• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

Episode 24:
That was fucking stupid, they are still trying their hardest to make me hate anime Eren with a passion.

CronoShot

The added filler was cool for everyone else, but not for Eren.

His surprise shoryuken from the manga was way cooler than the anime's regular punch.

Lehow

Amazing ep, god damn I was in full hype mode when I watched this. So good.

Do you guys know what was the name of that rock song(s)? I wanna listen that over and over again.

Call your name

There is also:

The Reluctant Heroes
attack ON Titan
DOA

And a couple of other ones in german:
Vogel im Käfig
Bauklötze

AoT has one of the most amazing anime soundtracks I've ever seen in anime. That makes me even more hyped for Monolith X OST.

Dahbomb

God damn that shit got me hyped...

Sad that this is ending in a short time and we probably won't get new episodes for a while.

Defuser

So this has been renewed for more seasons correct?
Japan's way of renewing season isn't the same as the west way of renewing seasons.

It all depends on the Blu Ray sales and the amount of source material left, not by ratings.

I don't think they have enough material for a second season.

Yeah the added stuff sure made Eren out to be much more indecisive than he was in the manga.
Crazy Eyes Mikasa is always great.
vYVsgg1.png

Hamlet

Such a great episode the action in the second half was really intense they sure know how to get your blood pumping
so badass
inmdQwp2Fbxsx.gif

jediyoshi

Scrambling my eyes from reading the thread mode.

Jesus, everyone just be a bigger dick to Eren why don't they. Poor guy can't catch a break. He just wants to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Dude's acting more human than the rest of them at this point.
Seems weird they didn't follow up on the survey/police confrontation, kind of left it hanging there.

Still no idea how the current Annie stuff will pan out. Her exposing herself looks like the point of no return. Though at this point I'm guessing both titans could just skip town and there'd still be hell to pay for the survey corps.

Yeah the added stuff sure made Eren out to be much more indecisive than he was in the manga.
Crazy Eyes Mikasa is always great.
vYVsgg1.png
#dead

JulianImp

Okay, now that the guy who made the original manga spoiler thing edited it, could we please have the one other user who quoted him/her edit it as well? It doesn't help at all if a quote of the original post still contains the spoiler!

Every week, I come to this thread expecting fun and healthy speculation, and get spoiled to hell and back instead, when the topic specifies NO MANGA SPOILERS. I mean, give me a fucking break! I don't get exactly what the spoiler meant, but my brain is already hard at work thinking about it even if I don't conciously want to.

...Eh, back to less spiteful things, I loved this episode. Eren indeed looks like a superficial Shinji surrogate, having transformation impotence simply for the plot's convenience, though.
First he's all sympathetic about the female titan, then he bounces back to thinking about how everybody else is fighting her until he appears to lose all reason and goes full KOROSU mode. The supporting cast, however, really got to shine, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Hanji was especially nice, because her borderline pathological fixation on titans really sets her apart from everybody else, who fears them. Also, that NEP was quite ominous

At times, I think about how different the show could've been if Eren had gotten killed for real back in episode five. I don't find a reason why I'd care about Eren, as everybody around him seems a lot more interesting and appears to get more character development; he's just a naïve, childish and brash kid who happens to be instrumental in the fight against the titans, and has gone as far as to become somewhat of an icon of hope, being the only human/titan we know of that is on humanity's side. I guess it does make sense if you see him as some sort of incorruptible pure being that's surrounded by people who have chosen to slowly let go off of their humanity for ulterior motives, though.

mugwhump

This episode was a lot better than I thought it'd be, but I still had some issues. I'll start with my complaints:

-Characters suffered from WIT's over-dramatization. The manga is certainly capable of some subtlety, but WIT seems to want to push characters to their emotional extremes at all times.
Hanji, for example, was pretty calm in the manga; now she's kind of raving (though that's not inconsistent with her characterization I guess). Likewise Nile (the MP guy who pointed the gun at Erwin) was much calmer in the manga.
-
Eren's ragefit, while admittedly really cool, is completely different. Going from internally conflicted to I'M GONNA KILL THE FUCK OUTTA HER was a bit jarring. But I think Isayama did say something about wanting to make Eren more unbalanced, so perhaps it was his idea.
-They left out the scene of
Annie offering to train Eren
back in their bootcamp days. I'd been hoping they would include it since it was cut from episode four. Without that scene for context,
Eren's hesitation looks pretty silly, since it seems like the only time he actually interacted with Annie was when she beat him up that one time.

But there was a lot I liked, as well:
+I thought the ep would be stretched out with them spending the entire time in the tunnel, but the added filler was actually great.
More Jean is always good in my book (and the anime-only line "Never call me that again, asshole!" justifies this adaptation on its own).
+Really awesome action. It seems like WIT has completely overcome their production issues, because there was tons of awesome animation this episode.
+Good performances by all the VAs, especially Yuki Kaji. I was a bit skeptical at first, but he dun gud.
+The music, again, really hit home in several scenes.
+
Eren's ragefit
. I know I complained about it, but fuck, it was good.

Also, it looks like
Marlow and the MP trainees
are gonna get some extra scenes next ep. Awesome.

Kettch

I can understand some spoiler confusion, since there isn't a second tagged spoilers thread to discuss the anime, like for GoT. But I really have no sympathy for anyone posting completely unmarked spoilers, not even mentioning having no remorse after spoiling people. Anyone with half a brain/ounce of decency would at least say that they're manga spoilers first, even if they're ignorant of the complete ban here.

I've read the AoT manga, but it pisses me off when it happens elsewhere in threads without strict rules, to the point where I no longer highlight anything about an adapted series (that's also why I generally don't like putting tags on spoilers from aired episodes, forcing you to highlight spoilers to discuss things, since doing that inevitably opens you up to being spoiled by an idiot).

It's a joke term (or scarily, sometimes not a joke term) for some fans' adoration of female characters. (You can google it without fear- it's not an attack on titan spoiler.)

I'm sure you're correct but I still don't quite understand

I did actually google it prior and understood there was some joke to it but still not really getting it

I mean Mikasa referred to herself as Eren's waifu?

So is it just strong friend whose a girl?

Branduil

I did actually google it prior and understood there was some joke to it but still not really getting it

That dialogue is not real.

Lmao. Its a photoshop.

Highwind

which song is that in this video when levi was going to town on titan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMb3j-vM8Is

I really want to find out what this song is as well. It was in this most recent episode as well, and whenever it's played, badassery occurs.

Definitely my favorite song from the OST thus, far, but I haven't been able to find it.

Will be the first track in the second OST coming out next month (October 16th).

Edit - Preview of the second OST can be found here.

kewlmyc

Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 24: Yea, not hard to see where the animation budget for this series went, not hard at all.
At long last, we truly and with certainty learned that the Female Titan is Annie. Mikasa was not wrong, it was her face and that nose that really gave her away. Also, this episode should also be called Eren is in spite of all of the hullabaloo about his Titan Factor is god damned useless in a fight and should have been left to die. Seriously, there are like a dozen or so characters that would have made for a better lead then this dipshit. Anyway, after some performance anxiety hits Eren which allows the likes of Armin, Jean, Mikasa, Hadji, Levi and Erwin shine so much brighter then him, he finally transforms and brgins his MMA rematch with Annie that is leaving quite a mess. Indeed, I am looking forward to the finale of season one, because you can't tell me that this isn't getting another season. If fucking Phi Brain can get three seasons, this can get another season.

Of course it will, but probably not for another 2 years or so. Anime isn't THAT far from the manga.

sorry about the spoilers
anyways i think they should just make another anime basicly a prequel to Attack on Titan
wouldnt mind Before The Fall as an anime

Well, to be honest I think this was the best episode so far. The animation was better than the rest of the series. I don't know if it's because I have a lot of Lagavulin 12 in my body but this was one bloody good episode.

Edit: Oh yeah and I had a lot of feelings for Annie... I still don't know what her motives/plans are.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 24

That was pretty great. On the one hand, I can see how the added material makes
Eren
look worse, but on the other hand, it gave us some sweet action sequences and
more Jean
, so it's easily a net positive.

Branduil

I imagine it would have been a lot more difficult to draw those scenes if the backgrounds were 2D instead of 3D.

It would have been prohibitively expensive and time-consuming. Which is unfortunate, because I'm a sucker for hand-drawn background animation, but realistically, a series like Attack on Titan could not be done pre-CGI, or at least, it would have to be done much differently, with far less dynamic camerawork. When background animation had to be hand-drawn, it was reserved for special occasions and was rare even in higher-budget films. You would never have an episode of anime like this past one, it would have cost millions and been delayed for months.

kirblar

For the back half, it had to have been much easier on the background animators to be able to have the forest background for most of the run rather than the more dynamic city ones.

It would have been prohibitively expensive and time-consuming. Which is unfortunate, because I'm a sucker for hand-drawn background animation, but realistically, a series like Attack on Titan could not be done pre-CGI, or at least, it would have to be done much differently, with far less dynamic camerawork. When background animation had to be hand-drawn, it was reserved for special occasions and was rare even in higher-budget films. You would never have an episode of anime like this past one, it would have cost millions and been delayed for months.

While I'm generally less then receptive to the use of CG in anime I completely understand why it would be attractive as a time and cost saving measure.

Even if the CG is strange looking at times by now I don't even notice it that much during fast paced scenes like much of 24's second half.

kurahador

Urghhh...what the hell was that? The scene that get Eren to transform was totally different from the manga (which is better) and even hinted in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom