• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a series to watch with my kids and this looks pretty cool. Is this for grown ups only? I don't let my kids watch very edgy stuff.

It's a shounen series, meaning it's aimed at children in Japan, but the standards for that kind of stuff are very different elsewhere. Were this to air on Anerican TV, it would probably get a tv-14 or even tv-ma rating.

It's your call, but like others have said, it might be better to watch it yourself and then decide. The Titan designs can definitely be unnerving and possibly too much for kids.

LiK

Hanji probably has all of 4 minutes of screen time in the entire 25 episode run so I don't understand the reasoning there.

Wrong. You must've missed that one ep where it was basically all her and Eren talking about her Titan discoveries. And every time she reappears it's for a good purpose.

Every time Sasha appears she's either hungry or scared as shit.

Hanji probably has all of 4 minutes of screen time in the entire 25 episode run so I don't understand the reasoning there.

Don't hate on my girl, son.

aitdWpi.jpg

Kinyou

I just assumed that Eren's
Titan hyper-mode was his special ability akin to Annie's skin hardening.
Eren definitely seems to be some kind of special titan, I just recently noticed that he has those weird elf ears while every one else has normal ones

daveo42

Banned
He's also the only intelligent one with skin.

Doesn't help when he keeps destroying his limbs when he punches anything. Though it is kind of nice I suppose.
Annie
probably thinks that skin is useless to her combat abilities and is just another thing that would need to be regenerated.

Soriku

I just assumed that Eren's
Titan hyper-mode was his special ability akin to Annie's skin hardening.

His fire mode isn't even in the manga apparently.

The part in the story of the digger where the bedrock is made of the same material as the walls is intriguing. I think SwiftDeath's theory about an underground facility makes sense.
In fact, I'm almost certain of it, because I'm pretty sure manga readers promised us that there would be a future explanation for why humans didn't just live underground

I want to know what role the King plays in all this. We're starting to get the sense that there's a conspiracy on the level that would have to involve top levels of government, and he's been notably absent the entire series.

The bedrock is probably made up of hardened titans, similar to how the wall seems to be with this titan in the wall revelation. But I wonder how much of the titan that appeared is hardened, as it seems like its face at least isn't.

However IDK if the other titans are naturally capable of hardening themselves to the same extent as Annie or is Annie's hardening ability a bit more special.

Irminsul

I just saw the tracklist for the AoT OST… is it normal that the names of the tracks are, for lack of a better word, batshit insane?

Like "ətˈæk 0N tάɪtn" or "army⇒G♂".

Although I have to admit "凸】♀】♂】←巨人" is the best and shortest iconographic description of what's happening in the series I've ever seen.

MilkBeard

Gonna avoid reading posts until I'm caught up to the current episode. I just started watching Attack on Titan, I'm about to watch the 11th episode.

Holy shit, lots of twists and turns. This show is great so far. Sad to find out it's only going to be 25-26 episodes. They could have stretched it out further, but I guess part of the reason it's good is because it's more to the point. None of the DBZ/Naruto stuff where a battle is stretched out for like 10 episodes.

I just started watching this show, gotta say, I love it! Haven't seen an Anime on this level in a while. Totally going to get this on disc.

JulianImp

Yep, that one Unity fan game does already deliver better "swing" action

Yeah. From what I saw of that early demo, that fangame looked a lot more intersting than this. From the trailer, it looked like there'd be few titans onscreen, and the only two deaths they showed used basically the same grab animation.

I feel like a fast-peaced action game like SnK deserves is too much for he 3DS to handle reliably, at least with this art style. I can't help but wonder if the game wouldn't have goten more use out of the hardware and play better overall by using more stylized graphics (such as cel-shaded ones).

Lies. LIES

tumblr_mok2bd4Sif1qh7o1lo1_500.gif

image.php

Honey Bunny

here follows the contents of my head after the last episode, written out so as to be more coherent to myself

Attack on Titan 25
iPX4LShkIGoLI.jpg

Being Jean is suffering.

Yeh, that look, in context, confirmed to me what I and everyone else have been thinking as to his identity.

Given that perspective, his comment here

Jean said one of the dumbest things I have heard in anime too. 'So if he killed all the other titans..will that be a win for humans?" or something like that. I mean yes..yes it would be. Wtf how is that NOT a win

can be interpreted in a lot of ways. He knows something we don't yet.
Annie's suspension in crystal is a neat plot device that lets the writer bring her back whenever he wants. Maybe she's waiting for Eren and co. to learn something that will make them more sympathetic to her cause and result in her not being executed? Jean's comment seems to imply that Eren and co. may not be fighting on the right 'side' for humanity. And immediately after Jean's comment, Armin watches a pair of geese fly over the walls together...this same shot is the opening to episode 1. I'm still trying to figure out what they're hinting at there, besides the obvious of freedom and life outside the walls or whatever.

A long while back itt someone posted a theory that involved a big cover-up surrounding the walls and titans
which most of us can see is a likely path for the narrative after ep 25
, speculating the wall-worshippers were involved. It's interesting then
that in this particular episode where we are made aware of titan(s?) being present inside the walls, it opens in one of those wall-worshippers ceremonies, whose doings we've never really seen before. Annie crashing through the church right after the priest tells his audience to not doubt the holy walls is obviously making a mockery of what he's preaching. So that to me is the hint that they are indeed in on the cover-up as the previous poster speculated.

The question now is
how far the cover-up goes and how it came about that the monsters (supposedly)exterminating humanity are essential to humanity's only means of (supposed) protection from them. The situation rules out that the walls were made before the titans existed, barring some massive spanner being thrown into the plot like SwiftDeath's speculation about humans once being more technologically advanced, but I doubt humans would make titans just so they can stuff them inside big walls - they must have been created for another purpose, or with no purpose at all.

A pertinent question would be why does Eren fight against the titans when all the other human ones are on the opposing side. With what we know so far, including that story about the miner, I'm going to speculate that just as humans above ground fight against titans, humans below ground are still producing them. Eren doesn't fight on their side because he escaped below ground somehow, maybe his father rescued him (he is a doctor that worked with a 'plague that killed a lot of people', right? seems like a likely candidate to be in on the whole thing). Maybe the powers that be need to sacrifice humans to this titan process for the sake of some greater good (which is why Jean implies Eren's course destroying all the titans may not be best for humanity) but the doctor was not willing to sacrifice his own son. In fact...in the first episode Eren's father says he'll show Eren what's in 'the basement' after Eren complains '[if no one does their job] those who lost their lives [fighting the titans] will have died in vain.' Maybe this made his father want to explain to Eren that there is a good reason for the situation humanity has found itself in. One also has to wonder why some titans are more advanced and are human, while others seem not to be. Honestly speculation as to why titans were (and maybe continue to be) made is too difficult at this point.

I don't know how I'm going to resist reading the manga.

and erwin remains the most handsome motherfucker

TUSR

Banned
Tomorrow.

Just kidding, they haven't even confirmed a second season yet. Read the manga if you can't wait, since most likely the second season won't come until a year from now.

Well from what ive seen in the 25 episodes, its definitely a lock for a second season.

How far ahead has the manga been throughout the first season?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
So now it's time for the big decision: wait for the second season or read the manga. What do you manga readers recommend?

kiyomi

Episodes 18-25

So.. I didn't really get any semblance or understanding of the motivations behind
why Annie fucks shit up.
I know we haven't been fully informed, but I might've missed something obvious. Someone wanna enlighten me? :(

NEO0MJ

Episodes 18-25

So.. I didn't really get any semblance or understanding of the motivations behind
why Annie fucks shit up.
I know we haven't been fully informed, but I might've missed something obvious. Someone wanna enlighten me? :(

That mystery for season 2 =D

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
It'll probably be like a 10 minute or less OVA. It's bundled with the manga volume that will be released in DEC.

Ohhh, that explains it.

So now it's time for the big decision: wait for the second season or read the manga. What do you manga readers recommend?

I jumped into the manga after the finale and I regret nothing. Shit gets serious, son.

Yawnier

Banned
Just caught up on Episodes 24 and 25 since I've been a bit busy lately, but I thought it was a decent finale myself. If anything, its only reinforced the thought to me that the show's high points are just phenomenal but the slow parts and low points can just drag on like hell too. Either way I can't wait for the hopefully inevitable season 2, since this is the first anime I've watched with keen interest in years since the first few seasons of One Piece.

Now I got to find something else to watch for the next like year or so :p.

Soriku

Just caught up on Episodes 24 and 25 since I've been a bit busy lately, but I thought it was a decent finale myself. If anything, its only reinforced the thought to me that the show's high points are just phenomenal but the slow parts and low points can just drag on like hell too. Either way I can't wait for the hopefully inevitable season 2, since this is the first anime I've watched with keen interest in years since the first few seasons of One Piece.

Now I got to find something else to watch for the next like year or so :p.

Watch Fate/Zero (already finished though). Otherwise there's HunterxHunter 2011 and Kill la Kill.

Yawnier

Banned
Watch Fate/Zero (already finished though). Otherwise there's HunterxHunter 2011 and Kill la Kill.

Yeah, I'm going to have a good look into all of them. Looks like there is only 1 episode of Kill la Kill out so far, so I will probably watch a few episodes of Fate/Zero and Hunter x Hunter (of which I have heard great things about both of them) first to see if either of them click with me. Also, thanks for the suggestions.

Soriku

Yeah, I'm going to have a good look into all of them. Looks like there is only 1 episode of Kill la Kill out so far, so I will probably watch a few episodes of Fate/Zero and Hunter x Hunter (of which I have heard great things about both of them) first to see if either of them click with me. Also, thanks for the suggestions.

Just be warned that the first episode of Fate/Zero is slow and is also 40+ mins long. I dropped the show when I first saw it because that first episode was so slow, but I went back to it eventually and it's one of the best anime I've seen. So just have a little patience, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom