• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be sad if it goes the agonizing Berserk route of:

• 26 pretty great episodes
  • Long period of nothing
  • Trilogy of movies announced and everyone gets excited
  • Turns out trilogy spans the same material as first 26 episodes
  • Trilogy is pretty a-ok but not mind-blowing in its divergence/condensing
  • Manga meanwhile continues on with cool stuff, destined to never to be animated
  • Rumors but no official announcement of continuing the movies, stabbing me in the heart, every single day
15 years of Berserk anime, 15 years of heartbreak for not letting him swing his iconic ridiculous sword on screen.

As a fan of Ruroni Kenshin I understand your pain, my favorite arc of that will never get a true anime adaptation.

zulux21

• Long period of nothing
  • Manga meanwhile continues on with cool stuff, destined to never to be animated
  • Rumors but no official announcement of continuing the movies, stabbing me in the heart, every single day
15 years of Berserk anime, 15 years of heartbreak for not letting him swing his iconic ridiculous sword on screen.

I don't think there is much worry about that. It's a different time then when Berserk came out for one. Two the merchandise potential from attack on titan is way bigger than Berserk.

But at the same time I keep trying to say that another season isn't a sure thing. It's popular sure, but there are other factors aside from popularity such as if the creator even wants their work made into an anime again (see fruits basket or Yotsuba&!(no anime)/azumanga diaoh(had an anime that the creator didn't like) as example of popular stuff that hasn't gotten more anime because the creator didn't like how the earlier anime turned out)

Branduil

If there are AoT movies(besides the live-action one), they'll likely be a re-edit of the show with some additional footage. They could easily condense this season into two full-length movies.

Hellix

If there are AoT movies(besides the live-action one), they'll likely be a re-edit of the show with some additional footage. They could easily condense this season into two full-length movies.

So kind of like what they did with Death Note Relight/Rewrite.

• Long period of nothing

I don't think we have to worry about Isayama putting his series on hold for years at a time to play Idolmaster. Or at least I hope not.

Platy

7ziaPhr.png
http://talongc.tumblr.com/post/61390761954/sword-pokemon-its-about-time

Soriku

Years of silence...then there's news about a new upcoming anime...about a retelling of Kyoto Arc.

Why they decided to do a retelling of an arc that was already perfect over the arc that hasn't been properly animated yet is beyond me.

xam3l

I don't see many posts about the soundtrack. Has anybody listen to it?
I got the impression that half the tracks doesn't appear in the anime but damn that's some good stuff. *.*

Collete

I don't see many posts about the soundtrack. Has anybody listen to it?
I got the impression that half the tracks doesn't appear in the anime but damn that's some good stuff. *.*

I have listened to it and it's bloody amazing.
I hear the second sound track comes out sometime in October 13th if I recall correctly.

jett

D-Member
A lot of people recommended this show in a recent anime thread, so I decided to check it out.

I fucking 3D maneuvered myself through every single available show. Despite the dull and slow-ass episodes where fuck-all happens, the badass moments are too badass. Episodes 5, 8 and 21 are the highlights of the show so far for me. I guess it's just something we have to endure to get a few eps with awesome animation, huh? :p Wouldn't be so bad if the dialogue wasn't overwrought and the characters didn't take 48 hours to get to the point they're trying to make. I'd rather have fewer but better paced episodes. Definitely not a perfect show, but also definitely very entertaining. Levi going to task on the female titan is probably the single best scene in the show yet.

Oh and side characters drop like flies in this thing. I have little doubt that most of the MP characters that were introduced in Episode 23 will be dead before long. :p

Dresden

Some details about the bonus visual novels (specifically, the Mikasa story) included with the third BD volume:

Based on the same site (the admin played Mikasa’s story later and posted a summary), it’s a side story that takes place around Ep. 7 where Mikasa runs out of gas and falls.

She then has a dream/vision/thing about a alternate world where everyone lived and almost no one died, then wakes up back in the real world on the fruit stand with the broken blade.

Then “Fight!” “If I die, I won’t be able to remember you.” “It was like seeing the reification of mankind’s anger”, etc. The End.

The Alternate World (In More Detail):

The knock at the door was the Jaegers, not the kidnappers.
The kidnappers got eaten by wolves or dogs
Her mom is alive and pregnant with a baby brother(?) (this is why the Jaegers pay multiple visits)
After the Survey Corps return, they seal up the Walls and the Survey Corps is disbanded.
[Something about Eren getting beaten up pretty badly by that one guy Eren tried to hit with a stick. The details they give here are kind of fuzzy.]
The Colossal Titan never shows up.
Eren builds an airplane with Armin and dies trying to fly it.

Dahbomb

Oh man stuff was going slow in this episode and I didn't know what the hell was going on until near the end where shit escalated WAY too quickly! And then the cliffhanger... god damn.

I fucking 3D maneuvered myself through every single available show. Despite the dull and slow-ass episodes where fuck-all happens, the badass moments are too badass. Episodes 5, 8 and 21 are the highlights of the show so far for me. I guess it's just something we have to endure to get a few eps with awesome animation, huh? :p Wouldn't be so bad if the dialogue wasn't overwrought and the characters didn't take 48 hours to get to the point they're trying to make. I'd rather have fewer but better paced episodes. Definitely not a perfect show, but also definitely very entertaining. Levi going to task on the female titan is probably the single best scene in the show yet.

Yes, all of those things. The show is absolutely incredible at times, and a total Inuyasha-tier pointless dialogue snoozefest at others. It's definitely not perfect, but I can't help but recommend it to everyone I know.

A lot of people recommended this show in a recent anime thread, so I decided to check it out.

Oh and side characters drop like flies in this thing. I have little doubt that most of the MP characters that were introduced in Episode 23 will be dead before long. :p

Man... I don't know, I just don't get that. It's like people can't just talk in a show anymore?

Man... I don't know, I just don't get that. It's like people can't just talk in a show anymore?

There's a difference between good dialogue and AoT dialogue. Like right now I'm watching and loving Monster, a very dialogue-heavy series. The dialogue in Monster moves the plot forward very well, traversing the series' tension, suspense and developing all of its characters magnificently. AoT uses dialogue to repeat things we already know or for inner monologues about things we just saw happen. It serves no purpose a lot of the time.

There's a difference between good dialogue and AoT dialogue. Like right now I'm watching and loving Monster, a very dialogue-heavy series. The dialogue in Monster moves the plot forward very well, traversing the series' tension, suspense and developing all of its characters magnificently. AoT uses dialogue to repeat things we already know or for inner monologues about things we just saw happen. It serves no purpose a lot of the time.

Well I've endured Watching the Walking Dead, so maybe I just have better tolerance, but AoT seems to be great in all areas to me. Watching them deal with there pst just nails everything home for me. I loved all the dialogue so far... well, I felt like during the female titan in the forest thing maybe they talked to much, just talking about being confused about what they were doing for too long...
But otherwise, I see most stuff as necessary, if not enjoyable, character building and exposition.
But I love MGS too, so there you go I guess.

DarkKyo

I'm completely satisfied by all the non-action in AoT. It balances perfectly for me. People have such short attention spans...

Love the show but do find some of the dialogue repetitive

I think we've finally come to the point where everyone can stop talking about how terrified of death they are at every conceivable point in time

I mean it was certainly worth discussing but at this point it just feels like they've reiterated it about a dozen times too many

Also the facial expressions of the titans are just unnecessary

Oh and can someone point me to a post that discusses "the subversion of many typical shounen tropes" that AOT achieves (threads a bit long to go through)

I watch a fair bit of anime but usually don't discuss it so would love to read about this

Oh and can someone point me to a post that discusses "the subversion of many typical shounen tropes" that AOT achieves (threads a bit long to go through)
Uh, there's really only one, and that's the twist in episode five. But then they undo it two episodes later. I like the show but I would never in a bazillion years cite it as subverting anything.

I thiiiink TV tropes doesn't have a catch-all list of typical shounen tropes, just a list of shounen anime and the tropes they contain, but here's a collection of the typical ones.

FluxWaveZ

Uh, there's really only one, and that's the twist in episode five. But then they undo it two episodes later. I like the show but I would never in a bazillion years cite it as subverting anything.

I would say that the triumphant moment turning into despair when the Colossal Titan appears for the second time is also a subversion of what one would usually expect.

Guess I'm not too familiar with the genre, but I wouldn't expect things to go so wrong consistently either, like
Levi's squad getting wiped out when they always insisted that Eren should have faith in them

I watch a fair bit of anime but usually don't discuss it so would love to read about this

I don't think many people have said that other than "it's dark". Hunter x Hunter is more a of a shounen subversion than AoT, which is pretty much its own thing with some shounen tropes thrown in.

I thiiiink TV tropes doesn't have a catch-all list of typical shounen tropes, just a list of shounen anime and the tropes they contain, but here's a collection of the typical ones.

I don't think many people have said that other than "it's dark". Hunter x Hunter is more a of a shounen subversion than AoT, which is pretty much its own thing with some shounen tropes thrown in.

Yeah to be honest that's what I thought but I've heard that exact thing pretty much word for word from some fans of the show and I didn't get it

Also it's in the description of the show in the OP but maybe that's taken from somewhere

I agree the episode 5 twist would only count as subversion if it was never undone

I expected it to be the moment it happened. All the twist caused was for me to figure out how they would undo it

I would say that the triumphant moment turning into despair when the Colossal Titan appears for the second time is also a subversion of what one would usually expect.

Guess I'm not too familiar with the genre, but I wouldn't expect things to go so wrong consistently either, like
Levi's squad getting wiped out when they always insisted that Eren should have faith in them

There's definitely a lot of despair in it and it does kill a lot more charecters off then other animes but not sure its that subversive

wildfire

Banned
Editted by requset

*defensive implications removed*

Then I don't know what else can be done. Other than having faith in people to not spoil things for their own amusement.

Except I'm a person who typically doesn't read manga. If I never went to comicon last year and brought Beserk on a whim I could say I never touched them.

I can explain my speculations using what exactly was given in the anime.

Branduil

If you feel someone has spoiled the manga, but aren't sure, it'd probably be a better idea to pm Dresden, Duckroll, or Kagari, instead of mentioning it in the thread.

so there is some abridged on titan the first episode isn't great but some of the shorts and the 2nd and 3rdeps aren't bad.

Has abridging run it's course yet?
Or better said, can we finally acknowledge it has? I just found out 4star existed last year, fell in love with it, and already will vomit up my lunch right now if someone repeats one of their crusty, over used memes to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom