• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

Caught episode 23 today after finalyl taking a break from Project Diva and GTA V.

That build up was great. I get the feeling though that
everyone except Eren figured it out about Annie

Screamed when it ended on that cliffhanger.

cjkeats

Why? It seemed as though he knew just as well as everyone else. Of course he was in on the plan.

Probably just that look he has on his face all the time. Looks like he's always confused.
Now that I watch it again it's more like
he was in denial, trying to get her to admit to it being a joke she was playing along with. Amin was trying to reason with her while Mikasa just wanted to fuck her up.

Probably just that look he has on his face all the time. Looks like he's always confused.
Now that I watch it again it's more like
he was in denial, trying to get her to admit to it being a joke she was playing along with. Amin was trying to reason with her while Mikasa just wanted to fuck her up.

He knew it was her just didn't want to believe it

He's naive in that way

Hello, new to the show. Episode 11 made me want to quit. Does it get better or worse from here?

Wait, just checked on ep 11. Just a theory, but are you worried the show is going to go all shonen style with erin becoming ridiculously OP? Because if that's you're worry, I'm up to 23 now and there's still no real sign of that.
My favorite arc was Trost so far myself though.

- J - D -

I think you should quit. If you're not sold by now, you're not gonna be.

Did you like it at all before that? If not, you may want to stop now. If so, your decision.

I like the concept of the show, and it was dandy until...

Wait, just checked on ep 11. Just a theory, but are you worried the show is going to go all shonen style with erin becoming ridiculously OP? Because if that's you're worry, I'm up to 23 now and there's still no real sign of that.

What this guy said. I don't like this direction the show's taking.

It's not really my only problem. I think the larger issue is the writing. It doesn't impress me in any way. For all the hype this series gets, I thought it was for more than the cool premise and its darkness/maturity.

For a while I just accepted it because the writing was easy to overlook because some cool shit was happening, but that's when episode 11 comes along, and it's almost all dialogue, and the show begins to crumble for me.

A blonde soldier named Rico gives one of the very worst monologues I've ever heard in the show, and a few of the characters have the gall to call Eren a "spoiled brat" without any grounds to do so. Why does this happen? I believe it's a formulaic way of getting allowing the protagonist to prove himself. If only one character had called him a spoiled brat, I'd chalk it up to that particular character's personality, but having more than one do it? Bad writing.

Just keep pushing through.

Suffer through it. I wanted to drop it around there, too. The best arc of the show starts at 17.

Well, okay, if you say so.

A blonde soldier named Rico gives one of the very worst monologues I've ever heard in the show, and a few of the characters have the gall to call Eren a "spoiled brat" without any grounds to do so. Why does this happen? I believe it's a formulaic way of getting allowing the protagonist to prove himself. If only one character had called him a spoiled brat, I'd chalk it up to that particular character's personality, but having more than one do it? Bad writing.

I don't know, I think that's kind of justified in the context of the world. Eren is selfish and keeps his eyes on a specific goal while everyone else is just doing what they can to survive. Some of these people are hardened veterans too, so it's not exactly that out there to be calling him spoiled.

LiK

I like the concept of the show, and it was dandy until...

What this guy said. I don't like this direction the show's taking.

It's not really my only problem. I think the larger issue is the writing. It doesn't impress me in any way. For all the hype this series gets, I thought it was for more than the cool premise and its darkness/maturity.

For a while I just accepted it because the writing was easy to overlook because some cool shit was happening, but that's when episode 11 comes along, and it's almost all dialogue, and the show begins to crumble for me.

Well, okay, if you say so.

it gets good. why do you think everyone is still hanging around here? ;)

- J - D -

I don't know, I think that's kind of justified in the context of the world. Eren is selfish and keeps his eyes on a specific goal while everyone else is just doing what they can to survive. Some of these people are hardened veterans too, so it's not exactly that out there to be calling him spoiled.

I just don't think throwing out an insult like that is justified without further reasoning. A couple lines would have done. I mean seriously, they spend 3 minutes having Rico deliver a rather redundant diatribe about how soldiers have feelings, hopes, and fears, and reemphasizing that if Eren fails, they all die, but giving a reason for calling Eren out for being spoiled is too much?. It's very shonen writing to me, and I'm normally not into that genre any more and haven't been for a while.

it gets good. why do you think everyone is still hanging around here? ;)

Right. I don't like crapping threads with dismissive posts, so the last I'll say for now is that I'll give it another go.

LiK

I just don't think throwing out an insult like that is justified without further reasoning. A couple lines would have done. I mean seriously, they spend 3 minutes having Rico deliver a rather redundant diatribe about how soldiers have feelings, hopes, and fears, and reemphasizing that if Eren fails, they all die, but giving a reason for calling Eren out for being spoiled is too much?. It's very shonen writing to me, and I'm normally not into that genre any more and haven't been for a while.

Right. I don't like crapping threads with dismissive posts, so the last I'll say for now is that I'll give it another go.

awesome, once you get past the recap ep, it's pretty much smooth sailing, imo.

Chake

Banned
What are the chances that the basement has multiple copies of Eren? In the first episode you see eren dreaming most of the stuff that happened later on, and his dad said "Their memories will show you the way". Might be because the others failed or something.

I'm sure it's false, though.

ucdawg12

if im thinking of the same monologue you are, it doesn't happen in the manga. the anime adds a lot of unnecessary scenes that consist of talking\rehashing not found in the manga to fill in time or deal with the production's lack of resources. these scenes are undramatic, usually, since they are written to stall and not because of some artistic flourish or something (at least imo)

i'm not criticizing the anime viewers, if they like it that's great and they should continue with no regrets :), and i dont want to bash the anime because i dont have to watch it so it doesnt really affect me in any way. but if you don't like the anime you might like the manga more. i love the manga, but cannot even watch the anime.

Nibel

I'm in tears
KuGsj.gif

jett

D-Member
There's a difference between good dialogue and AoT dialogue. Like right now I'm watching and loving Monster, a very dialogue-heavy series. The dialogue in Monster moves the plot forward very well, traversing the series' tension, suspense and developing all of its characters magnificently. AoT uses dialogue to repeat things we already know or for inner monologues about things we just saw happen. It serves no purpose a lot of the time.

Yep.

Nibel

Guys, this is still a shonen - some of your expectations are not justified since the target audience is pretty young

Nibel

Bad dialogue shouldn't be excused by demographic classifications.

I don't think the dialogue is bad, I think it is appropriate - I mean Eren, Mikasa, Armin etc. are teenagers in a world where humans get eaten alive every day which fits they way they talk, being whiny or overly dramatic

Do they repeat a lot of stuff? Yes, but I guess this is what you get from other shonen animes as well. I would love to read some impressions from younger viewers though, maybe I'm just wrong about this

wildfire

Banned
I agree with Wonkers that the writing is bad, once they start strechting out the episodes for no damn good reason.

The pacing with the Mikasa flashback is vastly superior to any action light scene since and the fault for that lies with their need to stretch out the episodes.

This problem isn't as bad as what happened to One Piece (fuck those idiots) but it still is the same mistake, but just not as harshly.

AoT uses dialogue to repeat things we already know or for inner monologues about things we just saw happen. It serves no purpose a lot of the time.

Yes that's my main gripe with the show

The repetitive dialogue or dialogue that describes what just happened

Still a good show but feel it does lessen it a bit
HUH!?! This part is awesome. It adds immensely to the creepy vibe.

I agree with Captain Levi

They look stupid

It doesn't creep me out, it makes me sad someone drew that into the show

Of course that's just my opinion

DarkKyo

HUH!?! This part is awesome. It adds immensely to the creepy vibe.

I agree! They're still primal beings with human faces. To think that they wouldn't show basic facial expressions is naive. The titans have loads of personality because of this and because of their different walking/running/chasing styles.

Geido

The Titans only work because of their human expressions imo. It makes them a pretty unique bad guy. If they went like a giant zombie route or something, that would be boring.

And they actually do have stupid expressions, nobody would argue that, but it's that expression that makes them creepy. They seem absolutely contect all the time. Even as they're running after a prey, or being shot at by a cannon.

I like them!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Titans only work because of their human expressions imo. It makes them a pretty unique bad guy. If they went like a giant zombie route or something, that would be boring.

And they actually do have stupid expressions, nobody would argue that, but it's that expression that makes them creepy. They seem absolutely contect all the time. Even as they're running after a prey, or being shot at by a cannon.

I like them!
Yeah. Their lack if communication or intelligence make it work. They're like the mentally handicapped, neglected, cannibal little brothers of the Macross Zentradi.

Hellix

Japan has different standards when it comes to demographics. Violence Jack, a series with kids getting decapitated, rape, and entrails everywhere was aimed at kids.

Attack on Titan is a shounen series and is therefore acceptable for little boys to read/watch.

Oh, I know. All I meant by using that gif was that the show still has mature themes even though it is aimed at kids in Japan. In the West, I doubt this material would be considered appropriate for kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom