes ago who the Female Titan truly is and yet they still managed to create a excellent and convincing reveal in my opinion. It kind of reminded me of Breaking Bad S5E9 where - at least - two characters in the same room knew a secret about the other one.

I think Annie's reaction was fantastic and creepy - the way she laughed and giggled like a little girl getting caught doing something bad was really unsettling; especially the way the tone of her voice completely changed. I saw the manga pic a few pages ago and like that style as well, but the anime version seemed more frightening. The change of her personality reminded me of characters from Capcom's Ace Attorney videogame series.

And then that fucking ring. Really love to see where they'll go after this!

JulianImp

I like how Mikasa's been getting a lot more impulsive over time... it seems like the thought of repeatedly losing Eren is beginning to take its toll on her. Also, Armin looks like quite the chessmaster as of late, weaving plots behind the audience's back (I guess most of the survey corps knew about it, though). I like the way some characters are getting developed as of late.

Based on the preview, I'd say ep24 will
set up the fight between titan Eren and Annie, since it seems Eren will spend most of the episode not willing to fight a former colleague while Annie wrecks shit up, possibly until she does something that makes him snap or Mikasa/Armin manage to convince him
. If that's the case, I guess ep25 will
cover their fight and its conclusion. Given the show's tendency to subvert viewer spectations, I'd say things could end with Annie about to get captured, only to be killed by someone else or by herself

Also, about the whole Coros/Koros/Qoros thing, I'm partial towards Koros(u) since that's the way it'd be written in japanese, even though I'm not used to romanization systems.

when she lost control

Dude, I like Mikasa, but she's basically a human golden retriever. ie, Erin's pet.
My favorite female character is annie, until
if and when we find out she's secretly dick whipped by a bishi sociopath.
]

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 23

You know, if you could edit out all the filler from this series you'd probably have a strong 13 episode show.

[Attack on Titan] - 23

You know, if you could edit out all the filler from this series you'd probably have a strong 13 episode show.

And if you don't, we have a really strong 25 episode show.
I mean, honestly every part that's been pointed out to be filler by you guys has been one of my favorite parts. I'm starting to think the filler is better than the canon stuff.

DarkKyo

Can someone make a list of the episodes iI should watch without the fillers?

There is no filler, or at least not enough to justify missing an episode. If anything just don't watch the recap episode. Everything else is great and is close enough to the manga that it makes no difference.

Kind of keeping it related to my previous post two weeks ago. It was impossible to miss that nose. Now that they confirmed that titans look very much alike the person is easy to infer who are the other especial titans (as long as they keep some flesh in their faces, that is).

So now I wonder if the colossal titan was made the way it is to make it less clear for the audience.

fanboi

Banned
There has been very little filler episodes.

There has been a ton of character development episodes.

There has been few fighting episodes.

People are mixing character development with filler.

Erigu

There isn't that much filler, but it often is kinda bad. More importantly, the pacing would need a lot of work.
I wouldn't go as far as to say we could have had a strong 13 episode show, but around 20 episodes? I could see that. I would have liked that.

Jex

And if you don't, we have a really strong 25 episode show.
I mean, honestly every part that's been pointed out to be filler by you guys has been one of my favorite parts. I'm starting to think the filler is better than the canon stuff.
There is no filler, or at least not enough to justify missing an episode. If anything just don't watch the recap episode. Everything else is great and is close enough to the manga that it makes no difference.
There has been very little filler episodes.

There has been a ton of character development episodes.

There has been few fighting episodes.

People are mixing character development with filler.
Perhaps you misunderstand what I mean by 'filler'.

Filler is useless deadtime where nothing happens and I don't particularly care whether that material comes from the manga directly or it's anime original. Filler is: three minutes re-caps to start every episode, filler is one minute of flashbacks to stuff that happened very recently, filler is four characters flatly stating that something happened which we all saw happen, filler is a nine episode Trost Arc.

It's plagued the show for sometime which, admittedly, isn't that unusual for shounen adaptations, but it still sucks. They have an episode count to reach because that's how these contracts work.

To Erigu's point, perhaps 13 episodes would be too short and I can certainly concede that. I'd have to go back and examine the series as a whole to examine what could be excised on a case by case basis but nearly every episode has fat which needs to be trimmed.

Filler is useless deadtime where nothing happens and I don't particularly care whether that material comes from the manga directly or it's anime original. Filler is: three minutes re-caps to start every episode, filler is one minute of flashbacks to stuff that happened very recently, filler is four characters flatly stating that something happened which we all saw happen, filler is a nine episode Trost Arc.

It's plagued the show for sometime which, admittedly, isn't that unusual for shounen adaptations, but it still sucks. They have an episode count to reach because that's how these contracts work.

To Erigu's point, perhaps 13 episodes would be too short and I can certainly concede that. I'd have to go back and examine the series as a whole to examine what could be excised on a case by case basis but nearly every episode has fat which needs to be trimmed.

Dude, recaps are near universal. Breaking bad freakin has em. What losing war are you fighting?
Though from my perspective, it's absolutely nothing compared to One Piece, which is absolutely nothing compared to DBZ, which is what I got used to on my way into anime, so it's all chill for me.
Edit- Also, I just checked, and Titan has a good 20 minutes after you cut the opener, the ender, and the re cap, and the preview[internal flashbacks withheld[though I didn't notice too many of these myself during my viewing]. Regular half hour tv programs have a run time of 22/21 minutes, including the opener and or closer. So, your problem may be with all televised media, not just Attack on Titan sir, lol. I used episode 15 as my test, which clocks in at about 20 min, 10 sec of original material.

DarkKyo

It's not us who misunderstands what filler means, lol.

Erigu

three minutes re-caps to start every episode
Oh, right. This week's episode made me forget about those... Heeeh.
Probably would help to have longer episodes, too (even if the overall running time and airing period of the series is the same in the end), and not just for Shingeki no Kyojin either... Spend more time working on merging those manga episodes rather than thinking of new ways to fill airtime until the next manga cliffhanger.

Agreed.

Dresden

I think 17 episodes or so would be a good place to cut it down to - take out the recaps and you've already removed one episode or more, for example. It wouldn't help some of the other faults of the series, but it'd be a far more engaging watch.

Velti

Neo Member

I feel you, Bro. Everyone's forgotten the pain we suffered at Trost.

Let's get married
and write our own show.

Attack On Titan - Episode 23

I had to go back an episode because they just jumped right into a new part, I thought I may have skipped an episode but I guess not. Except for that weird jump to the
Annie and the Military Police new characters
it was a decent dramatic episode.

kingkitty

Pacing wouldn't be as bad if anime was just an hour long! But it's not :/

also on this ep,
the Annie reveal was pretty good. Even if it was obvious she was the female titan since like...the first time the titan appeared lol...

LiK

23 done. Loved that it focused on
Annie
who was also one of my fave characters on the show. And my guess was also correct but I loved how they revealed it.

Is it me or is every shot just gorgeous in this ep? Especially he close-ups of
Annie
. I took so many goddamn screenshots. XD

i took this exact same screenshot as well XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom