• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

I'm kind of wondering how they're gonna manage an extra 10 minutes for the last episode.

Blood will be spilt.

I didn't notice the floor either. But I bet that's one of the reasons they don't mind putting a lot of animators on the show...how many people actually noticed that?

Would be great if they could replace some of the stills with fully-animated scenes in the BluRay release. The female titan being devoured by other titans and the survey corps fighting them off was probably the worst offender. The whole thing was made of stills.

fallagin

You know, the last episode of Attack on Titan was pretty great, but you can see how being rushed for time and trying to make up for it by just throwing more and more animators at each episode can do a number on the consistency of scenes:

These aren't from different parts of the episode, it's two consecutive shots. It's impressive how not a single aspect of the background plates are the same.

Oh wow, I would never have noticed that. Pretty interesting.

Dresden

You know, the last episode of Attack on Titan was pretty great, but you can see how being rushed for time and trying to make up for it by just throwing more and more animators at each episode can do a number on the consistency of scenes:

These aren't from different parts of the episode, it's two consecutive shots. It's impressive how not a single aspect of the background plates are the same.

Looks like top is cg assets while the bottom is drawn.

Mendrox

Wow, I never even noticed.Which I guess makes it better than stills replacing animation and BIG PURPLE ROCKS, both of which I noticed right away.

I'm kind of wondering how they're gonna manage an extra 10 minutes for the last episode.

Extra 10 Minutes? Where did you get that from?

Your points are valid but... it's still the best looking anime I've ever seen, by a stretch. Aren't we nitpicking a bit?

Kinyou

Your points are valid but... it's still the best looking anime I've ever seen, by a stretch. Aren't we nitpicking a bit?
Those things might also get corrected on the blue ray version.

Those are some comparison shots from the first blu rays:
shingeki-no-kyojin-5-b8esq.jpg

shingeki-no-kyojin-5-i0fhn.jpg

I imagine they'll also fix that mess that episode 13 was.

FluxWaveZ

Every single anime I've ever watched has had people complaining about its animation quality when I'm not one to pay attention to those things if they're not especially egregious.

kirblar

Every single anime I've ever watched has had people complaining about its animation quality when I'm not one to pay attention to those things if they're not especially egregious.
The purple rocks were really bad.

Green Eren getting "fixed" in the Blu-Ray, though, is actually something where the inadvertent mistake helped the scene- it works really well as a visual representation of his moment of triumph turning into terror/sickness.

Dear lord it looks like the TV version is a bloody rough draft that's a lot of clean up

Permanently A

Green Eren getting "fixed" in the Blu-Ray, though, is actually something where the inadvertent mistake helped the scene- it works really well as a visual representation of his moment of triumph turning into terror/sickness.

agreed. when eren transformed this ep erwin and the others had that greenish hue. I think it looks good

LiK

Man, looks so good. Ep 23 was perfect visually, imo. Please don't change a thing.

Branduil

Green Eren is still in the bluray.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

This is an honest question.. really? Are you fairly new to anime? Or are you saying in regards to your personal tastes in terms of style?

JulianImp

That copy-pasted crowd... heh. Whoever added those captions even wrote コピペ ("copy-paste") in there!

I'd say the show looks good, but it's nowhere near Brotherhood levels of quality, not by a long shot. There're several times when it's quite noticeable they're skimping on animations to get things done faster and cheaper, but I never found them jarring enough to the point I'd get annoyed by them. Oddly enough, I often skip over details such as the ones shown in these comparisons, and probably wouldn't even have noticed the cyan dirt unless I had read about it here (I guess I'd have noticed the magenta bricks, though).

I know this is subjective in regards to art style and stuff like that, but there's A LOT of good looking anime out there, a lot of which are modern.

I fell off the anime bandwagon a while ago. I'm one of those that was brought back by Titan. The only other modern anime I watch is One Piece, lol.
Though, I just got caught up on Brotherhood... and I can't believe how much better this anime looks compared to that.

kirblar

I think there's an audience for more "mature" action/adventure series that gets kinda underserved in general due to the scarcity of good source material. I know that I personally end up with a lot more "misses" than hits when checking out anime recommendations. HxH was one where people had to say "trust us, stick with it" and I'm glad I did. (I couldn't stand DBZ as a kid.) But a lot of others fall really flat for me - and not always because I'm watching something aimed for someone a lot younger and a lot more female. (Gurren Lagaan, for example, didn't click.)

Branduil

Had no idea they were re-doing scenes for the BD release. That's great.

That's pretty typical for anime. It's not so much redoing scenes as it is fixing animation mistakes that they didn't have time to fix before.

It will be nice for certain scenes in episode 13 to be coherent this time.

Moaradin

I fell off the anime bandwagon a while ago. I'm one of those that was brought back by Titan. The only other modern anime I watch is One Piece, lol.
Though, I just got caught up on Brotherhood... and I can't believe how much better this anime looks compared to that.

FMA: Brotherhood? I don't think Attack on Titan looks near as good as that show did. It was very consistent compared to this.

Jex

Backgrounds ground characters in a certain space and a certain place at a certain time. They establish geography, location and a sense of real, thought out world. They certainly deserve the attention of the creator.

Also, I don't want to sound like too much of an internet guy, but Attack on Titan wouldn't even be in top 100 best looking anime titles, let alone at the top.

FMA: Brotherhood? I don't think Attack on Titan looks near as good as that show did. It was very consistent compared to this.

... Dude, it doesn't look half as good as you remember, I promise. I use it as a point of comparison mostly because of all that awkward cgi they use, whereas Titan has it in spades, at actually makes it work.
The first time I saw Envy's true form, I thought I was watching Drinky Crow on AS, lol.

Well yeah, if you don't watch a lot, then you aren't going to notice some visual inconsistencies and/or make a big deal out of them, especially if your only other regular experience with the medium is a long running shounen with poor production values.

Still, I doubt you'd find a ton of people that would consider this some kind of visual revolution in the medium. For something like that, people would point more to something like Hyouka or Tsuritama as recent examples. Of course that isn't necesarily a deciding factor on how good something is. I like AoT MUCH more than either of those shows. And hey, to each their own, and I personally agree with you that the art style is great. Not my favorite looking anime ever, though, but it's at least got visuals I'll remember.

Branduil

Attack on Titan certainly has its positives, in terms of visuals. The thick lines really help the characters pop on screen, the dynamic action scenes are fun to watch, and the art direction has a powerful chiaroscuro effect at times. However, it's far too inconsistent to truly be great, and even at its best there are problems like the ugly CG backdrops.

It's certainly not near the top echelon of TV anime visuals like Cowboy Bebop, Dennou Coil, or Hyouka.

Well yeah, if you don't watch a lot, then you aren't going to notice some visual inconsistencies and/or make a big deal out of them, especially if your only other regular experience with the medium is a long running shounen with poor production values.

Still, I doubt you'd find a ton of people that would consider this some kind of visual revolution in the medium. For something like that, people would point more to something like Hyouka or Tsuritama as recent examples. Of course that isn't necesarily a deciding factor on how good something is. I like AoT MUCH more than either of those shows. And hey, to each their own, and I personally agree with you that the art style is great. Not my favorite looking anime ever, though, but it's at least got visuals I'll remember.

Well, I'm not just foaming AoT love at the mouth. AoT isn't actually my favorite anime ever. But when I look at it objectively, it just has better production values than most anything I've. But, like you said, it's just of what I've seen.
I will say, it's the first I've ever seen cgi in anime that I thought actually worked, and didn't look weird.

Attack on Titan certainly has its positives, in terms of visuals. The thick lines really help the characters pop on screen, the dynamic action scenes are fun to watch, and the art direction has a powerful chiaroscuro effect at times. However, it's far too inconsistent to truly be great, and even at its best there are problems like the ugly CG backdrops.

It's certainly not near the top echelon of TV anime visuals like Cowboy Bebop, Dennou Coil, or Hyouka.

Like, I'm not arguing art styles, I'm just saying as an objective view of the production values.
And honestly, if someone said AoT was a better show that Bebop, I'd have to smack them, lol.
But AoT has much better production values, that's plain to see.

Moaradin

... Dude, it doesn't look half as good as you remember, I promise. I use it as a point of comparison mostly because of all that awkward cgi they use, whereas Titan has it in spades, at actually makes it work.
The first time I saw Envy's true form, I thought I was watching Drinky Crow on AS, lol.

Pretty sure it does considering I watched it only a week ago. Envy CG is the only thing that I would consider jarring, and even then it's a lot better than the CG used in AoT. Just look at some of those environment shots. Specially during the Forest scenes a few episode ago. Some of those trees looked like cardboard cutouts.

AoT goes from looking great one moment to terrible the next. It has some of the most rushed looking animation that I've seen in a while. Really hope they get it sorted out by next season.

Lol, Calling me out.

Animegaf knows I've never been a CB fan. Even back in the day, I would get in arguments with my friends over which adult swim show was better, Cowboy Bebop or Yu Yu Hakusho. Never got the love, but hey, always nice when an anime gets super popular internationally even if it wasn't a mega hit in Japan. So yes, I think AoT is better than CB because I don't much care for it.

Pretty sure it does considering I watched it only a week ago. Envy CG is the only thing that I would consider jarring, and even then it's a lot better than the CG used in AoT. Just look at some of those environment shots. Specially during the Forest scenes a few episode ago. Some of those trees looked like cardboard cutouts.

AoT goes from looking great one moment to terrible the next. It has some of the most rushed looking animation that I've seen in a while. Really hope they get it sorted out by next season.
I just finished watching the last ep this last friday. Do I win?
Like I said, I like FMA better too... for now... but I just can't see how you can say it looks better. The way the production gets super lazy everytime a fight starts, the awful, unnecessary cgi.
Forest scene might have got lazy on the backgrounds... but it's just a bunch a trees either way, I don't care. At least the characters didn't have all the details drain off of them and start noticably skipping frames.

Animegaf knows I've never been a CB fan. Even back in the day, I would get in arguments with my friends over which adult swim show was better, Cowboy Bebop or Yu Yu Hakusho. Never got the love, but hey, always nice when an anime gets super popular internationally even if it wasn't a mega hit in Japan. So yes, I think AoT is better than CB because I don't much care for it.

I didn't really mean that smack thing, I was just emphasizing the point that I love that anime before I said AoT looks better. I think Bebop is the best anime ever made, but I can respect if someone doesn't.

wildfire

Banned
Japan works at its own pace dude. Strike while the iron is hot isn't exactly their modus operandi. Not saying it's not possible but worldwide popularity never seems to factor into these decisions.

I wouldn't say never. Big O lived and died on worldwide popularity.

Jex

Go give Bebop another watch sometime, it's on a whole different level production-wise from Titan.

That is certainly true. Sunrise put some mad talent on that series: (click images for bigger size):

As for comparisons to the FMA: Brotherhood series that seems a little unfair. Studio BONES, the creators of FMA: Bro are probably the premier action animation studio in Japan so it's no surprise that their show would look far superior to Wit Studios Attack on Titan. I mean, Attack on Titan is a show which frequently relies on still images and flashbacks to save money/time/staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom