• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Finally watched the last episode of Attack On Titan. Overall, I really enjoyed the anime, despite a few minor flaws. Really the biggest issue I have with the series is unexplained things/ missed potential. I feel like the entire show moved so fast and that they could have spent another season or two filling in some back story or gaps in things that are unexplained. Perhaps if more seasons are announced, they will go into greater detail.

But really, this anime had me on my toes, and I think it was episode five when I think I....nearly shat myself. I definitely want to see more of those kind of surprises.

For now I'm gonna go and see if there are other anime that can fill the void. I watched the first episode of Kill la Kill, and I enjoyed it, but it's really not my style. Too ridiculous. I like shows that are more along the lines of Attack on Titan with a focused story and plot development. I'm gonna try Sword Art Online to see what that's all about.

Reporting in to say that after you people's collective hype over this thing wore me down over the course of the last few months, I just watched this whole damn series over the last week or so. I'd read a few random manga chapters of Attack on Titan, but it had never draw my interest. All the characters look the same, all the characters die. Well, the anime fixed the first one...

Episodes 5-8 were incredible, and while the rest of the show didn't match that, it was still excellent.

Watching it over such a short time frame, I'd say any pacing complaints felt extremely dubious. Soundtrack complaints were also dubious, since it was pretty awesome. Really solid show all around. Hopefully they can get a 2nd season going as soon as the manga provides enough material.

Also, Levi is awesome

MilkBeard

Reporting in to say that after you people's collective hype over this thing wore me down over the course of the last few months, I just watched this whole damn series over the last week or so. I'd read a few random manga chapters of Attack on Titan, but it had never draw my interest. All the characters look the same, all the characters die. Well, the anime fixed the first one...

Episodes 5-8 were incredible, and while the rest of the show didn't match that, it was still excellent.

Watching it over such a short time frame, I'd say any pacing complaints felt extremely dubious. Soundtrack complaints were also dubious, since it was pretty awesome. Really solid show all around. Hopefully they can get a 2nd season going as soon as the manga provides enough material.

Also, Levi is awesome

Yeah, I was hoping for another gut wrenching moment like in Episode 5 but it didn't quite happen. That was definitely the peak of the show for me. However, the rest of the show was good and it really picked up during the big Survey Corps operation. And yeah, Levi is a badass.

Yeah, I was hoping for another gut wrenching moment like in Episode 5 but it didn't quite happen. That was definitely the peak of the show for me. However, the rest of the show was good and it really picked up during the big Survey Corps operation. And yeah, Levi is a badass.
I say 5 through 8, because the gut-wrenching moment in 5 is almost perfectly balanced by
Mikasa's reaction
at the end of episode 8.

There's a quote from the Count of Monte Cristo: "There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more."

It's certainly 100% true in storytelling.

MilkBeard

I say 5 through 8, because the gut-wrenching moment in 5 is almost perfectly balanced by
Mikasa's reaction
at the end of episode 8.

There's a quote from the Count of Monte Cristo: "There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more."

It's certainly 100% true in storytelling.

I can't remember exactly, but I think you're talking about when
she says "the world is cruel."
Yeah, that part hit home for me as well, in a sort of philosophical sort of way. If that's not what you're talking about, then you'll have to remind me.

kirblar

Episode 21 is pretty insane.

I can't remember exactly, but I think you're talking about when
she says "the world is cruel."
Yeah, that part hit home for me as well, in a sort of philosophical sort of way. If that's not what you're talking about, then you'll have to remind me.
The scene where Eren emerges from his Titan and she completely breaks down.
Remarkably well done. Also, the music for that scene is perfect... and it doesn't seem to be part of the standard OST. smh.

ultron87

Of all the acrobatics in the show I think my favorite is still this little ground slide move Mikasa does right before Eren seals the wall. It just feels a lot more physical and real than some of the more high flying stuff she and Levi do later on.

Limit

Cant wait for a another season. Now my sundays feel empty without SnK. Any anime with the same sadness and epicness?

There are a bunch.

1. Blassreiter. Here is the entire series, courtesy of funimation. Lots of gloom and some good action scenes.

2. Deadman Wonderland: Another recent great show with tons of despair. Keep in mind that unlike Blassreiter, this story is not complete. And so far there is no season 2 in sight.

3. Btoom: The intro tone of this show is likely to put some people off because the pathetic backstory of the protagonist may hit a little too close to home. The main character is a bum who spends all his time playing videogames, negating any and all family responsibilities. If you can get over that, there is a good story to be seen here. The protagonist definitely evolves over time. Like deadman wonderland, some plot here is left hanging and there is no season 2 on the horizon so far.

This should be enough for now. You can start going back in time and there are dozens of more shows with dark undertones to be found. There is code geass, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

There are a bunch.

1. Blassreiter. Here is the entire series, courtesy of funimation. Lots of gloom and some good action scenes.

2. Deadman Wonderland: Another recent great show with tons of despair. Keep in mind that unlike Blassreiter, this story is not complete. And so far there is no season 2 in sight.

3. Btoom: The intro tone of this show is likely to put some people off because the pathetic backstory of the protagonist may hit a little too close to home. The main character is a bum who spends all his time playing videogames, negating any and all family responsibilities. If you can get over that, there is a good story to be seen here. The protagonist definitely evolves over time. Like deadman wonderland, some plot here is left hanging and there is no season 2 on the horizon so far.

This should be enough for now. You can start going back in time and there are dozens of more shows with dark undertones to be found. There is code geass, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

Thanks, i will check them out.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, the protagonist's backstory hitting close to home is part of the reason I love Welcome to the NHK so much. Thanks for the recommendation; I've never heard of this one before despite it being pretty recent.

Finally saw the last episode. The series has its hooks in me. Im even being a weirdo about wanting Eren and Mikasa finally go the next step. Felt sad at the credits. Have to wait so long for more episodes. I will probably end up just reading the manga.

xkramz

AoT IMO has the best OST in a anime that i ever heard. it gets you emotionally involved with the character and makes you want to rewind the scene again and again.

Cant wait for a another season. Now my sundays feel empty without SnK. Any anime with the same sadness and epicness?

Blue Gender: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELJc-qump5lbk you have a choice of sub or dub.

The themes are the same. Humanity is in a losing fight against a force that one day came out of nowhere. The odds of victory are so slim and people die. It's a really good show and finished in 26 episodes. Not as epic because the attack on titan director is one who specializes in epicness where every little action is epic, but it's a great show.

Dabanton

After waiting ages I finally got to watch all 25 episodes over two days which was a much more enjoyable way to enjoy this show.

This was my first anime in a long long time as I fell out of love with it as nothing was really catching my attention and some of the tropes became a bit too much.

Not that SnK doesn't deal in some of those things but it's general premise was good. And the first episode was actually quite horrific. The titans are actually effectively creepy. Just seeing them eat people quite happily chilled the blood.

Overall I found it quite good. The mystery was handled well even the infamous episode 5 had me on the edge of my seat. But it I actually think the
female titan
arc was more interesting even though it was obvious who it was,it still managed to keep the central mystery going.

kiyomi

Not that SnK doesn't deal in some of those things but it's general premise was good. And the first episode was actually quite horrific. The titans are actually effectively creepy. Just seeing them eat people quite happily chilled the blood.

Overall I found it quite good. The mystery was handled well even the infamous episode 5 had me on the edge of my seat. But it I actually think the
female titan
arc was more interesting even though it was obvious who it was,it still managed to keep the central mystery going.

This was actually one of my biggest disappointment with the show. I should rewatch the first couple of episodes again, but the sense of mystery seemed so far greater initially, and the Titans were actually feared, although that was probably more of a result of the childhood/training arc. The Titans became increasingly less creepy, we saw less of the gorey monstrosities that they were in the initial first few episodes, and it got to the point where half of them looked like comic relief running around the forest.

It was only after the point you reference in your spoiler, where the
female Titan makes an appearance
Titans actually got interesting again.

Irminsul

This was actually one of my biggest disappointment with the show. I should rewatch the first couple of episodes again, but the sense of mystery seemed so far greater initially, and the Titans were actually feared, although that was probably more of a result of the childhood/training arc. The Titans became increasingly less creepy, we saw less of the gorey monstrosities that they were in the initial first few episodes, and it got to the point where half of them looked like comic relief running around the forest.
I've personally never got that feeling, as there never was much progress in dealing with the Titans. Temporary "victories", sure, but in the end, basically everything ended in a defeat for the humans. I've actually think that's positive, as I feared they'd be capable of slaying Titans like nothing in the end. But they didn't.

kiyomi

People sure love to complain about this show.

It had its' ups and downs. Mostly downs after an interesting start.

I've personally never got that feeling, as there never was much progress in dealing with the Titans. Temporary "victories", sure, but in the end, basically everything ended in a defeat for the humans. I've actually think that's positive, as I feared they'd be capable of slaying Titans like nothing in the end. But they didn't.

Yeah, I guess I'm talking more about the way in which they're sheerly represented. You're right about them being almost pyrrhic victories in which there are heavy losses for seemingly not much gain. Nothing was really "dealt with", as you say, but it just felt like they were a little more intimidating earlier on.

The crew has gotten better at beating up some titans but this is only inside of the walls or in the giant forest. I hope there's another occasion for everyone to go again to Titanville away from the safety of all the buildings and trees on nothing but flat level ground for as far as the eye can see and see what the crew thinks of their progress then.

I can't see them winning this fight without harnessing the power. Which power is obvious to everyone who has seen all the episodes released so far.

ghstwrld

Now that it's over, it's totally clear how much stuff in the second OP is hidden in plain sight; the part where Annie's covered in blood rain is so brazen. *.*

This was my first anime in a long long time as I fell out of love with it as nothing was really catching my attention and some of the tropes became a bit too much.

I'm sure some of those tropes are completely absent in many anime series, even modern ones. You could always ask for recommendations in the seasonal anime thread if you care to try and get back into the medium.

Superflat

Lack of Potato Girl after the first half :T

I was completely enraptured up to episode 6, which was extremely effective at subverting your expectations if you didn't know what you were in for.

The
return of Eren and the ability to turn into Titans
sort of had me disappointed initially. I really liked the initial premise of humans doing everything in their ability in a futile attempt to scrap together whatever humanity has left for themselves.
But then they introduce giant titan on titan fights, none of which to me were all that interesting in comparison to humans outsmarting Titans.
I wasn't sure if I liked that direction (I still kinda don't know if I'm 100% behind it), but whatever, that's not what the creator intended, and I respect that.

I'm still anticipating what's coming up and I enjoyed the series thoroughly, despite a few pacing issues in the middle.

Nibel

Titan Bros, after fellow Gaffer kirbler recommended Hunter X Hunter to me, I can say: this is legit

The arc which I'm watching now (Chimera Ant arc) feels really a lot like Attack On Titan from the sheer brutality and the situation the humans are in; and all the other arcs until then are really excellent since most stuff doesn't play out like you think. It kind of feels like a more intelligent Dragon Ball to me; and I really do appreciate the adventure aspect of this show

It really is a great show and I hope that will kill the thirst of some of you!

FluxWaveZ

Titan Bros, after fellow Gaffer kirbler recommended Hunter X Hunter to me, I can say: this is legit

Last time I followed a recommendation from this thread I ended up watching Btooom! and I loved it, so I might as well continue with Hunter X Hunter since people have always been talking about it in this thread.

Was certainly intrigued after episode 1, though I didn't feel as though it would turn out to be anything special just from that.

rexor0717

Now that it's over, it's totally clear how much stuff in the second OP is hidden in plain sight; the part where Annie's covered in blood rain is so brazen. *.*

I'm not going to say anything detailed, but the anime does make some things...really obvious.

Nibel

Was certainly intrigued after episode 1, though I didn't feel as though it would turn out to be anything special just from that.

Watch a few more episodes - the first arc deals with the hunter exam which is pretty cool and well made, but the anime gets into god-tier territory in the second arc

Soriku

Last time I followed a recommendation from this thread I ended up watching Btooom! and I loved it, so I might as well continue with Hunter X Hunter since people have always been talking about it in this thread.

You ain't seen nothin yet.

kirblar

You kinda have to get past the first 26 eps or so for the series to reveal what it's really doing.

Not that they're bad, but they're intentionally sort of formulaic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I ordered 1-7 volume of Attack on Titan books. Is there anything different from anime?

Its more graphic (mostly when Titans eat people) and the author's art style is pretty rough.

The arc which I'm watching now (Chimera Ant arc) feels really a lot like Attack On Titan from the sheer brutality and the situation the humans are in; and all the other arcs until then are really excellent since most stuff doesn't play out like you think. It kind of feels like a more intelligent Dragon Ball to me; and I really do appreciate the adventure aspect of this show

It really is a great show and I hope that will kill the thirst of some of you!

You should post in the OT if you're caught up.

Nibel

You should post in the OT if you're caught up.

I'll join you guys as soon as I'm at 98 - I'm reading the earlier pages of that thread and it's fun to read the reactions of people who watched each episode at their releases

Fucked x Fucked is a valid description of the CA arc :lol

Enough of HxH though, sorry for derailment, but it's a good show if Titan made you thirsty for more quality anime

Goddamn, I'm jealous. What I would give to watch HxH for the first time again (especially with 99 episodes now)!

Tizoc

When will the next season air? Honestly with the way this season ended, I'm better off watching all eps. in one go, but I really do hope the author can wrap up the series within the next few years.

As is though, and I know I asked before but I don't feel like re-reading the manga from the start:
Which chapter continues from the events of Season 2's finale please?

Sadness? Def. Watamote, dunno about Epic but it's crazy awesome.

Soriku

When will the next season air? Honestly with the way this season ended, I'm better off watching all eps. in one go, but I really do hope the author can wrap up the series within the next few years.

As is though, and I know I asked before but I don't feel like re-reading the manga from the start:
Which chapter continues from the events of Season 2's finale please?

A second season hasn't been announced yet so who knows.

Start reading from chapter 33 or so.

Arksy

Hey, I just want on a 3 month trip. I watched up until the end of that battle back in episode 8 or something.
Everyone was threatening the main character because he was a titan.
Worth getting back into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom