• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

So many dangling threads that this show never came back to... Remember the Colossal and Armored titans? And remember Eren's dad's basement?

Unless somehow Annie calls in both Colossal and Armored titans in to help her next episode which I doubt.

The manga is still ongoing dude.
And a lot of the questions are still up in the air.

Peco

http://i.minus.com/ibkOsV9SJERrOc.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Eren reminded me of Akira Fudo/Devilman in that scene. He's an ok guy in my book.

I'm kinda sad this is ending next week, I'm trying to save money for the manga volumes available here and I'll keep reading the new chapters, but it def won't be the same for me.

Necrovex

Holy shit eren really outdid himself with his entry for most annoying protagonist you'd like to kick in the dick if they were real award. Shinji from Eva was a lock for it but eren is really giving him some comp this episode.

Yup, he should have no hesitation to kill Annie. It's not like he knew her and fostered a friendship (or a strong comradely) over a three-to-four year period during their military training. Nope, he's just a whiny little prick. Suck it up, Eren!

His reaction was appropriate.

Blusby

Yup, he should have no hesitation to kill Annie. It's not like he knew her and fostered a friendship (or a strong comradely) over a three-to-four year period during their military training. Nope, he's just a whiny little prick. Suck it up, Eren!

Indeed, shut up and get in the titan Eren!

Roubjon

Not to mention that he is one of those characters whose righteous morals and believes are set in stone, so when it comes to killing someone who he believed was a dependable comrade he is going to hesitate.

BizzyBum

So next episode is the last for a first season?

Without spoilers, how far ahead is the manga compared to the anime? How long would we have to wait for new episodes?

Dresden

So next episode is the last for a first season?

Without spoilers, how far ahead is the manga compared to the anime? How long would we have to wait for new episodes?

There are 49 chapters out right now. The anime will end at chapter 33.

We'll see something next year.

We'll probably just get a 12-13 episode season next year if we get one at all. Personally I hope they wait til 2015 to air the next season.

BizzyBum

There are 49 chapters out right now. The anime will end at chapter 33.

We'll see something next year.

Is there a place I can read the manga or is it Japanese only?

Not sure I would even want to since I would know what happens for the future shows. Would make it less exciting...

Not sure I would even want to since I would know what happens for the future shows. Would make it less exciting...

They plan to have all volumes of the manga released by the end of this year, you can pre-order/order them though Crunchy Roll or Amazon. If you don't want to wait for official English releases you'd have to read fan scanlations. And before you ask about the later from manga gaf thread

Duckroll said:
This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

BizzyBum

I'll just wait for the anime.

I'm new to this so next up will be Death Note.

As for AoT, I really enjoy it. I love how everything is so over dramatic. Like, I can't imagine watching a live action movie/show where everyone is constantly screaming, but it just works so well here. Is it just the way the Japanese language sounds that makes it so awesome? lol

kirblar

The anime is better than the Manga due to it getting more emotional. But the Manga is still really, really good.

Oh you like overdramatic? Death Note is PERFECT for you. :p Just..don't watch S2.

mugwhump

The only apparent plothole I've been able to find in this show is how Erwin set up that trap in the forest. He didn't yet know about the female-type, and those spike guns would have been useless against the colossal or armored titans.

Eren interacted with Annie literally once during the entire course of this show. My confusion is nearing dangerously critical levels.

I thought it might look like that.
There was a scene (possibly?) cut from the manga if that helps, someone quoted me a few posts above yours. Eren's indecision was also way stretched out from what it was in the manga, where he transforms right after Mikasa says "It's a cruel world".

Did they pulled the tunnel secuence out of their ass or it's the source material so inconsistant?

I mean they head into the tunel because "Annie could not use her powers inside because there is no room enough" but Annie can effortlessly prierce the tunner with her feet. Right after they ask eren to transform... but wasn't that suposed to be imposible? If it wasn't, it would have destroyed the gound beneath Annie leaving Eren on a much lower ground and his friends under the falling rocks form the tunnel ceiling.

I mean it's so stupidly confusing I dont even...!

I assume they were going to go deeper inside the tunnel.

Nerokis

I thought it might look like that.
There was a scene cut from the manga if that helps, someone quoted me a few posts above yours. Eren's indecision was also way stretched out from what it was in the manga, where he transforms right after Mikasa says "It's a cruel world".

I'm not accusing you of spoiling anything, and I don't think this is a particularly big deal, but I think it's too early to say anything was cut out. The anime and the manga haven't always done things in the same order, so I think it's probably better to refrain from direct comparisons that hint at potential future events.

Dali

Appropriate to you perhaps but friendship is over as soon as you kill scores of my comrades including new friends I've made. He seemed to have completely forgotten what set him off and made him turn into a titan and fight her the first time. She's shown no consideration for human life and even then when he's being a little bitch she's striking blows to the tunnel that could potentially kill his two besties in the world. Sorry but he's being a bitch of Shinji proportions.

tensuke

Appropriate to you perhaps but friendship is over as soon as you kill scores of my comrades including new friends I've made. He seemed to have completely forgotten what set him off and made him turn into a titan and fight her the first time. She's shown no consideration for human life and even then when he's being a little bitch she's striking blows to the tunnel that could potentially kill his two besties in the world. Sorry but he's being a bitch of Shinji proportions.

He hasn't forgotten, in fact remembering makes it harder for him now that he knows it's Annie. Before, he didn't know who it was, so the fact that she killed his comrades made it easier for him to fight her. But now that he knows it's Annie, he hesitates because this is someone he has known for a few years and is supposed to trust, and Armin/Mikasa had no hard evidence it was her in the first place, and he didn't want to believe it could be her. But he finds out it is, and that makes the decision harder. Yeah, it should be easy regardless because of how many people she's killed, and the fact that she could kill Armin/Mikasa/anyone else while he's deliberating, but there's a lot more going on internally that gives him hesitation. Not the least of which, I'm sure, includes the fact that human or titan, Annie has always been superior in combat to him, which could possibly psych him out a bit too. But mostly that he has to fight the idea that Annie is against humanity.

And she has shown some consideration to human life, she spared Armin, which was kind of big. I have to agree about the Shinji comparisons though lol, it may just be exaggerated for the anime but he may as well be Shinji Jaeger.

Flai

I mean holy fuck, why are you talking about the manga? If you've read it, then yay for you, but don't come to the anime thread and tell spoilers (yes, that is a spoiler what you just said).

Maybe everyone who even mentions manga should be banned :p

People need to go rewatch Eva if they think Eren is anywhere near Shinji.

It's not like he was straight up refusing to fight, he almost bit his damn hand off. It's just the mechanics of his titan transformation means he needs a 100% clear head/rage mode before he can do it.

Eren hates titans probably more than everyone in the series, he's damn near insane in his hatred, to find out that a fellow human being and someone he trusts at that could actually be on the side of those monsters is obviously going to fuck with his head. Is it really that surprising that he has some deep seated reservations that stuck in his mind, and even then it only lasted a few minutes.

tolkir

For people annoyed with Eren this episode I'd encourage you to read the Manga chapter this was adapted from. Gives off a completely different impression compared to this episode.

I just read it and this is totally true, Eren looks normal. What a mess adaptation at this chapter.

Cloudy

Banned
Are you guys really serious? Saying non-manga readers will shit their pants if what I expect to happen does is a "spoiler"? With no quotes, hints or anything?

Kinyou

Are you guys really serious? Saying non-manga readers will shit their pants if what I expect to happen does is a "spoiler"? With no quotes, hints or anything?

If you try and post fake speculation that is in fact spoilers, then it's a ban. Those who have read the manga... let's try and stop goading the anime watchers as well - this includes the typical "wink, wink, nudge nudge" mentality that has been running rampant. Really, let's all be nice in here.

Hypron

The problem is that every time someone posts about the manga we get 10 posts of people arguing back and forth about it. This thread is for talking about the anime, let's just talk about it.

Reminds me of those game of thrones threads (people hinting at stuff/hyping episodes got really bad towards the end of season 3).

The only apparent plothole I've been able to find in this show is how Erwin set up that trap in the forest. He didn't yet know about the female-type, and those spike guns would have been useless against the colossal or armored titans.

He did figure out that the colossal and armored titans were shifters, and that they had possibly infiltrated the recon corps.

However, I don't believe the colossal titan can walk, and since the armored titan likely doesn't have the stamina to do all the running that Annie did, he probably hypothesized that there would be more shifters, and that they would send someone else to take Eren.

LiK

People need to go rewatch Eva if they think Eren is anywhere near Shinji.

It's not like he was straight up refusing to fight, he almost bit his damn hand off. It's just the mechanics of his titan transformation means he needs a 100% clear head/rage mode before he can do it.

Eren hates titans probably more than everyone in the series, he's damn near insane in his hatred, to find out that a fellow human being and someone he trusts at that could actually be on the side of those monsters is obviously going to fuck with his head. Is it really that surprising that he has some deep seated reservations that stuck in his mind, and even then it only lasted a few minutes.

Yup, I dunno why anyone thinks he was being weak. Dude was biting his hand like a mofo.

Blusby

People are comparing Eren to Shinji, what the bloody hell am I reading? You folks should brush up on your Peanutbutterandjellyon.

JulianImp

People are comparing Eren to Shinji, what the bloody hell am I reading? You folks should brush up on your Peanutbutterandjellyon.

Of course Eren has none of the issues Shinji had if you look well enough, but the comparison works at first glance because they both stop to ponder stuff while their friends and comrades are in danger.
Eren wasn't all "I musn't run away!", and he did try to transform superficially, but we know deep down he still wasn't sure about what he should do, which is why his transformation attempts failed. The fact he suddenly decided to go for it after being left a few minutes to chill under some rubble with nothing happening at all (other than the "sometimes we do what we must" line from Armin and Mikasa) was kind of awkward, in my opinion

EDIT:
Shinji would've gone catatonic for like 17 episodes after Levi's squad died.

Well, he kind of did go catatonic after his mother died, with the whole Mikasa force-feeding him
bread
scene and all.

Eren does have a force of will completely unlike Shinji's, though. I mean, he got into a titan's mouth after having his left leg bitten off to save Armin, got his right hand bitten afterwards (was that a Fullmetal Alchemist reference?) and still managed to survive long enough to activate his titan powers for the first time while inside the titan's stomach. Ha nearly always plays the determinator trope to a T, which is why some of his mental breakdowns seem like cop-outs (the events leading up to Levi's team curbstomp battle did make sense, though).

LogicStep

Episodes like the last one make me question if I want to read the manga or not. Seeing these things for the first time are blowing my mind. I don't want to lose that magic. :'( But I want to know what happens!

caught up. its ok fun... but can they freshen it up a bit? It's getting a bit too repetitive and i usually enjoy my endless shounen.

It's either,

1) new guys introduced with backstories, 50/50 chance of being blonde short hair. Gets killed off by some titan in 2 eps.

2) people being emo and rich people being rich or shounen people being shounen.

3) cool sweet spiderman samurai action... then everyone gets eaten anyways.

which all leads to ...

4) nothing ever really happening.

It's like the author is stalling to get past a writer's block.

Kinyou

ibkOsV9SJERrOc.gif

No worries though, Annies got this.

#TeamAnnie
I always love the shocked reactions when Eren transforms. You know that shit is about to go down.

caught up. its ok fun... but can they freshen it up a bit? It's getting a bit too repetitive and i usually enjoy my endless shounen.

It's either,

1) new guys introduced with backstories, 50/50 chance of being blonde short hair. Gets killed off by some titan in 2 eps.

2) people being emo and rich people being rich or shounen people being shounen.

3) cool sweet spiderman samurai action... then everyone gets eaten anyways.

which all leads to ...

4) nothing ever really happening.

It's like the author is stalling to get past a writer's block.

It's not like the anime team can really do much with what the mangaka has already written. It doesn't help that the anime's pacing can be kind of whack compared to the manga. You'll have things like the first episode which covers 1.5 chapters of the manga in a well paced episode, then you'll have episodes like this weeks where half of the episode is made up filler written by the anime team. I know "it's the anime and things can be different" but from what I've seen many peoples complaints about the story come from anime only scenes.

For those who wish to know what part of this weeks episode was filler
All the action scenes everyone's raving about after Mikasa and Armin split up is filler. In the manga they split and then Eren mans up and transforms. The scene of Erwin talking to the MP police kind of happens in the manga, only it's one page of the MP police guy saying "what are you guys up to there can't be a titan in the walls"

It's not like the anime team can really do much with what the mangaka has already written. It doesn't help that the anime's pacing can be kind of whack compared to the manga. You'll have things like the first episode which covers 1.5 chapters of the manga in a well paced episode, then you'll have episodes like this weeks where half of the episode is made up filler written by the anime team. I know "it's the anime and things can be different" but from what I've seen many peoples complaints about the story come from anime only scenes.

For those who wish to know what part of this weeks episode was filler
All the action scenes everyone's raving about after Mikasa and Armin split up is filler. In the manga they split and then Eren mans up and transforms. The scene of Erwin talking to the MP police kind of happens in the manga, only it's one page of the MP police guy saying "what are you guys up to there can't be a titan in the walls"

well filler action is usually fine for adaptions (more often then not, give the animators more freedom to do what they want instead of struggle to match action panels).

And i'm more digging at the mangaka for the pacing issues.

Things just get less awesome and tense every time you do the same stuff until you just wish they'd use stock footage and save their already low budget for the random 'slide show' moments this show has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom