• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Episode 24 was epic but what really was awesome was Hanji's stare:

hanjiq5oov.jpg

Those eyes!...

Hot

Eren is literally Bruce Banner/Hulk.
Eh

I he were then he'd be interesting. Maybe the manga has big surprises in store for us? Doesn't look like he'd do anything that would make his friends doubt him the way Bruce does.

Now for a preemptive "leave me alone" to the anti-manga people. I haven't even read the manga because I heard it looks like donkey butt.

JulianImp

Episode 24 was epic but what really was awesome was Hanji's stare:

hanjiq5oov.jpg

Those eyes!...

Yeah, that scene was nothing short of awesome. Hanji's one of the most unsettling characters I've seen in SnK that mixes up curiosity with some kind of sadism in a way that never crosses the line into really creepy territory, at least for me.

Soule

Appropriate to you perhaps but friendship is over as soon as you kill scores of my comrades including new friends I've made. He seemed to have completely forgotten what set him off and made him turn into a titan and fight her the first time. She's shown no consideration for human life and even then when he's being a little bitch she's striking blows to the tunnel that could potentially kill his two besties in the world. Sorry but he's being a bitch of Shinji proportions.

My man! You know what's up.

It really gets me as well that every other person that was in the same group as Annie was able to man up and do their job as a soldier... Mikasa, Jean even fucking Armin who at the beginning of the anime was a massive pussy has grown from and been battle hardened by his training/missions and is putting his life on the line despite everything and yet fucking Eren needs a pep talk (and then another pep talk again later) all the while Annie is trying to murder people who are practically family and all his closest friends and comrades within the vacinity.

Just hated the way they dragged out and portrayed the scene, it's completely reasonable that he hesitates considering the gravity of the situation and her someone he considered a friend. What I can't stand is that he didn't immediately get over it and rise to the occasion immediately, if not straight after the first talk from Mikasa. Absolutely agree he's being a bitch but he's not quite Shinji level, at least he attempted to try to go Titan even if he didn't really have his heart in it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
My man! You know what's up.

It really gets me as well that every other person that was in the same group as Annie was able to man up and do their job as a soldier... Mikasa, Jean even fucking Armin who at the beginning of the anime was a massive pussy has grown from and been battle hardened by his training/missions and is putting his life on the line despite everything and yet fucking Eren needs a pep talk (and then another pep talk again later) all the while Annie is trying to murder people who are practically family and all his closest friends and comrades within the vacinity.

Just hated the way they dragged out and portrayed the scene, it's completely reasonable that he hesitates considering the gravity of the situation and her someone he considered a friend. What I can't stand is that he didn't immediately get over it and rise to the occasion immediately, if not straight after the first talk from Mikasa. Absolutely agree he's being a bitch but he's not quite Shinji level, at least he attempted to try to go Titan even if he didn't really have his heart in it.
Wait. No. Eren was manning up. Dude was gnawing his hand off. He wanted to do his job. If it were simply a 3d gear fight, he would've jumped in like everyone else. But his Titan form stuff clearly doesn't work like that. Even Armin said he didn't want to believe it was her, Levi said there wasn't enough proof as well - its one thing to go forward because you have to and another to be 100% all in like Eren needs to be.

Shinji comparisons will never work because Shinji would let a city get nuked before getting out of bed. Eren will bite his whole arm off looking for the keys that he left in his backpocket.

Dude 'got over it' while Armin and Mikasa were still standing around making yuck faces.

Dali

Wait. No. Eren was manning up. Dude was gnawing his hand off. He wanted to do his job. If it were simply a 3d gear fight, he would've jumped in like everyone else. But his Titan form stuff clearly doesn't work like that. Even Armin said he didn't want to believe it was her, Levi said there wasn't enough proof as well - its one thing to go forward because you have to and another to be 100% all in like Eren needs to be.

Shinji comparisons will never work because Shinji would let a city get nuked before getting out of bed. Eren will bite his whole arm off looking for the keys that he left in his backpocket.

Dude 'got over it' while Armin and Mikasa were still standing around making yuck faces.

Erin is self deluding. He knew it was Annie before she transformed before his very eyes and even then he still wasn't "all in" considering what she'd done? Maybe he's not as big a bitch as Shinji but it's neigh impossible to empathize with him. Once he can no longer delude himself into denying it's Annie and she is actively killing more of my fellow soldiers right in front of me and trying to kill my best friends and perhaps me too while also taking into account the truck loads of bodies we just carted back including my newly made friends in team Levi it's kinda hard to feel anything but disdain.

Dresden

Not his fault he needs to get into hulk rage before he can transform. He was biting his hand off trying to shift - it's natural to have some doubt no matter what happened.

He was also knocked out for like half the episode.

Dali

Not his fault he needs to get into hulk rage before he can transform. He was biting his hand off trying to shift - it's natural to have some doubt no matter what happened.

Is it really natural? I like to think if I were a soldier and another soldier came on base and started killing people I'd not have any issues shooting that person even if I was acquainted with them. At that point it's "ok this guy is crazy. Me or my friends could be next."

Soriku

I read chapter 32. Armin looks pretty different in the manga...

But yeah
Eren transforms pretty quickly. Mikasa says her "it's a cruel world" line in the tunnel then Eren goes "IT REALLY IS" and then uppercuts Annie, lol.

LiK

Yup, he was unconscious but it was still his fault. lol

Kinyou

Is it really natural? I like to think if I were a soldier and another soldier came on base and started killing people I'd not have any issues shooting that person even if I was acquainted with them. At that point it's "ok this guy is crazy. Me or my friends could be next."
But you still might have some form of regret or doubt in the back of your head while you do what you have to do. That's what subconsciously held Eren back from transforming. If it had been as much as firing a gun he most likely would have done it.

JulianImp

That doesn't work as a rule of thumb, since if that were the case it'd make no sense how he could transform nearly at will during Trost arc when he wanted to move the rock, which was a faily mundane action with relatively no tension. Luckily, Eren hadn't befriended the rock prior to those events like he did with Annie, so there was no internal conflict that would make him subconciously doubting whether he should go titan or not.

I think the elite recon corps said something during a flashback along the lines of how Eren can only transform if he has a perfectly clear objective in front of him, and has fully made his mind up about it (kill titans, block cannonball, move rock, pick spoon up, kill titans and kill titans, in order).

Soriku

That doesn't work as a rule of thumb, since if that were the case it'd make no sense how he could transform nearly at will during Trost arc when he wanted to move the rock, which was a faily mundane action with relatively no tension. Luckily, Eren hadn't befriended the rock prior to those events like he did with Annie, so there was no internal conflict that would make him subconciously doubting whether he should go titan or not.

I think the elite recon corps said something during a flashback along the lines of how Eren can only transform if he has a perfectly clear objective in front of him, and has fully made his mind up about it (kill titans, block cannonball, move rock, pick spoon up, kill titans and kill titans, in order).

Uhh that's not true at all. Everyone was relying on him and he blew it, and then they all had to fend off the titans until Eren woke up and completed the mission or they could get him out.

JulianImp

Uhh that's not true at all. Everyone was relying on him and he blew it, and then they all had to fend off the titans until Eren woke up and completed the mission or they could get him out.

I meant to say that he didn't have some huge internal conflicts about moving the rock, but he had them about fighting Annie, as a way to prove the point that he could transform under the former circumstance because he wanted to fulfill a single, very specific task he fully agreed to do, and that going rage-mode isn't one of the necesary triggers for his titan transformation.

mugwhump

He did figure out that the colossal and armored titans were shifters, and that they had possibly infiltrated the recon corps.

However, I don't believe the colossal titan can walk, and since the armored titan likely doesn't have the stamina to do all the running that Annie did, he probably hypothesized that there would be more shifters, and that they would send someone else to take Eren.

That's the thing, I'm not sure how he could have realistically come to that hypothesis.

Just a lucky guess, I suppose. He did make that speech about the need to take big risks...

Branduil

This isn't a Shinji situation where (End of Eva spoilers)
Shinji sits there moping in front of his Eva while everyone he cares about dies.
The titan power can be screwed up by subconscious factors, which you don't really have full control over.

If you want to blame someone, blame Eren's dad for injecting his traumatized and already mentally-disturbed son with titan serum. I mean, his dad thought it was a good idea to inject his own son, who just watched his mother get eaten, and who had killed two grown men without inhibition, with a serum that turns him into a raging giant monster. And then he abandoned him, leaving his children no real choice but to become teenage soldiers. What a jerk.

LogicStep

You guys have to remember, like Erwin said, Eren is a noob at the whole shifting thing so he's going to have problems shifting. Not like Annie, that girl transforms at will like it's nothing. After the first time, every time he's able to transform was because of a trigger, be it Armin's speech to him for the boulder (he transformed but wasn't in control), seeing his team get killed in front of him because of his own decisions, and finally now after hearing all of the things Armin and Jean said to him. It seems he needs a clear goal but more importantly his transformations seem to be dependent of his emotional state. In every successful transformation and control of it he has been pretty pissed off and motivated by his emotions. So having to face Annie, which to him is a friend and not just that, he can't believe his friend is a shifter and killing people like it's nothing. All of that must come with a shock to Eren, even if he's seeing it with his own eyes that she's doing horrible things. Looks to me like he's just like Gohan. Get pissed, get strong.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I actually thought the reason Eren couldn't transform was because he was underground. i thought that's why they wanted annie underground and why she didn't want to go. Didn't the girl with glasses say they use sunlight for energy?

B.O.O.M

Epic episode. This anime has some crazy ass bitches

LOVE HANJI

Mikasa vs Annie is always entertaining too

ps; I bet Eren has a special ability too. He just hasn't discovered it yet.

kirblar

That's the thing, I'm not sure how he could have realistically come to that hypothesis.

Just a lucky guess, I suppose. He did make that speech about the need to take big risks...
He was trying to bait out an appearance by a shifting titan. He didn't know if he was correct, but he knew Eren might be a target (either to be killed or kidnapped.) So he set up a BS mission that involved them running around near a forest. If a titan appears? Catch it and give it to Hanji! If it doesn't? Means they're probably going to be able to cross that worry off the list when they launch the basement expedition.

daniels

I actually thought the reason Eren couldn't transform was because he was underground. i thought that's why they wanted annie underground and why she didn't want to go. Didn't the girl with glasses say they use sunlight for energy?

Just stop thinking and enjoy the spectacle ;P

B.O.O.M

Eren wasn't trying to transform completely. Just stop Annie from crushing them with her foot (like he stopped the cannon ball)

Dresden

Conjecture, but who knows. Maybe they store hamon in their lipids or something.

The original plan was to lure her deep underground, not just the shallow tunnel they were in. It would be deep enough that even if she transformed, she wouldn't be able to just shatter through.

LogicStep

No, they wanted her to go underground so if she did transform she wouldn't be able to use her titan body.

tensuke

Alright, I do agree that the Shinji comparisons were a little out of hand. Eren isn't that bad, and I haven't looked at the manga but you guys seem to say it's mostly the anime that exaggerates it, which I could see.

The pacing is really what projects that idea I think, he's not so bad but when they want to stretch a scene or event over a certain number of episodes, they have to slow it down which means adding to his indecisiveness and lack of pure determination (in the case of the latest episode
where he had problems transforming due to mixed emotions about fighting Annie
), otherwise he would just transform and get things done in one or two episodes which wouldn't be as dramatic and would make the anime get too far ahead with the material. I think if they had waited to release this season this fall or next spring, they could have moved at a bit of a faster pace.

Anyway, I'm super amped for the last episode, it's all I've been able to think about the last few days. I have to know more, and I'm trying so hard not to rush to the manga to get caught up. Maybe after the season is over, but I'm really loving the animation and music and kind of want to keep a clean slate until the next season starts in the hopefully-not-too-distant future.

I think Erin has a legitimate moment of badassness in this ep, even if it was appetized by about 15 minutes of being useless.
Also, all the epic creepy eyed stares by the women of this show in this ep, lol. I love it!

It's not like the anime team can really do much with what the mangaka has already written. It doesn't help that the anime's pacing can be kind of whack compared to the manga. You'll have things like the first episode which covers 1.5 chapters of the manga in a well paced episode, then you'll have episodes like this weeks where half of the episode is made up filler written by the anime team. I know "it's the anime and things can be different" but from what I've seen many peoples complaints about the story come from anime only scenes.

For those who wish to know what part of this weeks episode was filler
All the action scenes everyone's raving about after Mikasa and Armin split up is filler. In the manga they split and then Eren mans up and transforms. The scene of Erwin talking to the MP police kind of happens in the manga, only it's one page of the MP police guy saying "what are you guys up to there can't be a titan in the walls"

And most of the complaints are from manga fans.

RedSwirl

Speculation: Is it just me, or does the lightning actually come from the sky down to the ground when they transform into Titans? Maybe I need to look at previous episodes to see if it strikes up from the ground, but in ep 24 it seemed like Eren's transformation caused lightning to come down from the sky...

That has nothing to do with Manga knowledge by the way. I really have no fucking idea.

If the cliffhanger I'm expecting is in the last ep, non-manga readers will shit their pants lol

No doubt. Let's just leave it at that. No harm in saying the next episode is going to be awesome.

RedSwirl

Dude, they had like two or three backup plans if anything goes wrong - I mean this is evidence enough that nobody of them really knows how powerful she is

If you've watched all the earlier episodes, then you'd noticed that almost every plan fails because the humans always underestimate the titans - they still don't know enough about them

This is what I've been realizing too. Basically the entire human ware effort up to this point has been a losing battle because they've completely misjudged the nature of their enemy. Up until now they thought they were fighting mindless animals, but it's becoming apparently they're actually fighting an enemy commanded by, essentially, humans with superpowers. And even then, the top brass is still completely unaware of this (from what we know so far). The men on the ground are only just now realizing they've been one step behind the whole fucking time.

No doubt. That's all I'm going to say.

I can't believe there's going to be any kind of sattisfying conclusion they could come up with, extra five minutes long or not.
I'm actually convinced they are going to shoot straight into a second season now, whether or not there's enough material to draw from. The popularity is too high.
I'm calling it right now, they are going full metal alchemist with this show!

tensuke

God, I rewatched the episode and I loved the slow motion replay of Annie's level 3 super in the forest.

At this point titans are basically a level 3 Kratos super. :p

Speculation: Is it just me, or does the lightning actually come from the sky down to the ground when they transform into Titans? Maybe I need to look at previous episodes to see if it strikes up from the ground, but in ep 24 it seemed like Eren's transformation caused lightning to come down from the sky...
I noticed that too, but I haven't come up with much. Maybe it all has to do with steam or some weather phenomenon, I mean, titans do steam up, something something lightning has to do with clouds, and the colossal titan had control over the steam coming out of his back/neck/head, and disappeared in a giant puff of smoke/steam. Maybe there's no reason though, and that's just a design decision. Either way, it looks pretty rad.

I'm actually convinced they are going to shoot straight into a second season now, whether or not there's enough material to draw from. The popularity is too high.
Oh man, good luck with that one, dude. :p

I can't believe there's going to be any kind of sattisfying conclusion they could come up with, extra five minutes long or not.

I actually don't think I'd mind that. My two major problems with this series are its pacing and heavy reliance on recapping to fill up time. I think the pacing problem comes from staying true to a manga with poor pacing. I really haven't heard anything positive about the manga beyond what the anime currently covers, either. Would be interesting to see them start writing OC and run with it as season two.

That's not how the anime industry works. They're not just going to have an extra season, completely unannounced, show up at the end of the current one.

That's not how the anime industry works. They're not just going to have an extra season, completely unannounced, show up at the end of the current one.

I didn't say we can expect to see it in two weeks.
But, I'm fairly convinced we'll hear something along the lines of 'a season 2' is in developement, shortly after this last ep airs.

Dali

I didn't say we can expect to see it in two weeks.
But, I'm fairly convinced we'll hear something along the lines of 'a season 2' is in developement, shortly after this last ep airs.
Japan works at its own pace dude. Strike while the iron is hot isn't exactly their modus operandi. Not saying it's not possible but worldwide popularity never seems to factor into these decisions.

Japan works at its own pace dude. Strike while the iron is hot isn't exactly their modus operandi. Not saying it's not possible but worldwide popularity never seems to factor into these decisions.

I guess they fooled me with all those filler arcs of DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach.

I guess they fooled me with all those filler arcs of DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach.

Long running shounen is different, especially ones serialized in Shounen Jump. Many of those are expected to run for a while right from the beginning, and being weekly makes it easy for an anime to run alongside it indefinitely with a bit of filler slowing down the pace.

AoT is based on a monthly series and was designated as a 2 cours anime at the beginning.

Branduil

You know, the last episode of Attack on Titan was pretty great, but you can see how being rushed for time and trying to make up for it by just throwing more and more animators at each episode can do a number on the consistency of scenes:

These aren't from different parts of the episode, it's two consecutive shots. It's impressive how not a single aspect of the background plates are the same.

mugwhump

You know, the last episode of Attack on Titan was pretty great, but you can see how being rushed for time and trying to make up for it by just throwing more and more animators at each episode can do a number on the consistency of scenes:

These aren't from different parts of the episode, it's two consecutive shots. It's impressive how not a single aspect of the background plates are the same.

Wow, I never even noticed.Which I guess makes it better than stills replacing animation and BIG PURPLE ROCKS, both of which I noticed right away.

I'm kind of wondering how they're gonna manage an extra 10 minutes for the last episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom