• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

It's weird because it's not like all the girls got lip-gloss--Sasha was spared, for example. I hope it goes away after this episode.

Sasha was wearing lip-gloss made of potatoes.

tumblr_mlkz66pYdz1rcwmxvo1_500.gif

KUEYL.jpg

duckroll

It's weird because it's not like all the girls got lip-gloss--Sasha was spared, for example. I hope it goes away after this episode.

Remember all the complaints we had about how hard it was to tell who was male or female in the manga? Maybe they took that stuff into consideration a bit too seriously in the anime. :p

Permanently A

So, I watched the first three episodes, and then I went and read all the manga.

And, I'm kind of annoyed, because things happen and then for some reason or another they aren't/can't be explained. Its frustrating and it keeps happening, too many unsolved mysteries and more and more keep popping up. I'm still interested, but I mostly really want to see the explanations to whats happened.

I'll watch the anime for the glorious animation though.

Kurita

Remember all the complaints we had about how hard it was to tell who was male or female in the manga? Maybe they took that stuff into consideration a bit too seriously in the anime. :p
Heh, I think that Ymir was the only "androgynous" character.

Episode 3 – A Dim Light in the Darkness of Despair - Humanity Rises Again (1)
tumblr_mlme9bocTm1rkuc5no1_500.gif

Still am a bit baffled at how they treat Eren, as the lead character in this series, it doesnt really make sense that certain other characters is consistently given the preferential treatment, shouldnt it be the other way around. He even embodies the idea of having guts with no talent, perseverance, determination, and good spirit. So yeah
THough it did feel good when Eren did eventually get the hang of it on the third try there, but defective equipment, that seems a bit odd. Anyway hope for the best for him in the future

Connie is the best of the bunch introduced so far and easily my second favorite character after Eren, and he even got a good voice, Syo Kurusu (utaPri). Jean as well. I cant wait to see the rest of the task finally get a mission and take out these foes, they are all at least compelling and can already feel attached to quite a few.

Vocal insert song was excellent, would like the ost.

Jarmel

Banned
Whoever on the production staff thought the lipstick was a good idea, is an idiot. Some of the characters don't even remotely look like their manga counterparts like Mikasa.

So in episode three I do not understand
they walked out to the lake in the middle of the night.
Just, like, why?

Yeah in the manga
they basically said Eren had pent up sexual frustration which is why he couldn't pass the training. The military however bans sex between the trainees. So they basically snuck to the middle of the lake at night to have raunchy gay sex.

No but seriously, I haven't a clue either.

Jarmel

Banned
Just, like, why?

I didn't figure that out either. Were they training? Also didn't he ask to switch belts so wouldn't Eren's belt be a new one the next day?

RangerBAD

Uh?
Ch17 page 12, they immediately mention it's a "her".

In the Japanese, it's never clear of
Hanji's
gender and the mangaka won't tell us either, but it's clearly a girl. Is this going to be a One Punch Man thing again?

Just, like, why?

That's anime only. I guess it was just there to encourage him, but really to show off a beautiful background. That's where the budget was for the episode.

Episode 3 was great, even with the budget stills, though I need someone to explain to me this one scene:

The part where everyone is eating and Eren is stressing out, and Mikasa says that if Eren has to leave the military then she will come with him. There's a cut back out and then the entire dining room is empty except for Sasha, who's now sitting in Eren's place, and who then asks if she can eat Mikasa's bread. Then there are four faded stills of them sharing the bread, the last two of which are Sasha's excited expression becoming more somber. Needless to say, I was confused as hell.

Permanently A

Episode 3 was great, even with the budget stills, though I need someone to explain to me this one scene:

The part where everyone is eating and Eren is stressing out, and Mikasa says that if Eren has to leave the military then she will come with him. There's a cut back out and then the entire dining room is empty except for Sasha, who's now sitting in Eren's place, and who then asks if she can eat Mikasa's bread. Then there are four faded stills of them sharing the bread, the last two of which are Sasha's excited expression becoming more somber. Needless to say, I was confused as hell.

They didn't share it, Mikasa pretended to give it to Sasha and then ate it all herself

duckroll

See: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54704571&postcount=793

:lol

They didn't share it, Mikasa pretended to give it to Sasha and then ate it all herself

Ah, I see. Was there any significance to
Sasha's change in expression at the end
?

Oh yeah, I saw. But what's the link between the change in scene?
Mikasa's talking to Eren, and then... was she actually saying those things to Sasha? Or only thinking them? They really lost me with that jump cut.

Branduil

Ah, I see. Was there any significance to
Sasha's change in expression at the end
?

Oh yeah, I saw. But what's the link between the change in scene?
Mikasa's talking to Eren, and then... was she actually saying those things to Sasha? Or only thinking them? They really lost me with that jump cut.

Rewatch the scene, Eren walks off when the bell rings.

Arksy

That's another thing that annoys me about this, aside from the glossing over of incredibly significant events like marching 1/4 of the entire human population into a slaughterhouse.

The music. It doesn't match the setting at all. How does light rock fit in with a medieval Japanese setting where humanity is on its last legs and they're fighting what they know to be a losing war? Where's the sombre slow compositions that would be a beautiful fit for this setting?

It's a real immersion break. It's not the only anime to do this either. Needless to say I'll keep watching but these things do bug me somewhat.

duckroll

The music. It doesn't match the setting at all. How does light rock fit in with a medieval Japanese setting where humanity is on its last legs and they're fighting what they know to be a losing war? Where's the sombre slow compositions that would be a beautiful fit for this setting?

This is a show from the director of Death Note. :lol

The music is amazing regardless. First anime in a long time where I'm waiting for an OST release.

This is the first anime I have watched since Steins;Gate. It must be good.

Moonlight

Banned
Episode 3:
So did someone sabotage Eren's belt or was it just random happenstance that it got broken?
I didn't get either impression.

The drill instructor clearly knew Eren's dad, the impression that I got was that he was giving Eren another shot (because, y'know, determination) and made up the 'defective belt' excuse so as to not look soft.

Dresden

The drill instructor clearly knew Eren's dad, the impression that I got was that he was giving Eren another shot (because, y'know, determination) and made up the 'defective belt' excuse so as to not look soft.

Doubt it, given
his sudden success once he gets another belt. The instructor does know his mother, but outside of that, it was him noticing the defect - we see this in how you get a shot of him glancing, and noticing, Eren's kit up close. There's also no reason for him to lie, and his line afterward suggests a confirmation of Eren's potential as a soldier, not doubt.

ultron87

I read it the opposite way.
Eren succeeding at all with the defective belt was super impressive and then when he got a working belt he was in great shape.

I just assumed it was sabotage since there was some obvious antagonism between Eren and some of the other recruits and the instructor mentioned that he has never seen that part get damaged before.

kiyomi

I read it the opposite way.
Eren succeeding at all with the defective belt was super impressive and then when he got a working belt he was in great shape.

I just assumed it was sabotage since there was some obvious antagonism between Eren and some of the other recruits and the instructor mentioned that he has never seen that part get damaged before.

Yeah, that's how I saw it too. I've not read the manga, but I've enjoyed all three episodes a lot. I really hope we get to learn more about the Titans soon - but I also find them really, really creepy, which is pretty unusual for me. It gives them a genuine fear factor. I'm okay with Ep.3 focussing on Eren and his endeavour, but honestly, I want more Mikasa. :V

Contemplating whether or not to start reading the manga. I've never watched a show while reading the source material concurrently, but it's tempting. Seems like there is a lot of potential for the lore to really be fleshed out, but we'll see.

Mucho love for the OP as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom