• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up with this show yesterday. Man I really don't want to wait for a second season, this is why I usually don't watch ongoing shows. Are most people planning on watching the season finale and then just reading the manga?

I really want the story to pay off and I'm hoping the series keeps up this momentum.

tensuke

It's a pretty safe bet that this will come to [adult swim] in a year or so. Depends on how fast Funi can dub it, really.

Yeah, they got SAO pretty quick, it only aired last year in Japan and they have the dub running now, so I don't think a dub next year is out of the question with SNK's popularity.

Rarity

ibkOsV9SJERrOc.gif

No worries though, Annies got this.

#TeamAnnie

I'm all caught up now and god I love Annie.

mugwhump

Kay

What do you guys think is inside the basement?

I don't think it's the secret of the titans or anything, I think it's the truth about the outside world.

Eren's dad offered to show him the basement after Eren told his parents he wanted to see the world outside and not live like cattle and blah blah. Wouldn't make sense for his dad to say "HEY CHECK OUT THIS TITAN SERUM" in response to that.

NEO0MJ

I don't think it's the secret of the titans or anything, I think it's the truth about the outside world.

Eren's dad offered to show him the basement after Eren told his parents he wanted to see the world outside and not live like cattle and blah blah. Wouldn't make sense for his dad to say "HEY CHECK OUT THIS TITAN SERUM" in response to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the basement has a basement. The way his dad kept telling him to go to it while giving him the titan serum makes it seem very important.

sohois

Sorry I don't watch much anime, I'm guessing that's a no?

I don't get the reference either, but yes there almost certainly will be a season 2. The anime is mega popular and the manga source material is some 17 chapters ahead of where the anime is going to end ( but moving much slower, so expect a delay).

LogicStep

Just caught up with this show yesterday. Man I really don't want to wait for a second season, this is why I usually don't watch ongoing shows. Are most people planning on watching the season finale and then just reading the manga?

I really want the story to pay off and I'm hoping the series keeps up this momentum.

I'm thinking about it. I would love to wait and have that first time viewer magic like I did for this season but I don't think I can wait.

kurahador

So...apparently the author wants to end the manga sooner that expected.

Attack on Titan creator Hajime Isayama revealed that he aims to complete his manga in 20 book volumes. Isayama mentioned this during a discussion with fellow manga creator Hiroki Endo (All-Rounder Meguru, Eden - It's an Endless World!) that East Press published in the November issue of the martial arts magazine Gong Kakutogi on Monday.

Isayama is a well-known fan of martial arts, and Endo's All-Rounder Meguru manga deals with the world of amateur mixed martial arts. Endo discussed the homage he made in the manga to a certain famous match, while Isayama talked about depicting fights in his own manga.

Kodansha published the 11th volume of Attack on Titan in Japan last month, and the series has now sold over 20 million copies. Kodansha Comics is publishing the seventh volume in the United States this month.
Source: ANN

So what does that mean for timing and how much has the anime covered so far?

I think with the final episode of the series we should be up to around book 8. Assuming a second series padded things out a bit and the manga does wrap up with book 20, I could see the anime running for two more series to cover all of the manga material.

kurahador

So what does that mean for timing and how much has the anime covered so far?

Episode 24 ended exactly at chapter 32 and I imagine this upcoming finale will covers the entirety of chapter 33.
But the latest chapter is 49, so I don't think there are enough materials to make full season of 24 episodes yet.

Point is, the studio will be out of a job for a while unless they're doing odd OVA releases like the old HxH anime.

daveo42

Banned
It airs tomorrow. I can't wait!

I'm excited for the big showdown between Annie and Eren. Should be pretty epic. I just hope they end it where I think they will.

I'm sure there'll be a 2nd season, we'll just have to wait a year or more to get it. Hopefully by then they can just run seasons 2 and 3 back to back to finish out the story, if the mangaka wants to end his story sooner rather than later.

I'm thinking about it. I would love to wait and have that first time viewer magic like I did for this season but I don't think I can wait.

Yeah I'm not sure if I can hold off. I don't think spoilers are a big issue, it'd be easy enough for me to avoid, but I'm just so damn interested at this point. Gotta get to that basement!

I also know nothing about manga length but the fact that he has a plan to end this story is a relief to me. I'd have hated a huge story that drags on forever.

LogicStep

Yeah I'm not sure if I can hold off. I don't think spoilers are a big issue, it'd be easy enough for me to avoid, but I'm just so damn interested at this point. Gotta get to that basement!

I also know nothing about manga length but the fact that he has a plan to end this story is a relief to me. I'd have hated a huge story that drags on forever.

Same here man, same here. I'll probably just go straight into the manga. Hopefully someone says what chapter to start on once the episode airs tomorrow.

NEO0MJ

I'm sure there'll be a 2nd season, we'll just have to wait a year or more to get it. Hopefully by then they can just run seasons 2 and 3 back to back to finish out the story, if the mangaka wants to end his story sooner rather than later.

With these kind of shows the makers never seem willing to finish their work. The moolah is just too good.

JulianImp

With these kind of shows the makers never seem willing to finish their work. The moolah is just too good.

Can I point you to kurahador's post that reads "Attack on Titan creator Hajime Isayama revealed that he aims to complete his manga in 20 book volumes."? I hate when series get dragged on forever, so I was really happy to read this.

Still, if there're 33 more chapters to go, that's still going to be one hell of a wait, even more so for people who want to watch the anime.

daveo42

Banned

Really depends on if the author gets bored of it, only has ideas for it to a certain point before finishing it off, or have a set story they want to tell and no more. It's a stretch, but the situation could have been similar to the final manga story line of Bakuman where
the authors and their editor knows how short the story is but end up telling the publisher that it'll last longer and then break the news on down the line. Though, that was more on the anime end and not with the manga itself, if I remember correctly.

Publishers, on the other hand, want to keep a manga for as long as humanly possible if it's highly popular, drives up their sales, and increases their exposure though anime deals. Jump is probably very happy Oda has no plans on ending One Piece any time soon because he has a set story in mind, but I'd hate to be a part of the conversation where he knows the ending is coming and has to break the news to the editor/publisher.

NEO0MJ

Can I point you to kurahador's post that reads "Attack on Titan creator Hajime Isayama revealed that he aims to complete his manga in 20 book volumes."? I hate when series get dragged on forever, so I was really happy to read this.

Oh, I didn't notice that. I guess I'm just pessimistic. I've been waiting years for Berserk to end.

Nibel

Glad that he wants it to end so soon

Also, I really hope they go nuts tomorrow with the budget and animations and fights and WIR SIND DIE JÄGER

That's interesting. Feels like it needs more time than that based on all the plot threads he needs to wrap up. Of course plans can change (One Piece was supposed to last 5 years), but I wasn't expecting approximate endpoint information either way.

RedSwirl

Just asking, but how much has Christa actually showed up in the anime? I can't remember her very well. That's her in the fan art with Mikasa right?

kurahador

Oh, I didn't notice that. I guess I'm just pessimistic. I've been waiting years for Berserk to end.

Heh...it took 27 volumes for the title itself to make sense, I doubt the series even halfway done at this point.

I really hope he makes do on that, then. That'd total to roughly 60-70 episodes? Sounds good to me.

Even 2 chapters of manga aren't enough to cover 1 episode of anime with the action ramps up in the later story.

At most, we'll get another full season (25), one short season (12) and one movie.

daveo42

Banned
He said he wanted the story to end at 50 volumes or so, but at the rate he's working it might take 12 years :(

For a monthly release, it'd be going on for a very very long time. That's around 200-250 chapters in total, or around 16-20 years. Most of the monthly ones I've followed never go on that long. Maybe only for approximately 100-150 at most, except Skip Beat, which is just over 200 and is probably getting fairly close to the end thanks to some recent developments.

JulianImp

Just asking, but how much has Christa actually showed up in the anime? I can't remember her very well. That's her in the fan art with Mikasa right?

The only two scenes where I think she did anything worthwhile was when she gave Sasha some bread after she was forced to run all day as punishment, and when she brought some horses to Jean, Armin and Reiner; I loved that scene, since she was depicted as some kind of messiah, complete with sunbeams behind her, as Armin and Jean though "She's a goddess!" to themselves, while Reiner thought "I wanna marry her".

Besides that, I only remember seeing her a bit while everyone was struggling against the titans after Eren's "death", and she was also talking with other people on top of the giant trees while the recon corps was luring the female titan into their trap. I think the only secondary character that gets even less screentime than her is Ymir, her waifu.

Same here man, same here. I'll probably just go straight into the manga. Hopefully someone says what chapter to start on once the episode airs tomorrow.

yeah unless it ends with something incredibly satisfying I think I'll be jumping in too. But man that art style. Bleugh. I also have waaaay more fun power watching shows with friends so maybe that'd be incentive to wait.

Soundtrack as I'm sure plenty of people have posted has kicked in at a ton of perfect moments. I'm rewatching a few episodes (I know, I just caught up) and it's nice that certain tracks stick out.

This is the first anime I've gotten into for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom