• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for comparisons to the FMA: Brotherhood series that seems a little unfair. Studio BONES, the creators of FMA: Bro are probably the premier action animation studio in Japan so it's no surprise that their show would look far superior to Wit Studios Attack on Titan. I mean, Attack on Titan is a show which frequently relies on still images and flashbacks to save money/time/staff.

Lol, here's a guy who's selectively removed those awful caricature sequences from his memory.
Personally, I was convinced Brotherhood looked worse than the original anime, I was so dismayed at the action sequences. So, I looked up some old show eps, and they didn't look much better. So... I guess my eyes broken? I don't know.
Here's a caveat, Brotherhood is like 6 years old? And AoT is new, so maybe modern Bones is better now, though I don't know what they are working on.
BTW- There's a Attack on Titan ova coming.

dan2026

Cowboy Bebop is overrated. Its great, but it gets put on a pedestal waaaay too much.
Just like Evangelion and....Attack on Titan.

Lol, here's a guy who's selectively removed those awful caricature sequences from his memory.

Oh the ones that are faithfully taken from the manga. How can you blame an adaption for that?

Go_Ly_Dow

Every single anime I've ever watched has had people complaining about its animation quality when I'm not one to pay attention to those things if they're not especially egregious.

You probably haven't seen it, but check out Hyouka. Widely agreed via animegaf that its art and animation is flawless.

Movie quality production values in a TV series.

Cwarrior

Cowboy bebop is great but brotherhood is better then it and Eva is trash all around it's barely even animated(Eva tv seriies).

What was this thread about again.

Cowboy bebop is great but brotherhood is better then it and Eva is trash all around it's barely even animated.

What was this thread about again.

Eva and that animation though. Those fight sequences were so friggin visceral and sick... I can't believe they managed that in the 90's.
But that story was off, I agree.
But Bebop is the best.

The best thing to come out of Brotherhood:

ibjMjIn3M7w4yS.gif

Mariolee

Friend recommended the series Sunday night. I watched the first episode. I couldn't stop.

I told myself with college coming up I'd probably only have time for like an episode a day.

I just got caught up to everything anime-wise.

Guys.

I need that last episode.

Erigu

haha, I almost punched you in the face.
It's really, really good, but I see a lot of "you can give up on Japanese animation right there: it doesn't get any better" thrown around whenever it's mentioned on NeoGAF, for example, and that's just silly. So I'd agree with "overrated" in that sense.

I tried to find a gif of THAT fight scene from End of Evangelion, but have some rebuild gifs instead.

I don't think anyone would cite these as the best animated segments, either.

I seriously thought he meant Brotherhood when he said that.
Eva is it's animation, it's the only reason we know about it, lol.

The Rebuild is pretty amazing. I wasn't a big fan of the original series, either.]
One FINAL batch of Eva rebuild gifs.

1c2.gif

tumblr_m3el49GPRv1qkpz7co1_500.gif

I would be ecstatic if Titan got a big budget theatrical treatment like this, but the Berserk movies are probably a better visual analogy.

Has there ever been a series that had a normal tv season, and then continued adaptating it's manga in semi-annual movie form?

I wish the Berserk movies didn't have such obvious CG. Really doesn't look good, IMO.
They got better as they went on! The first movie was atrocious but it hit a stride by the third.

As a means to have the character wear detailed armor though, THAT cg was fantastic.

I just wish they were consistent with it's use for main characters when they're int he background of some shots. You go from a close up of a gorgeously animated Caska to wonky lumpy Casuka in a medium shot. NOT EVEN A LONG SHOT, but a medium shot. That budget must have been razor thin if they couldn't even fix that character in those shots.

They got better as they went on! The first movie was atrocious but it hit a stride by the third.

As a means to have the character wear detailed armor though, THAT cg was fantastic.

I just wish they were consistent with it's use for main characters when they're int he background of some shots. You go from a close up of a gorgeously animated Caska to wonky lumpy Casuka in a medium shot. NOT EVEN A LONG SHOT, but a medium shot. That budget must have been razor thin if they couldn't even fix that character in those shots.

I haven't seen the 3rd one yet. Waiting for the dub. Once I've gotten used to a character in one voice, it's very hard for me to get used to another. Interested to see how they do the Eclipse in the movies.

Cwarrior

I was talking about the tv series,anyways I don't know what planet you have to live on inorder for the cg in those gifs to be counted as good.

And attack on Titan is a tv series not a movie it's silly comparing it to movies.

I was talking about the tv series,anyways
tumblr_mom1soW8zi1sverd5o2_500.gif

tumblr_m5l274ynph1rya4wwo1_500.gif

...but this is just being pedantic at this point.

People watching eva solely for the animation on the robo-punches are probably getting enjoying 10% of what the series is about

Also other than the obvious bits, you'd be surprised at how much traditional animation is in those movies:

tumblr_m3zl9jMR6c1rri0k4o1_500.gif

They did a really bizarre process for some shots where they animated it out by hand, and then essentially 'rotoscoped' it with the 3D model. Possibly the most wasteful process imaginable, but it looks good yet accounts for why those movies take forever to make.

THAT was the last set of gifs. Sorry that this is turned out to be the EVA/FMA gif page.

Eva has bad animation what in the fuck

Alright, let's finish this up.... Astro boy sucks, Akira is derivative, Miyazaki movies are ass, and Kenshiro is a sissy.
Have we shat on every single anime worth talking about yet?
G damn, at least we've put a dent in the stereo type that anime fans think everything is amazing, lol.

Cwarrior

What are your two gifs above meant to represent? I hope it's not your idea of good animation, The first one lacks a lot in-between frames you can count the number of frames easy and the explosion effect is awful it can give person an epileptic fit.

-second one is short cut of an up close mech not much animation going on

eva the tv series has about 2mins of good animation for the entire 26ep tv series,quite a few talented animators on it but they just weren't able to do anything with lack of resources,frames and budget.The first premier episode of eva only has 700 framer for it's episode that's abut 0.5 frame a second which is like a slide show and the average anime has about 3,000 frames per episode, eva is a lot lower budget then even your average anime.

This what competent animation looks like in a tv series not that rubbish you posted.

What are your two gifs above meant to represent? I hope it's not your idea of good animation, The first one lacks a lot in-between frames you can count the number of frames easy and the explosion effect is awful it can give person an epileptic fit.

-second one is short cut of an up close mech not much animation going on

eva the tv series has about 2mins of good animation for the entire 26ep tv series,quite a few talented animators on it but they just weren't able to do anything with lack of resources,frames and budget.The first premier episode of eva only has 700 framer for it's episode that's abut 0.5 frame a second which is like a slide show and the average anime has about 3,000 frames per episode, eva is a lot lower budget then even your average anime.

This what competent animation looks like in a tv series not that rubbish you posted.
Wow, I have to hand it to you, that looks spectacular! That may be the best thing I've ever seen. It's beyond anime, beyond cgi. It's art! Why, it's almost up to Naruto levels!
lol

Is that the stereotype? Guess I've been hanging around animegaf too long, where everyone hates everything.

I think it more has to do with people listing 30-40 different shows when anyone asks for a recommendation.

FluxWaveZ

Kay

What do you guys think is inside the basement?

No idea what could be in the basement other than a bunch of research books and stuff (which probably isn't the case since that wouldn't be too exciting).

Wonder where Eren's dad even is and if he has the power of becoming a titan. Maybe he's even with the enemy group.

cjkeats

I think it's along the lines if what flux said. Probably explanations as to how Eren can turn into a Titan and maybe some light on the other unique titans.
I bet we'll see Erens dad again sometime too. He wasn't confirmed dead right, just "hasn't been seen in years"?

Branduil

Mikasa's abs have only ever shown up joke pages of the manga, so...

Also that picture makes no sense. They wouldn't be doing stretches on such a rough, stony surface.

Chake

Banned
No idea what could be in the basement other than a bunch of research books and stuff (which probably isn't the case since that wouldn't be too exciting).

Wonder where Eren's dad even is and if he has the power of becoming a titan. Maybe he's even with the enemy group.

Wasn't his dad rushing back in episode 2 or something?

kirblar

Wait what? Was this answered in the manga?
It's just a joke about the writer's writing style and juniors getting banned.

(It's a good style, too - you have every question answered with an answer that leads to a bigger question.) FMA was set up in a similar fashion. The key is to not pull a LOST and not actually have the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom