• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
It's been a rough week for Mikasa.

tumblr_mtw4idCJEU1s4o1sbo1_1280.png

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Oh come on, it could just as easily look like
one is standing behind the wall.

I mean..just common sense-wise with how its drawn, the thickness of a wall, the size of a titan..that thought just never occurred.

If you've read the manga (I think you have), then just don't talk about stuff that was purposely left vague. There could be only
one titan inside the wall
, we don't know it.

Geezus..I don't think I can come back to this thread if someone thinks all of that needs to be spoilered..

kirblar

Same-week information is spoiler texted to allow people to view the episode on their own, since there's not a unified EST airdate.

Episode 25 down. Curiosity got the better of me, as predicted, and I went into the manga. I really just don't feel as tense reading the manga as I did watching the show.

The art is definitely not as bad as I thought as long as there is action. But in slow sequences or conversations the drawing style, proportions and scale are laughable. In a show where there are huge titans you gotta convey scale correctly and there are plenty of times where it just isn't apparent. I think the voice acting and music present in the anime also made me on edge whereas in the manga I just sort of breeze on through the intense sequences.

I'm so desperate for answers that I'll probably keep reading (even though I'm getting more questions than anything) but I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the show.

Cloudy

Banned
I looked up the manga for this episode just now. This is how the scene after the credits was handled in the manga.

For anyone confused by it from the anime - just click the link if you want to know what the last scene was all about.

I don't get why they couldn't have ended it the same way. I guess at the start of S2, they'll be doing repairs and and notice it?

Ninjimbo

I quit watching the show at episode 5 since the ending left me too intrigued to not switch over to the manga. It seems like I made the right choice given that the season stopped where it did. I'm positive it'll get a season 2 though.

So what episodes are the "Annie" episodes? I kind of feel like watching how the show runners animated that arc.

NEO0MJ

I don't get why they couldn't have ended it the same way. I guess at the start of S2, they'll be doing repairs and and notice it?

If it ended the same way as in the manga it would feel like the show got suddenly cut. The way they presented it in the anime fits the current situation better.

My theory:

The walls are made of titans. That is how the ancestors built their foundations to make them forever strong and self-recovering, so they can eternally protect the people inside. I don't think the titans inside can move though, they are disemboweled and impaled or something.

If it ended the same way as in the manga it would feel like the show got suddenly cut. The way they presented it in the anime fits the current situation better.

I just don't think that relegating one of the biggest and most dramatic plot twists in the series to
a post-credits stinger that a lot of people missed, with a hokey guitar chord, drawn poorly at an angle that caused a lot of people to think that the Titan was outside pushing its face through a hole in the wall and not INSIDE the wall, with nobody around to even see it
is very good. It turned one of the coolest moments into a wet fart of a teaser.

KmA

I'm kinda confused at the outrage for episode 25 considering
it was pretty obvious that we weren't going to get any answers.
I'm assuming there is going to be another season, but we'll just have to wait and see.

cj_iwakura

I just don't think that relegating one of the biggest and most dramatic plot twists in the series to
a post-credits stinger that a lot of people missed, with a hokey guitar chord, drawn poorly at an angle that caused a lot of people to think that the Titan was outside pushing its face through a hole in the wall and not INSIDE the wall, with nobody around to even see it
is very good. It turned one of the coolest moments into a wet fart of a teaser.

I liked the ominously subtle route myself.

I liked the ominously subtle route myself.
For something that was meant to be a climacitc cliffhanger twist to end the season on (since you know, the big fight ended 15 minutes ago), I would have greatly preferred a "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!" than a "Oh, there was something after the credits? Ok let me go back... wait, huh?"

Dennis

Banned
So how long do we have to keep spoilering the Episode 25 content - including the post credit reveal?

Obviously manga spoilers that go beyond the anime belongs in that other, forbidden, thread but don't we usually after a day, to allow people to catch up, go all out?

Ifrit

So in 25 episodes, Eren couldn't manage to kill a single titan with his 3D Maneuver Gear he was supposed to be good at

I never quite got why you would read (the newest comments in) this thread anyway before you watched the latest episode. It's either getting spoiled or looking at walls of spoiler tags.

Kola

Ok, manga time.

Since I won't be in Japan until next year, I was wondering where I should order the mangas. Should ship to Europe. Is yesasia.com ok? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to add that if you have not read the manga or do not plan to under no circumstances should you highlight the spoilers in the above post.

Yeah, I had a disclaimer, but I wasn't sure if it was clear enough, so I've added an extra one. I'm not 100% sure which thread to use for it, because it's comparison between the anime and the manga, but more focused on the anime. If people feel it's more suitable for the other thread, I'll move it there.

EDIT: Move I shall. :)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Anime is far superior to the manga in my opinion. It sorts out a whole bunch of pacing issues and puts the story into almost a more realistic passage of time.

I guess the stinger at the end could have had a Hanji reaction or just any character to say what actual perspective it was, but I still liked it. Liked the finale overall really.

For those now jumping to the manga, get prepared for a rough ride. The author is not exactly proficient at getting all his ducks in a row.

Yeah, I had a disclaimer, but I wasn't sure if it was clear enough, so I've added an extra one. I'm not 100% sure which thread to use for it, because it's comparison between the anime and the manga, but more focused on the anime. If people feel it's more suitable for the other thread, I'll move it there.

EDIT: Move I shall. :)

No problem. We just want to preserve the mystery for the anime only viewers so they can get the full impact.

Chake

Banned
So in 25 episodes, Eren couldn't manage to kill a single titan with his 3D Maneuver Gear he was supposed to be good at

To be fair, it seems like the author wants the idea of killing titan to be harder than what other animes tend to do with their infinite respond bad guy (Them hollows in bleach). I don't think there is another character besides mikasa and levi that could kill a titan easily.

Shiver

My theory:

The walls are made of titans. That is how the ancestors built their foundations to make them forever strong and self-recovering, so they can eternally protect the people inside. I don't think the titans inside can move though, they are disemboweled and impaled or something.

Self-recovering?

RoyalFool

Banned
To be fair, it seems like the author wants the idea of killing titan to be harder than what other animes tend to do with their infinite respond bad guy (Them hollows in bleach). I don't think there is another character besides mikasa and levi that could kill a titan easily.

I thought they were meant to be powered by sunlight?

To me it sounds like humans didn't even build the wall to begin with and that maybe the titans are some kind of fail safe - if the humans try to expand they flick a switch to blow the walls and instant titan army wipes them out.

In all truth - judging by how many questions they keep asking and how few they answer, I get the impression not even the author has a fucking clue and is making it up as they go along.

Dali

I thought they were meant to be powered by sunlight?

To me it sounds like humans didn't even build the wall to begin with and that maybe the titans are some kind of fail safe - if the humans try to expand they flick a switch to blow the walls and instant titan army wipes them out.

In all truth - judging by how many questions they keep asking and how few they answer, I get the impression not even the author has a fucking clue and is making it up as they go along.

I've always found the idea that the walls could be built while the titan threat existed pretty impossible. But there had to be a threat otherwise what's the point of building the walls? A: The titans built them to imprison the humans.

I also get the feeling this is going to be like Lost. Of course disappointing anime endings is more the rule than the exception but I usually don't watch as they air so the disappointment isn't the culmination of years of watching and waiting (i feel so sorry for avid Lost watchers). Rather it's just a few weekends with no wait for cliffhangers if I so decide to watch the next episode right away.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why would the titans build them to imprison the humans? They spend most of their time trying to break in and kill them anyway. Seems a bit... self-defeating to lock them out of reach.

Maybe it's like chocolate? Sometimes I hide chocolate away. I know it's there, but the effort I went to hide the chocolate acts as like a psychological reminder I shouldn't eat it yet.
No? Not even a little bit?

remz

Why would the titans build them to imprison the humans? They spend most of their time trying to break in and kill them anyway. Seems a bit... self-defeating to lock them out of reach.

Maybe it's like chocolate? Sometimes I hide chocolate away. I know it's there, but the effort I went to hide the chocolate acts as like a psychological reminder I shouldn't eat it yet.
No? Not even a little bit?

The titans that tried to break in were a.) abnormals and b.) a relatively recent occurance.

definitely think there's something suspicious about the wall tho.

RoyalFool

Banned
I've always found the idea that the walls could be built while the titan threat existed pretty impossible. But there had to be a threat otherwise what's the point of building the walls? A: The titans built them to imprison the humans.

I also get the feeling this is going to be like Lost. Of course disappointing anime endings is more the rule than the exception but I usually don't watch as they air so the disappointment isn't the culmination of years of watching and waiting (i feel so sorry for avid Lost watchers). Rather it's just a few weekends with no wait for cliffhangers if I so decide to watch the next episode right away.

My first feeling about the show when watching the first few episodes was that it was very loosely based on the future portrayed in H.G Well's "The Time Machine".

If your not familiar with the book basically he travels to the future and finds the human race seem to be doing rather well for themselves - living in bliss, only to later find out that they are actually just cattle, not allowed to leave and get periodically attacked by the new rulers of the world (for dinner!)

The show hinted early on it was set in the distant future, they are walled in and yet seem to be living pretty luxuriously - for some reason it seems trying to gain knowledge of the outside world if frowned upon or forbidden by the upper classes etc.

Shiver

Or the same people (or whatever they may be) who built the walls also created the titans.

Maybe the human titans has the same objective as the recon corps: disrupt the status quo.

This actually annoyed me from the start.
Literally not a single person questions how they build the walls in the first place?! Apart from it being pretty difficult with their tech and resources, how the fuck should they build it if there are tons of titans being attracted to humans. I guess you could sacrifice a few million people as bait, but still, one abnormal is enough and they probably kill humans faster than x people can build a wall with such a diameter.
But nope, everything is fine. Somehow we don't have any records from 100 years ago. Or at least we don't teach that stuff in school.

Makes the scenario feel forced. Maybe they should have said the walls are 1000 years old or whatever.
Obviously there is something about them. There's now at least one huge titan in the wall...
The story of the miner in this episodes suggests the wall also continues beneath the city. But how far? Even below the landscapes? Coupled with the scene in which Armin watches the birds flying over the wall imo suggested some kind of golden cage scenario. But that makes not much sense considering they can and do leave the walls...

Totally expect a giant glass dome in the sky now :p

This actually annoyed me from the start.
Literally not a single person questions how they build the walls in the first place?! Apart from it being pretty difficult with their tech and resources, how the fuck should they build it if there are tons of titans being attracted to humans. I guess you could sacrifice a few million people as bait, but still, one abnormal is enough and they probably kill humans faster than x people can build a wall with such a diameter.
But nope, everything is fine. Somehow we don't have any records from 100 years ago. Or at least we don't teach that stuff in school.

Makes the scenario feel forced. Maybe they should have said the walls are 1000 years old or whatever.
Obviously there is something about them. There's now at least one huge titan in the wall...
The story of the miner in this episodes suggests the wall also continues beneath the city. But how far? Even below the landscapes? Coupled with the scene in which Armin watches the birds flying over the wall imo suggested some kind of golden cage scenario. But that makes not much sense considering they can and do leave the walls...

Totally expect a giant glass dome in the sky now :p

Trust me a lot of people have been questioning the walls

My earlier comment on this before I realized
the titan was in the wall
but still think it's possible

Hmm.. I found the "half-time" facts (or whatever they are called, the little facts that come when the show goes to/comes back from the commercial break) pretty interesting in the finale. Interesting even for a manga-reader imo :)

First: Second:

Personally I think it suggest there might be something under the walls and I have an idea of what it is

My belief is the city was made before the titan attacks happened AND it was made because of the impending titans

I am thereby suggesting the titans were originally created by this city's governemnt whether a secret group or the head (king) as it stands now I do not know

And also suggesting that the inital titan creation may have occured in a facility hidden beneath the city only accessible at certain access points

Trust me a lot of people have been questioning the walls

I meant the characters. I mean, we don't hear the thoughts of mastermind Erwin etc., but surely these thoughts should pop up in the mind of most of the citizens. It's just that the scenario doesn't deal with this logic for the plot's sake.

edit: so basically you would speculate,
that the city/walls were build before the titans were a threat, because they e.g. were created in a secret facility etc. ? Then what we've known should also be all lies from the government/whoever. But their lies would still not explain how they build the walls, so people should be wary.

Dresden

well fuck then...

don't tell me nothing is gonna happen until the manga loses popularity and gets cancelled and he plot dumps the last few chapters.

It's one of the most popular properties of the last decade. The manga sells millions. If what Isayama said holds up, it'll end in the next nine or ten volumes.

It's been a rough week for Mikasa.

I kind of hope that the relationship between Eren and Mikasa matures, and I don't necessarily mean romantically although that wouldn't bother me either. Mikasa needs to tone the intensity down a bit. The way that she wants to protect Eren is obsessive. And Eren needs to realize that his sister loves him (sisterly love that is) and he should be happy to have someone who cares. It would make it more realistic. Real life is cruel and as people who truly care go, it can get lonely. I know I've experienced it. The interactions between Eren, Mikasa, and Armin as well as the other trainees before the second wall breaching were so human and interesting. The interactions in the dorm during training were great. Then the titans came and now everyone is crazy in the head. Sucks but I guess that's the way life is. Kids on the playground are so happy, imagination still intact. Adults at work are like aaaahhhh what am I going to do!?!?! Not out loud of course but you can see it in their eyes. I guess the 104th trainee squad just transitioned to adult life.

Contra11

Banned
I will never ever see an anime before its finished and have a true ending ..

this shit looks like advertising for the manga -__-

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I kind of hope that the relationship between Eren and Mikasa matures, and I don't necessarily mean romantically although that wouldn't bother me either. Mikasa needs to tone the intensity down a bit. The way that she wants to protect Eren is obsessive. And Eren needs to realize that his sister loves him (sisterly love that is) and he should be happy to have someone who cares. It would make it more realistic. Real life is cruel and as people who truly care go, it can get lonely. I know I've experienced it. The interactions between Eren, Mikasa, and Armin as well as the other trainees before the second wall breaching were so human and interesting. The interactions in the dorm during training were great. Then the titans came and now everyone is crazy in the head. Sucks but I guess that's the way life is. Kids on the playground are so happy, imagination still intact. Adults at work are like aaaahhhh what am I going to do!?!?! Not out loud of course but you can see it in their eyes. I guess the 104th trainee squad just transitioned to adult life.
I hope it develops romantically.

Why can't human titans grow a massive dong? They seem to be able to create and heal body parts willingly. I would walk proudly around with it like that thing in This is the End.
Annie increased her boobies as well, there's no tactic advantage in that.

Eren titan swings it around. Cue Mikasa fainting.

Maybe I am weird, but I want it to develop romantically. I do want it to advance from what it is now though, in whatever form.

I meant the characters. I mean, we don't hear the thoughts of mastermind Erwin etc., but surely these thoughts should pop up in the mind of most of the citizens. It's just that the scenario doesn't deal with this logic for the plot's sake.

edit: so basically you would speculate,
that the city/walls were build before the titans were a threat, because they e.g. were created in a secret facility etc. ? Then what we've known should also be all lies from the government/whoever. But their lies would still not explain how they build the walls, so people should be wary.

Ah ok I misunderstood what you meant then

Yeah it's hard to believe that more people don't question how they're in their current situation (the walls, the cities etc.)

I do think the wall prophets or whatever they're called have created a fear culture for the last couple hundred years about the walls (changing them, opening them, talking about their origin if not from god etc.)

My theory continued

IF humans created titans then at some point they had far greater technology then we can see currently

Personally I think humans created titans because it fits too well with the narrative being woven

Humanity causing its own problems through ignorance, hubris etc.

So that would in turn imply the technologhy had either been lost by most OR was originally kept secret to begin with

I think it'd be the latter and that there is likely a secret group within the walls that support the human titans but might not be titans themselves

And they have access to whatever lays beneath the city

I mean what purpose does the bottom wall layer serve?

Titans have never been known to dig to my knowledge

I don't know I just love some wild anime speculation :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom