• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

I'm not too fond of the new military police characters as a whole, but that carefree girl and Yu Narukami were pretty cool.

New waifu looks pretty chill. Though at this point unless a character has plot armor a million miles thick, I've stopped getting attached to new ones :|

so, what happens when you watch 22 episodes of this show and then take a nap on 9/16/2013? I'll tell you what happens, you get a nightmare of yourself trying to pickup gta v when titans appear and try to eat you. it happened to me dammit!

anyways, I'm still waiting for episode 23 on xbox live.

kirblar

Reminds me of a friend who went to look up the name of the wife on Dexter before the end of the fourth season, and google autocompleted his search to "Dexter's wife --
dies/why did she die/killed by Trinity
"

He didn't even make it to the actual search results!
It's trying to prevent him from getting to season 5.

Reminds me of a friend who went to look up the name of the wife on Dexter before the end of the fourth season, and google autocompleted his search to "Dexter's wife --
dies/why did she die/killed by Trinity
"

He didn't even make it to the actual search results!

Well, wikipedia is the one that did me in. I giant spoiler in the first sentence of her bio.
I was just trying to figure out who was who. But I suppose that's my fault.

tensuke

so, what happens when you watch 22 episodes of this show and then take a nap on 9/16/2013? I'll tell you what happens, you get a nightmare of yourself trying to pickup gta v when titans appear and try to eat you. it happened to me dammit!

anyways, I'm still waiting for episode 23 on xbox live.

When does it go up on Live? I can give you a CR guest pass if you want.

NEO0MJ

I still feel like,
if she was a brunette, I would have at least been a little unsure though. But they said, it's one of us, and the question inevitably becomes so who's the one blond chick on the entire show? lol.

For the audience it becomes much easier, but for characters on the show it becomes a different matter. While I'm sure her face and hair helped, I doubt they could have built a case against her with just those.

Someone said not to read a profile on wikipedia and...you did just that?
Why?
Don't kick em while he's down! There are now spoilers which can never be unspoiled.

Though by the same token, everyone will be spoiled once the season ends and there's no reason not to devour the manga on a single sitting.

Palmer_v1

Someone said not to read the profile of someone on wikipedia...
And well...It snowballed from there. I'm not pure and innocent anymore, I'm sorry guys T_T

I did the same thing as well. Definitely some cool stuff ahead, and I look forward to seeing how they end this season of the anime.

No regerts!

Collete

Someone said not to read a profile on wikipedia and...you did just that?
Why?

Well...The person they told me not to read up, I kind of already had a good feeling what was happening with the amount of "hinting" in this thread ages back.
And people already ruined it for me who the armored titan is, and I felt I had nothing to lose at that point.
I can just say, you guys will definitely have fun on the upcoming episodes.

Don't kick em while he's down! There are now spoilers which can never be unspoiled.

Though by the same token, everyone will be spoiled once the season ends and there's no reason not to devour the manga on a single sitting.

Yeah, those damn manga readers will spoil it before we get a chance! T_T

I did the same thing as well. Definitely some cool stuff ahead, and I look forward to seeing how they end this season of the anime.

No regerts!

I regret it.
I do kind of wish I didn't look up any of them. But with how much people were spoiling it to me it's just eh.

I'm not! It's just kinda silly, isn't it?
Oh it's risky, borderline suicidal behavior. You're playing Russian Roulette when you pick a character a background at random. I probably wouldn't assume though, that Ymir does [whatever her spoilers were].

It's true though that as an example, you might look up Military Policeman Yu Narukami on wikipedia just to see if he's actually a Persona homage. But then first sentence might refer to his tragic death at Sacha's potato factory in volume 47 of the manga. It'd be a double spoiler of the time of his death, and that there's a potato factory arc where Eren takes five episodes to move a boulder-sized bag of potatoes.

Yonafunu

Oh it's risky, borderline suicidal behavior. You're playing Russian Roulette when you pick a character a background at random. I probably wouldn't assume though, that Ymir does [whatever her spoilers were].

It's true though that as an example, you might look up Military Policeman Yu Narukami on wikipedia just to see if he's actually a Persona homage. But then first sentence might refer to his tragic death at Sacha's potato factory in volume 47 of the manga. It'd be a double spoiler of the time of his death, and that there's a potato factory arc where Eren takes five episodes to move a boulder-sized bag of potatoes.

This is exactly what I mean. I've read the manga, so it's no big deal to me, but it's still kinda stupid.

I think a bigger problem though is the way speculation and spoilers are being handeled in these kinds of thread. Whenever someone says something that seems to make sense, others start calling them out as being a manga-reader, and spoiling stuff, when that very well may not be the case. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of that here yet, but it ruined the Game of Thrones thread for me (even though I'm a book-reader).
Just treat everything as speculation, and you'll be fine (as an anime-only watcher).

Palmer_v1

This is exactly what I mean. I've read the manga, so it's no big deal to me, but it's still kinda stupid.

I think a bigger problem though is the way speculation and spoilers are being handeled in these kinds of thread. Whenever someone says something that seems to make sense, others start calling them out as being a manga-reader, and spoiling stuff, when that very well may not be the case. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of that here yet, but it ruined the Game of Thrones thread for me (even though I'm a book-reader).
Just treat everything as speculation, and you'll be fine (as an anime-only watcher).

Right. Calling someone out as spoiling something implies they are right, which really does spoil it for others regardless of the original post. The opposite has the same effect. If people jump in to say something ISN'T a spoiler, you're just confirming things in a different way. Even just knowledge that characters are still alive past certain points should be considered spoilers in a series like this. It removes the tension of seeing Eren eaten in ep whatever, if you already know he comes back as a titan later. I was honestly shocked when it happened and thought it was going to be the Mikasa&Armin Super Fun Time show after that.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
fh380.gif

(*´д`*)ハァハァ

JulianImp

This made me forget the fact we were discussing fun-nuking spoilers for a second. Thanks.

Right. Calling someone out as spoiling something implies they are right, which really does spoil it for others regardless of the original post. The opposite has the same effect. If people jump in to say something ISN'T a spoiler, you're just confirming things in a different way. Even just knowledge that characters are still alive past certain points should be considered spoilers in a series like this. It removes the tension of seeing Eren eaten in ep whatever, if you already know he comes back as a titan later. I was honestly shocked when it happened and thought it was going to be the Mikasa&Armin Super Fun Time show after that.

Yeah, that's also a problem. If someone went "Don't worry, Eren isn't down for the count yet" after ep5 and people immediately jumped down on him/her/ir, that'd let non-spoiled people realize that person had just said the truth.

I mean, when someone got spoiled about something related to Ymir, I immediately remembered some past speculation (that could very well be spoilers) about
a giant who had the same name in Norse mythology
, but I was torn between talking about it or not because, since it isn't something I came up with myself (I'm not too well-versed in that topic), I still am not sure whether it was a spoiler in disguise or not.

I think people who spoil future events should get talked down via PM rather than shot down through the thread, and it'd be best if we staid off of each other's speculation; that way no one would know how true or false another user's spoiler-tagged text was unless they already knew by reading the manga, a wiki article or a google image search gone wrong. However, that'd probably detract from the whole "discussion" aspect this thread is about. Ah, decisions...

RedSwirl

All I'm saying is most video game wikis I've looked at actually make an effort to cover up spoilers with tabs that are closed by default or whatever. The AOT wiki until a while ago didn't cover up shit. ONE paragraph on a link from the main page revealed ALL the titan shifters, and now I basically can't participate in this thread at all because I can't say even one word about what's been posted on the last couple pages.

BIGWORM

So, my main question for quite a while since
spoiling to myself that Annie is the female titan is why is she trying to capture Eren, obviously knowing he's a titan? Are there more titans like Annie? Is it a superiority thing?

wildfire

Banned

Thanks for the link. I'm wondering if the translations are accurate because there are ideological differences about what it means to be a warrior and a soldier.

Reiner during that hand to hand session may have been making a sly remark to earlier days when Reiner and Annie were being recruited for the Titan army and that she should know her place is to be that of the soldier, the cog to a larger war machine.

Annie in Ep 23 comments on her failure to be a warrior. Warriors are the most proficient at warfare and are highly independent thinkers. This mindset runs counter to the standards of being a good soldier who needs to know how to follow orders and be reliable to work well with other soldiers.

If the translation is accurate, I'm guessing the events of the Explorer Corps' latest expedition beyond the wall was Annie doing a solo act that didn't have the support of the other sentient Titans.

I'm still trying to figure out what the bet she was making. It would shed some light on her motivations.

She wants to whisk him away and train him to be a titan that can properly fight for the good of humanity. Tortuous training like pai mei style type shit.

Ha should've kept reading the thread before posting. I suspect you hit the nail on the head.

dan2026

Does anyone else find it really bizarre how popular Titan has become in such a short period of time since the anime started.

Just goes to show how nobody reads much these days.

kirblar

Does anyone else find it really bizarre how popular Titan has become in such a short period of time since the anime started.

If a Manga's good, it generally gets adapted. Manga's a niche thing outside of Japan.

Saw a girl at Chipotle yesterday with a Recon Corps jacket, btw.

Erigu

I'm wondering if the translations are accurate because there are ideological differences about what it means to be a warrior and a soldier.
In the manga, Reiner says she's not fit to be a soldier ("heishi"), but in the TV series, that got changed to "warrior" ("senshi").

(Also, please don't post any manga spoilers at all, not even behind spoiler tags.)

It was always massively popular in Japan and was one of the top read manga series overseas. Anime is just bigger than manga in the western world.

No only do we have a GAF manga thread where you can talk about any part of Attack on Titan without having to use spoiler tags, but there is also a specific AoT manga thread where you can also talk about the manga. There really is no reason to talk about manga spoilers in here.

JulianImp

Oh, beautiful... Thought I was reading some speculation, then it turns out it was some freaking manga spoiler posted in the "no manga spoilers" thread.

I mean, why do people even post this kind of stuff, spoiler tags or not?

It seems this happened a lot in the GoT thread. A combination of people not reading the title or rules, being inconsiderate, and posting spoilers under the guise of speculation so as to appear as clever or intelligent once the spoiler'd text came to pass in the actual show.

It's happened so many times in this thread I wonder if a mod laying the smackdown would cause people to think twice before posting spoilers.

It seems this happened a lot in the GoT thread. A combination of people not reading the title or rules, being inconsiderate, and posting spoilers under the guise of speculation so as to appear as clever or intelligent once the spoiler'd text came to pass in the actual show.

It's happened so many times in this thread I wonder if a mod laying the smackdown would cause people to think twice before posting spoilers.

A mod already has laid some smackdown. It apparently hasn't helped.

zulux21

So, what are the chances this will get a second season?

it will get more anime at some point...
though it might end up moving to something like an OVA format
or perhaps a series of movies
or it might end up as a second tv series (13 eps) in 12-18 months
or a second tv series (26 eps) in 18-24 months

it's hard to tell at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go the movie route though.

it will get more anime at some point...
though it might end up moving to something like an OVA format
or perhaps a series of movies
or it might end up as a second tv series (13 eps) in 12-18 months
or a second tv series (26 eps) in 18-24 months

it's hard to tell at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go the movie route though.
I'll be sad if it goes the agonizing Berserk route of:

• 26 pretty great episodes
  • Long period of nothing
  • Trilogy of movies announced and everyone gets excited
  • Turns out trilogy spans the same material as first 26 episodes
  • Trilogy is pretty a-ok but not mind-blowing in its divergence/condensing
  • Manga meanwhile continues on with cool stuff, destined to never to be animated
  • Rumors but no official announcement of continuing the movies, stabbing me in the heart, every single day
15 years of Berserk anime, 15 years of heartbreak for not letting him swing his iconic ridiculous sword on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom