• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Attack on Titan 23
The laugh and parkour chef were pretty silly Araki embellishments, though. Annie's smile in the manga was more effective, especially with how similar it looked to the female titan's smile. That parallel was lost with the laugh.

What's interesting is that apparently that scene wasn't completely Araki.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/isayamahazime/archives/8058965.html

Basically the gist is
the laughing scene was a draft that Isayama took out of the manga and notes that he regretted doing so.

Branduil

Well, that's interesting. I think his original decision was better, although it seems like in that rough draft
Annie is crying while laughing.
I think that would have been better than what we got, too.

After seeing how badass Mikasa and Levi have been lately, I kind of wonder how strong the commander of the survey corps is (Erwin Smith)......

206431.jpg

If you go back and watch episode 1, he's fighting with the survey corps in the opening scene. Which means he's been around (survived) a long time. Think he's stronger than Mikasa and Levi?

Erigu

Well, that's interesting. I think his original decision was better, although it seems like in that rough draft
Annie is crying while laughing.
I think that would have been better than what we got, too.
Yep, I was just writing a post about that.
He talks about a combination of guilt, loneliness, fear, embarassment, and sudden relief as she can finally drop the "taciturn badass" act and be a normal 16 year old girl again. The sketches are nice, too.
But the end result in the TV series... Nope. I didn't get that at all. Just felt like a supposedly scary, crazy, possibly drunken psycho laugh (with a considerable amount of ahegao potential). Damn it, Araki.

Branduil

After seeing how badass Mikasa and Levi have been lately, I kind of wonder how strong the commander of the survey corps is (Erwin Smith)......

206431.jpg

If you go back and watch episode 1, he's fighting with the survey corps in the opening scene. Which means he's been around (survived) a long time. Think he's stronger than Mikasa and Levi?

Well, Levi trusts him unconditionally. That should say something.

sohois

Erwin strikes me as the ideas man, the Armin to Levi's Mikasa. He can probably still wreck shit but I doubt he's on the level of Levi.

tensuke

Erwin doesn't seem as nimble as Levi, I'd imagine Levi is much quicker in his attacks (as shown in his amazing attack on the female titan). Erwin seems the smarter commander type. He's also probably physically stronger than Levi, but I don't know how much that helps against a titan.

sohois

Soriku said:
Are they gonna start summoning Personas next episode?

If Yu 'broswagonist' Narukami is there, then the only outcome is that he ends up saving the day by
seducing Female Titan Annie

Fury Sense

Just got into this... wish I had found out about it in two weeks rather than a few days ago. OUT OF EPISODES!

I wonder... how soon were we supposed to realize (EP 23)
it was Annie? When the scene opens on her, I think that's the immediate thought in viewers' heads. Could we have guessed it sooner?

I'm sure this is in the thread somewhere already but...

Q7BcztI.gif

edited with spoiler tags, sorry!

Soriku

I wonder... how soon were we supposed to realize it was Annie? When the scene opens on her, I think that's the immediate thought in viewers' heads. Could we have guessed it sooner?

You can guess by the fact that
both the Female Titan and Annie look the same

Cloudy

Banned
Erwin doesn't seem as nimble as Levi, I'd imagine Levi is much quicker in his attacks (as shown in his amazing attack on the female titan). Erwin seems the smarter commander type. He's also probably physically stronger than Levi, but I don't know how much that helps against a titan.

Hmm I remember him bossing it up in the opening scene of the show

Kinyou

I'm a little bit disappointed that it really turned out to be
Annie
, was hoping that they were just feeding us wrong clues. But now I'm really interested in what her motivations are. I hope it's more than just "Cause I'm evil, hahaha"

Dali

I'm a little bit disappointed that it really turned out to be
Annie
, was hoping that they were just feeding us wrong clues. But now I'm really interested in what her motivations are. I hope it's more than just "Cause I'm evil, hahaha"
I'm more interested in how it happened. Like was
she
created by whatever put the Titans on the planet in the first place and born with the purpose of destroying the humans already ingrained in
her
(or indoctrinated by family) or was
she
created like eren: just a regular human injected with shit.

For that matter this episode just raises questions I asked a long time ago like " if the Titans can materialize anywhere why are they acting as though the walls are an obstacle? " Also knowing the walls aren't an obstacle why haven't they finished off the humans when it's clear a strike from within the walls would catch them completely off guard?

FluxWaveZ

Also knowing the walls aren't an obstacle why haven't they finished off the humans when it's clear a strike from within the walls would catch them completely off guard?

I think their motive is a bit more complicated than simply wiping out humanity. It's probably way riskier to transform within the walls, too, as the next episode might indicate (or not since
the female titan is OP
).

Dali

I think their motive is a bit more complicated than simply wiping out humanity. It's probably way riskier to transform within the walls, too, as the next episode might indicate (or not since
the female titan is OP
).
I hope so. So far it seems the Titans have no use for humans though.

Maybe one would be vulnerable but all three within the wall at the same time? They'd be fucked.

Kinyou

I'm more interested in how it happened. Like was
she
created by whatever put the Titans on the planet in the first place and born with the purpose of destroying the humans already ingrained in
her
(or indoctrinated by family) or was
she
created like eren: just a regular human injected with shit.

For that matter this episode just raises questions I asked a long time ago like " if the Titans can materialize anywhere why are they acting as though the walls are an obstacle? " Also knowing the walls aren't an obstacle why haven't they finished off the humans when it's clear a strike from within the walls would catch them completely off guard?
Yep, there are certainly lots of unanswered question. I still have some hope left
that Annie might have some good intentions, after all did she always seem very reasonable in "human" form.

Subitai

Yep, there are certainly lots of unanswered question. I still have some hope left
that Annie might have some good intentions, after all did she always seem very reasonable in "human" form.
Go back and watch episode 4.
Her exchange w/ Eren during training is much more chilling.

LogicStep

I hope so. So far it seems the Titans have no use for humans though.

Maybe one would be vulnerable but all three within the wall at the same time? They'd be fucked.

You guys have to remember what Levi and Mikasa did to her in the forest. That and what Levi's squad did to her before them. There seems to be a good number of soldiers more than capable of dealing with them if it came down to that. I mean, why else wouldn't they have all gone in at the same time if they could overpower anyone that could oppose them.

A lot of things don't make sense to me, that's why I'm really looking forward to the reveal of their purpose. Where did they come from and why are they doing what they're doing?

Dali

That's not chilling at all. It makes it seem as though the system is where her real disdain is aimed. Like the people in charge are more interested in covering their own fat asses by retaining the best recruits and keeping them close to home. She's disgusted with the system, not humanity so much. The corruption angle is even brought up again
in this most recent episode where she acts indifferent or feels doing away with it is futile yet ultimately she says she'll help the idealistic teammate that gets his ass stomped.

You guys have to remember what Levi and Mikasa did to her in the forest. That and what Levi's squad did to her before them. There seems to be a good number of soldiers more than capable of dealing with them if it came down to that. I mean, why else wouldn't they have all gone in at the same time if they could overpower anyone that could oppose them.

A lot of things don't make sense to me, that's why I'm really looking forward to the reveal of their purpose. Where did they come from and why are they doing what they're doing?
Which is why I say maybe one would be a bad idea.... Maybe... But if the three we know about
with perhaps more not yet revealed
all appeared at once they'd need a few platoons of Mikasa and Levi. Also Levi pretty much did everything so even Mikasa almost got it.

And Levi's squad had time to setup their harpoon cannons. They knew the exact path she would be taking in pursuit of eren. That sort of opportunity would be nonexistent if they suddenly appeared onside the walls.

Kinyou

Which is why I say maybe one would be a bad idea.... Maybe... But if the three we know about
with perhaps more not yet revealed
all appeared at once they'd need a few platoons of Mikasa and Levi. Also Levi pretty much did everything so even Mikasa almost got it.
Lets also not forget that the female titan went through quite some shit before she faced Levi. I imagine that he would have had a much harder time if she hadn't been exhausted by transforming multiple times and fighting with Eren.

Maybe that's
even her motive, fighting the corrupt system. However that wouldn't really explain why she'd just murder all those recon group members.

LogicStep

It's not really clear if she's working with the other two. It feels like she has her own agenda.

I dunno man, Armin goes into detail when they were outside the wall saying how they were making their move into the city but when Eren appeared they stopped. She was looking for him to catch him and take him away so I don't know. It wouldn't make sense if they have different purposes.

Dali

I dunno man, Armin goes into detail when they were outside the wall saying how they were making their move into the city but when Eren appeared they stopped. She was looking for him to catch him and take him away so I don't know. It wouldn't make sense if they have different purposes.
She wants to whisk him away and train him to be a titan that can properly fight for the good of humanity. Tortuous training like pai mei style type shit.

JulianImp

Maybe that's
even her motive, fighting the corrupt system. However that wouldn't really explain why she'd just murder all those recon group members.

Perhaps it's more like
she murders those that decide to follow their so-called leaders, helping perpetuate the system she seems to despise so much. She'd help others start a revolution, but perhaps she believes when it comes down to it, nobody else is actually willing to do it (like the MP guy during the CORRUPTION!! scene). I think she'd like to protect the weak, but has no regards for the lives of those who have sworn to protect the government

JulianImp

http://shingeki.tv/products/bd_04.php

The Eren-Mikasa-Armin power trio each got their own cover, but poor Jean has to share the spotlight with Connie and Marco.

Connie?! If it were Jean and Marco I'd kind of be okay with it, but Connie has no business being in that cover.

I'll try to grab some bluerays the day they're released in the US (I mean, the JP version doesn't even have JP subs, let alone EN ones, right?).

EDIT: If there're two volumes to go and they only use 104th battallion characters, I'd guess they'll be mirroring the S2 ending with
Krista+Ymir (with random Sasha, I guess), and Annie, Reiner and his buddy for the other one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom