• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

I don't have a problem with the ep. They did what needed to be done.
Yeah, we really needed to hear the "sacrifice one's humanity" speech three or four more times, simply to justify an anime-only "berserk" transformation (because everything has to be bigger, louder, etc) that ended with Eren once again hesitating anyway.
And since everything has to be bigger, we really needed more unnecessary drama with Nile being a bigger asshole, too.
And of course, everyone had to do something, even Levi, never mind his wound. It'll magically hurt again in the next series.

Yeah, we really needed to hear the "sacrifice one's humanity" speech three or four more times, simply to justify an anime-only "berserk" transformation (because everything has to be bigger, louder, etc) that ended with Eren once again hesitating anyway.
And since everything has to be bigger, we really needed more unnecessary drama with Nile being a bigger asshole, too.
And of course, everyone had to do something, even Levi, never mind his wound. It'll magically hurt again in the next series.

You'd fit right in over at MAL. Never seen so many bitter manga readers.

Soriku

So I'm confused at the ending.
Was that a Titan breaking through the inner wall?

It's a titan that's already been in the wall for a presumably long time, probably when the walls were first erected. The walls are probably made up of and/or supported by titans.

You'd fit right in over at MAL. Never seen so many bitter manga readers.

I find many anime/manga fans to be a bitter bunch.

And here I thought I had good reasons to dislike this episode. Clearly, I'm just a bitter manga reader who should be posting somewhere else. Thanks for letting me know.

Happy to help.

The show is absolutely flawed, but I do find the way a lot of people are reacting to this particular episode to be pretty funny.

Erigu

Happy to help.
The show is absolutely flawed, but I do find the way a lot of people are reacting to this particular episode to be pretty funny.
So funny you won't even begin to explain why, apparently, but you will say their reactions/opinions are funny.
Er... Please don't do that?

kirblar

So funny you won't even begin to explain why, apparently, but you will say their reactions/opinions are funny.
The decisions made in adaptation make a lot of sense given the need for a more conclusive ending. Some things have been swapped around slighlty chronologically and pushed to next season, and it's not anything that won't be easy to work around when the next season starts up. It's very similar to the GoT book readers who complain nonstop even though the show's amazing.

Think people (not all, some) are just overreacting. Things got changed up or switched around so they could put some kind of cap on the season, in case there isn't a second one.

I didn't feel any of the monologuing was any more repetitive or pointless than usual. What's wrong with going bigger, badder and berserk? That's this show's main appeal, the action sequences. This isn't a nuanced detective anime, it's a shonen through and through. I don't even know who Nile is. Maybe I should, I don't know. To complain about Levi doing something with a busted leg is silly. You're gonna tell me you've never seen a character "fight through the pain" before?

Lotta nits being picked, IMO.

Erigu

Things got changed up or switched around so they could put some kind of cap on the season, in case there isn't a second one.
Oh, come on...
1) See above.
2) It's a given there will be more episodes, at this point.
3) In a weird, really weird parallel universe where there won't be more episodes, this would be a shitty ending.

I didn't feel any of the monologuing was any more repetitive or pointless than usual.
Yes, and more of a bad thing is bad. Especially when it serves no actual purpose in the end other than being loud.

To complain about Levi doing something with a busted leg is silly. You're gonna tell me you've never seen a character "fight through the pain" before?
His wound is supposed to keep him out of the action for a while. If he joins the action anyway...

Dali

Think people (not all, some) are just overreacting. Things got changed up or switched around so they could put some kind of cap on the season, in case there isn't a second one.

I didn't feel any of the monologuing was any more repetitive or pointless than usual. What's wrong with going bigger, badder and berserk? That's this show's main appeal, the action sequences. This isn't a nuanced detective anime, it's a shonen through and through. I don't even know who Nile is. Maybe I should, I don't know. To complain about Levi doing something with a busted leg is silly. You're gonna tell me you've never seen a character "fight through the pain" before?

Lotta nits being picked, IMO.

The Levi thing was particularly stupid because he pretty much excused himself from the operation and wasn't in gear or uniform because he was that injured.

jett

D-Member
The manga runs in a monthly magazine. It's not going to get released any faster than it already is. The manga is far more popular than the anime anyway, so it's really the other way round, the publisher has more power over the anime production. :p

But there's not enough manga material for a full second season, right? They can't possibly stretch things out further than they did it this year. :p

kirblar

But there's not enough manga material for a full second season, right? They can't possibly stretch things out further than they did it this year. :p
The current arc seems to be drawing to a conclusion soon, and will be the "right" length for a 13-ep season. After that the Prequel's the most likely thing to be adapted, since it'll probably take another 18-24 months to get enough material from the main series.

Oh, come on...
1) See above.
2) It's a given there will be more episodes, at this point.
3) In a weird, really weird parallel universe where there won't be more episodes, this would be a shitty ending.

Yes, and more of a bad thing is bad. Especially when it serves no actual purpose in the end other than being loud.

His wound is supposed to keep him out of the action for a while. If he joins the action anyway...

Do I think there's going to be a season 2? Absolutely. They'd be idiots not to greenlight that ASAP. But it's not scheduled yet. It's a soft ending. There are loose ends, but it doesn't open anything new. Shit got all fucked up, and humanity has their work cut out for them. The tease at the end is just that. A tease.

Yeah, lotta dialogue in this show is bad. No argument from me. I wouldn't choose to judge this episode's dialogue any worse than usual, though.

I just don't see the big deal about the Levi thing. Characters do that kind of thing constantly in all sorts of media.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm really gonna miss this show. No clue where my weekly hype is going to come from next. :(

Erigu

There are loose ends, but it doesn't open anything new.
Er... It does, actually.
But again, that has nothing to do with the criticism I expressed above anyway...

lotta dialogue in this show is bad. No argument from me. I wouldn't choose to judge this episode's dialogue any worse than usual, though.
Well, I would. It was pretty bad how they kept repeating themselves from the previous episode and even within the same episode, especially when it only served to justify a short anime-only sequence that didn't go anywhere (filler rarely does).
And I could play the "it was the last episode of the TV series" card, here. I really could have done without that annoying nonsense on a last episode. Not exactly a good note to end on.

redhood56

Banned
I liked the last episode. So with the post credit scene does this mean there will be a season 2, or will it be another
deadman wonderland
situation.

jediyoshi

Every now and then I accidentally enter the spoiler thread and everything goes in slow motion as I head for the back button.

The long-awaited reveal of
the wall Titan face
seems really anticlimactic. I know the "end of the season, what if they DON'T renew one of their hottest anime properties for a second season!?" argument, but they could have done something way better than change it so that
everybody's gone and then the facade around the face just pops out like it's spring loaded even though it was damaged hours ago.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It was a solid ending. About exactly what I'd expect for a story that is still
In its infancy. Awesome animations and battle scenes. I was a fan of SSJ2 Eren. I thought maybe he had unlocked his own "power" aka super berserker mode, but saw that it was anime-only. Solid episode. Feel bad for people who can only bitch about it.

Mariolee

Going from the anime to the manga is so bizarre. I mean, the general art style is the same, but as another Gaffer mentioned they almost seem like just quick rough sketches compared to the beautiful animation and colors we see in each episode.

Has there been any word of renewed/ongoing season? I know it's a given due to the popularity of the anime, but I find it odd there's nothing official yet?

Sami+

Holy crap that was awesome.

I read the manga two weeks- couldn't take the wait. I'm glad they changed stuff, unlike apparently a lot of people? Ending it the way the manga chapter ended would have been an awful conclusion. Anime-watchers are probably going to be waiting for about a year for the next season, so I'm glad they turned the big twist at the end into a little teaser for the next season. Felt like a really good conclusion to the anime in my opinion.

Also
SSJ2 Eren and Annie's decapitation were amazing.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 25

iPX4LShkIGoLI.jpg

Being Jean is suffering.

Hmm, wasn't really a fan of how they did this episode. They tried to expand the manga material to make it more climactic, but I don't think it worked as well as the previous episode. There were some good moments, but it wasn't as well-animated, sharply directed, or interesting as the previous episode. It felt quite rushed. They also totally screwed up
the wall titan.
They should have ended the series on chapter 34 instead of 33, I think.

Ultimately, this series would be substantially improved if someone would edit it down to a couple of 2.5-hour movies.

I liked that
the guess on the sidelines "they're merging?" was wrong/misleading instead of being a hand-holding explanation to the audience.

Episode 25 spoilers beware I guess

I thought the fusing was likely Annie stealing energy from Eren to achieve the crystal protection and then the comment was to help the audience notice it?

Episode 25 spoilers beware I guess

I thought the fusing was likely Annie stealing energy from Eren to achieve the crystal protection and then the comment was to help the audience notice it?

I think she
was trying to seal Eren with herself to protect the other titans from his threat
or have sex with him forever.

I think she
was trying to seal Eren with herself to protect the other titans from his threat
or have sex with him forever.

I guess I could see that too

The first one lol

I thought the manga made it clear annie didn't see him like that? (2nd one)

Not that I would mind of course

cj_iwakura

Well, if you had told me early on that Armin would become my favorite character, I'd have called you insane.

Either him or the crazy Titan fangirl whose name escapes me.
So glad she survived. She showed her badass commanding chops in Episode 24-25.

Not sure whether I'll jump to the manga, but we'll see. The show had its ups and downs, but the ups fire on all cylinders.

Also, to the 'omg what do I watch now' crowd: Steins;Gate. It's free on Hulu.

In the manga
there was never any "fusing" hinted at. Eren tried to pry her out of the neck, there was a flash of light, then she was in the crystal in Eren's hand. Mikasa looks down and can't tell what's happening because of the light and plume of smoke, and then chunks of the wall start falling off and she's suddenly staring Wall Titan in the face. End chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom