• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The anti-Eren. Stoic uber-competent badass. Would smang Mikasa metaphorically before the end of the first volume.

0q4zFCYl.jpg

It's what people actually want, right? The sales don't lie. The number of complaints about how 'annoying' Eren is don't lie.

My soul, it aches. It aches so hard.

Also: I fucking love that piano cover. So good.

Jex

The anti-Eren. Stoic uber-competent badass. Would smang Mikasa metaphorically before the end of the first volume.

0q4zFCYl.jpg

It's what people actually want, right? The sales don't lie. The number of complaints about how 'annoying' Eren is don't lie.

It's true. We all want the protagonist to as bland and forgettable as possible.
Actually if you look closely thats not a titan. Its a red hood avatar which Kayaba Akihito use to represent himself in the first episode.

duckroll exposing that he's not a true SAO fan.

Taruranto

I don't remember so many people bitching about Eren in the manga. I blame Yuki Kaji.

Plus the manga pretty much only starts now, kid Eren is only a small part of the character.

If only that Guts crossover is real? If so omg cannot wait.

I also read up on the manga and lol I knew the author was going to
pull out some bullshit to even the sides
. Got to give him props for catching me out though. However I feel betrayed for some reason and tbh after seeing the rest of it I've lost interest in the series. Nevertheless it is good to see new shounen anime cropping up.

RangerBAD

If only that Guts crossover is real? If so omg cannot wait.

I also read up on the manga and lol I knew the author was going to
pull out some bullshit to even the sides
. Got to give him props for catching me out though. However I feel betrayed for some reason and tbh after seeing the rest of it I've lost interest in the series. Nevertheless it is good to see new shounen anime cropping up.

Those things just deepened my interest.

Kinyou

I'm quite fond of the Titans' designs, especially of the smaller ones. Those blank stares and dumb grins really creep me out. In certain ways they also look like traumatized children which is even more disturbing.

Just started watching this, it's been a while since I followed a shonen action show. First episode is really cool. I love the creepy titan faces.

I wasn't following SAO during the time it aired but wow at the people shitting on Kirito considering Eren's VA did Shu Ouma of Guilty Crown.

Kazzy

I wasn't following SAO during the time it aired but wow at the people shitting on Kirito considering Eren's VA did Shu Ouma of Guilty Crown.

His key failing is that he barely registers as a character. From the inception of the first arc (Sword Art Online), to the very end, I couldn't really tell you anything that I gleaned from his character, because there just wasn't the necessary scope to allow for that development.

It's hard to empathize with a figure who is never troubled, simply escapes any situation, no matter how improbable, and succeeds in all this just because. It's ironic that he exists within the fiction he does, because he is an avatar, one that has no real discernable quirks to call their own. Which probably speaks to his popularity, because people seemingly love that self-projection, and the wish-fulfillment fantasies that go along with it.

There is nothing exciting about a Gary-Stu.

Jex

Just a few more random thoughts:

All these shots in the OP:

Look ridiculous, like they're all synchronised swimmers or something. I understand that it's meant to look epic, or something, but it doesn't because they're all floating through the air in a nonsensical fashion.

The way this shadow falls at the beginning of the first episode:

almost seems to foreshadow (if you'll pardon an accidental pun) this shadow falling later on:

I didn't realise that when the lightning strikes outside the city walls the clouds have all formed a very unnatural circle which then breaks apart later:

This is kind of obvious, but it really does make it seem like the titan was shot down to earth along with the lightning.

This
bully
gets killed good:

RangerBAD

Just a few more random thoughts:

All these shots in the OP:

Look ridiculous, like they're all synchronised swimmers or something. I understand that it's meant to look epic, or something, but it doesn't because they're all floating through the air in a nonsensical fashion.

You'll understand when you see the 3D gear in action and they do have to be pretty synchronized. They're not floating either.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
will watch. Thanks OP. Brilliant OP :)

Kagami

Funimation and Crunchyroll dont get official names for the characters? (also who is supposed to be the one "experiencing the misfortune"?)
tumblr_mldaj6JcaG1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mldaj6JcaG1qbxqfpo2_500.png
Second image is correct. Saying that having to train them is "misfortune" for him (because they suck) is part of the drill sergeant act.

私が運悪く貴様らを監督することになったキース・シャーディスだ
"I'm Keith Shadis, the one with the bad luck to end up coaching you."

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Just watched first episode, I'm assuming some of these may be answered but two things bugged me:

1. The city seems to be highly populated, how do they get their food? They should have considerable farmlands to support a city like that, and since they can't go out and we've seen none of that in the city..

2. How come no one's using projectile weapons? Ancient humans didn't go up to giant sloths or elephants and try to stab them, they had spear-throwers or bows -- that would be much more effective against something as dumb and big as a "Titan".

Subitai

Just watched first episode, I'm assuming some of these may be answered but two things bugged me:

1. The city seems to be highly populated, how do they get their food? They should have considerable farmlands to support a city like that, and since they can't go out and we've seen none of that in the city..

2. How come no one's using projectile weapons? Ancient humans didn't go up to giant sloths or elephants and try to stab them, they had spear-throwers or bows -- that would be much more effective against something as dumb and big as a "Titan".
2. Keep watching or ask to be spoiled

1. They farm and do other stuff inside the walls.
ibqk87konyo7eZ.jpg

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Watched the second episode, some comments:

1. They're on a crowded boat that people are so eager to get on, and yet they sit? You can fit a lot more people if they all stand. Same goes for the crowds at the rations place and so forth, all of the population withdrew to a tiny place yet they seem to be fairly well off. There are denser crowds gathered for food at mess halls.
2. If you had 250,000 "fighting" (or being sent to die is what I assume the point was) these Titans, it's kinda silly that the kids expect to make a difference just by being able to thrust a sword a bit harder. Better off learning how to make better cannons.
3. I figure all of the soldiers we saw received the same training they now will, yet I have the feeling these brats will be able to do much more than the dozens we saw in these first two episodes. Hope it'll be different somehow.

Only two episodes out? Shame, I usually wait quite a while till I start watching because I hate the week-to-week wait - didn't notice it was so new this time around.

Kurita

The three kids are not a "one-man army" (well, you get what I mean :p), don't worry.
There's a ton of characters, I can't even remember the name of half of them.

JJD

This thing looks creepy as hell. What's it called?

Also, I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHCLjuOzXY

Berserk spoilers:

That is Ganishka, ruler of the Kushan Empire and a rogue Apostle of the God Hand.

He looks like this on his human form:

833355_photo0.jpg

But when he gets angry you can see that's there is something unnatural about him:

attachment.php

He was probably the oldest and most powerful Apostle, but he defied the God Hand, and quickly realized how weak he was compared to then.

He turned into that thing (a mindless beast of the apocalypse) when desperate to achieve ultimate power he got inside a demonic machine his sorcerers made that was meant to turn regular human babies still in their mothers womb into artificial, weaker Apostles for his demon army.

Guts killed hundreds of titan sized monsters that formed out of the Beast of the Apocalypse body.

When he was finally defeated in a joint effort by Griffith, Guts, Zod and an unintended help from SkullKnight, his death destroyed the barrier between the real and the fantasy world bringing forth the Age of Fantasia.

Ikael

First anime I have seen since my anime hiatus after finishing Madoka. Damn, what a salvo of opening episodes. The premise is awesome and intriging, the fighting scenes are great, the opening theme and the music puts you on an instant OMG SO PUMPED state and the whole gloomy feeling of a world slowly coming into an end is extremely well represented.

Please, please, please have a good, coherent ending please. Can you promise me that, you manga reading people? I don't want to be invested and get my heart broken with yet another promising anime with a Lost-esque ending.

Necrovex

First anime I have seen since my anime hiatus after finishing Madoka. Damn, what a salvo of opening episodes. The premise is awesome and intriging, the fighting scenes are great, the opening theme and the music puts you on an instant OMG SO PUMPED state and the whole gloomy feeling of a world slowly coming into an end is extremely well represented.

Please, please, please have a good, coherent ending please. Can you promise me that, you manga reading people? I don't want to be invested and get my heart broken with yet another promising anime with a Lost-esque ending.

The manga hasn't ended yet, so no one cannot promise anything.

I guess the best type of ending would be one that would leave it open enough to give hope for a second or third season for whenever the manga wraps up.

Arksy

I just watched the first two episodes, and while I quite enjoyed its brutality and its set up something is really annoying me.

The government marches hungry refugees into a slaughter zone and no one protests? Really? No one? No one talks about the political implications of the famine?

Why is it that no anime ever deals with the kinds of political issues that seem so butter and bread to western storytelling? I'd like to think that I'm pretty broad minded but I fail to see how the above event could have happened without a single whimper of a protest or opposition outcry.

I just watched the first two episodes, and while I quite enjoyed its brutality and its set up something is really annoying me.

The government marches hungry refugees into a slaughter zone and no one protests? Really? No one? No one talks about the political implications of the famine?

Why is it that no anime ever deals with the kinds of political issues that seem so butter and bread to western storytelling? I'd like to think that I'm pretty broad minded but I fail to see how the above event could have happened without a single whimper of a protest or opposition outcry.

Survival > Political Unrest? How else would they have dealt with the food problem?

People are stupid and the Government is very good at manipulating them into thinking what they want them to think.

duckroll

Episode 3

Cheap, cheap, cheap episode. I guess we all kinda expected this to happen sooner or later. It's an outsourced episode, some parts look rather dodgy, and it has a TON of stills in it, even during scenes which are generally supposed to be animated. Pretty hilarious. At least they picked a slow training episode to go cheap. Not a lot happens here, but they're definitely expanding more on character development compared to the manga. It's going to pay dividends later on when stuff actually happens. There's a vocal BGM towards the end of the episode which is fucking hilarious though. Totally didn't expect that. :p

Imagine this scene from the manga animated with those same panels as stills (lol):

On the other hand, Sasha has the best scene in the episode. And no, it's NOT the potato scene. :D

IIRC it is stated in the manga
that there was some protest, but literally no other option for dealing with the famine and the genocide that was covered up as an attempt to win back the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom