• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepykyo

i3yggRRAC9LfN.gif

I can raise that.

shingeki-1-19-carla-jaeger.jpg

shingeki-1-25-carla-mother.jpg

shingeki-1-26-eren-gone.jpg

shingeki-1-27-crying.jpg

shingeki-1-28-eren-stop.jpg

shingeki-1-29-titan-eat.jpg

Indeed. We ALL know what the target demographic is...

sweatdrop.gif

The same director as high school of the dead for the adaption. The source material is printed in a Shonen magazine. Graphic violence is awesome as a kid.

Soriku

Even though Shonen mangas are aimed at a younger demographic there's really no limit to what they can show in terms of violence.

Here's a panel from HunterxHunter of people getting blown up:

Well, I just started watching this, and I'm up to episode 3.....not really far enough in to make any statements about the show, except that I don't really like the coloring and line art. Mikasa is an asshole so far.

kewlmyc

The writing and pacing are indeed bad in this series. Yet, somehow the interesting premise and characters that don't piss me off (which is rare for shounen) keeps me coming back to this series and being a fan. I feel this series would be better in movie format though.

While we're on the subject of demographics, is this appropriate for a 10 year old to watch? My sister told me she wanted to watch it, and I don't know if I should stop her or not.

Tizoc

While we're on the subject of demographics, is this appropriate for a 10 year old to watch? My sister told me she wanted to watch it, and I don't know if I should stop her or not.

If the creepy Titan designs don't freak her out and she can stomach the blood, then it would be OK, there are some kickass action scenes in this show.

Cimarron

Hahaha, that's amazing.

Definitely the clues. Armin deduced that the reason the titans stopped at Trost was because something in their plan changed, namely that they found out Eren could become a titan. At the time of the stop, the only ones who knew were the ones on that rooftop when Eren first came out of the titan body. And they were Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Bertolt, Reiner, and Annie. So one of them was a titan spy. And of course, one of them happened to be a female with blond hair, who wasn't accounted for during the survey corps mission (because she was with the military police), which happened to be Annie.

But Eren is still a character...explain that!

If you watch HOW the female titan fights there are dead give aways! ;)

Most parents outside Japan would probably say no, but if she can handle all the death and creepy Titan designs, I say go for it.

Necrovex

I'm thinking about finally watching Hunter X Hunter as I wait for the next episode of AoT...or finally read I am a Hero or Jojo. These decisions are rough.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm thinking about finally watching Hunter X Hunter as I wait for the next episode of AoT...or finally read I am a Hero or Jojo. These decisions are rough.

Hunter makes Titan look like Mickey Mouse. Not to mention you have almost 100 episodes.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wha?! That's simply insane to even think about.

I know we're in the Titan thread..but yo..plenty of stuff out there makes Titan look like Mickey. HxH has had so many years to be refined though..it's not fair for a baby like Titan. Titan's plot is seriously in the infant stage. If you've read the manga you definitely know that. Still plenty of time for shit to get wild.

Don't make the mistake of judging HxH by the first arc. Go into Yorkshin arc and then rejoice. Shit just got real.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but can someone share a handful of examples of what Hunter x Hunter gets into? Preferably spoiler tagged, of course

68 episodes is quite the commitment for a new series.

Nibel

So, what exactly is HxH about? I'm not getting smarter after reading some short bits about the plot and the style always irked me - the protagonist looks like an 8 year old to me with his weird spiky hair

I really can't imagine this being more brutal than Titan, so convince me

I don't want to get too far off topic, but can someone share a handful of examples of what Hunter x Hunter gets into? Preferably spoiler tagged, of course

68 episodes is quite the commitment for a new series.

It's actually at 96 episodes and still going, but will probably end relatively soon (like in the 130s) since they're running out of material to adapt and the manga artist is lazy.

It would be better to ask in the manga or official HxH thread.

So, what exactly is HxH about? I'm not getting smarter after reading some short bits about the plot and the style always irked me - the protagonist looks like an 8 year old to me with his weird spiky hair

I really can't imagine this being more brutal than Titan, so convince me

Starts out like a typical shounen, then gets dark and brutal. Probably should ask in those other threads for more info since we shouldn't go that off topic here.

Cizard

Starts out like a typical shounen, then gets dark and brutal. Probably should ask in those other threads for more info since we shouldn't go that off topic here.

I'm a bit confused here, i've read about 25 vols of the manga and seen all of the original anime but dark and brutal is not how i'd describe HxH at all.

So why would you say it's dark and brutal!? Keep in mind i'm not up to date with the rather boring (at least I think it is) chimera ant arc.

I'm a bit confused here, i've read about 25 vols of the manga and seen all of the original anime but dark and brutal is not how i'd describe HxH at all.

So why would you say it's dark and brutal!? Keep in mind i'm not up to date with the rather boring (at least I think it is) chimera ant arc.

I don't know how you can say anything including and past the Yorkshin arc isn't dark and brutal. And yes, the Chimera ant arc is the darkest by far and actually somewhat comparable to Attack on Titan, but again this isn't really the place for this discussion.

Cizard

I don't know how you can say anything including and past the Yorkshin arc isn't dark and brutal. And yes, the Chimera ant arc is the darkest by far and actually somewhat comparable to Attack on Titan, but again this isn't really the place for this discussion.

It gets more serious from there on sure but dark and brutal? Especially seeing as Greed Island is right after? Nah.

I should catch up to the manga though (and maybe watch the new anime). Everything before chimera ant is awesome but Chimera ant arc just didn't do much for me so far.

I'm an expert

In the context of the world, the happenings in HxH are pretty brutal. There are some evil dudes up in that story yo. In Titan's world, people die and get eaten every. damn. day. It's way more brutal seeing Eren cope with recent revelations, for example, than seeing random dude 93 get torn apart and smeared on a tree. HxH is similar in that it's not about the body count or sick fights, it's about those moments after Gon gets out in the real world where he (and the rest of the cast) meet some terrible circumstances. The tone may lean a tad more towards the light-hearted than Titan does, but it can still hit you in the gut when it needs to.

In my opinion, Titan hasn't had that many chances yet to really show what it's capable of.

It gets more serious from there on sure but dark and brutal? Especially seeing as Greed Island is right after? Nah.

I should catch up to the manga though (and maybe watch the new anime). Everything before chimera ant is awesome but Chimera ant arc just didn't do much for me so far.

Chimera arc's anime version is quite an obvious shift from the rest of the show. The show is kind of like (in terms of mood) arc 1 light, arc 2 heavy, arc 3 light, arc 4 heavy, and it continues similarly in the manga as well.

Soriku

The panel I posted above is from Greed Island, lol. I think HxH making AoT look like Mickey Mouse is an exaggeration though. But it's still dark at times. Probably darker than most Shonen yet the main characters (Gon and Killua) are like 13 year old kids...yeah.

Cizard

The panel I posted above is from Greed Island, lol. I think HxH making AoT look like Mickey Mouse is an exaggeration though. But it's still dark at times. Probably darker than most Shonen yet the main characters (Gon and Killua) are like 13 year old kids...yeah.

It's about the same as a lot of other shonen manga really (though that's a vague term anyway). As mentioned in this thread titan is technically shonen as well. And so is Jojo's bizarre adventure as well for example.

Chimera arc's anime version is quite an obvious shift from the rest of the show. The show is kind of like (in terms of mood) arc 1 light, arc 2 heavy, arc 3 light, arc 4 heavy, and it continues similarly in the manga as well.

Yeah, it is quite a change in the manga and that's probably why I think it's a really boring arc so far.

Anyway, back to titan. Ep 24 was pretty amazing.
Too bad we have to wait another week for the Titan fight though.

Episode 24 – Mercy - Raid on Stohess District (2)
tumblr_mthzu6AcHk1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Vocal song used at the start felt really out of place, especially for how short the scene was but others entertaining (And yay that one green filter was back making those scenes really stylish and intense, I hope they arent removed/touched in the BDs...yet again).

Jean Armin always carry things well
whenever Eren battles his own emotions to make hard decisions, but it was really understandable after going back a few days and seeing the things he had to deal. Was odd placement at first but then made sense. Thought it was odd how everyone could instantly agree but then Eren thinking about it and the fighting style made me see it as well

Anyway was hyped and so excited for Jean, best character easily and best lines.
So glad his words moved Eren, as well as Armins

Hope next episode at least addresses a big question
is there someone behind Annie's motives?

Go_Ly_Dow

Great episode.

1 more to go. Looking forward to how it concludes and hoping they tease a season 2 that just confirms it will be a faithful continuation of the manga at the end.

FluxWaveZ

Episode 24

Eren really sucks. That'll be even more true if what the preview implies turns out to be the case and
he totally loses control and goes berserk.

The cops suck too. What the hell's the logic behind
pointing a gun at the dude who's risking his life to save all of theirs?
Episode really showed the juxtaposition between the Recon Corps. and the Military Police and how the latter are useless.

Holy shit this was a great episode. Wasnt expecting it to be so action packed and damn some of that animation was incredible. I legit got chills when
Eren transformed and started running towards Annie.
The music..so so so good.

I think I prefer the anime to the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom